In Southern Towns, 'Segregation Academies' Are Still Going Strong

Dec 13, 2012 | Posted by: Mr_Bill | Full story: www.theatlantic.com

In the 1960s and '70s, towns across the South created inexpensive private schools to keep white students from having to mix with black.

took LaToysha Brown 13 years to realize how little interaction she had with white peers in her Mississippi Delta town: not at church, not at school, not at anywhere. The realization dawned when she was in the seventh grade, studying the civil rights movement at an after-school program called the Sunflower County Freedom Project. It didn't bother her at first. By high school, however, Brown had started to wonder if separate could ever be equal.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of369
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Dec 20, 2012
 
oh yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, I had the same thing happen to me when I lived in the Northeast........
That's not suprising considering you likely were hanging out with your fellow KKKers at the time.
oh yeah

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Dec 20, 2012
 
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not suprising considering you likely were hanging out with your fellow KKKers at the time.
Just as you were when you were living down South........
oh yeah

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Dec 20, 2012
 
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you missed the part where they noted the Klan is Michigan was NOT the violent version like seen in the south......
Yes we have bigots and even KKK'ers here. They're just not as violent as in the confederacy.
Ah yes, the kindler, gentler Klan......

Now that's funny

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Dec 20, 2012
 
oh yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
Just as you were when you were living down South........
No, it was always total strangers who would assume I was a bigot too just because I was white.

I made sure they remained total strangers.
A Buffalo Soldier

Norwich, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Jan 4, 2013
 
Someone should call the racist of Mississippi on sending their youngsters to private academies to keep them from mingling with or befriending black kids. But in the last 25 or so years they have allowed 2 to 3 token blacks to attend the academies for the sole reason of receiving federal and state dollars to support their racist academies that only exist because off long seeded hatred and for no other reason, only $$$. I suggest that the Federal Justice Department be informed of this matter, oh by the way I'm a born and bred Mississippian, I lived the hate there and I am so proud to be a Mississippian. Yet, I am ashamed of the bigotry, the hatred, and of our state finishing first in everything that's negative and last in everything that's positive. Mississippian, if you are a bigot the next time you look in a mirror you should be ashamed too !!!!!

Since: Jul 07

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Jan 4, 2013
 
A Buffalo Soldier wrote:
Someone should call the racist of Mississippi on sending their youngsters to private academies to keep them from mingling with or befriending black kids. But in the last 25 or so years they have allowed 2 to 3 token blacks to attend the academies for the sole reason of receiving federal and state dollars to support their racist academies that only exist because off long seeded hatred and for no other reason, only $$$. I suggest that the Federal Justice Department be informed of this matter, oh by the way I'm a born and bred Mississippian, I lived the hate there and I am so proud to be a Mississippian. Yet, I am ashamed of the bigotry, the hatred, and of our state finishing first in everything that's negative and last in everything that's positive. Mississippian, if you are a bigot the next time you look in a mirror you should be ashamed too !!!!!
news flash: bigotry and hatred exist everywhere. rwanda, nazis, stalin, khmer rouge, skinheads in london, kkk in indiana, islamic fanatics. sure it is in the south. but name a place where it ain't...

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Jan 4, 2013
 

Judged:

1

A Buffalo Soldier wrote:
Someone should call the racist of Mississippi on sending their youngsters to private academies to keep them from mingling with or befriending black kids. But in the last 25 or so years they have allowed 2 to 3 token blacks to attend the academies for the sole reason of receiving federal and state dollars to support their racist academies that only exist because off long seeded hatred and for no other reason, only $$$. I suggest that the Federal Justice Department be informed of this matter, oh by the way I'm a born and bred Mississippian, I lived the hate there and I am so proud to be a Mississippian. Yet, I am ashamed of the bigotry, the hatred, and of our state finishing first in everything that's negative and last in everything that's positive. Mississippian, if you are a bigot the next time you look in a mirror you should be ashamed too !!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Jan 4, 2013
 

Judged:

1

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>Having lived in the confederacy for numerous years while in the military, I can say without hesitation that the resistance to diversifying schools & neighborhoods is DEFINITELY due to racism. That fake 'southern hospitality' only applies as long as you follow the rules and stay on your side of town.

Being white, everyone assumed I had the same racist attitudes they did, and they would often let the n-word fly in casual conversation- as long as no blacks were within earshot (they were typical cowards as well as bigots).

