a Rape insurance billa sparks controv...

a Rape insurance billa sparks controversy over insurance plans funding abortions

There are 11 comments on the Central Michigan Life story from Mar 19, 2014, titled a Rape insurance billa sparks controversy over insurance plans funding abortions. In it, Central Michigan Life reports that:

The Abortion Insurance Opt-Out Act, labeled by Democrats and other opponents of the law as the "rape insurance bill," bars health insurance companies from covering most abortions in benefit plans unless customers buy separate.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Central Michigan Life.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

#1 Mar 19, 2014
If the necessity to purchase insurance against rape is a thing, that pretty much says it all, to me.

If that doesn't indicate that we live in a 'rape culture', nothing does.
Dan

United States

#2 Mar 19, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
If the necessity to purchase insurance against rape is a thing, that pretty much says it all, to me.
If that doesn't indicate that we live in a 'rape culture', nothing does.
Well, then, "nothing does", as it's not "rape insurance".

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#3 Mar 19, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, then, "nothing does", as it's not "rape insurance".
[Coverage for] abortions can only be provided by insurance companies without a rider if the woman’s life is in danger. All other abortions, even when the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest, are not covered.

Insurance companies had to tell the state in February if they would offer abortion riders for purchase. Seven companies did, but will only offer them as part of employer-based plans, meaning those who purchase individual-based insurance will not have abortions covered.
Dan

United States

#4 Mar 19, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>[Coverage for] abortions can only be provided by insurance companies without a rider if the woman’s life is in danger. All other abortions, even when the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest, are not covered.
Insurance companies had to tell the state in February if they would offer abortion riders for purchase. Seven companies did, but will only offer them as part of employer-based plans, meaning those who purchase individual-based insurance will not have abortions covered.
It's a policy rider that includes abortion coverage.

It's not "rape insurance". You don't get a claim payout if you're raped.
Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

#5 Mar 19, 2014
“I don’t believe it is appropriate to tell a woman who becomes pregnant due to a rape that she needed to select elective insurance coverage,” Snyder said.

Michigan, dear, be not proud.
Dan

United States

#6 Mar 19, 2014
Responsibility wrote:
“I don’t believe it is appropriate to tell a woman who becomes pregnant due to a rape that she needed to select elective insurance coverage,” Snyder said.
Michigan, dear, be not proud.
It's only appropirate to tell a woman that if she expects an abortion she gets to be paid for by insurance.

Women who are pregnant without being raped would get told the same, yes?

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#7 Mar 22, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
It's only appropirate to tell a woman that if she expects an abortion she gets to be paid for by insurance.
Women who are pregnant without being raped would get told the same, yes?
Gee Dan - you're all heart.

But of course, we can't compel insurance companies to offer coverage they don't care to offer, and we sure as HELL don't want to offend anyone by covering it with taxpayer dollars....

A great many of us taxpayers would LOVE to see Medicare take up the slack, and pay for contraception and birth control - but a vocal (and well-heeled) minority wouldn't, so of course THEY get the say-so.

It's always inappropriate to tell a woman what she should or shouldn't do with her own pregnancy. Just so you know.
Dan

United States

#8 Mar 22, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>Gee Dan - you're all heart.
But of course, we can't compel insurance companies to offer coverage they don't care to offer, and we sure as HELL don't want to offend anyone by covering it with taxpayer dollars....
A great many of us taxpayers would LOVE to see Medicare take up the slack, and pay for contraception and birth control - but a vocal (and well-heeled) minority wouldn't, so of course THEY get the say-so.
It's always inappropriate to tell a woman what she should or shouldn't do with her own pregnancy. Just so you know.
Insurance policies don't have "heart". They cover what they cover, and they cover what's in the policy.

That fact isn't "telling a woman what she should or shouldn't do". It's telling her "what she has to pay for out of pocket, and what she doesn't".

You go ahead and tell a woman that their abortion (for whatever circumstance) is covered by insurnace, and when it isn't, have the bill sent to you if it makes you feel better.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#9 Mar 22, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Insurance policies don't have "heart". They cover what they cover, and they cover what's in the policy.
That fact isn't "telling a woman what she should or shouldn't do". It's telling her "what she has to pay for out of pocket, and what she doesn't".
You go ahead and tell a woman that their abortion (for whatever circumstance) is covered by insurnace, and when it isn't, have the bill sent to you if it makes you feel better.
I'm being sent the bill for all sorts of things that DON'T 'make me feel better', Dan.

Like dirty little wars, and corporate bailouts, and farm subsidies to f_cking Monsanto.

I'd WAY rather pay for someone's abortion, than any of that.....but I don't get that say-so either.
Dan

United States

#10 Mar 22, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm being sent the bill for all sorts of things that DON'T 'make me feel better', Dan.
Like dirty little wars, and corporate bailouts, and farm subsidies to f_cking Monsanto.
I'd WAY rather pay for someone's abortion, than any of that.....but I don't get that say-so either.
Then pay for them.

Go down to your local provider and write a check.

My entry into the thread was prompted by the hyperbolic "rape insurance" thing.

Riders are very common with insurance polcies. If you want something covered outside of the standard policy coverages, buy a rider.

There. Done.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#11 Mar 22, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Then pay for them.
Go down to your local provider and write a check.
Sure.....just as soon as I get my refund for the support of all the crap I don't otherwise support.

I'll wait....and by the way, I paid for my own abortion. Out of pocket. In cash.

Next...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michigan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Michigan sued after gay couples are rejected fo... 4 hr bohart 32
News Al Capone's West Michigan ties: Fact or fun-fic... (Jan '06) Sep 17 Bambi 828
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... (Nov '16) Sep 2 Tm Cln 8,714
has anyone heard about a ethics investigation Aug 23 use the money in usa 1
michael anderson Aug 23 joe 1
so how are those michigan babes doing.. owowow.... Aug '17 username posted 1
News LGBT group asks Michigan commission for legal p... Aug '17 Peter 8
More from around the web