Posted in the Missouri Forum

First Prev
of 27
Next Last
michael

United States

#1 Dec 2, 2008
My Situation,

Hello here is my situation with child support. For one the support amount has already been placed and the divorce has been finalized by the state/county. Thats a whole case in itself because I was never served the papers. So on the child support, Im currently paying 384.00 a month. Would I like to have this lowered yes. But right now that is not the issue. The issue is as follows. My support amount is was based on 2000 a month that I make. Thats 2000 a month, for 52 weeks in a year, Well I dont work 52 weeks a year, Nor do I always get 40 hours a week.

I was terminated from a job in the spring of 2007. So I took a lower paying job because thats all that I could find at that time. Well upon doing this I submitted for a modification because my pay was half of what I was making. Well I sent the modification in, and It was denied for the reason that I CHOSE to take a Lower paying Job. This was not the case and I dont see how these people have the right to even say that was the case. So anyways I kept this job until I found a better job doing what I was before. Which is now. The problem that Im having now is as follows.

Im a seasonal worker, I drive a concrete truck for a living, With the winter coming and the economy the way it is, I get my hours cut in half, Some days and weeks I dont even work period. Well the weeks i do get some work,, say 20 hours, CS still takes there Full payment out. When it falls below 50% they take half, I even filed for unemployment for the weeks That I dont work, And they take half of that. So On the weeks that I dont work, I get a check for 86.00 dollars. All in all I dont mind paying child support, But lets be fare about it. My support amount is was based on 2000 a month that I make. Thats 2000 a month, for 52 weeks in a year, Well I dont work 52 weeks a year, Nor do I always get 40 hours a week.

When I call them they tell me to bad thats just the way it is. If I dont agree to hire an attorney. So I tell them where am I suppose to get the money to get an attorney, They recommended me to legal services of missery, i mean missouri. When I called them the FIRST question they asked me was is this for a Modification, I said Yes, They said SORRY we cant take Your Case, WOW imagine that !!

So if someone could please help me I would be very very happy. Im in the process of being evicted cause I cant pay my rent, I already lost my car, Repoed. I have 2 pairs of jeans and very little food.

Thank You Again,
Michael
disgusted

Wheatland, MO

#2 Dec 2, 2008
you are not the only one in this mess. You might try talking to your state representative. Also, you need to write/e-mail senator chuck purgason. The child support laws in Mo are very unfair and more fathers need to take a stand. They dont care if you have enough money to survive! My son and my brother has been through this and we had to hire an attorney to get anything done. The laws need to change. Also, did you realize you have to pay support if your child goes to college! I think you should help if you are able, but the law makes you do it. Do you think its fair that married parents don't have to pay for college unless they want to, its their choice.. Or children that draw social security, it stops at 18. why dont the law make them pay. totally unfair! You really need to contact the lawmakers of Mo, I have and I encourage others to do the same. They need to hear from more than one person. And, good luck to you.
Faraway

Seattle, WA

#3 Dec 2, 2008
I am sorry to hear about your situation. I have seen boths sides of this issue. I am married to a wonderful man and I have seen him go give blood plasma to pay for gas because he couldn't pay his child support and live. On the other hand he has raised my daughter and her father fought paying $179 per mo. for 13 years. He would change jobs when CSE sent the garnishment. He called and told them that our daughter had been adopted so he wouldn't have to pay support. We had asked him to give up rights but he never would do it. He never sends cards or makes calls. He is now living with a sugar momma, filing for disability for the past 3 years, driving without a license and is $12,000 behind is support. CSE offered him Parent's Fair Share and he did not show for orientation. That could have stopped his arrearage from accumulating for 12 months if he had just enrolled. It is a class for about one hour a week and they can help with money for gas, clothing, job training and loads of other things but he decided that he didn't want to. To keep them from sending you to jail. Send a payment.. even if it is just $10.00 a month. Ask to be enrolled in Parent's Fair Share. I know men that obtained CDL's through this program. I wish you luck!

“Just Me!!”

Since: Oct 07

Moberly shhhhhhh

#4 Dec 4, 2008
They dont even have to take you to court to change your child support. Missouri changed mine and then in formed me. Bunch of jerks they have working for them. I went from 300 a month to 561 overnite. Because Im diabled. Hell I dont even make enough to support myself now. Has this happened to anyone else?
Susan in Texas

Forney, TX

#5 Dec 14, 2008
Michael,
Sorry about your mess. There are PLENTY of men in your same situation. If the CP wants free legal advise that is fine, but the NCP has to pay. That is a huge problem. If you are fighting because you don't have enough money to live, how are you going to find the money for a $5K retainer?
Missouri says that they care about the children, but all I see is them tearing families further apart.
disgusted

