Meals on Wheels expects to lose federal funding to Presbyterian Homes

Full story: TwinCities.com

Meals on Wheels volunteer Drew Sternal carries bratwurst and red cabbage and German chocolate cake to the home of a senior Tuesday in St.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 60 of75
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Get RIGHT or be left”

Since: Nov 07

www.dreamindemon.com

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

"It's not that the Meals on Wheels groups don't want the money; it's that they don't want the frozen meals offered by Presbyterian Homes. "

Wow....I know I would not want a frozen meal in the mail...

But, hey! We are in the 2009 recovery! Obama has saved us! Look at how good things are RIGHT NOW!

From a personal standpoint, I think God takes a very dim view when charity is based on convenience and cost.

That tells us where the Presbyterian Homes is coming from........

But good job on preserving that "bottom line".
A Niece

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

Hey, Metropolitan Area on Aging - why is efficiency what you're interested in? You obviously don't have any grandparents or eldery parents if you're more concerned about efficiency models than quality and taste of food along with a daily wellness check and human interaction.

"What we are interested in are models that provide choice to older adults, are efficient and innovative," executive director Dawn Simonson said.

Furthermore, the Ramsey county providers DO provide choice. They've added freezers over the last two years to accomodate clients who would like frozen meal deliveries over a daily, hot meal.

And, efficient? How much more efficient can you get than a clipboard for meal deliveries with the exact meal for each client with addresses and step by step driving instructions to each door.

Innovation? How about the fact that the Ramsey county providers will be offering meals that from local and organic foods? Many restaurants can't even say they have that! AND, they're partnering with another local non-profit, Open Arms of MN!

Stop spending the Title 3 money on post-its and start putting it towards senior nutrition and senior service programs where the Older Americans Act mandates that it belongs! You should be ashamed.
former volunteer

Plymouth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

I was able to volunteer to deliver meals in the past. A quick check of a person's well being each day is one little thing that tells seniors those in the community care still. I remember little things they'd ask us to do when we'd stop by. Maybe move some boxes, or take their trash to the curb for them. I was happy to do it, and each person had their own little way I'd remember them. "Oh, this is the dog lady's house." It was easy to volunteer, and it's sad to hear this might go away. I was in my early 20's at the time, and it was my first "volunteer" opportunity I participated in. The cutting of funds is starkly in contrast to the current administration's call to action he ran his campaign on imploring everyone to serve their community. Once again, a special interest group (yes, that is what Presb. Homes is) takes over.
Slow from MN

Wyoming, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

WOW, What a Bunch of Pri**s, No Wonder this country is in such poor shape. There use to be a day when everyone tried to help your neighbor, Personally I hope YOU Adverse Grumpy As* Ho*Es Starve in your late years, That will teach you some compassion !
A lot of people complain about illegals Getting everything for nothing, OUR people paid their taxes, Aren't entitled to eat ??????????
What Happend to MN Nice ???????/
free in mn

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

Rick wrote:
It isn't the duty of government or any other organization to bring food and companionship to your elderly parent. Nor do I feel obligated to pay for such services through my taxes.
How about you visit your parent more often if they are lonely. How about you bring a bag of groceries when you visit. Better yet, how about you find room in your home for your elderly parent and be there to take care of their needs or hire a sitter to help them. Your parents cared for you in your early years and you should return the favor by caring for them when they need you.
People have been shammed into accepting a society where both husband and wife must work to pay for all of the junk and bigger homes. The only one that this benefits is government that collects more income and RE taxes. Just say no and go back to the much simpler life of the past. Work less and enjoy life more!
Wow! I predict that noone will want to be bothered with your sorry behind.
Carbon Hoof Print

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

That's good were broke.
Rick

Hastings, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

free in mn wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! I predict that noone will want to be bothered with your sorry behind.
Why? Because I believe family and close friends should be the ones to help their parent? Why is that so hard for people to grasp. Thats the way we use to do it before government (and quasy government non profits) stepped in to save us and provide for our every need.

Government sucks at providing services to the people and they spend twice as much to do it. If you think government or a non-profit can provide better care to your elderly parent then I would hate to call you my adult child.

