Wal-Mart looks toward construction of Paw Paw store

Jul 2, 2007 Full story: www.zwire.com 11
Paw-Paw will never be the same again...

Construction of a proposed Wal-Mart store got a green light from the Paw Paw Village Council at Monday's meeting. via Courier Leader

Full Story
Need a Job Buy Imports

Paw Paw, MI

#1 Oct 4, 2007
Soon we will all be working at a fast food place or walmart.
I so can not wait to get my walmart uniform here in paw paw michigan.
Walmart Stinks

Syracuse, NY

#2 Jan 6, 2008
It stinks that Walmart is threatening to come to Paw Paw. Good bye small town feeling hello crappy town. One business (Shopping Center) has already closed now that Walmart claims to be coming. Wagoner's in Lawton has put off building a new store because of Walmart coming. This is only the begining of a lot of businesses closing and being hurt, many jobs will be lost, only replaced w/ minimum wage from Walmart. Don't worry, Walmart is thoughtful of the economy and there employees. They are known to give out all the paper work necessary to get state aid, since they know they don't pay enough for people to survive. All you supporters of Walmart keep up the good work and help ruin our economy and our country.
Erick

AOL

#3 Jan 30, 2008
Concerning the post, "Walmart Stinks" I have to first say if you live in Saugatuck, mind your own business. I actually live in Paw Paw and have for 25 years. Paw Paw caters to tourists with their wallets full of $$$ ready to throw it around and pay whatever it costs. You may be one of these tourists. The community on the other hand also has to pay these high prices, however we pay all year long. Or we can drive the 45 minutes to the nearest Wal-Mart to buy products that are reasonably priced. The stores in Paw Paw charge 20-30% more for the same products that Wal-Mart, Meijer and the like offer in Kalamazoo. With our poor economy people should not stand for being rapped like this and if a Wal-Mart comes to town, good for them and the community. As far as Shopping Center closing, I'm guessing the owner of 60 years is ready for retirment and he saw a nice fat retirment fund (not that he needed one) when Felpausch (soon to be Family Fare Foods)bought the store. Why would he sell even before Wal-Mart made it's appearance. That's a poor business move. As far as Wagoner's, that store could disappear and no one would miss it. They charge more for products than Felpausch and Shopping Center and they have absolutely no selection. Poor service also. If you aren't aware, let me shed some light, our government is selling off parts of our great USA to, yes, foreign countries so having a Wal-Mart in Paw Paw isn't really going to make any difference in that aspect. Come down from your high horse and take a sniff of reality. One last thing to bring things into perspective. Meat is like gold at Felpausch. A pound of hamburger for $6 from Felpausch or a pound of hamburger for $3.50 at Wal-Mart. Whatcha think, is Wal-Mart importing their meat from Thailand. Maybe.....NOT!! Don't be a mindless American, wise up! I hope you respond to this post because I could argue this subject forever.
Eric

AOL

#4 Jan 30, 2008
Oh, as for "Need a Job Buy Imports", you'll have to wait, unfortuately, to get your Walmart uniform, because the economy sucks in MI, however there are 8 fast food chains just waiting to size you up for one in Paw Paw. Oh yeah, those are for the tourists also. What, no small town diners, I've just lost that fuzzy feeling again.
Billy Anderson Belding MI

United States

#5 Jan 1, 2013
I wonder if WKZO 965fm/590am, will have a live remote, for the Grand Opening??. Look out Lori Moore and the Trifecta hahahah
2paws home owner

United States

#6 Jan 28, 2013
I gladly pay the extra to the small places here in Paw Paw just because that's what we like about Paw Paw. Small town, small businesses, if Paw Paw let's Wal-Mart/Meijers in Paw Paw. Our home of many years will go up for sell and we will move to another smaller town. We will gladly drive farther to work to live in a small town. What a shame!! Paw Paw is such a nice town.
Paula

