repeal the Michigan Driver responsibi...
Charles

Farmington, MI

#21 Jan 30, 2008
i understand totally. see we can blame madd and the insurance companys for creating this 30 billion dollar industry. the fact is this, sobber drivers kill 2 thirds of the people in car accidents in america. drunk drivers kill 1 thrids of people in accidents in america. it would appear to me that if you want to reduce fatal accidence, we should rid of the sobber drivers. That shows you who our government is protecting. The insurance agency. Again, we have to understand first who our enemy is in order to take action. the revenue agent(local police officer, county sheriff dep.,state trooper)are there to protect the investment of the insurance agency's profits. lets get involved and get this thing put on the ballot for november.
fedupwithillegaltaxation wrote:
My son, who is in college, got caught in this web and it has affected his life, and, by extension, my life in the most destructive ways. He and I were paying his way through college. He lost his job because he could no longer make it to work on time. His license were suspended and public transportation in Michigan is a joke. We could not afford to pay tuition costs and the ticket and the court fees and the driver responsibility fees. He received a ticket for DUI, and before you pass judgement, he was not driving recklessly or destroying anyone's property. He was pulled over while entering the driveway of his apartment complex for a "light being out over his license plate" on a Saturday night(Sunday morning) at 2:30 a.m. The officer said he smelled alcohol on his breath and the rest is history. In other words, my son was pulled over so that the state could extort $2000.00 from us and limit his ability to obtain an education and employment. I am fed up with this illegal taxation that disproprtionately harms the poor and inteferes with their ability to make an honest living.
Charles

Farmington, MI

#22 Jan 30, 2008
see. these people are so hell bent on taking your property and wealth, but ms mole wants to give your state away to big corporations TAX FREE. It appears that your gonna have to take your case to court. But we need a court case that address the matter a point of view of the legality of the law. remember, legislature inacts laws that are unconstitutional all the time. the problem is there is nobody with the recources to challenge it. that is why i'm trying to raise 1 million to put this on the ballot.
Brenda wrote:
My daughter received drivers responsibilty fee, i made arrangements to have money taken out of my account,(EFT)I also sent a voided check, they cashed the first check and then sent ME a letter saying they had the wrong account number so I sent the arrangement back in and ANOTHER voided check. I never heard another word from them and couldn't find out anything about why they didn't do the EFT. They also took her income tax, but they still say she owes the initial $500.00. So, WHERE is our money ???
Don

Coldwater, MI

#23 Jan 31, 2008
Charles wrote:
The way it was explained to me, we have to do what the guy from california did and have one million dollars. then we have to get 100 thousand signatures of registered voters in the state. If we could raise the money by july and have the signitures, we could make it happen. I've visited with the NAACP to ask for support on the matter and it appears that im not making any progress. There for, this has to be done at the grass roots level. the more we talk here the better. in the mean time, go to the michigan dot gov website and click on legislature. pick out your representitave and your senator and e-mail them what you think about the law. then ask them to support house bill# 4006 and senate bill# 0638 These are bills that repeal the legislation. Then find the head of the transportation committe Hoon-Young Hopegood) and call or e-mail him. He is the reason that they havent done anything with this.
Now like i said earler, i have tried to do this on my own to no avail. NAACP don't look to be interested. Now im looking to the National Motorist Assosiation Ms. Canada Mole Grandholm is in support of this bill and selling all of michigan wilderness to forgin companys without paying taxes, but wants you to pay three times for making a mistake.
<quoted text>
No money here but I am good for getting at least 100 signatures.
Don

Coldwater, MI

#24 Jan 31, 2008
Charles wrote:
see. these people are so hell bent on taking your property and wealth, but ms mole wants to give your state away to big corporations TAX FREE. It appears that your gonna have to take your case to court. But we need a court case that address the matter a point of view of the legality of the law. remember, legislature inacts laws that are unconstitutional all the time. the problem is there is nobody with the recources to challenge it. that is why i'm trying to raise 1 million to put this on the ballot.
<quoted text>
I think there is a very good chance I can find the right case to take it to court but we will need an attorney who wants to champion it.
rachel63

