Missouri child-support law change touches many issues

Sep 8, 2007 Full story: Kansas City Star 4,296

“This is not in the best interest of Missouri's children”

Children, according to popular notion, don't buy Johnnie Walker Red or engage enemy combatants in Iraq.

So why should parents be required to pay child support for someone old enough to do either?

A Missouri lawmaker from Belton doesn't think they should. Rep. Brian Baker pushed for change, and last week a new state law dropped the maximum age for child support from 22 to 21. It also set new academic standards for students whose parents receive child support.

Baker, a Republican, had wanted the limit to fall to 18, because that is when people first can vote. It is also the age at which most states, including Kansas, draw the line for child support. Read more

Read more

Since: Jan 07

Monett, MO

#4190 Feb 8, 2011
This isn't about paying child support or not paying it. It isn't about deadbeat parents, it is about the State of MO forcing NCP to continue to pay support for their adult children if they go to college. Please people read before you post.
father

Kansas City, KS

#4191 Feb 9, 2011
WOW ARE YOU SERIOUS YEAH THAT IS HOW YOU "RAISE" YOUR CHILDREN TO BECOME ADULTS? I AM ASSUMING THAT WITH YOUR THINKING YOU OBVIOUSLY STILL LIVE WITH YOUR PARENTS. YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO TEACH YOUR KIDS HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT AND MAKE IT ON THEIR OWN NOT HAVE THEIR PARENTS SUPPORT THEM THEIR WHOLE LIFE!(UNLESS THEY ARE HANDICAPPED) YOU ARE RIDICULOUS!!!!
Dad wrote:
I am male single parent with full custody and raising 2 boys without any help from "mom". mom doesn't pay for anything but still gets visitation. The government says that I make "to much money" to get any assistance, no free lunches at school, no help paying bills. I do without so my boys can have most of the things they need and some of the things they want. People should want to support their children no matter what their age is. I will help and support my son's until the day I die. When my boys bring home good grades or awards for achievement, it makes it all worth it. But it would be nice if mom pitched in everyone once in a while. I think they should raise the age limit to 35 yrs old and force both parents to help support their children.
Joe Dirt

Overland Park, KS

#4192 Feb 9, 2011
Just give up... the MAJORITY of the folks responding here are stupid, can't read and understand that the subject matter here isn't about “deadbeat parents”, it is about the State of Missouri forcing NCP to continue to pay support for their adult children if they go to college when the adult child is 18 or over when the majority of young adults in school are not receiving mandatory court ordered support from the NCP.

Today, I have 501 more days of court ordered child support for my adult offspring, plus however many more months it will take the courts to docket and later hear my request to stop the CS after the adult child turns 21 and then issues a stop order to my company payroll department.

After paying CS to the mother who was doing meth for the last 5 years, and I took un-official custody of the child in my home as a result of mom’s lack of control and parenting skills. In the end, mom got to keep the 5 years of court ordered support because, it was in the child’s best interest that mom could have housing if she ever did clean up her own life.

F#&K your fair and compassionate system, filled with judges who claim to be looking at the best interest of the ADULT CHILD in college. All I see is an extra $30 grand I did not have to invest in new jobs for the welfare queens and kings as a small business owner.

Oh, yea and I have one very special young lady that hopes to be a dentist someday...(Hope she learns about student loans, like I did, LOL)
Joe

Monroe, OH

#4193 Feb 18, 2011
Just Mom wrote:
This isn't about paying child support or not paying it. It isn't about deadbeat parents, it is about the State of MO forcing NCP to continue to pay support for their adult children if they go to college. Please people read before you post.
Amen Brother.
These libturds in here think they're entitled to our money cuz the state says so.
Sit tight turds, we're commin for ya.
UnfairDivorceLaw s

