Michigan won't recognize same-sex mar...

Michigan won't recognize same-sex marriages

There are 15 comments on the The Island Packet story from Mar 27, 2014, titled Michigan won't recognize same-sex marriages. In it, The Island Packet reports that:

Supporters hold up a banner during a pro-gay marriage rally held by the Unitarian Universalist Church of Flint on Wednesday, March 26, 2014, outside of the Genesee County Courthouse in Flint, Mich.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Island Packet.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#1 Mar 27, 2014
I think Michigan is wrong on not legally recognizing those marriages, and if challenged in court, will almost certainly lose on this also.

The marriages were legal when they were performed in Michigan, and just because some people "don't like them", doesn't mean that they can be legally ignored and ruled invalid on a whim
Amazing Grace

Alpharetta, GA

#2 Mar 27, 2014
Snyder should invalidate ALL marriages in Michigan until he gets over his hissy fit problem

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#3 Mar 27, 2014
The problem is that our hate-based DOMA amendment doesn't refer to whether or not a same-sex couple can *get* married. What it says is that only the union of one man and one woman will be RECOGNIZED as a marriage:

"To secure and preserve the benefits of marriage for our society and for future generations of children, the union of one man and one woman in marriage shall be the only agreement recognized as a marriage or similar union for any purpose."

So as long as the stay is in place, Michigan DOES has a problem--legally married couples with marriage licenses issued by the State of Michigan that because of that hate-base amendment being back into play, the State cannot recognize.

From how I look at it, the country clerks can issue marriage license as much as they want, but the state constitution once again says that they can't be recognized.
Larry

Richardson, TX

#4 Mar 27, 2014
We need another march...around the USA. It has happened in the past to correct the wrongs of miss guided folks. I have a dream. A dream one day that we can all get along and respect one another for the work we do as people. Marriage is just around the corner for ever man and woman. Gay or straight. If you do not approve, write it on a piece of paper and send it to God. I am sure he will answer you. Because it is up to God not the G>D> dumb asses on this planet. Yes. that means you. The one that lives in the GLASS houses.

“Come and get it! ”

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

#5 Mar 27, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
I think Michigan is wrong on not legally recognizing those marriages, and if challenged in court, will almost certainly lose on this also.
The marriages were legal when they were performed in Michigan, and just because some people "don't like them", doesn't mean that they can be legally ignored and ruled invalid on a whim
Thanks for starting a brand new thread on this subject. The Michigan forum already had nine other discussions in a row started on this, but I'm sure this tenth one will change everybody's mind.

“Take Topix Back From Trolls”

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#6 Mar 27, 2014
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for starting a brand new thread on this subject. The Michigan forum already had nine other discussions in a row started on this, but I'm sure this tenth one will change everybody's mind.
A computer program is responsible for starting threads not individuals. Stop trying to be brilliant, that won't get you anywhere.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#7 Mar 27, 2014
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
I did 't start it or post it here ! It's not my doing !

I merely commented on it (in a FAIR and BALANCED manner as ALWAYS.)

“Come and get it! ”

Traverse City

#8 Mar 27, 2014
TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>
A computer program is responsible for starting threads not individuals. Stop trying to be brilliant, that won't get you anywhere.
A computer program doesn't start threads on the forum, you putz. Individuals need to post something to start a discussion.

Why are you liberals so dumb??

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#9 Mar 27, 2014
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
A computer program doesn't start threads on the forum, you putz. Individuals need to post something to start a discussion.
Roboblogger probably did it.

I certainly did not start this thread.

“Take Topix Back From Trolls”

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#10 Mar 27, 2014
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
You're dumb enough not to know the difference between a post and a thread Jethro.

“Come and get it! ”

Traverse City

#11 Mar 27, 2014
TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>
You're dumb enough not to know the difference between a post and a thread Jethro.
LOL. You don't get it.
Internet Crime Monitor

Alpharetta, GA

#12 Mar 27, 2014
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
The originator of this chat room is 'roboblogger' which is the TOPIX mainframe
TOPIX created artificial intelligence algorithms that continuously monitor breaking news from over 74,000 sources, 24 hours a day.

These NewsRank® algorithms read every story as it is released and then categorize each one into one or more of the 450,000 news pages, including pages for all 42,000 US zip codes, 15,500 public company and industry verticals, 58,000 celebrities and musicians, and many, many more.
Reggie

Phoenix, AZ

#13 Mar 27, 2014
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not true. I hate to tell you but the queers are right on this one.
Reggie

Phoenix, AZ

#14 Mar 27, 2014
Internet Crime Monitor wrote:
<quoted text>
The originator of this chat room is 'roboblogger' which is the TOPIX mainframe
TOPIX created artificial intelligence algorithms that continuously monitor breaking news from over 74,000 sources, 24 hours a day.
These NewsRank® algorithms read every story as it is released and then categorize each one into one or more of the 450,000 news pages, including pages for all 42,000 US zip codes, 15,500 public company and industry verticals, 58,000 celebrities and musicians, and many, many more.
Don't you ever get tired of being an idiot? I mean come on dude, your stuff isn't even close to being a little bit funny.
Amazing Grace

Alpharetta, GA

#15 Mar 27, 2014
Reggie wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you ever get tired of being an idiot? I mean come on dude, your stuff isn't even close to being a little bit funny.
I found it; sugar
http://www.topix.com/topix/about

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michigan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... 4 hr Tm Cln 8,602
News DTE Energy DTE Energy announces plan to reduce ... May 18 Solarman 1
1985 picks one thru 3 will be annouced the othe... May 17 EARTHQUAKE 1
News Michigan's Snyder Signs Bill Raising Minimum Wage (May '14) May 15 swedenforever 23
News Teacher turnover, 'chronic' absenteeism prevale... May 13 Rick 1
News DeVos booed speaking at historically black univ... May 13 Bob 5
William ross,aka will ross, rape warrants May 12 Barb 1
More from around the web