repeal the Michigan Driver responsibility fees

Posted in the Michigan Forum

First Prev
of 27
Next Last
Towne Krier

Lincoln Park, MI

#1 Nov 28, 2007
The Driverís Responsibility Act was enacted to promote safe driving in Michigan and deter potentially dangerous behavior. Instead, it has become an undue burden on our poorest citizens, capturing many of them in an unbreakable circle of unaffordable fees and suspended licenses.This law has been design to punish you twice for the same offense. There is no other purpose for this law other than to take your money. If you can not pay the responsibility fees then your driving privilege are suspended. In order to get the suspension removed you have to pay The Secretary of State a re-instatement fee of a 125.00. Plus the responsibility fees from the State Treasury department.
This law puts the burden on people who are already burden down. If you're able to come up with the money to pay the tickets. How in the hell will you come up with more money to pay additional fees.There must be a voice for this injustice and this law must be repealed. The time is now to take a stand against unreasonable taxing of the people. We must show our legislature that we wonít support those who support this law.

Since: Nov 07

Lincoln Park, MI

#2 Nov 28, 2007
Don't think for one minute you won't be affected by this extortion. You or someone you know will be one day. Then there no since in crying, if you won't get involved.
fedupwithillegal taxation

Hartland, MI

#3 Dec 9, 2007
My son, who is in college, got caught in this web and it has affected his life, and, by extension, my life in the most destructive ways. He and I were paying his way through college. He lost his job because he could no longer make it to work on time. His license were suspended and public transportation in Michigan is a joke. We could not afford to pay tuition costs and the ticket and the court fees and the driver responsibility fees. He received a ticket for DUI, and before you pass judgement, he was not driving recklessly or destroying anyone's property. He was pulled over while entering the driveway of his apartment complex for a "light being out over his license plate" on a Saturday night(Sunday morning) at 2:30 a.m. The officer said he smelled alcohol on his breath and the rest is history. In other words, my son was pulled over so that the state could extort $2000.00 from us and limit his ability to obtain an education and employment. I am fed up with this illegal taxation that disproprtionately harms the poor and inteferes with their ability to make an honest living.
drivers resp fee is bs

Jacksonville, FL

#4 Dec 28, 2007
i'm from michigan and now live in florida i have that stupid fee from there for driving on a suspended, the first time didn't know my license was suspended the second time i was just trying to go to work, i can't get my license here in florida because it's suspended there and i have to pay that stupid fee which equils 2000 dollars, i hope they repeal it soon, all my fines r paid i think it's bs that they have my license suspended still.
Jeremy M

Kalamazoo, MI

#5 Dec 29, 2007
First, I must say that my life was ruined by this. I already lost my license and as a result, would lose my Job and a lot of Friends. To add insult to injury, I had to pay over $1000. It put my parents in a bad situation.Seeing as I would soon have to quit my job as a PAPER CARRIER THAT NEEDS A CAR! the money we had to pay made things much much worse! This is HEARTLESS! It sounds real good on paper to the people who have the money to just pay the money and walk away but IT HURTS THE ALREADY CRIPPLED ECONOMY IN MICHIGAN! Just my two cents, you can take it or leave it.:/
Tina

AOL

#6 Jan 5, 2008
I really feel with all of the nasty things that are goind on in michigan...Granholmey is the worst affender to all her people here. She has cut down our beautifull woods and made no new jobs for anyone...and now this...she is robbing us all just to make money to blow. I voted for her...shame on me....sorry...from under the Big Mackinaw Bridge.
Tina

AOL

#7 Jan 5, 2008
I really feel with all of the nasty things that are going on in michigan...Granholmey is the worst affender to all her people here. She has cut down our beautifull woods and made no new jobs for anyone...and now this...she is robbing us all just to make money to blow. I voted for her...shame on me....sorry...from under the Big Mackinaw Bridge.
Don

Coldwater, MI

#8 Jan 6, 2008
I have a friend who is a recovering alcoholic. 17-25 years ago he was picked up for DWI 4 times. He quit drinking for the next 16 years. Then he started again. After about one year it was out of control and he got another DWI. He has again sobered up and is putting his life back together but now he facing $10K of responsiblity fees! The state went all the way back and added all of his prior DWI's for his total fee! His last prior was 17 years before and at that time DWI's fell off your driving record after 7 years but not now. This is a retroactive law and should be illegal. For Christ's sakes, if he went 17 years before I'd think he'd have a real good chance to stay sober again.

