Should intelligent design be taught i...

Should intelligent design be taught in the classroom?

There are 815 comments on the Examiner.com story from Jan 20, 2012, titled Should intelligent design be taught in the classroom?. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

A bill proposed in the Missouri House of Representatives would require the equal treatment of science instruction regarding biological evolution and intelligent design.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

First Prev
of 41
Next Last
wat

Coatesville, PA

#1 Jan 22, 2012
Examiner.com wrote:
Should intelligent design be taught in the classroom?
F*ck no. Keep religious nonsense out of public schools and biology classes.

“I am the great an powerful Ny!”

Since: Dec 06

Lebanon, PA

#2 Jan 23, 2012
McCaherty, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Murphy, says the bill does not affect any “supposed separation of church and state” since intelligent design does not promote God, it simply acknowledges the possibility that we are created by design rather than by chance.
The Dover trial disproved that thinking.
“While some believe evolution is a science, it is actually a theory,” he said.
This, amazingly, is correct!
“Science is something that can be proven through scientific process. Evolution cannot be proven, therefore, like ID, it is a theory.”
Ooops! Ya stumbled there mister "expert".
MORE

Temple, TX

#4 Jan 25, 2012
God and the Bible and only Christianity should be taught. I don't even like the phrase "intelligent design" because it's too vague. It's God, not just "intelligent design" America is a Christian nation, not Islam, and 92% of Americans believe in God. Only about 2.8% of the population is atheist, or maybe less. It's time America got back on track, the way the founding father's meant it to be.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#5 Jan 25, 2012
MORE wrote:
God and the Bible and only Christianity should be taught. I don't even like the phrase "intelligent design" because it's too vague. It's God, not just "intelligent design" America is a Christian nation, not Islam, and 92% of Americans believe in God. Only about 2.8% of the population is atheist, or maybe less. It's time America got back on track, the way the founding father's meant it to be.
So you would have America become a theocracy. Just like Iran.

Wonderful.
MORE

United States

#6 Jan 25, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
So you would have America become a theocracy. Just like Iran.
Wonderful.
No. American should be NOTHING like Iran. America should return to the way it used to be, and be proud to do so.
The Dude

Sunderland, UK

#7 Jan 25, 2012
MORE wrote:
<quoted text>
No. American should be NOTHING like Iran. America should return to the way it used to be, and be proud to do so.
Well, the United States of America has always been a secular nation, and not a theocracy. And given that the Founders guaranteed the freedom of ALL religions, and never mentioned God or Christianity once in the US Constitution, it certainly appears that that's exactly they way they wanted it to be.

For who better than the Founders to write "Yay Jesus, yay God!!!" all over the Constitution if they wanted it to be established on Christianity?

They didn't.

Anywhere.

Not once.

Ever.

Zip.

Zero.

Zilch.

Nada.

Nowt.

Nothing.

Not a dickiebird.

Not even a ickle tiny bit.

So BE PROUD! Be proud that the US guarantees freedom for all, rather than imposing the views of one particular religion onto everyone (theocracy), which is what the colonials came to escape in the first place.
MORE

United States

#8 Jan 25, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the United States of America has always been a secular nation, and not a theocracy. And given that the Founders guaranteed the freedom of ALL religions, and never mentioned God or Christianity once in the US Constitution, it certainly appears that that's exactly they way they wanted it to be.
For who better than the Founders to write "Yay Jesus, yay God!!!" all over the Constitution if they wanted it to be established on Christianity?
They didn't.
Anywhere.
Not once.
Ever.
Zip.
Zero.
Zilch.
Nada.
Nowt.
Nothing.
Not a dickiebird.
Not even a ickle tiny bit.
So BE PROUD! Be proud that the US guarantees freedom for all, rather than imposing the views of one particular religion onto everyone (theocracy), which is what the colonials came to escape in the first place.
You're wrong and I can prove why. Read history on the founding fathers and you'll find they didn't support all that other stuff, so we put what they wrote into the context of what we know of their lives. For example, they would never have approved of same sex marriages, that's why we aren't supposed to do that toda. Ha, just read your history, that should help you find the answers.

Orlando

#9 Jan 25, 2012
MORE wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wrong and I can prove why. Read history on the founding fathers and you'll find they didn't support all that other stuff, so we put what they wrote into the context of what we know of their lives. For example, they would never have approved of same sex marriages, that's why we aren't supposed to do that toda. Ha, just read your history, that should help you find the answers.
Evidence #1:

The Treaty of Tripoli (1797) Article 11:

Article 11 reads:

"Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen,—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

Official records show that after President John Adams sent the treaty to the Senate for ratification in May 1797, the entire treaty was read aloud on the Senate floor, and copies were printed for every Senator. A committee considered the treaty and recommended ratification. Twenty-three of the thirty-two sitting Senators were present for the June 7 vote which unanimously approved the ratification recommendation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripol...

Lebanon, PA

#10 Jan 25, 2012
MORE wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wrong and I can prove why. Read history on the founding fathers and you'll find they didn't support all that other stuff, so we put what they wrote into the context of what we know of their lives.
Treaty of Tripoli, Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
For example, they would never have approved of same sex marriages, that's why we aren't supposed to do that toda. Ha, just read your history, that should help you find the answers.
The founding fathers also wouldn't have approved women to vote or slaves to run free. I'm guessing you have no problem with that either. Hope you're not married!

