Gay-marriage advocates plan new Mich....

Gay-marriage advocates plan new Mich. campaign

There are 15 comments on the Daily World story from May 8, 2014, titled Gay-marriage advocates plan new Mich. campaign. In it, Daily World reports that:

Gay-rights advocates launched a public relations campaign Thursday across Michigan to make what they said was a fresh start at persuading Michiganders that the state ban on gay marriage should be overturned.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily World.

Homunculus

UK

#1 May 9, 2014
"If you called it a civil union instead of marriage but made all of the burdens and responsibilities and privileges the same, I would say that 95% of the members of the party would have no problem with it," said Jim Thienel of Waterford.

Which is interesting given the constitutional ban covers civil unions too. I highly doubt public opinion shifted that remarkably in 10 years. And especially not within the Republican party.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#2 May 12, 2014
Yep! Add to that that we TRIED to do civil unions and domestic partnerships BEFORE and they fought just as hard against those as they did full marriage equality.

So why should we give up full equality now??

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#3 May 12, 2014
Homunculus wrote:
"If you called it a civil union instead of marriage but made all of the burdens and responsibilities and privileges the same, I would say that 95% of the members of the party would have no problem with it," said Jim Thienel of Waterford.
Which is interesting given the constitutional ban covers civil unions too. I highly doubt public opinion shifted that remarkably in 10 years. And especially not within the Republican party.
Except that amongst a host of bad things about that idea, it also violates the First Amendment's Freedom Of Religion clause.

Several members of the denomination called The United Church Of Christ ( of which I have been a member since 1996, and I attend a UCC church 60 miles south of here), have filed one or more lawsuits to invalidate state laws and state constitutional amendments which prohibit same sex marriages, because they rightly say it violates their freedom to practice their Christian faith as they believe they should..

I hope their lawsuit is successful, and I believe it will be.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#4 May 12, 2014
eJohn wrote:
Yep! Add to that that we TRIED to do civil unions and domestic partnerships BEFORE and they fought just as hard against those as they did full marriage equality.
So why should we give up full equality now??
Not only did they fight us just as hard, but where states legalized so-called "civil unions", the courts ruled that they were NOT legally equal to marriage.

We DEMAND Equality.

We ask NOTHING more. We will accept NOTHING less.

“Come and get it! ”

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

#5 May 12, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
We DEMAND Equality. We will accept NOTHING less.
What about that guy that's trying to get the "equality" to marry his computer? I'm sure you're throwing your support his way as well.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#6 May 12, 2014
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
What about that guy that's trying to get the "equality" to marry his computer? I'm sure you're throwing your support his way as well.
Only if it can fill out the legal forms by itself and willingly give it's own consent. Can it do that ?:)

“Come and get it! ”

Traverse City

#7 May 12, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Only if it can fill out the legal forms by itself and willingly give it's own consent. Can it do that ?:)
Sure can. Computers do amazing things nowadays.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#8 May 12, 2014
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure can. Computers do amazing things nowadays.
Not without human input, they can't. And the judge already dismissed teh case.

So tell me, since gay marriage has been the law in so many states for so many years, how has this affected you ? Please give specific details.

Thank You.

“Come and get it! ”

Traverse City

#9 May 12, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not without human input.
So you're against someone marrying the object of their affection. Bigot!!

The "bigot card". Isn't that your fallback line for everything over there on the liberal sidelines? Figured I give it a whirl...

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#10 May 12, 2014
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're against someone marrying the object of their affection. Bigot!!
The "bigot card". Isn't that your fallback line for everything over there on the liberal sidelines? Figured I give it a whirl...
No. Because I'm not a liberal. I vehemently detest liberals. And if you have been paying attention here the past few years, you would know that.

“Come and get it! ”

Traverse City

#11 May 12, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Because I'm not a liberal. I vehemently detest liberals. And if you have been paying attention here the past few years, you would know that.
Libertarian?

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#12 May 12, 2014
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Libertarian?
Oh, Look!!! Here's Sneaky Pete on YET another Gay/Lesbian Forum thread!! AMAZING!!!

Oh, yes, of course. This one is about something happening in MICHIGAN, you're going to pretend that you weren't trolling the gay threads at all, you were just looking at the MICHIGAN stories and this one was there, right??

Sorta like you were just skimming the MICHIGAN stories and just happened upon the thread from Pinckney, MI on the marriage equality poll from three years ago and just had to comment on that one, right?? You were TOTALLY not following the marriage equality poll at all. You were just wondering what was going on in little ol' Pinckney, MI and figured you'd weigh in on the gay issues while you were there, right??

You're not a troll at all, are you?? You're just a victim of circumstances. How sad is that??

“Come and get it! ”

Traverse City

#13 May 12, 2014
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, Look!!! Here's Sneaky Pete on YET another Gay/Lesbian Forum thread!! AMAZING!!!
Oh, yes, of course. This one is about something happening in MICHIGAN, you're going to pretend that you weren't trolling the gay threads at all, you were just looking at the MICHIGAN stories and this one was there, right??
Sorta like you were just skimming the MICHIGAN stories and just happened upon the thread from Pinckney, MI on the marriage equality poll from three years ago and just had to comment on that one, right?? You were TOTALLY not following the marriage equality poll at all. You were just wondering what was going on in little ol' Pinckney, MI and figured you'd weigh in on the gay issues while you were there, right??
You're not a troll at all, are you?? You're just a victim of circumstances. How sad is that??
Trollin Trollin Trollin....

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#14 May 12, 2014
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Libertarian?
Yes.

And The Obamaniac and Democrats and liberals are Evil. PURE EVIL.

Since: May 14

Location hidden

#15 May 22, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that amongst a host of bad things about that idea, it also violates the First Amendment's Freedom Of Religion clause.
Several members of the denomination called The United Church Of Christ ( of which I have been a member since 1996, and I attend a UCC church 60 miles south of here), have filed one or more lawsuits to invalidate state laws and state constitutional amendments which prohibit same sex marriages, because they rightly say it violates their freedom to practice their Christian faith as they believe they should..
I hope their lawsuit is successful, and I believe it will be.
I think that would work if the law was based on religious freedom, then they could point out so called religious freedom was violating their religious views.

However, the freedom of religion only absolutely protects religious belief and not actions. Thus, a generally applicable law will trump in the event of a conflict with religion.

Where it might work is there are some states that ban churches from performing even wedding ceremonies which have no legality. That seems overly intrusive.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michigan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Al Capone's West Michigan ties: Fact or fun-fic... (Jan '06) Nov 16 rider 832
Election Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Nov 3 Purplehats 318
News Model train enthusiast builds city in miniature Oct 29 WATCHING LIVONIA 1
News Ex-Michigan assistant AG fired for stalking gay... Oct 27 rider 8
News What we still owe our Vietnam veterans Oct 27 rider 9
News Consumers energy raises gas rate (Dec '08) Oct 23 Noneofyourbusiness 70
How many Hells Angels chapters in Michigan? (Oct '12) Oct '17 GoFurmom 115
More from around the web