BTW.... I'm not asking for you or anyone else to provide for me and I NEVER will. When I can't provide for myself I'm ready to die. We all die sometime so accept it and get over it.
Carbon Hoof Print

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

They can't even cut their grass.
A Niece wrote:
Hey, Metropolitan Area on Aging - why is efficiency what you're interested in? You obviously don't have any grandparents or eldery parents if you're more concerned about efficiency models than quality and taste of food along with a daily wellness check and human interaction.
"What we are interested in are models that provide choice to older adults, are efficient and innovative," executive director Dawn Simonson said.
Furthermore, the Ramsey county providers DO provide choice. They've added freezers over the last two years to accomodate clients who would like frozen meal deliveries over a daily, hot meal.
And, efficient? How much more efficient can you get than a clipboard for meal deliveries with the exact meal for each client with addresses and step by step driving instructions to each door.
Innovation? How about the fact that the Ramsey county providers will be offering meals that from local and organic foods? Many restaurants can't even say they have that! AND, they're partnering with another local non-profit, Open Arms of MN!
Stop spending the Title 3 money on post-its and start putting it towards senior nutrition and senior service programs where the Older Americans Act mandates that it belongs! You should be ashamed.
Rick

Hastings, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Smart move Hawkshaw... Urban areas are truly disgusting and your life will be much improved and healthier the farther away you can get from them. It gives me the willies just driving through the city anymore. City people for the most part are pathetic and you should shower thouroughly anytime you come into contact with one. There ain't no government or nonprofit goon to scrub your arse for you out in the country though so get use to doin it yourself.
Hawkshaw wrote:
<quoted text>
I came from a rural setting to urban area. The difference I found is people in the rural area tend to be more self-reliant and with a more sharing heart. Whereas people in urban areas rely more on the government to provide that what they feel they are "entitled" to. And yes I'm moving back to a rural community.
Rick

Hastings, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

Jeff T in MPLS wrote:
"It's not that the Meals on Wheels groups don't want the money; it's that they don't want the frozen meals offered by Presbyterian Homes. "
Wow....I know I would not want a frozen meal in the mail...
But, hey! We are in the 2009 recovery! Obama has saved us! Look at how good things are RIGHT NOW!
From a personal standpoint, I think God takes a very dim view when charity is based on convenience and cost.
That tells us where the Presbyterian Homes is coming from........
But good job on preserving that "bottom line".
Schwann's delivers some pretty fantastic frozen foods in portions that are perfect for one or two people. But then again they operate for profit so some hard working Joe can also feed his family AND the Schwann's driver probably won't bring the trash out for you or scratch your itchy arse for ya.
free in mn

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

Rick wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? Because I believe family and close friends should be the ones to help their parent? Why is that so hard for people to grasp. Thats the way we use to do it before government (and quasy government non profits) stepped in to save us and provide for our every need.
Government sucks at providing services to the people and they spend twice as much to do it. If you think government or a non-profit can provide better care to your elderly parent then I would hate to call you my adult child.
BTW.... I'm not asking for you or anyone else to provide for me and I NEVER will. When I can't provide for myself I'm ready to die. We all die sometime so accept it and get over it.
It''s not so much what you say but the way you say it. You come off as a "my way or the highway" person with no consideration for the shades of gray. I AM an elder, live alone and am~so far~able to care for myself. I too say that when I can no longer do that I am ready to go. I have one daughter in town who is nice to me but I would never choose to burden her and I would rather commit something than go to a 'home'.

And sometimes you can't 'go back'. We 'used to' ride in wagons/buggys too. We 'used to' not let women vote. We 'used to' read by lamplight. We 'used to' get fair wages that enabled us to care for loved ones (altho some still manage to do so). Just lghten up a bit.
Nurse Sue