El Dorado Springs, MO

#6 Dec 15, 2008
Susan in Texas wrote:
Michael,
Sorry about your mess. There are PLENTY of men in your same situation. If the CP wants free legal advise that is fine, but the NCP has to pay. That is a huge problem. If you are fighting because you don't have enough money to live, how are you going to find the money for a $5K retainer?
Missouri says that they care about the children, but all I see is them tearing families further apart.
AMEN
Paid Blog is Clog

Raleigh, NC

#7 Dec 16, 2008
Paid bloggers sign in and out of sites using different names, but are actually holding conversations with themselves.LMAO
flittering

United States

#8 Dec 16, 2008
well, I know it sounds horrible, but it could be worse. My husband is being ordered to pay about $700 a month,(more than half his pay) for 2 children that his ex will not let him see (it's been almost 5 years now). we live in Missouri, order originated in Pa. Missouri will enforce it, but not modify it...so they say, but they happily added $100 a month to the amount last month for arrears...when the original amount included that...isn't that modifying it?? PA will not modify the order (even though hwe has another child) without him making an appearence with a lawyer...only misssouri legal aid won't help, and with all of that being taken out of his wages, we can't afford a lawyer. It's a vicious draining cycle.

Hell yes, the whole system is corrupt. Fathers have NO rights unless they can afford to buy a Lawyer to enforce them.
disgusted

El Dorado Springs, MO

#9 Dec 16, 2008
flittering wrote:
well, I know it sounds horrible, but it could be worse. My husband is being ordered to pay about $700 a month,(more than half his pay) for 2 children that his ex will not let him see (it's been almost 5 years now). we live in Missouri, order originated in Pa. Missouri will enforce it, but not modify it...so they say, but they happily added $100 a month to the amount last month for arrears...when the original amount included that...isn't that modifying it?? PA will not modify the order (even though hwe has another child) without him making an appearence with a lawyer...only misssouri legal aid won't help, and with all of that being taken out of his wages, we can't afford a lawyer. It's a vicious draining cycle.
Hell yes, the whole system is corrupt. Fathers have NO rights unless they can afford to buy a Lawyer to enforce them.
Write to Senator Chuck Purgason. I am gonna drive those lawmakers crazy til they do something. I completely understand as this is happening to my som. Good Luck!
Mothers Too

Poplar Bluff, MO

#10 Dec 16, 2008
flittering wrote:
I Wholeheartedly agree. However I am a mother and long story short my kids are suppose to live with there father (after a crooked divorce) but have lived with me for over a year and I still have to pay him child support. All he has to do is call and have it dropped but wont make the call. The only other way is to hire a lawyer and take it to court...who can afford that again.
disgusted

El Dorado Springs, MO

#11 Dec 17, 2008
Mothers Too wrote:
<quoted text> I Wholeheartedly agree. However I am a mother and long story short my kids are suppose to live with there father (after a crooked divorce) but have lived with me for over a year and I still have to pay him child support. All he has to do is call and have it dropped but wont make the call. The only other way is to hire a lawyer and take it to court...who can afford that again.
Try legal aid or call child support enforcement and request a hearing. It will take months but eventually you will get one! Good luck.
Disgusted 2

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#12 Dec 17, 2008
Hey disgusted...you get the hearing unless the CP's attorney has a conflict. That's what happened to us. I do feel that my husband needs to support his kids but I agree the situation in MO is way out of whack.
My husband's oldest son is now 19, dropped out of highschool and is not attending any other school. State took him off the order in March but it did not change the child support amount (1300/mo). So now we are paying that amount for 1 child - a 16 year old which by the way we have not seen since 2003 when he was 11!! We cannot afford attorney and put in a request earlier this summer for a hearing. Scheduled for Nov 7th and on Nov 5th her attorney told them he had a conflict and would have to reschedule (even though he had 3 months advance notice). Now our hearing will need to be rescheduled and they won't even tell us how long it will take....possibly Jan or Feb!! Meanwhile she continues to receive same amount...even though they have ruled it should be dropped to $300/mo (since she now has a master's degree and new job).
So of course her attorney had a "conflict", but if we had had a conflict the hearing would still have taken place. So, still we wait, not having the $3k-$5k to hire an attorney. I will contact my rep if someone has the info - Wentzville, MO
disgusted

