Michigan lawmaker 'outraged' over zoo tax diversion

There are 2 comments on the Detroit Free Press story from Jan 25, 2013, titled Michigan lawmaker 'outraged' over zoo tax diversion. In it, Detroit Free Press reports that:

A state lawmaker from Oakland County said she plans to introduce legislation that would force all communities in southeast Michigan to render to the Detroit Zoo all taxes that's collected under its millage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Detroit Free Press.

confused

Detroit, MI

#1 Jan 25, 2013
This is exactly why citizens should not vote fer these millages for these institutions. This proves the way of collection and distribution of these funds is corrupt similar to many fiascos in Wayne county and other cities and counties in USA. These millages aren't intended for pay raises and other ridiculous perks. What is a breakdown of how these local tax dollars r spent? Folks don't vote fer these in future.if well to do citizens want to donate let them but don't require every Joe blow to fund it. I have never been to zoo or CIA or many others. Creative ways of funding r the key.and for a decade? Please!
Pete

Livonia, MI

#2 Jan 26, 2013
confused wrote:
This is exactly why citizens should not vote fer these millages for these institutions. This proves the way of collection and distribution of these funds is corrupt similar to many fiascos in Wayne county and other cities and counties in USA. These millages aren't intended for pay raises and other ridiculous perks. What is a breakdown of how these local tax dollars r spent? Folks don't vote fer these in future.if well to do citizens want to donate let them but don't require every Joe blow to fund it. I have never been to zoo or CIA or many others. Creative ways of funding r the key.and for a decade? Please!
The breakdown of how these moneys are spent is clear. They are spent on downtown development. That includes such things as sidewalks with pavers and seating benches, shrubs and railings, etc. But the money doesn't belong to these DDA's. Macomb and Oakland counties have refused to steal the money like Wayne.

PS. I have never been to the CIA either. I have been to the zoo and DIA.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michigan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Going Private?: Snyder, Republicans put new foc... (May '11) Fri hon2505 6
Unique Michigan Art Prints May 21 Trudy Clementine 1
gay dating in michigan May 20 Sneaky Pete 3
News Leland Vittert (Mar '10) May 16 FairandBalanced 9
News Flooding, large hail, a tornado, and a shipwreck May 15 Ted 1
Election Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) May 12 BlackHick dinks i... 312
News Battle, No. 14 in ESPN 60, commits to Michigan May 12 Go Blue Forever 1
More from around the web