Yes, you have the right to be a racist. And we have the right to call you out for it.
no one cares. Obammy has close to 50% unemployment for the black youth and almost 15% unemployment for all blacks. I say if that isn't racism I don't know what is. I say a racist would do better for them.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Jan 4, 2013
 
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
no one cares. Obammy has close to 50% unemployment for the black youth and almost 15% unemployment for all blacks. I say if that isn't racism I don't know what is. I say a racist would do better for them.
Oh yes, we know you'd have them ALL employed back in the cotton fields for $1/day. At least you'd have to pay them something this time.......
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Jan 4, 2013
 
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>Oh yes, we know you'd have them ALL employed back in the cotton fields for $1/day. At least you'd have to pay them something this time.......
what cotton field? Under Bush they were employed. Now they draw a check. That is slavery. They are slaves to obammy. They get their food and shelter from someone else. Not from their labor. Are they better off now than before? No definitely not.

You can keep your racism crap. It's jobs. We need jobs. Obammy never took an economics class and it shows. No one cares about race.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Jan 5, 2013
 
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
what cotton field? Under Bush they were employed. Now they draw a check. That is slavery. They are slaves to obammy. They get their food and shelter from someone else. Not from their labor. Are they better off now than before? No definitely not.
You can keep your racism crap. It's jobs. We need jobs. Obammy never took an economics class and it shows. No one cares about race.
If no one cares about race, then why do you keep bringing it up? Why point out the disparity between black & white employment if "no one cares about race"?........

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Jan 5, 2013
 
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
what cotton field? Under Bush they were employed. Now they draw a check. That is slavery. They are slaves to obammy. They get their food and shelter from someone else. Not from their labor. Are they better off now than before? No definitely not.
You can keep your racism crap. It's jobs. We need jobs. Obammy never took an economics class and it shows. No one cares about race.
There are lots of jobs available, which is why millions of people are working.

The question is why are more blacks unemployed than whites? Why are employers less likely to hire a black person than a white person applying for the same job?
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Jan 5, 2013
 
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>If no one cares about race, then why do you keep bringing it up? Why point out the disparity between black & white employment if "no one cares about race"?........
I didn't. You did. I just proved that the liberals don't care about race either except as a way to keep blacks poor and voting for them.
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Jan 5, 2013
 
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>There are lots of jobs available, which is why millions of people are working.

The question is why are more blacks unemployed than whites? Why are employers less likely to hire a black person than a white person applying for the same job?
them why did over 12 million people seek work last month and come up empty? Why is over 23 million people unemployed or under employed? Why is almost 50% of black youths unemployed? Why is almost 14% of all blacks unemployed?

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Jan 5, 2013
 
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
them why did over 12 million people seek work last month and come up empty? Why is over 23 million people unemployed or under employed? Why is almost 50% of black youths unemployed? Why is almost 14% of all blacks unemployed?
Beause there are a lot of racists who refuse to hire black people.
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Jan 5, 2013
 
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>Beause there are a lot of racists who refuse to hire black people.
in all those northern cities? All of blacks employment problems are because of race? Or does the economy just stink really bad?

And over 12 million looked for work last month and didn't find it. What % of them were black? Over 23 million are either unemployed or under employed. Only a small part of them are black. Why can't they get work? Because obammy has tanked the economy for good. Forever.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Jan 5, 2013
 
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
in all those northern cities? All of blacks employment problems are because of race? Or does the economy just stink really bad?
And over 12 million looked for work last month and didn't find it. What % of them were black? Over 23 million are either unemployed or under employed. Only a small part of them are black. Why can't they get work? Because obammy has tanked the economy for good. Forever.
If it was just the economy then blacks & whites should have about the same unemployment rate. As you admit, blacks have a disproportionately higher unemployment rate. The only difference is the majority of employers are white and tend to favor hiring white employees.
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
Jan 5, 2013
 
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>If it was just the economy then blacks & whites should have about the same unemployment rate. As you admit, blacks have a disproportionately higher unemployment rate. The only difference is the majority of employers are white and tend to favor hiring white employees.
or there are other factors. Like education. Drug tests. Background checks. The fact that liberals have told blacks they are victims and inferior so they should just take welfare as a career choice. Either way there are over 1 million fewer jobs than the day obammy took office. And the pay is less. Over $4000 per household less.

Oh and there are over 500,000 fewer women employed today than the day obammy took office.
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41
Jan 5, 2013
 
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>If it was just the economy then blacks & whites should have about the same unemployment rate. As you admit, blacks have a disproportionately higher unemployment rate. The only difference is the majority of employers are white and tend to favor hiring white employees.
and you might explain why the blacks unemployment rates were so much better under Bush than they are under obammy. Way way way better.
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43
Jan 5, 2013
 
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>If it was just the economy then blacks & whites should have about the same unemployment rate. As you admit, blacks have a disproportionately higher unemployment rate. The only difference is the majority of employers are white and tend to favor hiring white employees.
and Reagan was awesome for black people.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/201...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of369
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••