Granholm relies on tactics to charge exessive fees that will go under the radar because most people won't think about them. After all, no one cares about DWI fines because they deserve them right? Let them pay the fines so I don't get my tax increase...The problem is these things sneak up and get a lot of people who never thought it would affect them.
Kathy M

Cincinnati, OH

#9 Jan 16, 2008
This law needs to be stop. After already paying out 1500. lawyer fee, 850. court fee, 350. Sheriff fee, we are broke. 2,700 paid out all together. With regrets for the above, we then receive a bill for 2,000. TWO THOUSANDS DOLLARS. With the threat of paid or lose your license. Forever. This is double dipping. It is a crime in it self. Nobody can afford this double jeopardy. We all need to stand together to stop this.
Cindy

Tecumseh, MI

#10 Jan 18, 2008
My son (and ultimately me) have truly been burdened by this "fee". It has nothing to do with safe driving or the Secretary of State. It is simply penalty income for the state of Michigan and is in addition to the fines and fees for the legal system and the Sec of State. It seems to most affect the people who can least afford it. You lose your license if you don't pay it so then you can't get to work and round and round and round. It is so wrong!
Diane

Saranac, MI

#11 Jan 20, 2008
I havent had a ticket in 25 years, knock on wood, but my neighbor got a speeding ticket,paid that, but since he isnt one to open his mail,and I am not even sure he got a notice, I didnt see one and I take in his mail, he didnt pay the Ha Ha screw you fine, and lost his license. He didnt know he had a suspended license, got pulled over for a taillight out, went to jail and had court fines, tickets and all that. Now he doesnt have a license still and has $4500 in fines to pay. You would think that would be more than enough, but no. He recieved a letter letting him know if he doesnt get it paid, the state in all HER glory, can and will take all real and personal property he own and may aqquire, until this is paid. So, it isnt just money they want , now they are threating to take everything he owns. Can you say Gestapo???? Makes you wonder where you really live. I drive very carefully and try to do all I can to not get a ticket, what with jobs going out of state, I can afford to get in any trouble,It is enough to make you move before they can get you. Oh and by the way, you can not go around a vehicle turning left, on the right. Didnt know, found out from our local law officer, who was nice enough not to give me the $75 ticket, accompined by who knows how large a few. Be careful out there.
ROBBED OF LIFE

Chicago, IL

#12 Jan 22, 2008
HOW PATHETIC!! I was chased from the curb in kentucky after having one drink in the first month of moving there. Peace officer came down the side of my car calling me a YANKEE! YANK ME! I hadnt changed my drivers liscense over, plead not guilty two times, by the third time i went to court i was tired of being beat up. Plead guilty to get it over with. paid two thousand to state of kentucky, another 1000 for hang out with drunk classes. went to get a liscense! told i had to reinstate michigans first. TRICK STATE told me to get back to michigan however i could, not saying anything about driver resposibility fees. thought i would pay 155 reinstatement fee and the nightmare would be over...WRONG!! drove 500 miles illegel back to MICHIGANISTAN for them to tell me i HAD to pay another 3000 to MICHIGANISTAN for the same one drink i had in kentucky!!!! What a joke!!!!!!! What a SCAM!!!!
OOOOH!! and now MICHIGANISTAN is going to stop giving illegal immigrants liscenses.. INCREDIBLE!!!!IM 35 yrs old, paid so much tax to MICHIGANISTAN, i cant count, but i cant have my drivers liscense back. Ill never pay the MICHIGANISTAN SCAM, Throw Granholm in the Boston harbor with the tea, throw in a few racist police officers too..........
Don