Paw Paw, MI

#7 Apr 2, 2013
I totally agree with Erick! Why in the world would anyone want to pay up the ying yang for groceries, like you do at Family Fare and Wagoner's? They mark up their prices 3 times that of Walmart. Talk about gouging, my word you have to be rich or dumb to shop at those two stores. I have better things to spend my hard earned money on. As for you, "2paws home owner", you go ahead and move to a smaller town because Paw Paw won't miss ya. And you go ahead a be a fool and pay $4.00-$5.00 a gallon for gas to drive farther to work just to live in a small town. When time comes where you're struggling just to buy food, maybe then you'll start shopping at Walmart! I think by Walmart coming to Paw Paw is the best thing that could have happened to Paw Paw, it's not like they're going to be right downtown! They're going to be so conveniently located, that Paw Paw residents won't even know they're here. GO WALMART, and thank you Paw Paw village council for allowing Walmart to open a store in our community!
Concerned from Mattawan

Kalamazoo, MI

#8 Jun 17, 2013
Now that in June of 2013 it is a reality with the Store #4439 out for bid, here are some more comments.
If you want to buy cheap China manufactured items go to Walmart Yes the US items are a little less expensive as Walmart sets the prices these US suppliers can charge.(Walmart does not buy this fruit and meat at what the farmers wants to sell it at for a reasonable profit) We love Wagoners and Family Fare they have all you need and not at 20-30% more as Erick mentioned. Yes the charge slightly more 5-10% as they don't have the big-store buying power. Who cares the service is nice, you can get in and out in a couple of minutes with a smile. You don't have a massive parking lot with too narrow parking spaces. Smaller town is nice and does the economy better for the area than a big-box store.
As to buy-American that is hard to do when we here in America aren't willing to save and/or pay for the quality and for what it is worth. Hence more manufacturing businesses close here as it is cheaper to get products from China, Myanmar, Thailand, etc. that the US population is willing to only pay less for at Walmart.
Glacialhills 8-31-2013

Schoolcraft, MI

#9 Aug 31, 2013
Yippee!Land is starting to be cleared for the Walmart store!!! My letter writing campaign since big wheel closed has finally paid off. I have written dozens of letters to walmart and meijers telling them how we draw people from all the lakes and small towns in the area and to build in paw paw. How big wheel's store was #1 by a large margin throughout their chain and kept the entire chain afloat for years almost single handedly. We have not had a place to buy a decent pair of shoes or cloths, sporting goods since big wheel closed...And yes I got many pairs of shoes at Judds bootery growing up and many a fishing lures at sportsmans corner ...guess what??? they have been closed for decades and not one store opened to replace them. So shut up with the Oh woe is me walmart will kill paw paw...if the store is decent and sets itself apart with customer service or unique brands,even if a bit more expensive, they should have nothing to fear from walmart...if they suck, have the same cheap china crap as walmart, and charge twice as much with awful or no service either, then I say good riddance. PS I also just heard a rumor that Meijers just bought the land and trailer park across the street near tractor supply. Let the price wars begin. SMILE
Edward

Paw Paw, MI

#10 Jul 26, 2014
Thanks a fricken lot walmart, paw paw will never be the same, town is crowded with traffic, never used to be, thanks for ruining paw paw for my family, I hope something happen to your store and forces to close, your going to push all the nice small businesses out of town

“Come and get it! ”

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

#11 Jul 27, 2014
Edward wrote:
Thanks a fricken lot walmart, paw paw will never be the same, town is crowded with traffic, never used to be, thanks for ruining paw paw for my family, I hope something happen to your store and forces to close, your going to push all the nice small businesses out of town
Ha-ha-ha!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michigan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who are you voting for in the Michigan Governor... 21 hr Voting for Snyder 2
Michigan weighs whether to bar Tesla 22 hr reality is a crutch 1
Busch's Fresh Food Market bucks gloom (Nov '08) Sat Wolverine33 24
8 Mile Road is eight miles from where? Oct 17 Fred 1
How to Register for Toys for Tots (Dec '06) Oct 15 SARA D 591
Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Oct 15 mifirefly1 307
Flu Vaccinations? Oct 13 Sneaky Pete 2

Michigan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE