Court to decide if race preference ba...

Court to decide if race preference bans hurt diversity

There are 93 comments on the Reno Gazette-Journal story from Oct 13, 2013, titled Court to decide if race preference bans hurt diversity. In it, Reno Gazette-Journal reports that:

To hear Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette explain it, what could be wrong with a state constitutional amendment that "shall not discriminate against, or grant preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin?" Just about everything, says Mark Rosenbaum of the American Civil ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reno Gazette-Journal.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Robert

Douglasville, GA

#89 Oct 19, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the studies I've seen, blacks in affluent school districts graduate at the same 95% rate as whites.
While whites & Hispanics & blacks in poor school districts all have similarly low graduation rates, though blacks even more so.
It still maintain the evidence indicates a large part of the problem is how we fund our public schools, along with the obvious lack of parental involvement for many.
Love to read one of those studies because that conflicts with what I read. What I have read over and over is that the same things that make white kids perform better than other kids make black kids perform better than other kids. You can throw all the money at it you want but that is not what does it. It is all about taking more difficult courses and working hard when you are in high school. If you take and pass a math course above algebra II that alone regardless of race or wealth doubles your chances of graduating from a school of higher education. If you think the school will do it for you, you are nuts, parents are absolutely critical. It is a complex problem that people repeatedly narrow down to money and opportunity but it is not that simple. You can have all the affirmative action programs you want giving opportunity to those who did not do the right things in high school but you will still be left with the problem and the proof is in the graduation rates. In 2009-10 the national graduation rate for Black male students was 52%. The graduation rate for White, non-Latino males was 78%. If you do a xy graph of every state charting money spend on education and graduation rate the dots are all over the place with no patterns. This gives people a whole range to cherry pick states to prove what ever point they want. It all comes down to hard work determination and involved parents. If you think you have done your part and it is up to your child and the well funded school to so it you are a fool.

“Come and get it! ”

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

#90 Oct 19, 2013
Didn't think you had any.

You and your fellow democrats admittedly want to treat a group of people differently based on the color of their skin. You've obviously proven who the real "racists" are here.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#91 Oct 19, 2013
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>Still waiting for you to present your evidence proving that republicans are "racist", as you claim.
That's like asking for proof the sun rises in the east....

Tawas City, Michigan

#93 Oct 19, 2013
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
Love to read one of those studies because that conflicts with what I read. What I have read over and over is that the same things that make white kids perform better than other kids make black kids perform better than other kids. You can throw all the money at it you want but that is not what does it. It is all about taking more difficult courses and working hard when you are in high school. If you take and pass a math course above algebra II that alone regardless of race or wealth doubles your chances of graduating from a school of higher education. If you think the school will do it for you, you are nuts, parents are absolutely critical. It is a complex problem that people repeatedly narrow down to money and opportunity but it is not that simple. You can have all the affirmative action programs you want giving opportunity to those who did not do the right things in high school but you will still be left with the problem and the proof is in the graduation rates. In 2009-10 the national graduation rate for Black male students was 52%. The graduation rate for White, non-Latino males was 78%. If you do a xy graph of every state charting money spend on education and graduation rate the dots are all over the place with no patterns. This gives people a whole range to cherry pick states to prove what ever point they want. It all comes down to hard work determination and involved parents. If you think you have done your part and it is up to your child and the well funded school to so it you are a fool.
I already provided you that info before, but you apparently ignored it because it conflicted with what you already believe.

I've also repeatedly stated how important parental involvement and individual student motivation is.

But you obviously are unaware that many poor schools don't even OFFER a math class above Algebra. They don't offer many of the "difficult courses" as you put it, because they can't afford to hire the qualified teachers for those courses. My nephew recently graduated from high school where his music teacher was also the math teacher; the shop teacher was also the science teacher. He had straight A's in high school but couldn't get accepted into ANY university- because he didn't have the necessary advanced math, science, & language courses; they simply weren't even available. So he joined ended up joining the military and is now working on getting his college degree between deployments to Afghanistan. That's why so many poor kids- especially minorities- end up enlisting; it's their only realistic shot at a decent life- assuming they don't get killed in the process.

Money may not buy happiness, but it sure as hell buys a better chance at a quality education.

Only the wealthy & privileged whites would deny that is true.

