Mortgage fraud in Cities on FBI radar

Jul 21, 2007 Full story: Star Tribune 1,272

“We've seen properties we think are problematic and they turn up TJ Waconia”

Federal investigators are probing a renewed rash of potential mortgage fraud in the Twin Cities area in response to reports of a large number of unusual real estate transactions in north Minneapolis and ... via Star Tribune

Full Story
aw shucks

AOL

#344 Apr 3, 2008
heard it from a good source that Mr. Balko made the Ft. Lauderdale, FL and Miami news for the Mortgage fraud case here in MN!!!! Busted.
bad bad news

Minneapolis, MN

#345 Apr 5, 2008
got a knock on my door today at 7:50am from the FBI. They said they "wanted to talk with the buyers accociated with those two in the north neighborhood." After five minutes of nice and fifteen of badgering it came down to they were given all of the names of the buyers and are considering them accomplices, and called me one of the straw buyers and in on the scheme and that we knew exactly what we were doing. When I told them I was one of the victims suing, they said as far as they're concerned everyone was in it together and they are just working their way down. They sat and took notes until I finally said I wanted a lawyer, they said "what for, are you guilty of something?" They tried to talk me out of it and then said if I needed a lawyer I must have something to hide and that they'd be watching, and they'd be back.

any thoughts?
whatever

Saint Paul, MN

#346 Apr 6, 2008
tom or jon. which ever wrote this. whatever. here is a thought guys. turn on each other. what else to you have left.
Public Service Message

United States

#347 Apr 6, 2008
Do you realize that is a federal crime. Dig ,Dig ,Dig , than jump.......dumbass

the crime is publishing false information on the part of a federal crimestopper
bad bad news

Minneapolis, MN

#348 Apr 7, 2008
my atty said that they are just digging and that there is nothing to worry about and that I'll probably never hear from them again. Thanks for being total jackassess though you two.
Public Service Message

United States

#349 Apr 7, 2008
Now if thats not backpeddling.......
they suck

AOL

#350 Apr 9, 2008
see other topix forums...tommy has been busy ripping off the church too. Living Word Christian Center, Insurance fraud, mortgage fraud and poor little dancer girls....what next/ seems likes tommy boy is covering all the bases just to make his little girlfriend happy. awwwww
whatever

Saint Paul, MN

#351 Apr 10, 2008
Tom has a girl friend? Seriously? Some one other than that fat pig Jill actually wants him? Bet that girl friend is a real looker.
Help

Saint Paul, MN

#352 Apr 10, 2008
they suck, I cannot find that link. Would you post it? I would love to read it.
anon-a-mouse

Minneapolis, MN

#353 Apr 13, 2008
City Leaders Join Neighborhoods and Residents to Stop Fraudulent “Flipping”
April 2, 2008 (MINNEAPOLIS)-- Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak and other city leaders today announced that the City is joining three north Minneapolis neighborhoods in a lawsuit against a fraudulent real estate scheme that has worsened the foreclosure crisis in Minneapolis.
The suit seeks redress from TJ Waconia, which engaged in a complex and fraudulent residential real estate scheme that converted owner-occupied homes to rental units, most of which have since been foreclosed and many of which are vacant. TJ Waconia’s practices have left many north Minneapolis homeowners unable to sell their homes or owing significantly more for their homes than they are worth.
ruined

Center City, MN

#354 Apr 14, 2008
I wonder if the Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak and other city leaders know that TJ Waconia (Tom and Jon) are also the people that made a mess with the Heritage Greens in Hudson, WI with the idiots over at what was once IPM? I have been living this nightmare as well as many others for over 3 years! People need to realize just how big this @#$%^ really is!
victim one million

Maple Grove, MN

#355 Apr 14, 2008
You hear about these expert real estate seminars,
you attend and listen to the hype, if you bite you loose. You buy into their training school scam, or investment scemes. It seems as though they all have the same lingo. They are the experts, they have the answers to your future. And, wham bam alakazam they take your money and walk away laughing at the people who trusted them.
Your out your money, your lucky if you get away from these real estate sceems with a good credit rating. Always google info on scams first !
Hudson WI townhs

Maple Grove, MN

#356 Apr 14, 2008
North Minn St Paul city council realized the suffering from the TJ Waconia real estate scan, do you know who are involved ?
The same people involved in real estate seminars in Hennipen County. Their website says they want you to learn from them... Oh goody !
Let me gather up all my money and throw it at them.
lol

AOL

#357 Apr 14, 2008
victim one million wrote:
if you bite you loose. You buy into their training school scam, or investment scemes.
Your out your money, your lucky if you get away from these real estate sceems with a good credit rating. Always google info on scams first !
I might suggest your money would be well spent on, "Spell Checker."

