Missouri Sex Offender Laws: Need to b...

Missouri Sex Offender Laws: Need to be changed?

There are 110 comments on the KFVS12 story from Jan 10, 2008, titled Missouri Sex Offender Laws: Need to be changed?. In it, KFVS12 reports that:

“It doesn't keep you from getting in your car going outside premises. I don't understand why we had the law to begin with”

In some cases, current law can actually make it harder for you to keep tabs on sex offenders in your neighborhood. via KFVS12

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KFVS12.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Jan

Festus, MO

#1 Jan 13, 2008
The ignorance continues. Where is the connection between ALL sex offenders and any danger to children? The real danger is in the labeling all sex offenders as potential child molesters. This label keeps men and women convicted of any sex related crime from rebuilding their lives with their families and leaves thousands of children from having 2 parent families. Restrictions put on these offenders restrict where they live and participation in their childrens lives. The research is out there and there is NO correlation between those that offend against adults and those that offend against children. Maybe if the restrictions limiting interaction with children were directed at those with prior convictions involving CHILDREN, law inforcment would be able to better protect our children!! As I previously stated there are many studies out there and the only sex offenders that pose any possible danger to children where previously convicted of crimes involving children. Once again this is a case of the government passing laws without researching the problem and therefore causing undue hardship on thousands of adults and children.
David Boonville Missouri

United States

#2 Sep 3, 2008
I agree that it is wrong to lable all sex offenders for the rest ofr their lives. It is rather two-faced to say you are going to habilitate a sex offender to behave and be "normal" in society when there is a continuous push to single them out and keep them in public view.
Offender on the list

Saint Louis, MO

#3 Sep 18, 2008
I was convicted in 1996 for a sex offense I commited in 1993. My victim was 10. What I did was a terrible, disgusting thing. I make no excuses for what I did. During my time in prison, I spent a full year in the Missouri Sex Offender Program (MOSOP) during which I participated in regular group therapy sessions. By the time I was released I had learned some valuable tools to keep from reoffending. And from the time of my release until I was off parole I was required to attend relapse prevention therapy. I have worked hard to rebuild my life, to be a law abiding citizen, a productive member of society. I have since remarried and have a daughter. The thinking that lead to my offense is no longer a part of who I am. But my family continues to be punished for what I did 15 years ago. I am not a predator, I have no sexual urges toward children. I have had no incidents where there was even a hint of inappropriate conduct with a child. Why does society think that keeping track of me for the rest of my life will somehow protect children from me? I think lifetime registry for single offenses are ineffective. Yes, track offenders for a defined period of time. If there are legitimate concerns then extend that time. But if a person has obeyed all the laws and has had no accusations or complaints then they should be allowed, after a reasonable time, to get on with their life.
One thing that we really need are accurate statistics on sex crimes. Almost every report I have seen shows sex offenders have one of the lowest recidivism (reoffending) rates. Yes, it is an extremely high profile crime and it should be, especially against children. But let's educate people on how to protect their kids, not pass laws to give them a false sense of security!
Two more things: First, if you have read this far then I thank you for taking the time. Second, I have a daughter who was a victim of sexual abuse (by her step-father) so I have the unique perspective of seeing this from more than one side. But I hold to my views. Let's have laws that are effective and make sense. Don't let politicians and the fear they promote drive us to make poor decisions.
also registered

Watsontown, PA

#4 Sep 28, 2008
Well, I just got notification that i will place a sign on my door that says "no candy at this house" on my front door on Halloween night. I have been given a paper that says I will stay in my house with the porch lights off on theat night as well. I have also been informed that I will not participate in Haloween functions or leave my house between the hours of 5PM and 10 PM that night. I have completed MOSOP over 4 years ago and only now has this ever been an issue. I do not think my 8 year old will understand. I am verycertain that i will not pursue any child and that I would not treat another person's child for diaper rash even if their life depended on it. How many years should i miss the important things to my daughter before i can actually "live" in the society i currently exist in. To my daughter I am not a child molester...I am Dad. I hope they will tie me up a little tighter so i can't be that either.
att girl