Asheville, NC

#4194 Feb 19, 2011
JulM wrote:
I have not approached my ex to recoup half the bill for the contacts, dental work, or anything else I've paid for out of pocket even though my divorce states he is to pay 50% of the medical expenses. I tried talking to him the last time my daughter had dental work done to ask him for 1/2 the fees and he starts yelling over the phone/swearing at me. It's not worth it. He has always had an extremely violent temper and obviously that hasn't changed. I blame the Judge (ELIZABETH SWANN) for this one. I brought this out in court during our trial. The reason why I've been so diligent in writing my story is because I want everyone to know the type of corruption that goes on in the St. Charles county family court. The judge that heard our case is ruling based on the relationship she has with the attorneys in that county. My question is do you think the attorneys are paying her and other judges for favors? I am starting to believe that is the case~which is so sad. Your thoughts?
My husband is about to have a case tried by Swann for a modification served on him by his ex wife. Do you have any insight into what attorneys she is in good with. I would like to know what we are in for. Thanks!
Joe Dirt

Mission, KS

#4195 Feb 20, 2011
Hey retard.... look at this threads subject matter. What does your question above have to do with child support paid to a child over the age of 18 that is in college?

Some people will never learn, and that is why our kids have and are growing up to be idiots, after all their folks are stupid as well.

==========
UnfairDivorceLaws wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband is about to have a case tried by Swann for a modification served on him by his ex wife. Do you have any insight into what attorneys she is in good with. I would like to know what we are in for. Thanks!
UnfairDivorceLaw s

Asheville, NC

#4196 Feb 20, 2011
Joe Dirt wrote:
Hey retard.... look at this threads subject matter. What does your question above have to do with child support paid to a child over the age of 18 that is in college?
Some people will never learn, and that is why our kids have and are growing up to be idiots, after all their folks are stupid as well.
==========
<quoted text>
I'm not a retard!!! I was asking the question based off the statement made from the thread as stated below....

"The reason why I've been so diligent in writing my story is because I want everyone to know the type of corruption that goes on in the St. Charles county family court. The judge that heard our case is ruling based on the relationship she has with the attorneys in that county"

I was just trying to get some insight about Judge Swann and the attorneys she possibly has relationships with... That is what my question was based on!!!!!!!!!

And why do you have to be so nasty?????? Open your eyes and read before you attack someone!!!!!!
ORLY

Mount Morris, MI

#4197 Feb 20, 2011
It's simple enough, folks. ADULTS do not need CHILD support. They should instead have a JOB. If they still live with the former custodial parent (former, because they're now an adult and responsible for themselves), that parent can request they pay rent to continue living there.
As the custodial parent, if you feel it necessary to continue receiving money that is not your's (it is for your child), you should communicate with your politicians to raise the age of adulthood. Until that happens, you should start acting like an adult yourself and adapt to your circumstances. Unless you can't count, you know how old your kid will be. Plan for the change.
GI Joe

Shawnee, KS

#4198 Feb 22, 2011
Amen to that last comment above.
Five months ago, I was laid off,(Poor Economy, LOL) having just got back from the "Armed Conflect and Peace Keeping Mission"
I am currently packing up all my crap and have paid for six months of storage in place of next months rent.
I have no ideal where I am going, or what I am going to do. No Address, no mail, less likely hood of getting a job.
Oh yea, my 19 1/2 year old son... shacking up with is girl is snug as a bug. I am sure he will continue to get his court ordered child support payments of $667 dollars a month from my reservest drill check... Or I'll go to jail.
So please, brother.... when you see me at the intersection just past the bridge. Can you spare a few dollars to help me pass it on to my adult son, so he can get his child support.
This is one crazy world...
G.I. Joe
I do not understand

Shawnee, KS

#4199 Feb 22, 2011
19 1/2 years old, Dad is a Reservest and paying child support? How does that happen?

When I was 18, I was drafted in and went to Vietnam. Is the his son retared? since when is a man allmost 20 years old, not respounsible for his own support?

This is what happens when momies started becoming lesigators and stoped taking care of the home.

America is messed up... What next? waiting till your 18 to get a drivers license and getting child support untill your 25?

I am so glad that I am old.
ORLY

Santa Clara, CA

#4200 Feb 22, 2011
GI Joe wrote:
Oh yea, my 19 1/2 year old son... shacking up with is girl is snug as a bug. I am sure he will continue to get his court ordered child support payments of $667 dollars a month from my reservest drill check... Or I'll go to jail.
That's a load of crap. Good luck to you. I don't suppose your son will give you a place to crash, will he?