Since: Feb 08

Maple Grove

#358 Apr 15, 2008
And the plot thickens...

PUBLICATION SUMMONS: Case No. 08-CV-301
Hudson Star-Observer
Published Thursday, April 10, 2008

STATE OF WISCONSIN, CIRCUIT COURT, ST. CROIX COUNTY

The Honorable Scott Needham

Case Code 30404 (Foreclosure of Mortgage)

Liberty Savings Bank, F.S.B., 12276 San Jose Blvd., Suite 108, Jacksonville, FL 32223, Plaintiff, vs. T.J. Land Trust, Inc., c/o Jon E. Helgason, Registered Agent, 3101 Old Highway 8, Suite 301, Roseville, MN 55113;

Jon E. Helgason, 30686 Wallmark Lake Drive, Chisago City, MN 55013;

Thomas Balko, 12815 Island View Circle, Rogers, MN 55374;

Heritage Greens of Hudson Community Association, Inc., c/o C.R. Hackworthy, Registered Agent, 216 Sommers Landing Road North, Hudson, WI 54016, Defendants.

THE STATE OF WISCONSIN, to each person named above as a defendant:

You are hereby notified that the Plaintiff named above has filed a lawsuit or other legal action against you.

Within 40 days after April 10, 2008, you must respond with a written demand for a copy of the complaint. The demand must be sent or delivered to the court, whose address is: 1101 Carmichael Road, Hudson, WI 54016 and to Gray & Associates, L.L.P., plaintiff’s attorney, whose address is 600 N. Broadway, Suite 300, Milwaukee, WI 53202. You may have an attorney help or represent you.

If you do not demand a copy of the complaint within 40 days, the court may grant judgment against you for the award of money or other legal action requested in the complaint, and you may lose your right to object to anything that is or may be incorrect in the complaint. A judgment may be enforced as provided by law. A judgment awarding money may become a lien against any real estate you own now or in the future, and may also be enforced by garnishment or seizure of property.

Gray & Associates, L.L.P, Attorneys for Plaintiff

Steven E. Zablocki, State Bar No. 1027190

Dated April 1, 2008.

Pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (15 U.S.C. Section 1692), we are required to state that we are attempting to collect a debt on our client’s behalf and any information we obtain will be used for that purpose.

(Pub. April 10 - Final April 24)

Maple Grove

#359 Apr 15, 2008
And the plot thickens.....

PUBLICATION SUMMONS: Case No. 08-CV-301
Hudson Star-Observer
Published Thursday, April 10, 2008

STATE OF WISCONSIN, CIRCUIT COURT, ST. CROIX COUNTY

The Honorable Scott Needham

Case Code 30404 (Foreclosure of Mortgage)

Liberty Savings Bank, F.S.B., 12276 San Jose Blvd., Suite 108, Jacksonville, FL 32223, Plaintiff, vs. T.J. Land Trust, Inc., c/o Jon E. Helgason, Registered Agent, 3101 Old Highway 8, Suite 301, Roseville, MN 55113;

Jon E. Helgason, 30686 Wallmark Lake Drive, Chisago City, MN 55013;

Thomas Balko, 12815 Island View Circle, Rogers, MN 55374;

Heritage Greens of Hudson Community Association, Inc., c/o C.R. Hackworthy, Registered Agent, 216 Sommers Landing Road North, Hudson, WI 54016, Defendants.

THE STATE OF WISCONSIN, to each person named above as a defendant:

You are hereby notified that the Plaintiff named above has filed a lawsuit or other legal action against you.

Within 40 days after April 10, 2008, you must respond with a written demand for a copy of the complaint. The demand must be sent or delivered to the court, whose address is: 1101 Carmichael Road, Hudson, WI 54016 and to Gray & Associates, L.L.P., plaintiff’s attorney, whose address is 600 N. Broadway, Suite 300, Milwaukee, WI 53202. You may have an attorney help or represent you.

If you do not demand a copy of the complaint within 40 days, the court may grant judgment against you for the award of money or other legal action requested in the complaint, and you may lose your right to object to anything that is or may be incorrect in the complaint. A judgment may be enforced as provided by law. A judgment awarding money may become a lien against any real estate you own now or in the future, and may also be enforced by garnishment or seizure of property.

Gray & Associates, L.L.P, Attorneys for Plaintiff

Steven E. Zablocki, State Bar No. 1027190

Dated April 1, 2008.

Pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (15 U.S.C. Section 1692), we are required to state that we are attempting to collect a debt on our client’s behalf and any information we obtain will be used for that purpose.