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

Hey, dmc and all volunteers!...thanks for every minute you spent helping take a hot meal to someone in the community. As a public health nurse, I have seen on a regular basis the value of that check-in and meal delivery. My clients have had only good words to say about the meals they receive and the visit they look forward to from their Meals on Wheels volunteer. It's hard to imagine the isolation that some of these elders experience, many without family or friends able to help them. And those who have said that people want to remain in their own homes are correct; there is no doubt that Meals on Wheels has been a very important part of that safety net for these elders in our communities. There have been many times that these kind-hearted volunteers would be the one to see a person in trouble when they arrive, and they have called the health care provider to get help. This would no longer happen with a weekly drop-off of a box of frozen food! Let's all raise our voices LOUDLY and say a RESOUNDING NO! to the poor decision to turn the funding over to Pres Homes, who is seeing this as a money-making opportunity, let's face it! Today's Pioneer Press article quoted the director of the Metropolitan Area Agency on Aging as saying that "when meals programs first came into being in the 1970s, there were no microwaves". WHAT??!! What a ridiculous thing to say! How short-sighted and out of touch this is.......it isn't about having a microwave, people. If only this organization was able to "step into the shoes of others" and imagine what it would be like for THEMSELVES SOMEDAY, when they may have limited vision, limited mobility and limited dexterity, among other issues they may face. Wouldn't you rather have someone come in with a smile, set up your table for you & help you open your milk, and ask you how you are doing today???? It's really a no-brainer. Let's get our political representatives involved and get them refusing to accept this unacceptable situation. NO PRESBYTERIAN HOMES frozen meals!!!!!
Saul Alinsky

Wilmot, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

Nurse Sue wrote:
Hey, dmc and all volunteers!...thanks for every minute you spent helping take a hot meal to someone in the community. As a public health nurse, I have seen on a regular basis the value of that check-in and meal delivery. My clients have had only good words to say about the meals they receive and the visit they look forward to from their Meals on Wheels volunteer. It's hard to imagine the isolation that some of these elders experience, many without family or friends able to help them. And those who have said that people want to remain in their own homes are correct; there is no doubt that Meals on Wheels has been a very important part of that safety net for these elders in our communities. There have been many times that these kind-hearted volunteers would be the one to see a person in trouble when they arrive, and they have called the health care provider to get help. This would no longer happen with a weekly drop-off of a box of frozen food! Let's all raise our voices LOUDLY and say a RESOUNDING NO! to the poor decision to turn the funding over to Pres Homes, who is seeing this as a money-making opportunity, let's face it! Today's Pioneer Press article quoted the director of the Metropolitan Area Agency on Aging as saying that "when meals programs first came into being in the 1970s, there were no microwaves". WHAT??!! What a ridiculous thing to say! How short-sighted and out of touch this is.......it isn't about having a microwave, people. If only this organization was able to "step into the shoes of others" and imagine what it would be like for THEMSELVES SOMEDAY, when they may have limited vision, limited mobility and limited dexterity, among other issues they may face. Wouldn't you rather have someone come in with a smile, set up your table for you & help you open your milk, and ask you how you are doing today???? It's really a no-brainer. Let's get our political representatives involved and get them refusing to accept this unacceptable situation. NO PRESBYTERIAN HOMES frozen meals!!!!!
Perhaps you can rally nurses to protest governments failure to feed the elderly and provide them with compansionship!
Rick

Hastings, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

free in mn wrote:
<quoted text>
It''s not so much what you say but the way you say it. You come off as a "my way or the highway" person with no consideration for the shades of gray. I AM an elder, live alone and am~so far~able to care for myself. I too say that when I can no longer do that I am ready to go. I have one daughter in town who is nice to me but I would never choose to burden her and I would rather commit something than go to a 'home'.
And sometimes you can't 'go back'. We 'used to' ride in wagons/buggys too. We 'used to' not let women vote. We 'used to' read by lamplight. We 'used to' get fair wages that enabled us to care for loved ones (altho some still manage to do so). Just lghten up a bit.
Wow, the "use to" memories sound pretty nice to me and I wish we could go back to those days cause I think people were much happier back then. Neighbors "use to" look out for each other too and took the time to talk to each other over the backyard fence. Many of my neighbors use to take care of me when I was a baby while my mother was visiting my polio stricken father at Sister Kenny's.

My father spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair but he still managed to get himself to work by paying neighbors to drive him downtown for 25 years until he retired at 65. He never signed up for welfare or food stamps for us 7 kids, never expected the metro transit bus to take him to work, never whined about his lot in life and never looked to government for help except for his leg brace that was provided by the VA. So if I have no sympathy for those that are more able than him to find a way then I am sorry if I have offended you. I admire your efforts to try to make it on your own and wish you the best.