It's almost as bad as judges who force men to pay child support when it's proven that the child is not their's.
jgjhgdehytgfyte

Manhattan, KS

#4201 Feb 27, 2011
I think age 18 is reasonable but then again I only get $15.00 a month (used to be $1.00) from my deadbeat dad of an ex so it isn't really going to put much of a dent in college expenses anyway. lol. As for the people complaining about where child support goes...get real...there are hardly any people who spend their child support on anything other than their children. Hell, I spend more on my son in 1 month than I get from child support in a year! My husband and I pay for his health insurance, clothes, and food, etc...But you know what...I am not going to complain too much because I have my son and my son has a great step dad and we'll pay his college ourselves because that is what responsible parents do. BTW if so many of you are really as poor as you say you are...get second jobs...parents do what it takes to take care of a child. When I was a single parent I worked 60-90 hrs a week to pay for everything..and Id do it all over again if I had to. Its a hell of a lot easier to do that when your child is 18...than when hes a newborn-2yrs old.
had enough

Ocean View, DE

#4202 Feb 28, 2011
Upset Mother wrote:
This issue is infuriating to me. What about those children still in college. First of all I don't like it when Missouri compares itself with Kansas. We are our own entity and the Royals are Missouri's and the Chief's are Missouri's and Kansas can have their own everything and we don't need to compare ourselves to them at all. So what if their age limit is 18 for child support. We can be different. Why are we so interested in the cutoff age anyway when their are bigger issues at hand in regards to child support. What about enforcement issues it isn't easy being a parent in this day and age let alone a single parent with no help from the non-custodial parent. We need to worry more about enforcement and punishment for those who don't stand up and care for that which they helped to create. Don't get me started, I have fought for my children's rights for their entire lives to get the help that they deserved from their father. To end up with nothing because he drank and smoked himself to death before the youngest was 14. I have raised them all alone and they have gone without. Without nice clothes with out school pictures, with out yearbooks without the love of a father and much much more so just don't get me started on something so trivial as lowering the age limit for payment because I'll give you an earfull. Mr. Baker you need to think again about where you stand and work to help the children and single parents not hinder them.
I for one think it should change i have paid child support on my daughter for 19 years and do not get to see her her mother has kept her away from me and now she does not know me or will come see me she is in college and doing well but what my oldest daughter tells me is that the child support does not go to my daughter to help her with her school my ex spends it she cheated on me and left me and i have had nothing but heart ache fighting to see my children and treated like a dead beat dad form child support enforcment and guess what i am not behind on y support and never see my daughter and if you ask her she will say i am not her dad and guess who taught her that her mother i have paid for trucks cars 4 wheelers lawn mowers and now a newly built house would be different if i could see my child or the money was going to her but like me if i wanted to go to college i would have had to pay for it now i am glad my daughter is going to college but she is getting student loans and schollarships so who is the bad person a dead beat dad or a mother who spends the money on themselves
ORLY

Mount Morris, MI

#4203 Mar 6, 2011
Let this be a lesson to all the young men out there. Getting laid is definitely not worth the price of admission. Find yourself a nice pro-choice girl (risky, because they're probably lying) or a good doctor who will agree to give you a vasectomy (and make sure you're shooting blanks).
common sense

Hazelwood, MO

#4204 Mar 15, 2011
I do not understand wrote:
19 1/2 years old, Dad is a Reservest and paying child support? How does that happen?
When I was 18, I was drafted in and went to Vietnam. Is the his son retared? since when is a man allmost 20 years old, not respounsible for his own support?
This is what happens when momies started becoming lesigators and stoped taking care of the home.
America is messed up... What next? waiting till your 18 to get a drivers license and getting child support untill your 25?
I am so glad that I am old.
Actually that is what Illinois is doing right now,my daughter gets support till she's 24,and its slatted pending law for her not to get her liscense till she is 18.. at 24 I had 2 kids,a house,car payments,loans,2 jobs...
ORLY

Mount Morris, MI

#4205 Mar 15, 2011
common sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually that is what Illinois is doing right now,my daughter gets support till she's 24,and its slatted pending law for her not to get her liscense till she is 18.. at 24 I had 2 kids,a house,car payments,loans,2 jobs...
That's crazy. If child support is to be paid until the age of 24, then they should raise the age of majority across the board. No driver's license, no drinking, no voting. It's insane to treat them as an adult in one area, but as a child elsewhere. The law needs to make up it's mind.

