Michigan Mulls Update to Gay Discrimi...

Michigan Mulls Update to Gay Discrimination Law

There are 11 comments on the ABC News story from May 29, 2014, titled Michigan Mulls Update to Gay Discrimination Law. In it, ABC News reports that:

Gov. Rick Snyder on Thursday urged legislators to consider updating Michigan's civil rights law to prohibit discrimination because of sexual orientation or gender identity, applauding companies and the state's two largest regional chambers of commerce for joining a business-backed push to amend the law.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ABC News.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#1 May 29, 2014
Apparently, Governor Snyder is trying to mitigate the damage done to his reputation by fighting marriage equality. When his opponent points out his bigotry, he'll respond that he supported equal rights legislation. Except he doesn't want gay couples to be treated equally under the law.

Apparently, he thinks he can get away with this because he's not as unpopular as Governor Corbett--although I cannot understand why not. He's made a real mess of a bad state economy. My guess is the state Chamber of Commerce told Snyder that they couldn't afford any more hits from his actions. So they forced him into this.
Tree Bark

Pittsfield, MA

#2 May 29, 2014
I am a legal blood donor.

Since: Feb 10

Woodstock, Illinois

#3 May 29, 2014
nhjeff wrote:
Apparently, Governor Snyder is trying to mitigate the damage done to his reputation by fighting marriage equality. When his opponent points out his bigotry, he'll respond that he supported equal rights legislation. Except he doesn't want gay couples to be treated equally under the law.
Apparently, he thinks he can get away with this because he's not as unpopular as Governor Corbett--although I cannot understand why not. He's made a real mess of a bad state economy. My guess is the state Chamber of Commerce told Snyder that they couldn't afford any more hits from his actions. So they forced him into this.
Whatever his reason, it is a step in the right direction. The marriage issue will get settled by SCOTUS in the near future, but getting Congress to act on discrimination may take a while yet. If this gets passed in Michigan, it is one more advancement of rights. I will take that as a positive step.
Hey Stupid

Pittsfield, MA

#4 May 29, 2014
Ron431 wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever his reason, it is a step in the right direction. The marriage issue will get settled by SCOTUS in the near future, but getting Congress to act on discrimination may take a while yet. If this gets passed in Michigan, it is one more advancement of rights. I will take that as a positive step.
Discrimination is all in your imagination. You're a wonderful example as to why Democrats should never be President. They can't run a lemonade stand, and their foreign policy record smells is dismal.
This President has no plan.
This President had no plan.
Holy Silicon Wafer

Philadelphia, PA

#5 May 29, 2014
Tree Bark wrote:
I am a legal blood donor.
I doubt that is true, but if it is that is another thing about the donor guidelines we will need to fix.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#6 May 30, 2014
Hey Stupid wrote:
<quoted text>
Discrimination is all in your imagination. You're a wonderful example as to why Democrats should never be President..........
You know that doesn't make a bit of sense, right?

Since: Feb 10

Woodstock, Illinois

#7 May 30, 2014
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
You know that doesn't make a bit of sense, right?
I don't mind a debate, but it is difficult to debate when one of the participants is unable to form a coherent thought.
Hey Stupid

Pittsfield, MA

#8 May 30, 2014
Ron431 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't mind a debate, but it is difficult to debate when one of the participants is unable to form a coherent thought.
In case you haven't noticed over time here, there is much hatred directed towards Catholics and Christians on the internet. Especially the white ones. And in case you haven't noticed something else, whenever or wherever I dig up a thread that points out where Muslims show prime examples of what some would consider discrimination and certainly hatred, in this case against ss relationships, the silence by the left is deafening towards Muslims. Oh, and by the way, how do Muslims feel about Christians and Catholics? Exactly. So, as you can see, I've pointed out to you some glaring examples of hypocrisy and discrimination by the Muslims AND the left. There's some coherent thought for you.
:o)
Hey Stupid

Pittsfield, MA

#9 May 30, 2014
And plenty of hatred directed towards Russia before and during the Olympics last year. Instead of the Olympics being about "Team", it was turned into a circus of self and media blitz after a false flag event in Russia.
How convenient was our foment efforts to turn Ukraine inside out at around the same time leading into early 2014, supporting neo Nazi Fascists. You're a bunch of morons as to not see what is going on here. Democracy and stupidity seem to go hand in hand. Where are all the left war protesters of not so long ago when Bushie was in office?
Bums.

Since: Feb 10

Woodstock, Illinois

#10 May 31, 2014
Hey Stupid wrote:
<quoted text>
In case you haven't noticed .......
:o)
If you could stay on a topic, it might be possible to have a conversation.

My post was about the fair treatment of gay people in America. Not once did I mention the Christians, Muslims, Catholics, Democrats, The President, Russia, Ukraine, the Olympics, etc, etc.

I am not sure where you are trying to go with this except that, perhaps you feel persecuted yourself, although, I am really not sure.

As to my original post, yes, there should be additional protections afforded to gay people so that we may not be fired, denied housing, public accommodations, and other basic rights simply because of our sexual orientation. All of the groups that you mentioned already have those legal protections across the country, but not gay people.
Hey Stupid

Pittsfield, MA

#11 May 31, 2014
Ron431 wrote:
<quoted text>I cannot formulate a coherent thought or reply so I will simply resort to insult and deflection.
I know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michigan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How many Hells Angels chapters in Michigan? (Oct '12) Sun quiet man 54
News Why Michigan Summers Blow Sunshine Up Californi... May 30 Go Blue Forever 1
News Michigan Supreme Court Rejects Two Ottawa Count... May 30 Go Blue Forever 1
News Jeb Bush in Michigan: "I intend to spend a lot ... May 29 Go Blue Forever 1
News Women's College World Series: Michigan trips Al... May 29 Go Blue Forever 1
News Michigan Transgender Residents Fighting for Rig... May 28 zyondra 7
Election Who's got your vote in the Michigan Senate race? (Oct '14) May 28 Patrick G 5
More from around the web