Coldwater, MI

#13 Jan 23, 2008
Think it won't affect you? Well think again! If you can not find your proof of insurance while a cop is looking down his nose at you, you will pay a "fee" $200 each year for two years plus the ticket and court cost. Note that this isn't for not having insurance but for not havng PROOF of insurance. That's four hundred dollars PLUS for a messy glove box.
Charles

United States

#14 Jan 28, 2008
I have been spoken to numerous representitaves and senators. The person holding HB#4006 is Hoon Young Hopgood. He is the head of the transportation committy in the house. We have to get alot of people to contact him to apply pressure to have the bill taken out of the commity and onto the floor for vote.. other than that, we have to get this thing put on the ballot this november and have it repealed by the citizens. Honestly, that is the only way it's going to happen. You have to rememer, we are dealing with theives and liers here. and when you deal with theives and liers, you get solen from and lied to.
Towne Krier wrote:
The Driverís Responsibility Act was enacted to promote safe driving in Michigan and deter potentially dangerous behavior. Instead, it has become an undue burden on our poorest citizens, capturing many of them in an unbreakable circle of unaffordable fees and suspended licenses.This law has been design to punish you twice for the same offense. There is no other purpose for this law other than to take your money. If you can not pay the responsibility fees then your driving privilege are suspended. In order to get the suspension removed you have to pay The Secretary of State a re-instatement fee of a 125.00. Plus the responsibility fees from the State Treasury department.
This law puts the burden on people who are already burden down. If you're able to come up with the money to pay the tickets. How in the hell will you come up with more money to pay additional fees.There must be a voice for this injustice and this law must be repealed. The time is now to take a stand against unreasonable taxing of the people. We must show our legislature that we wonít support those who support this law.
Charles

United States

#15 Jan 28, 2008
i've spoken to the NAACP,and numerous representitaves, and senators, and sent my concernes to ms mole the governor. all to no avail. what has to happen is we have to get this thing put on the ballot for november for us to vote on or fight this in the courts. i agree that these liars and theves are hell bent on taking your property, our property, in order to make up for their ridiculous spending. They sit in the state capital with huge salaries, health and dental insurance FOR LIFE, and clame the state to be suffering from financial hardship. If we go the way of the ballot, we will still have to pay current fines. If we take it to the court, we could get a class action lawsuit and possibly have everyones fines returned to them.
ROBBED OF LIFE wrote:
HOW PATHETIC!! I was chased from the curb in kentucky after having one drink in the first month of moving there. Peace officer came down the side of my car calling me a YANKEE! YANK ME! I hadnt changed my drivers liscense over, plead not guilty two times, by the third time i went to court i was tired of being beat up. Plead guilty to get it over with. paid two thousand to state of kentucky, another 1000 for hang out with drunk classes. went to get a liscense! told i had to reinstate michigans first. TRICK STATE told me to get back to michigan however i could, not saying anything about driver resposibility fees. thought i would pay 155 reinstatement fee and the nightmare would be over...WRONG!! drove 500 miles illegel back to MICHIGANISTAN for them to tell me i HAD to pay another 3000 to MICHIGANISTAN for the same one drink i had in kentucky!!!! What a joke!!!!!!! What a SCAM!!!!
OOOOH!! and now MICHIGANISTAN is going to stop giving illegal immigrants liscenses.. INCREDIBLE!!!!IM 35 yrs old, paid so much tax to MICHIGANISTAN, i cant count, but i cant have my drivers liscense back. Ill never pay the MICHIGANISTAN SCAM, Throw Granholm in the Boston harbor with the tea, throw in a few racist police officers too..........
johnnymac

Atlanta, GA

#16 Jan 28, 2008
I'm a transplanted Wolverine in the retarded state of georgia...things are tuff all over! It appears to me you could try to start the same thing I am doing down here and that is vote against all incumbents every time! If they won't give us term limits...lets take them and vote the new guy in everytime! Unfortunately this takes patience and brains which are real scarce and seems to be a common trend in this "dumbed down for easier control" country of ours...911 destroyed this place and it was an inside job ...DUH
Don