United States

#5 Sep 29, 2008
Jan wrote:
The ignorance continues. Where is the connection between ALL sex offenders and any danger to children? The real danger is in the labeling all sex offenders as potential child molesters. This label keeps men and women convicted of any sex related crime from rebuilding their lives with their families and leaves thousands of children from having 2 parent families. Restrictions put on these offenders restrict where they live and participation in their childrens lives. The research is out there and there is NO correlation between those that offend against adults and those that offend against children. Maybe if the restrictions limiting interaction with children were directed at those with prior convictions involving CHILDREN, law inforcment would be able to better protect our children!! As I previously stated there are many studies out there and the only sex offenders that pose any possible danger to children where previously convicted of crimes involving children. Once again this is a case of the government passing laws without researching the problem and therefore causing undue hardship on thousands of adults and children.
AMEN! my husband is labeled a sex offender. The crime was in 1999 he was 20, and the "victim" was 17. She was lying to get even with him for not wanting a relationship with her after having aconsentual sexual episode. Not fully understanding taking a plea bargain would do he plead out. It has kept him from getting good jobs. It has also made others stay isolated from him. The age of consenual sex is now 17. Imagine that. Nevertheless, my husband is still "branded"
But, God is in control and "vengance is mine thus saith the Lord" so i have no doubt "B.D." will have a little karma coming her way ..
Richard

Blythe, CA

#6 Oct 1, 2008
also registered wrote:
Well, I just got notification that i will place a sign on my door that says "no candy at this house" on my front door on Halloween night. I have been given a paper that says I will stay in my house with the porch lights off on theat night as well. I have also been informed that I will not participate in Haloween functions or leave my house between the hours of 5PM and 10 PM that night. I have completed MOSOP over 4 years ago and only now has this ever been an issue. I do not think my 8 year old will understand. I am verycertain that i will not pursue any child and that I would not treat another person's child for diaper rash even if their life depended on it. How many years should i miss the important things to my daughter before i can actually "live" in the society i currently exist in. To my daughter I am not a child molester...I am Dad. I hope they will tie me up a little tighter so i can't be that either.
I also think that if a person can prove he/she is a law abideing productive member of this great country we live in then and only then should we be given a second chance to relax and put our past behind us insted of haveing it hanging in our face all the time after 15 years of doing the best you can.
Richard

Blythe, CA

#7 Oct 1, 2008
I belive a person deserves the right to be giveing a second chance inlife not giveing anyone the right to create a victim .I just think after a person has paid his or debt. to society and shows to be a productive member then let it rest so they can move on with there lives and put the past where it belongs.
Wayne

Columbia, MO

#8 Oct 3, 2008
You deserved to tracked for as long as the law allows. How about erring on the side of caution for children and not criminals.
Survivor

Aurora, CO

#9 Oct 3, 2008
Richard wrote:
I belive a person deserves the right to be giveing a second chance inlife not giveing anyone the right to create a victim .I just think after a person has paid his or debt. to society and shows to be a productive member then let it rest so they can move on with there lives and put the past where it belongs.
You have got to be kidding, right? Let me get on my soapbox for just a moment to tell you this...
I child who has been molested does not get a second chance! They are forever different, they lose pieces of themselves that they can never get back. Some live in terror and suffer anxiety and depression forever. There is no amount of prison time you can spend that equals the victim's sentence. Offenders get out of prison and scream for rights and scream for society to allow them to move on. Do any of them stop to think of the rights they took, the damage they created, do they stop to think about the victims that can never fully move on? What is a productive member of society? I was rescued 24 years ago, yes, I am a survivor. I have my good days. I am a wife and a mother. AND I still have days that I am just drowning in the sickness of all of it. Days that I just have to stay in bed and sleep it off, like a bad hangover.
dancemom

Miami, FL

#10 Oct 10, 2008
also registered wrote:
i agree there needs to be re-evaluation for certain labled sex offenders. i also agree your family should not be punished, nor your dtr. my sisters live in and the father of her son is a registered offender. he was 29 when he raped a 16 yo girl with a friend of his. although he hasn't committed another sex crime to my knowledge, he has been in and out of jail continually since being released. for the past 3 years he's been driving with a revoked license, all the while smoking weed and drinking. so...in this case..yes..keep this idiot off the streets on halloween. but for those who are truely rehabilitated or falsely labeled, give them the benefit of the doubt. not an idiot like my sisters live in who can't seem to abide by any of our laws.
Jacquie

Columbia, MO

#11 Oct 15, 2008
dancemom wrote:
<quoted text>
i agree there needs to be re-evaluation for certain labled sex offenders. i also agree your family should not be punished, nor your dtr. my sisters live in and the father of her son is a registered offender. he was 29 when he raped a 16 yo girl with a friend of his. although he hasn't committed another sex crime to my knowledge, he has been in and out of jail continually since being released. for the past 3 years he's been driving with a revoked license, all the while smoking weed and drinking. so...in this case..yes..keep this idiot off the streets on halloween. but for those who are truely rehabilitated or falsely labeled, give them the benefit of the doubt. not an idiot like my sisters live in who can't seem to abide by any of our laws.
Does placing more restrictions and hurting more children and families take the pain from the victim away? No...the victim still has the pain and has to live with it the rest of his/her life. So, does the offender. They may be out of prison; but they still have to live with what they did and how it has affected everyone around them for the rest of their life. Giving them a second-chance does not mean that they can walk away and not be damaged by it. Where is restorative justice in this? God is in control and He forgives...why can't society?
Jacquie