Farmington, MI

#25 Jan 31, 2008
I had not received an ticket in over 20 years. Then on 9/10/03, after being wronfully terminated from my job, I forgot to buckle up before my drive home. A state police officer spotted me and pulled me over. As I was trying to explain to the officer why I had forgotten to buckle up I started crying. He showed no compassion at all ( he probably thought I was faking),and issued me a ticket. Subsequently after loosing my job I lost my place of residence, was unemployed for almost a year, and could not pay the ticket. My license was suspended and subsequently a heap load of driver responsiblity fees were assessed to me, which now total more than 800.00, which I cannot pay. I just paid over 1300 in tickets and other fines that occured as a result of this one incident. The driver responsiblity is nothing more than a way for the working class citzens of Michigan to pay for the mis management of state funds by the legislator. Grnaholm, I did not vote you in and I definelty will NOT be voting for you at re-election time. Since you became Govenor nothing has changed. The only thing I can see that you did was pass this unfair law.
charles

Farmington, MI

#26 Jan 31, 2008
I found a good source of informatin. Go to www.mororist.org and contact them. they have info on an online petetion and attorneys that is willing to fight this. i just found this yesterday.
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
I think there is a very good chance I can find the right case to take it to court but we will need an attorney who wants to champion it.
charles

Farmington, MI

#27 Jan 31, 2008
im sorry. www.motorist.org dis
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
Don

Coldwater, MI

#28 Jan 31, 2008
The problem is that everyone thinks "it's your own fault" until it happens to them and they find out what a shafting it is. Until then it's not their problem and after that it's to late.
Unhappy Visitor

Flint, MI

#29 Jan 31, 2008
I have come to realize that this state is all about sucking every last dime from the remaining residents/ businesses that are stuck here. Instead of making the state a place people would like to be; legislators make up revenue for the people and businesses that they have sent running like a cat on fire by increasing taxes, tickets, fees to the captive audience remaining. Cant wait to live in a state that doesn't eviscerate it's own citizens. Until then I will continue to remark about the granite sculptures and luxurious bathrooms in the court houses that try our cases AKA collect Money. Repeal this dumb law.
Towne Krier wrote:
The Driverís Responsibility Act was enacted to promote safe driving in Michigan and deter potentially dangerous behavior. Instead, it has become an undue burden on our poorest citizens, capturing many of them in an unbreakable circle of unaffordable fees and suspended licenses.This law has been design to punish you twice for the same offense. There is no other purpose for this law other than to take your money. If you can not pay the responsibility fees then your driving privilege are suspended. In order to get the suspension removed you have to pay The Secretary of State a re-instatement fee of a 125.00. Plus the responsibility fees from the State Treasury department.
This law puts the burden on people who are already burden down. If you're able to come up with the money to pay the tickets. How in the hell will you come up with more money to pay additional fees.There must be a voice for this injustice and this law must be repealed. The time is now to take a stand against unreasonable taxing of the people. We must show our legislature that we wonít support those who support this law.
charles

United States

#30 Feb 1, 2008
hey don
i found the online petiton. go to www.michigan-driver-responsibility-law.com scroll down andSIGH THE PETITION.
Don wrote:
The problem is that everyone thinks "it's your own fault" until it happens to them and they find out what a shafting it is. Until then it's not their problem and after that it's to late.
charles

United States

#31 Feb 1, 2008
go to www.michigan-driver-responsibility-law.com and sign the petition to repeal the law there
Don