Lebanon, PA

#11 Jan 25, 2012
I hate you Kong_

Lebanon, PA

#12 Jan 25, 2012
Also, I keep this link handy: http://candst.tripod.com/orthodox.htm
Orthodox was usually defined by most or many of the following elements:
A belief in Jesus Christ, the Saviour of the World,
A belief in the trinity
A belief in the divinity of Jesus
A belief in the resurrection
A belief in the ascension
A belief in the miracles as recorded in the Bible.
That there is one eternal God, and a future state of rewards and punishments.(A Heaven and Hell)
That God is publicly to be worshipped.
That the holy scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are of divine inspiration, and are the rule of faith and practice.
To believe in the divinity and resurrection of Christ and his atonement for the sins of man and to participate in the sacrament of the Lord's Supper
Athanasian creed
Various Articles of Faith
Anywhere from four to six of the first United States Presidents would disqualify as "orthodox" Christians, as that term was understood then.
Your move, historian.
MORE

Rogers, TX

#13 Jan 25, 2012
llDayo wrote:
<quoted text>
Treaty of Tripoli, Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
<quoted text>
The founding fathers also wouldn't have approved women to vote or slaves to run free. I'm guessing you have no problem with that either. Hope you're not married!
Well, they might have read all that, but it was just some kind of formality. They didn't put all that into practice. We go by what actually happened, not just some old document like that.

Since: Jan 12

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

#14 Jan 25, 2012
MORE wrote:
Well, they might have read all that, but it was just some kind of formality. They didn't put all that into practice. We go by what actually happened, not just some old document like that.
Typical retarded Christard. America is a SECULAR state. You can't believe in your stupid religion in America but it can NOT be promoted by the government. Aka keep your religious nonsense to yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_state#Am...

Orlando

#15 Jan 25, 2012
llDayo wrote:
I hate you Kong_
Hehehee.....

You'll beat me to the punch next time....

Orlando

#16 Jan 25, 2012
MORE wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I suppose you have some recent Supreme Court case decisions that illustrate exactly HOW we are a "Christian State".

MEANWHILE, I have quite a few cases where Federal Courts have supported the notion of "separaton of Church and State", many times by CONSERVATIVE judges, appointed by CONSERVATIVE Presidents.
MORE

Waco, TX

#17 Jan 25, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I suppose you have some recent Supreme Court case decisions that illustrate exactly HOW we are a "Christian State".
MEANWHILE, I have quite a few cases where Federal Courts have supported the notion of "separaton of Church and State", many times by CONSERVATIVE judges, appointed by CONSERVATIVE Presidents.
They are wrong. That's the trouble, just because some judge says something doesn't make it right. Just like as an example, yhe homo group wasn't happy when the courts said no marriage - but did they go by the rules? Oh, no - they blasted the judge and the courts like crybabies.
MORE

Waco, TX

#18 Jan 25, 2012
Wat the Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical retarded Christard. America is a SECULAR state. You can't believe in your stupid religion in America but it can NOT be promoted by the government. Aka keep your religious nonsense to yourself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_state#Am...
I won't keep it to myself, I'll promote it. Clean up your own act.

Orlando

#19 Jan 25, 2012
MORE wrote:
<quoted text>
They are wrong. That's the trouble, just because some judge says something doesn't make it right. Just like as an example, yhe homo group wasn't happy when the courts said no marriage - but did they go by the rules? Oh, no - they blasted the judge and the courts like crybabies.
Well, perhaps they did (you failed to provide a specific link to this allegation, but just for argument's sake, let's say they did).

But in Kitzmiller vs Dover, when the CONSERVATIVE Federal judge, appointed by George Bush (I) upheld the Constitution by finding FOR the plaintiffs (and against those seeking to teach Intelligent Design in public schools), Judge Jones and the plaintiff received threats on their own and their families lives. By (supposed) "good Christians" who didn't like his decision on the case.

Was YOUR judge, or his family threatened with murder for his decision?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#20 Jan 26, 2012
MORE wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't go by some old document like that?

I thought you said READ your history?

When it is quite clear that WE HAVE read our history, and it's quite clear by what the FOUNDERS THEMSELVES WROTE that they wanted religious freedom for all, and for the US to be a secular nation and not a Christian nation.

So now you're telling us to just ignore the Treaty of Tripoli AND the US Constitution which is the core document of which your country is FOUNDED upon, and that we should just take your word for it that the Founders wanted something completely different when they established the laws to be the opposite of your claims?

Are you a foreigner to planet Earth by any chance?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#21 Jan 26, 2012
MORE wrote:
<quoted text>
So you oppose freedom and equality?

Just clarifying.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 41
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Missouri Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Women Open up About Abortion in a New HBO Docum... Aug 11 Uber-Bro of the U... 3
News Spike Lee premieres University of Missouri film... Apr '16 June Ann 1
News Search committee approves qualifications for ne... Apr '16 June Ann 1
News Missouri May Force Pregnant Teens To Ask Both O... Mar '16 Insiders R crooks 5
News Missouri lawmaker abruptly resigns, cites rumors (Feb '16) Feb '16 hmmm 1
News Sundance documentary a first for MU and professor (Dec '15) Dec '15 JUDE HAIL 1
News Ferguson protests influence actions at U. of Mi... (Nov '15) Nov '15 guest 13
More from around the web