Since: Mar 11

Belton, MO

#4206 Mar 15, 2011
ORLY wrote:
<quoted text>
That's crazy. If child support is to be paid until the age of 24, then they should raise the age of majority across the board. No driver's license, no drinking, no voting. It's insane to treat them as an adult in one area, but as a child elsewhere. The law needs to make up it's mind.
Absolutely. It's ridiculous for an adult to be the recipient of child support.
DAMM_IT

Springfield, MO

#4207 Mar 25, 2011
Check this shtt out. I PAY $400 as per court order is 2005.in 2006 the ex moved in to a low income housing, pays $220 for rent. meanwhile still working at ocac and has non stop for 7 years.She gets married to a truck driver,who has a 2010 Harley,so she buys a 2006 Harley. And in Dec. 2010 a 2011 Jeep Wrangler, STILL IN LOW INCOME APPARTMENT!!. I get 1 month behind in Jan 2011. she calls the prosecuting attorney. I get a court summons from CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT UNIT.to appear this april.I called today to inform them I JUST SENT THE MONEY ON THE 19 of MARCH AND I am paid in full.... she said "so, I WILL SEE YOU IN APRIL".I am glad the prosecuting office has unlimited funds to go after me when I AM NOT BEHIND.
LostForWords

Jefferson City, MO

#4208 Mar 25, 2011
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen Brother.
These libturds in here think they're entitled to our money cuz the state says so.
Sit tight turds, we're commin for ya.
They see it as a right, not a privilege. Every case has it's own factor but I have seen all too many where the paying parent is being screwed by a liberal judge. I even know of a case where the mother was living with the father filed for support while he was driving over the road, he lost his license and job, then was told he needed to pay it anyway and she admitted she committed fraud but the state still has not gone after her.
fomerpow

Chesterfield, MO

#4209 Mar 28, 2011
Imprtnrd wrote:
<quoted text>I agree, MO is way too lax on these deadbeat dads!!!!
you got to be kidding me. I live in mo and for the last 14 years have been fighting the childsupport enforcement offfice. Right now they take 63% of my check for current child support and my son has live with me 15 out of 18 years, infact he is in bed right now. They are also charging me for a little girl who isnt even mine because my sons mother never said any different the second child she had they assumed was mine and we live 80 miles apart the little girls name is Cates mine is Moore my bill for her is 9000 total bill is 22000. They have taken my drivers liecens hunting and fishing and have ruined my life my sons life. They are allowing her to steal from me by taking 63% of my pay my son and i are stuggling to eat i had a hearing in jeff city went there the mother showed up told yhem i didnt owe her and that the little girl they are charging me for wasnt mine that was 18 months ago guess wat they are still taking my wages taking my income tax and told me if it goes to court and i win i can sue her in small claims court i told them i could sue her in the united states supreme court im not going to get my money back she doesnt have any money thats why she is doing this

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Missouri Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
child support corrupt in mo? (Dec '08) Wed Wilsonsmokngblunt... 531
News Black Caucus Pushes Hard for Ferguson-Inspired ... Mar 18 TTU 3
News Missouri Lt. Gov, Ferguson mayor: Where was the... Mar 18 sam 2
White trash Mar 17 Bob Smith 1
anyone want a free mobile home? (Mar '09) Mar 15 jennifer_swaggerty 14
News Burned QuikTrip to become education center Mar 15 Marcus Welby 10
News Kansas shooting suspect has ties to North Carol... (Apr '14) Mar 11 swedenforever 8
More from around the web