Columbia, MO

#12 Oct 15, 2008
Survivor wrote:
<quoted text>
You have got to be kidding, right? Let me get on my soapbox for just a moment to tell you this...
I child who has been molested does not get a second chance! They are forever different, they lose pieces of themselves that they can never get back. Some live in terror and suffer anxiety and depression forever. There is no amount of prison time you can spend that equals the victim's sentence. Offenders get out of prison and scream for rights and scream for society to allow them to move on. Do any of them stop to think of the rights they took, the damage they created, do they stop to think about the victims that can never fully move on? What is a productive member of society? I was rescued 24 years ago, yes, I am a survivor. I have my good days. I am a wife and a mother. AND I still have days that I am just drowning in the sickness of all of it. Days that I just have to stay in bed and sleep it off, like a bad hangover.
Does placing more restrictions and hurting more children and families take the pain from the victim away? No...the victim still has the pain and has to live with it the rest of his/her life. So, does the offender. They may be out of prison; but they still have to live with what they did and how it has affected everyone around them for the rest of their life. Giving them a second-chance does not mean that they can walk away and not be damaged by it. Where is restorative justice in this? God is in control and He forgives...why can't society?
Jacquie

Columbia, MO

#13 Oct 15, 2008
dancemom wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I posted a comment on yours instead of the one I intended.

Since: Sep 08

Peidmont MO

#14 Oct 15, 2008
Jacquie wrote:
<quoted text>
The last thing a victim wants to hear about is the pain their abuser has suffered. Where was my "restorative justice"? He walked out of prison, after serving a mere 3 years, started a new life, continues to lie to his family and friends, and admittadly does not give me a second thought.(I asked him, personally) I of course got on with my life, didn't trust anyone until the last few years, initially, doctors didn't think I'd be able to carry a baby full term, luckily, after 3 high risk pregnancies, I did have 3, however, with the combination of childhood abuse and 3 pregnancies, I got to have a hysterectomy at the age of 26. My offender also promised to kill me if I ever told. Personally, I'd like to know where he is for the rest of his life. What else did I get? Hurt, guilt, anger, sadness, and I will always wonder why he hated me. Why do people feel the need to throw God into the mix? I don't believe that God will ever forgive him for what he has done to children, in fact, I think that God will make him regret that he ever existed.
Drury Mo

United States

#15 Oct 15, 2008
Survivor wrote:
<quoted text>
I am also a survivor but I went to counceling and don't have those good or bad days and have went on to a full productive live even though the person who did this to me was never procecuted for his crime and never will be. But when I became an adult I sought help for my problem and became an over protective parent. You need a good councelor so you don't lay down and stay in bed but become a whole complete person and are able to accept what happened and that it wasn't your fault. I can face what happened and it makes me a stronger better person today, no one can take that away from me ever!!!
stupid laws

Kansas City, MO

#16 Oct 19, 2008
Now lets look at some of the numbers the US Dept.Of Justice has come up when doing studies on the issue of sex offenders. 90% of sexual assaults are commited by a person well known and trusted by the victim, with over 50% of them being a family member. 95% of sexual assaults are commited by a person with no prior arrest record at all.
3.5% of sex offenders are re-convicted of a new sex crime within 3 years of release from prison. This makes them one of the lowest recidivism rates amoung all criminals, with murders being the lowest. Other criminals are at a reconviction rate of 40% to 75%. What we as a public should demand of those elected to office? We should demand that those in office write a law that would only require those who are re offenders register. Since 95% of sex offences are someone with no record i would be worried about those.
And then only post those sex offenders on a public sex offender registry. The others should be able to re- build their life, so they do not become one of the 3.5%.
stupid laws

Kansas City, MO

#18 Oct 20, 2008
DUDE this forum is not about political things. But why would i vote for mccain who is no different then obama. on one hand we have a white old geeser who could die as he is not in good health leaving a vp who cant speak and knows nothing about how to be a vp or anything else for that matter. Both are friends and in cahoots with the rothschilds and a member of the trilatteral commission<P>
So then the other hand we have another member of the trilatteral comisson, the CFR and is a good speaker and gets his point across better. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE is 1 is young and black the other old and white. In all other aspects they both bow to the same world leaders and both want the North american union and niether know squat about the constitution.<P><P >

