Mich. Senate takes step toward allowing wolf hunts

Nov 29, 2012 Full story: Detroit News

The Michigan Senate has approved a bill that would designate the gray wolf as a game species, a possible step toward allowing hunters to kill them.

Read more
Norm Mackey

San Francisco, CA

#1 Nov 30, 2012
If the Legislature approves the bill, opponents may seek a statewide ballot initiative to overturn it," an opponent said.

To the house bill analysis not saying the hunt will even break even on all fees, the cost of an election and probably
other court action is added. So really State Senator Casperson is passing a Wolf Hunt Tax.

That's right, he is committing Michigan's taxpayers to subsidize the wolf hunt he wants. Everyone: call, email, fax, visit your Michigan state representative before the bill hits the floor next Tuesday! You know how to protest or praise taxes. Just tell your representative, in whatever way you think best:

"I don't want to pay / I want to pay Senator Casperson's Wolf Hunt Tax so he can have the hunt he wants!"

And pass the word along so everyone else does too!

“Come and get it! ”

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

#2 Dec 2, 2012
Norm Mackey wrote:
If the Legislature approves the bill, opponents may seek a statewide ballot initiative to overturn it," an opponent said.
To the house bill analysis not saying the hunt will even break even on all fees, the cost of an election and probably
other court action is added. So really State Senator Casperson is passing a Wolf Hunt Tax.
That's right, he is committing Michigan's taxpayers to subsidize the wolf hunt he wants. Everyone: call, email, fax, visit your Michigan state representative before the bill hits the floor next Tuesday! You know how to protest or praise taxes. Just tell your representative, in whatever way you think best:
"I don't want to pay / I want to pay Senator Casperson's Wolf Hunt Tax so he can have the hunt he wants!"
And pass the word along so everyone else does too!
Go back to California and hug a tree, hippy. We here in Michigan are gonna hunt wolves!
Norm Mackey

San Francisco, CA

#3 Dec 2, 2012
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Go back to California and hug a tree, hippy. We here in Michigan are gonna hunt wolves!
If you want to pay the tax, and make everyone else in the state pay the tax, why don't you just write your representative and say so?
You have a problem with that? You don't want to know that is your right as a Michigan citizen? What are you, some sort of commie?
Last time they surveyed the Upper Peninsula residents 81% of them were in favor of deciding about a wolf hunt with a vote. More than 4 out of five. But now you don't want a referendum?(dove season one, hunters lost over 2 to 1, 31%).

“Come and get it! ”

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

#4 Dec 2, 2012
Norm Mackey wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to pay the tax, and make everyone else in the state pay the tax, why don't you just write your representative and say so?
You have a problem with that? You don't want to know that is your right as a Michigan citizen? What are you, some sort of commie?
Last time they surveyed the Upper Peninsula residents 81% of them were in favor of deciding about a wolf hunt with a vote. More than 4 out of five. But now you don't want a referendum?(dove season one, hunters lost over 2 to 1, 31%).
Refer to my above statement...
Norm Mackey

San Francisco, CA

#5 Dec 2, 2012
We don’t usually kill dogs in the US for pleasure and have the state take a cut of the dogfighting profits because we “have to” to pay for managing t
he 70-80 million domesticated ones, or eat dogs or wear or display dog fur unless it is from a wolf. Black wolf coat? You're wearing dog color fur. The unique beta-defensin mutation at the K-locus which arose in dogs. And turned out so useful to wolves it spread throughout the subarctic North American wolf population, showing they are all part dog in those populations with any black wolves. Most dogs are very reluctant to hurt people or treat them as prey animals, and the same wolves were exposed to those genes. Would not usually hunting people be a useful trait they kept too?

Why hunt one of these big shy dogs to provide yourself with a pelt or a rug symbolizing the grief and loss suffered by the other members of the pack? This has to be the epitome of bad taste - I wouldn't confront the killer, but if he should complain about acts of alleged dogfighters or similar things I would not be able resist pointing out that they had done worse, were displaying the fact, and ask them how the family of wolves are currently doing without the "trophy" that once helped provide the others with food, protection, and companionship.

The USA has some 70-80 million domesticated wolves. The mere handful of wild wolves could very well be treated much as the other dogs are, even though the wolves have brains that are double-digit percentages larger and have a few instincts needed to live in the wild, which people removed to fill those roles themselves. At least with something near the same consideration, not a resource to be "harvested", with enough respect as the animal we chose to turn into the one we trust with our children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michigan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Tiny house' movement wins followers and detrac... Sun Dikate 1
Election Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Mar 27 MVanderwall 310
News Uber is 'out of control,' says Michigan senator... Mar 27 SueG 1
News 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where? Mar 25 MiYankee 2
News Gay couples in Michigan celebrate wedding anniv... Mar 24 WasteWater 11
News Damage at Michigan Ski Resort Leads to Charges ... Mar 24 CUFI Purim Party 1
News 48 Hours: Best things to do in Metro Detroit Mar 23 Meanie 4
More from around the web