Is Minnesota's welfare system a magne...

Is Minnesota's welfare system a magnet -- or just an easy target?

There are 274 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 23, 2009, titled Is Minnesota's welfare system a magnet -- or just an easy target?. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Following a legislative session that ended with no budget deal between Democrats and Republicans, Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 14
Next Last
Single Mom

Sparta, WI

#1 May 23, 2009
I am a single mom who works a full time job. I had got Medical Ass. and help with daycare until I made about 11 dollars an hour which included tips. I was told I made to much, my child got cut off of medical I recieved 350 every two wks, my job would have taken about 150 out of my check to have my child under the insurance. That would have left me 200 for rent and all the other bills?? My tips were for driving two hrs a day. I was suppose to get 150 a month child support in which I was not! I would like to know where the help is for a person trying make it as a single parent? A person should almost not try so you can make it, so many people who do not try seem to get more help than the ones that try?!? My thought is maybe the single parents that are actually trying, deserve some help also!!

Since: May 09

Mounds Park, St Paul

#2 May 24, 2009
I would hope we could figure out some simple way that people like Single Mom wouldn't have to struggle every single second (through tears,no doubt) to honestly pay her and her child's way. Don't you give up, dear.
DMZ

Saint Paul, MN

#3 May 24, 2009
Hey Single Mom....it seems you are able to afford internet just fine and I will bet you have a cell phone and cable as well so maybe it's a matter of priorities. Why do single parents often they think they are heroes as opposed to failures?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Tybalt

Saint Paul, MN

#4 May 24, 2009
minnesota welfare certainly does attract people from out of state. per-capita county welfare numbers is a very misleading statistic. people come here for the welfare. just ask them, instead trying to obfuscate the issue with phony statistical "analysis."
Hmmmmmmmmm

Saint Paul, MN

#5 May 24, 2009
Margie Gunderson wrote:
I would hope we could figure out some simple way that people like Single Mom wouldn't have to struggle every single second (through tears,no doubt) to honestly pay her and her child's way. Don't you give up, dear.
Makes you wonder where "dad" is.
fed up

Eden Prairie, MN

#6 May 24, 2009
How about co-pays in the ER and stop giving out prescriptions for OVER THE COUNTER medications. I have a 50 dollar co-pay and then have to pay 20% of the ER/hospital bill after that. If you are on MA you pay nothing and I see so many people coming to the ER for stupid stuff but they keep coming in because its free. I bet if they had a co pay they would think twice. I'm all for welfare/MA but not if you abuse it and 95% seem to abuse it. I pay for them to come to the hospital for their stupid stuff when they could have just taken some meds at home or gone to the clinic or whatever. Emergency Room means EMERGENCY!!!
Joe the Machinist

Black Hawk, SD

#7 May 24, 2009
Single Mom, the last four words of your post tell us whats in your heart and sadly enough, what is wrong with much of our society today. The first five words of your post tell us much also. Single "Mom-hood" is not a badge of honor nor something to be proud of. Of course I cannot know how you came to be a single mom, perhaps your husband passed away or he cheated on you and you divorced him, but I'll go out on a limb here and say it is neither of these. Remember, no society on earth owes it's members a living or even a partial living. A society only owes you an environment that allows you to make a living, and guess what - you live in the richest nation ever on the face of the earth, so hey - go make a living.
Bob the Bilderberg

Minneapolis, MN

#8 May 24, 2009
Whatever happened to people looking out for their own? Doesn't Single Mom have any parents? If I had a daughter in her circumstances I sure wouldn't let her and my grandchild suffer. I'd do anything to make sure she had a roof over her head and food to eat. What about siblings? Does she have any brothers or sisters she can count on?

It used to be people were reluctant to ask for government help. Now it's the choice of first resort instead of last.
roar

Henderson, MN

#9 May 24, 2009
A college friend of mine is a Doc at HCMC, he will tell you the number of people who travel to this HCMC from other states to have a baby and recieve other medical treatment is overwhelming. The system needs to be changed so it supports the residents of Mn.
Frustrated

Cottage Grove, MN

#10 May 24, 2009
"While 14 percent of welfare recipients have lived outside of Minnesota in the past year,"
This is deceptive. This only represents the past year. Show this figure, year for year, for the past decade. That history would mean something.

"he can't cut state spending without costing the state federal matching dollars"
So? A state dollar is a state dollar. If getting fewer federal matching dollars contributes to balancing the budget, then so be it.

