Michigan gay marriage case draws scrutiny, support

Sep 29, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Times Herald

A major legal challenge to Michigan's ban on gay marriage is attracting interest from conservative Christians, the Roman Catholic Church, law professors and civil libertarians as the state defends a 2004 constitutional amendment that defines marriage only as between a man and a woman.

Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Oct 1, 2013

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

Another interesting case to keep up on. I look forward to reading the transcripts.

“Come and get it! ”

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Put me down in the "scrutiny" column.

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Keep those expensive lawsuits coming!

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

I'm amazed that the attorney general's office has the balls to stick up for this obviously unconstitutional ban, especially after the SCOTUS' decision on DOMA.

Sure, the SCOTUS has said that the states get to define marriage, but it ALSO said that the Feds can't discriminate against gay couples. Does the attorney general's office believe that the State of Michigan can trump the SCOTUS?? It appears he does.

Or maybe, and truly pathetically, maybe they know full well that this type of religious-based discrimination is gasping it's last gasps and they're just hoping that legal CPR can keep it alive for a little while longer.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

This case is important because we need conflicting rulings from 2 or more appeals courts to ensure the SCOTUS takes up the marriage issue instead of punting once again.

The judge signaled he's likely to rule Michigan's ban is unconstitutional, but the 6th circuit would likely overturn that on appeal.

On the other hand, the 4th circuit (VA case) & the 9th circuit (NV, HI cases) are likely to uphold any such ruling.

That sets up conflicting rulings which makes it much more likely the SCOTUS accepts one or both or all of the 12+ pending federal cases.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
This case is important because we need conflicting rulings from 2 or more appeals courts to ensure the SCOTUS takes up the marriage issue instead of punting once again.
The judge signaled he's likely to rule Michigan's ban is unconstitutional, but the 6th circuit would likely overturn that on appeal.
On the other hand, the 4th circuit (VA case) & the 9th circuit (NV, HI cases) are likely to uphold any such ruling.
That sets up conflicting rulings which makes it much more likely the SCOTUS accepts one or both or all of the 12+ pending federal cases.
Any speculation on time-frame? Are we looking at a year or three or more like eight to ten?

Now that it's over, it seems like the Prop 8 case and the Federal DOMA case happened very quickly. I'm hoping these cases do, too, of course.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Any speculation on time-frame? Are we looking at a year or three or more like eight to ten?
Now that it's over, it seems like the Prop 8 case and the Federal DOMA case happened very quickly. I'm hoping these cases do, too, of course.
Most likely in the 3-5 year timeframe. The Michigan & Virginia cases (among others) are just at the district court level, but the 9th circuit could rule by the end of the year on their cases- HI & NV.

I'd expect the SCOTUS to simply refuse to take any appeal from the 9th circuit until another circuit makes an opposing ruling. So that could get us the rest of the west coast/pacific states by default while we wait.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••