Coldwater, MI

#32 Feb 1, 2008
Charles wrote:
i've spoken to the NAACP,and numerous representitaves, and senators, and sent my concernes to ms mole the governor. all to no avail. what has to happen is we have to get this thing put on the ballot for november for us to vote on or fight this in the courts. i agree that these liars and theves are hell bent on taking your property, our property, in order to make up for their ridiculous spending. They sit in the state capital with huge salaries, health and dental insurance FOR LIFE, and clame the state to be suffering from financial hardship. If we go the way of the ballot, we will still have to pay current fines. If we take it to the court, we could get a class action lawsuit and possibly have everyones fines returned to them.
<quoted text>
How about the ACLU? After all, it's not about race, it's about raping anyone it can...
chalres

Farmington, MI

#33 Feb 6, 2008
i tried them. i cant get a response from them. but go to www.michigan-driver-responsibility-law.com and sign the petetion. then you can contact the national motorist association. The lady there told me they have lawyers and other help there.
chalres pemberton

Farmington, MI

#34 Feb 9, 2008
It appears that Iím being sensored here. I found some good information about this topic that everyone should see:
Everyone google in Hale vs Hincle and reed the outcome of that supreme court case. It will make you wonder and hopefull act accordingly
Monica

Southfield, MI

#35 Feb 16, 2008
I need some help. I am wondering what will happen to me in court. I have a suspended license. I'm actually paying it off right now - its been 2 years since I got my ticket that resulted in me getting my suspended license because I was laid off and couldnt pay all the fines. So I owe over $1000 to get my license back with the tickets and the reinstatement fee. When I finally had the money (because I just got a new job) I called the court a few weeks ago to pay the tickets and they said that since it had been so long I had to call some Michigan State Collections Department. So- I called them, arranged for them to take money out of my savings account. The 1st payment was made on February 6th,2008. The second and final payment is scheduled to be taken out on Weds. February 20, 2008. Then, of course, I still have to go to the S.O.S and pay the reinstatement fee and get insurance and tags. WELL- I got pulled over this morning on my way to work. My husband has been driving me to work, but go figure the day he has to take his car because we have an opposite work schedule today- I get pulled over! the cop tells me he is going to have to arrest me - I immediately start freaking out and crying because I am on my way to work and I cant lose my job! It took long enough to find this job in this crappy economy as it was. anyways- i had to lie to this cop (which i hated doing), because I could NOT get arrested- I could NOT lose my job. My husband and I JUST started getting back up on our feet after losing our home in a foreclosure in September. I told the officer that I had just paid everything off a few days ago, he said it must not be registered in the system yet - he of course asks me for proof of it and i tell him I must of left it in my husbands car.....stupid of me to lie - i know... but can you blame me? He writes me a ticket for 1) driving on a suspended license 2) No proof of insurance and 3) expired plates. He tells me that the court will mail me something in about a month to summon me to court where I will have to appear before a judge. What will happen? I lied to the cop - is this going to come up in court? Will it make matters worse for me? Can someone please help me out here - I have never went to court for a suspended license before. Thanks in advance for any help. I really appreciate it.
charles

Farmington, MI

#36 Feb 18, 2008
you have already waived your 1st 4th and 5th amendments rights by talking to the officer. now, everything you said can and will be used against you in the court. How did you not got to jail in west bloomfield. they are so rediculus there, they violate peoples rights with no remorse there. now, all you can do is try to pay everything before going to court. if you want, sign the petition we have started www.michigan-driver-responsibility-law.com
Scott from Farwell

Mount Pleasant, MI

#37 Feb 29, 2008
I think that the fees are B.S also. If you call up and ask what they use this money for no one can give you a good answer. I voted for Grandholm myself man what was I thinking. The night I got stopped it was windy and the roads were icy and the Sheriff Deputy said I was swerving, which I wasn't it was just hard to control my car on the icy road with the wind. I had a couple of drinks after work and was on my way to deliver papers. I feel I did wrong, but to pay these outrageous fees is just bull.
jake