Coldwater, MI

#17 Jan 28, 2008
Charles wrote:
i've spoken to the NAACP,and numerous representitaves, and senators, and sent my concernes to ms mole the governor. all to no avail. what has to happen is we have to get this thing put on the ballot for november for us to vote on or fight this in the courts. i agree that these liars and theves are hell bent on taking your property, our property, in order to make up for their ridiculous spending. They sit in the state capital with huge salaries, health and dental insurance FOR LIFE, and clame the state to be suffering from financial hardship. If we go the way of the ballot, we will still have to pay current fines. If we take it to the court, we could get a class action lawsuit and possibly have everyones fines returned to them.
<quoted text>
So hook me up! Where's the petition? What do I need to do?
Brenda

Lansing, MI

#18 Jan 29, 2008
My daughter received drivers responsibilty fee, i made arrangements to have money taken out of my account,(EFT)I also sent a voided check, they cashed the first check and then sent ME a letter saying they had the wrong account number so I sent the arrangement back in and ANOTHER voided check. I never heard another word from them and couldn't find out anything about why they didn't do the EFT. They also took her income tax, but they still say she owes the initial $500.00. So, WHERE is our money ???
Charles

United States

#19 Jan 30, 2008
The way it was explained to me, we have to do what the guy from california did and have one million dollars. then we have to get 100 thousand signatures of registered voters in the state. If we could raise the money by july and have the signitures, we could make it happen. I've visited with the NAACP to ask for support on the matter and it appears that im not making any progress. There for, this has to be done at the grass roots level. the more we talk here the better. in the mean time, go to the michigan dot gov website and click on legislature. pick out your representitave and your senator and e-mail them what you think about the law. then ask them to support house bill# 4006 and senate bill# 0638 These are bills that repeal the legislation. Then find the head of the transportation committe Hoon-Young Hopegood) and call or e-mail him. He is the reason that they havent done anything with this.

Now like i said earler, i have tried to do this on my own to no avail. NAACP don't look to be interested. Now im looking to the National Motorist Assosiation Ms. Canada Mole Grandholm is in support of this bill and selling all of michigan wilderness to forgin companys without paying taxes, but wants you to pay three times for making a mistake.
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
So hook me up! Where's the petition? What do I need to do?
Charles

United States

#20 Jan 30, 2008
john.
you are correct. we dont know who are enemies are. See john, we have gone to public school and were taught that the police is your friend and the government officials are our survants and you are the master. If you believe this, then your head is up the wrong end of your anatomy.
You see john, 90% of the incumbents are reelected EVERY ELECTION. Therefore, i conclude that we are not smart enough to vote the bad guy out. But we are smart enough to know when a direct injustice is being done. Get a petition started there in Geroga. Talk to the National Motorist Association.
johnnymac wrote:
I'm a transplanted Wolverine in the retarded state of georgia...things are tuff all over! It appears to me you could try to start the same thing I am doing down here and that is vote against all incumbents every time! If they won't give us term limits...lets take them and vote the new guy in everytime! Unfortunately this takes patience and brains which are real scarce and seems to be a common trend in this "dumbed down for easier control" country of ours...911 destroyed this place and it was an inside job ...DUH

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 27
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michigan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Michigan to vote on 7 percent sales tax for roads Thu lamar 1
Michigan divides up $75 million in federal fund... Thu reality is a crutch 1
Irish unlikely to reach top (Nov '06) Thu Sneaky Pete 19
has anyone gotten sick after eating at subway (Nov '08) Thu simm 65
American Feminism Trashed (Nov '06) Thu scs2011 2
State divides up $75 million in blight funding Dec 17 reality is a crutch 1
Michigan tightens rules for childhood vaccinations Dec 16 scs2011 2
More from around the web