(Pub. April 10 - Final April 24)
valerie

Saint Paul, MN

#360 Apr 15, 2008
Do you know where Jon lives? I won a small judgment against him last month, and would like to find assets of his to collect on since it doesn't look like he's going to pay up on his own.
Plot Thickens RIGHT

AOL

#361 Apr 15, 2008
Unless I am wrong, the suit that you posted is the result of a foreclosure.
If the property does not sell for the amount owed on the balance of the mortgage... The lender can file a judgement for the difference.
Sorry to ruin your thicker plot but the suit you posted is routine after a lender reclaims title.

Maple Grove

#362 Apr 16, 2008
Plot Thickens RIGHT wrote:
Unless I am wrong, the suit that you posted is the result of a foreclosure.
If the property does not sell for the amount owed on the balance of the mortgage... The lender can file a judgement for the difference.
Sorry to ruin your thicker plot but the suit you posted is routine after a lender reclaims title.
Just pointing out that these guys seem to be popping up in the news quite a bit as of late. I probably used the "wrong" verbiage in my post as the "plot" for these two has already been established.
Justice for Real Victims

Minneapolis, MN

#363 Apr 16, 2008
Charges dropped in Charez Jones murder
By ROCHELLE OLSON, Star Tribune
Last update: April 16, 2008 - 4:32 PM
June 10, 2007: Violence on North Side claims another innocent
Hours before the start of a murder trial in the shooting of a 14-year-old girl last summer, the defendant walked out of jail today for the first time in ten months.
The Hennepin County attorney's office can refile charges against Ken Dillard, but Deputy Hennepin County Attorney Pat Diamond couldn't say whether that will happen.
Jury selection started Monday and nine jurors had been selected for Dillard's second-degree murder trial in the death of Charez Jones outside a north Minneapolis birthday party on June 9. Dillard, a Tre Tre Crips member, was accused of shooting Jones by accident as he fired at rival Taliban gangsters.
On Tuesday, prosecutors said they got word from the defense about an alibi witness for Dillard. Prosecutors asked Hennepin County District Court Judge Kathryn Quaintance for a continuance until Monday. The judge denied the request.
Diamond said prosecutors were left with no choice than to ask that the charges be dismissed without prejudice, meaning they could be refiled. "We're not happy with it, but it's what we have to do to responsibly handle this case," Diamond said.
He said the dismissal was the best available option given the judge's refusal to grant a continuance. He said prosecutors were not pleased with the late revelation of an alibi witness because the defense is required to produce such information in a timely manner.
Despite the violation of discovery rules, the information requires investigation and the remedy should have been a continuance, Diamond said.
News of the alibi witness put prosecutors in a tough spot. As soon as a jury is sworn, the trial has begun and laws against double jeopardy are in place. That means Dillard's trial is considered to have begun and he couldn't be retried for the same crime.
The trial was on track to begin as early as Wednesday afternoon.
Diamond said it was "too soon to say" whether charges would be refiled against Dillard. "If we knew how they were going to play out, we wouldn't be upset that discovery violations had occurred," Diamond said.
Defense lawyers Carol Batsell-Benner and Angela Bailey did not return calls seeking comment.
Guy Jones, the father of Charez, was frustrated. He talked about how the judge declined the delay because of previously scheduled judicial training beginning April 28.
"I respect the judge. I think she was doing a marvelous job, but I think being human, there were some errors made," Jones said.
He said the judge gave the impression "this case kind of came at a bad time in her life. If this case wasn't a priority at the top of her list, she should have let someone else have it," Guy Jones said. "She said herself we need to know the truth."
Jones said he worries now the public is in jeopardy now that Dillard is out of jail.
A court spokeswoman said Quaintance couldn't comment because the charges could be refiled.
The case has proven to be a difficult one for prosecutors and police.
Charges were dropped last fall against Willie Cortez Buckingham in the case because of a dispute between prosecutors and a judge over Buckingham's police interrogation. He was accused of being an accomplice after the fact in the shooting.
"Star Tribune"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnesota Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Number of Minnesota adults without health insur... Dec 18 maryjaneprincton 1
Immigration reform: It's for families Dec 12 wild child 1
Thousands in Minnesota poised to benefit from O... Nov 21 ACE MCMILLAN 3
Why Wisconsin Sucks (Apr '10) Nov 20 I smell cow ass 150
Family fears woman latest Minnesotan drawn to S... Nov '14 8675309girl 3
Who's got your vote in the Minnesota Attorney G... Nov '14 JUNKYARD 3
Minnesota charity sets up Africa Ebola clinic Nov '14 They Go They Stay 1
More from around the web