Escanaba, MI

#38 Mar 1, 2008
I agree that michigan as a state has to stand up to the double dipping of "Jennifer Granhole". I received #2 D.U.I. in 2004, as a result I received 2yrs reporting probation,6 mnths. intensive outpatient theropy,mandatory random, and daily p.b.t's random for 1 yr and daily for 70 days 5.00$ each time, Victum impact panels,150.00$ M.A.D.D panel 150.00$ Mandatory A.A meetings 3 times a week 2 yrs. Plus all court costs,fines,and supervision fees, Not to mention my attorney fees. This caused my realationship to fail, because I was never home and my wife was tired of driving me around somtimes four to five nights a week. My offense was a .10 on a dirt road doing less than 25 mph, burned out liscence plate light was the reason for the stop. I did my time and successfully completed probation. the only thing keeping my driving priveledge is the drivers resp. fees totaling about 4000.00$ I have been in financial distress since all of this began, child support, and Michigan's dissmal economy hasent helped. Please somone help. LETS join together and make a stand against Michigan's secretary of state. I mean why dont we go to Lansing and protest, I 'am willing to get myself to Lansings front door and camp in protest furthermore I have a number of friends and family who are willing to participate in the hundreds. please repost my comments. sincerely Jacob Porter
john

Mount Pleasant, MI

#39 Mar 3, 2008
THIS DRIVER RESPONSIBILITY FEE STINKS---I LIVE FROM ONE PAYCHECK TO ANOTHER..TWO YEARS AGO I WAS PULLED OVER AND HAD A 5 OVER SPEEDING TICKET LESS THAN A MONTH OLD AND MY LICENSE WAS ALREADY SUSPENDED FOR IT..WELL NOW I GET A SUSPENDED OPS AND NOT HAVING PROOF OF INSURANCE IN VEHICLE TICKET..600.00+ TO MECOSTA COUNTY COURTS AND 700.00 DRIVER RESPONSIBILITY FEES TO THE STATE FOR 2 YEARS TOTALING 1400.00..I CALL THE STATE TREASURY IN DEC 2007 AND LET THEM KNOW I WILL PAY IT OFF FIRST WEEK OF MARCH---2 WEEKS BEFORE THAT 2 CITY COPS SURROUND MY PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT JUST WAITING FOR ME TO LEAVE WORK AND PULL ME OVER AND GIVE ME A 2ND SUSPENDED OPS TICKET--NOW I CAN EVEN GET TO WORK WITHOUT SPENDING CLOSE TO 150.00 IN GAS A WEEK AND I AM SUPPOSE TO PAY THESE STUPID FEES ON TOP OF IT..NOT TO MENTION THAT NEITHER TIME DID I RECEIVE NOTICE OF SUSPENSION OF DRIVING PRIVILEDGES--AND I HAVE NOT MOVED SINCE 2005 AND MY ADDRESS HAS NOT CHANGEDWHICH IS BEFORE EVER RECEIVING THE SPEEDING TICKET FOR 5 OVER WHICH TRIGGERED THIS BS..I THINK THE REASON MICHIGANS UNEMPLOYMENT RATE IS SO HIGH NOW IS BECAUSE THE STATE IS MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR CITIZENS TO GET TO WORK WITH THESE STUPID FEES AND NOT SENDING SUSPENSION NOTICES LIKE THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO..THESE FEES ARE DOUBLE JEOPARDY AND SHOULD BE DONE AWAY WITH.
Sue

Mendon, MI

#40 Mar 6, 2008
As of yet there is no petition to repeal the DRL, but we are working on it....sign the petition on line and tell everyone else you know to do it as well. This fee poses double jeopardy as well as creating a 21st century "debtor's prison".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michigan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... (Nov '16) 1 hr Tm Cln 8,937
News LGBT group asks Michigan commission for legal p... Wed Peter 8
News LGBT group asks Civil Rights Commission for leg... Aug 15 Gremlin 4
News In major shift, Americans now disapprove of Tru... Aug 6 C Kersey 2
News Naked man arrested was high on LSD chasing seag... Aug 6 make america grea... 24
News Mother whose 4 children were murdered by ex-hus... Aug 4 Tex- 2
William ross,aka will ross, rape warrants Jul 28 I heard 2
More from around the web