The article focuses solely on families and fails to address the bigger issue. Statisically, it does not show the record for the longest a person or family has continously been on welfare (including any 'cooling off' periods) and it does not address how many repeat users there are - how well does the program do what it is supposed to do.
human too

United States

#11 May 24, 2009
I am amazed (no, not really) at all the superficial, shallow judgments leveled against "Single Mom." Let's be truthful here-- you DO NOT KNOW the circumstances of her case (neither do I). For all we know, Dad may have been full of false promises, and ultimately fleet of foot. Maybe Mom and Dad were married when their child was conceived, but Dad decided fatherhood "wasn't for him." Who knows? And that's exactly the point. You don't.
Just Me

Saint Paul, MN

#12 May 24, 2009
Perhaps there should be a waiting period for new state residents. Six months should be long enough to stop them from moving here just for the welfare. As for the Native Americans cited in the article in Belltrami county, if you are living on a reservation (sovereign nation) you should not qualify for state aid......make your choice which nation you belong to.

“Puppet At State Fair”

Since: Mar 09

Nowthen, MN

#13 May 24, 2009
Tybalt wrote:
minnesota welfare certainly does attract people from out of state. per-capita county welfare numbers is a very misleading statistic. people come here for the welfare. just ask them, instead trying to obfuscate the issue with phony statistical "analysis."
So, you have conducted your own poll of people on welfare as to why they came to Minnesota? How many people on welfare did you ask?

Next, you do not explain why per capita county welfare numbers are "very misleading."

You present no analysis or facts, yet deride validated statistical studies as "phony?"

You, my friend are the phony. Resentment is the most toxic of all drugs and you are clearly suffering from an overdose of it. Scapegoating the poor is the tactic of resentful bullies. However, I guess we shouldn't expect anything more from you.
Old Fart

United States

#14 May 24, 2009
How is it that "Single Mom" is a resident of Wisconsin and complaining about welfare in Minnesota? Maybe it's time for the State of Minnesota to become a national leader and require "Pregnancy Insurance" for all single women who want to engage in risky sexual practices. In my view, sex without a marriage contract opens the door to welfare for the single woman.
ranger47

International Falls, MN

#15 May 24, 2009
What a bunch of BS. Minnesota spends 50% more on welfare than the national average. Minnesota taxes it's citizens $1,800 per capita. The national average is $1,200. If we were at the national average, we'd spend $3 billion less, the budget would be balanced. We're the 7th highest state in the nation in spending on welfare. Look it up...
Bob the Bilderberg

Minneapolis, MN

#16 May 24, 2009
All this generosity with other people's money is nothing more than vote buying. And it obviously works to perpetuate the system.
Truth Detector

AOL

#17 May 24, 2009
Shouldnm't the headline read:

"Gov. Pawlenty perpetuates the lie about Minnesota being a welfare magnet"

or

"Pawlenty lying again about welfare"

or

"Pawlenty's own administration proves he's lying about welfare"

Why is it so hard for you people to call a liar a liar?
Truth Detector

AOL

#19 May 24, 2009
Just Me wrote:
Perhaps there should be a waiting period for new state residents. Six months should be long enough to stop them from moving here just for the welfare. As for the Native Americans cited in the article in Belltrami county, if you are living on a reservation (sovereign nation) you should not qualify for state aid......make your choice which nation you belong to.
Perhaps there should be a waiting period for morons like "Just Me" to read the article before commenting.

What part of this don't you understand you dim bulb?

"Yet an analysis shows that welfare reforms that started in the 1990s seem to be working. And there is scant evidence to suggest the state is a welfare magnet."

Maybe you stick to the sports pages, Just Me.
Truth Detector

AOL

#20 May 24, 2009
Tybalt wrote:
Hoo, hoo, hoo. We don't need no stinkin statistics to make our argument. Rush tells us it's so, so it is.

Hey Tybalt, don't your knuckles get sore from dragging on the ground all the time?
Workaday Oakdale Brother

Saint Paul, MN

#21 May 24, 2009
DMZ wrote:
Hey Single Mom....it seems you are able to afford internet just fine and I will bet you have a cell phone and cable as well so maybe it's a matter of priorities. Why do single parents often they think they are heroes as opposed to failures?
Perhaps her child needs Internet access in order to do his/her homework.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnesota Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Minnesota Commerce Department recommends agains... Sep 12 anonymous 1
News Sheriff: Man Shot Dead In Trailer Park, Juvenil... Sep 11 Aprillee1982 10
Horror hills (Nov '16) Sep 10 Wise One 2
News Attorney Applauds DeVos' Plan To Change College... Sep 9 Rubio s Foam Partays 2
News Minnesota officials: Measles outbreak is over; ... Sep 8 friend 8
Lake Superior agate people out there? (Apr '06) Aug 28 robert 298
News 1 Dead In Inver Grove Heights House Fire Aug 28 Aprillee1982 1
More from around the web