There are so many able bodied people screaming we need to do more and many of them have selfish intentions or don't understand that people can and do find ways to make it on their own. We simply cannot afford to provide everything to everybody all the time. Doing so is making America a pathetic lot of people and will surely destroy the liberty and freedom that our forefathers fought so hard to obtain. If I cannot raise my voice in opposition to all or this government "help" for the "needy" than who can?
Old Man

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

Why shouldn't the government pay people to be my friend? Isn't that the roll of government?

BTW: Where are the cost figures?

CostOfProgram/NumberMealsDeliv ered =???
Carol Chesen

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

A note to Metropolitan Area Agency on Aging regarding Meals on Wheels funding:

I am appalled that you would take funding for a working program that provides ready food for seniors, most of whom cannot comfortably or safely use a stove any longer and most of whom who have no money to purchase food freezers and give it to an organization that is going to give these same aged, poor and often feeble, fragile and disabled people boxes of frozen food to put in a freezer instead of a hot meal.

I am well acquainted with the wonderful services provided by Presbyterian Homes but freezing food and delivering it to people who won’t be able to figure out how to prepare and eat it is bunk!

The funding should stay where it is!!!!!!

CAROL ROCKLER CHESEN
In the know

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

Jennifer wrote:
I believe it's the Minnesota Board on Aging actually that distributes these funds. I tried to Google the Minnesota Area Agency on Aging and the closest named agency was the Metropolitan Area Agency on Aging. However, a deeper search found the Minnesota Board on Aging and their site which states that, "Partnering with Area Agencies on Aging and others, we administer and oversee the effective use of Older Americans Act and state funds to support older Minnesotans."
If the author of this article could clarify which agency is actually responsible for this decision, it would be easier for members of the public to lobby the correct organization and stop this ridiculous change from happening.
You're right, the Minnesota Board on Aging is the state agency, and the Metropolitan Area Agency on Aging is the local agency where this decision is being made. Their list of Board members is here: http://tcaging.org/whoweare/boardroom.html That's who you should lobby.
In the know

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Hawkshaw wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps churches and other charitable organizations could provide meals rather than the government. Here is another program that makes people dependent upon the government and when there is a possibility it will go away the people are outraged.
They do! Churches are a huge supporter of Meals on Wheels, government funding represents just a portion of the funding and Meals on Wheels as we know it has used that portion to leverage support from volunteers, civic organizations, churches, individual donors, and businesses to stretch those public dollars to maximize the impact in the community.
New Guy on the Block

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

Judged:

Rick wrote:
<quoted text>
Not everyone on earth is "married, with children". Are these the people we are supposed to send out to sea on an Ice floe?? Is that their crime - that they never married or procreated?
Buttomfly

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

Judged:

There has to be some underlying reason for all of this. The meals on wheels program allows for seniors to remain in their homes longer. A daily visit from someone to check on them and provide a hot meal. With frozen meals delivered once a week the daily visit goes away replaced with having an elderly person figure out just how to "heat" this frozen meal in a microwave if they have one or use the oven. And it they are not feeling well? Oh well maybe they just won't eat that day.

This just sounds like Presbyterian Homes is not expanding as fast as they would like. It's a profitable venture and getting more seniors into the homes is part of the profit picture. I see a dark side to this. Why should the government be in favor of more seniors moving out of their homes and into group surroundings? I don't like the sound of it already. If the funds will be the same and Pres. Homes has found a way to cut costs, who keeps whats left?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 60 of75
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Minnesota Discussions

Search the Minnesota Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
St. Paul native on a quest to walk around the w... 3 hr lezarrick 1
Ukraine orders 1-week government cease-fire 19 hr George 10
Know Your Enemy: Minnesota (Sep '13) Mon Sneaky Pete 3
Sex abuse scandals hurt Minnesota Catholics, bu... Jul 19 cowboy chris 1
MMA Rounds Jul 18 Mary Ziotard Brand 3
New suicide data show mounting mental health co... (Aug '13) Jul 18 See and Believe 3
Proposed high-voltage power lines raise fears i... (Apr '09) Jul 17 contr 93
•••
•••