“Come and get it! ”

Traverse City

#94 Oct 19, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
That's like asking for proof the sun rises in the east....
Like I said, you've got no proof of anything. Typical democrat. You call people who disagree with your viewpoint racists and liars, hoping nobody calls you out, and when they do you run and hide.
Robert

Douglasville, GA

#96 Oct 19, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I already provided you that info before, but you apparently ignored it because it conflicted with what you already believe.
I've also repeatedly stated how important parental involvement and individual student motivation is.
But you obviously are unaware that many poor schools don't even OFFER a math class above Algebra. They don't offer many of the "difficult courses" as you put it, because they can't afford to hire the qualified teachers for those courses. My nephew recently graduated from high school where his music teacher was also the math teacher; the shop teacher was also the science teacher. He had straight A's in high school but couldn't get accepted into ANY university- because he didn't have the necessary advanced math, science, & language courses; they simply weren't even available. So he joined ended up joining the military and is now working on getting his college degree between deployments to Afghanistan. That's why so many poor kids- especially minorities- end up enlisting; it's their only realistic shot at a decent life- assuming they don't get killed in the process.
Money may not buy happiness, but it sure as hell buys a better chance at a quality education.
Only the wealthy & privileged whites would deny that is true.
If affirmitave action were the answer the problem would be solved, it is a policy first put in place by Kennedy in 1961, 487 years is not enough, just tell me how long does it take. Never mind just put your racist head back in the sand and let your own black kids suffer why you try to come up with an ingenious solution to a problem that does not exist while you ignore the truth.

Tawas City, Michigan

#98 Oct 19, 2013
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>Like I said, you've got no proof of anything. Typical democrat. You call people who disagree with your viewpoint racists and liars, hoping nobody calls you out, and when they do you run and hide.
The sun rises in the east.
The moon revolves around the earth.
Winter follows fall.
Republicans are racists.

No proof necessary for the obvious.

Tawas City, Michigan

#99 Oct 19, 2013
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
If affirmitave action were the answer the problem would be solved, it is a policy first put in place by Kennedy in 1961, 487 years is not enough, just tell me how long does it take. Never mind just put your racist head back in the sand and let your own black kids suffer why you try to come up with an ingenious solution to a problem that does not exist while you ignore the truth.
So now affirmative action has been around 487 years? Really??

Typo of yours aside, it took 200+ years of slavery & Jim Crow & segregation etc to get into this situation; it's going to take more than 52 years of a few minor affirmative action programs (which whites worked to sabotage every step of the way) to correct for that.

Lets see how they're doing after about 200+ of a REAL affirmative action program and corrections to address the educational inequities.

“Come and get it! ”

Traverse City

#100 Oct 19, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Republicans are racists.
No proof necessary for the obvious.
I've demonstrated why people like you are clear racists for treating people differently based solely on the color of their skin. I've asked you three times to back up your statement and you refuse to do so. The reason you can't is because you know that in reality, you and your party are the true racists.

Checkmate, my racist friend. You Lose...

Tawas City, Michigan

#101 Oct 19, 2013
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>I've demonstrated why people like you are clear racists for treating people differently based solely on the color of their skin. I've asked you three times to back up your statement and you refuse to do so. The reason you can't is because you know that in reality, you and your party are the true racists.
Checkmate, my racist friend. You Lose...
Except of course we all know the Republicans are the racists, which is why black & Hispanics & Asians don't vote for them.

But you can continue to pretend they will if you want.

Gee, I wonder why you'll lose the 2016 election......

“Come and get it! ”

Traverse City

#103 Oct 20, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Except of course we all know the Republicans are the racists.
You continue to say that and refusing to back it up with evidence.

I find it hilariously appropriate that you call yourself a "sheeple", as you blindly repeat lies that you hear somebody else say from your liberal media sources, and when asked to explain your obviously ignorant allegations, you can't.

Tawas City, Michigan

#104 Oct 20, 2013
Wise_Crack_er wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, it should be a school that takes federal funding's "CHOICE",
....but it shouldn't be a private business owner's choice NOT to let you thieves in their store?
lmao!
Liberalism IS a mental disorder,
and blacks prove it EVERY time they open their mouth.
A business open to the public must be open to everyone.

Tawas City, Michigan

#105 Oct 20, 2013
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>You continue to say that and refusing to back it up with evidence.
I find it hilariously appropriate that you call yourself a "sheeple", as you blindly repeat lies that you hear somebody else say from your liberal media sources, and when asked to explain your obviously ignorant allegations, you can't.
Only the sheeple need evidence for the obvious.

Good sheeple....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michigan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Al Capone's West Michigan ties: Fact or fun-fic... (Jan '06) Nov 16 rider 832
Election Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Nov 3 Purplehats 318
News Model train enthusiast builds city in miniature Oct 29 WATCHING LIVONIA 1
News Ex-Michigan assistant AG fired for stalking gay... Oct 27 rider 8
News What we still owe our Vietnam veterans Oct 27 rider 9
News Consumers energy raises gas rate (Dec '08) Oct 23 Noneofyourbusiness 70
How many Hells Angels chapters in Michigan? (Oct '12) Oct '17 GoFurmom 115
More from around the web