Your only hope is vote 3rd party so we can be done with the 2 party system once and for all
prominent business owner

Harrisonville, MO

#19 Oct 23, 2008
I am a prominent busines owner/father/sex offender. I was convicted of statutory rape in my teen years with which i was lied to. The judge said ignorance is not an excuse. This was over ten years ago. I did time over it and now havent been in any trouble since i was released. I completed all programs with flying colors and still have to register the rest of my life. Why should i be classified with a child molestor or rapist when i commited no such crime. I have moved on with my life but still put up with the ignorance of everyday people who dont know what its like. All sex offenses are wrong but in such cases like mine where i didnt even know i was committing a crime and it was consentual shouldnt be classified with the other sex offenders that knew what they were doing! Now being a prominent business owner, do some of my regular customers know about my crime? YES. and they dont care but still I have to be "labeled" for the rest of my life. Now ive read through some of the blogs on here and agree with most of them and understand where everyone is coming from. Now I have a 5 year old son and the law is gonna tell me I cant take him trick or treating. B.S. Watch me. Im not a predator or reoccurring sex offender. I do what i am supposed to according to the laws but I am going to take my son trick or treating. Its not fair to us that had a mishap when we were kids to young to know better. And to survivor from WY I am truly sorry for what happened to you but not all sex offenders are the same!! Get some therapy EVERYONE can use it, believe me it helps! If youve read this far thank you.
Offender on the list

Saint Louis, MO

#20 Nov 30, 2008
As an offender, my main responsibility to my victim is to have no other victims. I know that what I did was terribly wrong and I am truly sorry for what I did. I am actually not opposed to life-long registration. But, I do believe that after a certain period of time that my registration should no longer be public, but should be limited to law enforcement agencies. I have not been in trouble since I was released 9 years ago. I have completed every program required and then some. I feel I have paid my debt.
I understand that my victim has to live with what I did to her for the rest of her life. But, what about the children killed by drunk drivers? Their lives were ENDED by someone who can get out of prison, move into your neighborhood, and do what they want without anyone having to let you know. Don't you want to be protected from them, too?
One last thing. For Halloween I was told that I had to place a sign on my door saying "No candy or treats here" and also that I had to turn off my porch light. The funny thing is, with my porch light out, you couldn't read the darn sign! Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?
My wife and I are wanting to start a website to provide support to offenders and their families who are working to bring some normalcy to their lives. I will be setting up an email account to handle all correspondence about the prospective site. As soon as I do I will post it here for anyone interested.
To those offenders out there who haven't learned their lesson, I hope you get help before you hurt another person. To those who have learned, I wish you the best. And, remember, the best thing you can do for your victim is to not have any more victims.
a survior of abuse

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#21 Dec 10, 2008
I have read everyone of the post on here and for sex offenders to think that just because they spent time in prison that it should clear there records is the stupidest thing Ive ever heard. Im a firm believer that your pictures, names and address should be posted in every newpaper in the country along with the age and sexual acts you committed on a trusting little girl or boy you destroyed forever.
Some of you think just because you done your time everything should go away but as a victim of sexual abuse you need to understand the pain and fear never goses away.
I was raped by a close family member when I was six years old and it contiuned until i was 13 years old and left home.
At six a little girl doesnt know what is happening and when your told that if you tell nobody will believe it and that youll be taken away never to see you momma again you belive it.
My rapest used to hold me down so his friends could have a turn. I wasnt safe anywhere.
When I left home at 13 I rented my own place, worked a grave yard sift as a waitress in a truck stop and never trusted anybody. My boss (a woman) would pick me up and take me to work and she would take me home after my shift. My mother didnt care where I was at as long as I didnt mess up her welfare check and SS check she got me and my little sister. Life sucked and I had to grow up fast. I survied and Im happily married 36 years and have two children of my own. Because of what happen to me I was a over prtective mother butmy kids were never abused. I SURVIVED!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Missouri Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
need horny girls on snapchat (Jun '16) Feb 22 ThePriceisA 3
News Lethal Injection Under Scrutiny (Sep '07) Feb 21 Concerned 153
News Tree used for hangings in southeast Missouri ta... (Apr '16) Feb 19 Watching 5
Girl Feb 18 Hrdin 1
Undocumented or a immigrant? Need gov assistanc... Feb 15 Carl 1
News Blunt's aide haunted by nude photos on web (Mar '07) Feb 14 Anon 13
News Missouri budget seeks mix of cuts, small hikes ... Feb 4 Predator Harm In ... 1
More from around the web