El Dorado Springs, MO

#13 Dec 18, 2008
Disgusted 2 wrote:
Hey disgusted...you get the hearing unless the CP's attorney has a conflict. That's what happened to us. I do feel that my husband needs to support his kids but I agree the situation in MO is way out of whack.
My husband's oldest son is now 19, dropped out of highschool and is not attending any other school. State took him off the order in March but it did not change the child support amount (1300/mo). So now we are paying that amount for 1 child - a 16 year old which by the way we have not seen since 2003 when he was 11!! We cannot afford attorney and put in a request earlier this summer for a hearing. Scheduled for Nov 7th and on Nov 5th her attorney told them he had a conflict and would have to reschedule (even though he had 3 months advance notice). Now our hearing will need to be rescheduled and they won't even tell us how long it will take....possibly Jan or Feb!! Meanwhile she continues to receive same amount...even though they have ruled it should be dropped to $300/mo (since she now has a master's degree and new job).
So of course her attorney had a "conflict", but if we had had a conflict the hearing would still have taken place. So, still we wait, not having the $3k-$5k to hire an attorney. I will contact my rep if someone has the info - Wentzville, MO
I completely understand, we have been there and it is the most frustrating thing. Look on the internet and find out who your state representative is and your senator and e-mail them with your situation. We did that and the representative met me in my town and heard our story and did help us. Also I have been talking to our senator chuck purgason and he has offered to do what he can. I am urging people to do this cause I think if we voice our opinion enough to the right people, who knows, it cant hurt. Good luck and keep us informed.
Susan in Texas

Forney, TX

#14 Dec 22, 2008
Disgusted 2 wrote:
Try:
http://www.courts.mo.gov/page.asp...

There are emancipation forms there. Call your clerk of the circuit court too. They have a child support division and can be helpful.
hello

Wentzville, MO

#15 Dec 24, 2008
It's all about who has the biggest baddest lawyer and how loud they scream! That is a fact, and it's not just in Missouri, It happens in every state! 3K retainer,$225.00 an hour, well let me tell you they charge you everytime they just pick up your file, if they have to read anything, make their secretary do a little typing or put a stamp on something, you had best grab your _ss and hang on! It don't take them but about a week maybe two to start needing more money, and you still don't get to see your kids!!! The way I see it, you aren't doing anything but pi*sing in a fan!!
Not

Knightdale, NC

#16 Dec 29, 2008
much interesting going on here.
Faraway

Seattle, WA

#17 Dec 30, 2008
The way I have seen the system work is that if children are recieving state aid. CSE will pursue the NCP with a vengence. If the children are supported without assistance from the state the NCP is practically free to do as they wish.
Dustin

United States

#18 Jan 17, 2009
Micheal,
I feel for ya and I am in the same boat. I was ordered to pay 828 a month for two children, this was while I stood in front of him with a leg that had a 30% chance of even staying on my body. I was of work for 10 months before getting released, then the dirt bag I worked for kept telling me "no work today call me tomorrow" that went on for about 4 months. Even after he and everyone in the company sent a card to the hospital stating "Don't worry you will always have a job. That never happened (Bird Electric llc Kansas City Mo on Southwest Blvd.) So by the time I was back to work I had around $9,000 in back Child support, and the state said I have to pay 1,300 a month to make it up Remeber two kids that are uninsured and no daycare and mom quit her job and is living with his boyfriends Mother, her only bill is her cell phone. I know I owe the money its for my children but should I have to live under a bridge, while she is getting unemployment too? Not literally undere the bridge, yet. I got my paycheck last week and I was shocked to see it was for less than $140, seriously. I have been an electrician for 13 years and should be able to live somewhat comfortably. But Missouri won't let that happen, The fact is that she never should have got custody(Her friends have even stated this to me numerous times over the past 2 years) and I beg any state offical to look into the preceedings. And the police reports of neglect and drinking and driving with the kids in the car, and left home alone. What about fathers rights?????
hmm

Lawson, MO

#19 Jan 17, 2009
write, call, or e-mail your missouri lawmakers. This has got to stop!

Sikeston, MO

#20 Jan 17, 2009
Here's a common practice I bet most of you have never imagined:

(1) Mama sues Daddy for Child Support, Mama Wins.

(2) Daddy is in Jail and isn't paying, so MO DFS pays the child support to Mama.

(3) Mama takes half of the child support money and puts it on Daddy's inmate account, so he can call her and buy cigarettes.

--- Yes, this is really happening... everyday.---

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 27
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Missouri Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Next semester, some journalism students will be... Mon Mike Elliott - Ca... 1
Reports: Missouri governor candidate dead in ap... Feb 28 barefoot2626 33
Missouri Republican dead after apparent suicide Feb 27 goonsquad 34
anyone want a free mobile home? (Mar '09) Feb 27 carebear25 12
Living in an RV on Church Property (Apr '13) Feb 20 SeeingEye 12
ANKARA: Gulen lobby influences US lawmakers let... Feb 15 Dander 1
Dems on FEC accused of taking partisan turn Feb 13 Jackie Robinson West 3
More from around the web