Michigan Voters Ban Affirmative Action

Race and gender can no longer be considered in college admissions, public hiring and contracting, under a hotly contested constitutional amendment that voters approved by a wide margin. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rue

Detroit, MI

#1 Nov 8, 2006
It is a shame in this day and age that whites have the gall to think someone else is preferred based on color. Huh, I have seen almost every kind of discrimination except homosexual, because I happen not to be. I have been over looked for jobs and many other things because of my color, my height, my looks, my skin tone, my hair and gender. The Lord said it best love your neighbor as you love yourself and then their wouldn't be a problem. Michigan just showed their true heart and every discrimination case filed against anyone in Michigan she be reopened.
scott

Mount Pleasant, MI

#2 Nov 8, 2006
why should race and gender be considered in college admissions?
----------
if college admissions are found to be biased against a particular gender, racial, or ethnic group, then AA should remedy that bias. i don't think anyone is opposed to this idea of AA, but that is not what AA has become, which is why 06-2 passed.
lativia

Mount Pleasant, MI

#3 Nov 15, 2006
all i want to say is that its ashame to know that people wanted affirmative action out because to "many minorities" was getting jobs over white people, but since these white people claim that racism is over then why am i at a university where the percentage of black people is 8-9%. is that fair, affrimative action helped get rid of that kind of nonsense. so before i end this i just got a quetion for all those who voted yes on proposal 2. since you say your not affected by affrimative action, why make it harder for someone who is?
Westland 1

Livonia, MI

#4 Nov 15, 2006
you should earn what you have, it should not be given to you if you not qualified or because you are of a certain color. It's about time. I hope the rest of the country follows suit.
Bonkers

Battle Creek, MI

#5 Nov 15, 2006
But its easier for some people to earn then others because of some social economic factors
hauntedheart

United States

#6 Nov 15, 2006
Rue wrote:
It is a shame in this day and age that whites have the gall to think someone else is preferred based on color. Huh, I have seen almost every kind of discrimination except homosexual, because I happen not to be. I have been over looked for jobs and many other things because of my color, my height, my looks, my skin tone, my hair and gender. The Lord said it best love your neighbor as you love yourself and then their wouldn't be a problem. Michigan just showed their true heart and every discrimination case filed against anyone in Michigan she be reopened.
I am from Three Rivers.. Yes i feel the same way.. You are right on..
hauntedheart

United States

#7 Nov 15, 2006
anyone on rright now?Three Rivers, Constantine?
CMB14KG

United States

#8 Nov 15, 2006
I am not from Michigan, but I must say history is DOOMED to repeat itself if what has happened there starts happening in other states. To eliminate affirmative action is a TRAGIC mistake.

LET'S FACE IT, this repeal of affirmative action happened because non-whites were getting jobs in the goverment sector that whites couldn't get and the people making those hiring decisions in those cases were non-whites who were "taking care of there own" as whites did before affirmative action.

It appears that the misapplication of affirmative action law is the real problem and Michigan lawmakers failed to address and solve those problems. EVERYONE KNOWS that there are still individuals in positions of power who will overtly block the hiring of minorities.

ONE THING YOU CAN COUNT ON and that is if companies are no longer mandated by law to consider hiring Afro Americans or other minorities, THEY WILL NOT. Especially privately held companies.

THE PEOPLE WHO VOTED FOR THIS know it and they can deny it all they want, they KNOW deep down it is true. As time passes after this becomes law public agencies, companies, and organizations in Michigan slowly but surely will shed there minority ranks down to lower levels. THE ULTIMATE etrition option.

Michigan should have addressed the misapplication of the law instead of eliminating it. Expect the validity of such a repeal to be challenged in Federal Court.
CMB14KG

United States

#9 Nov 15, 2006
scott wrote:
why should race and gender be considered in college admissions?
----------
if college admissions are found to be biased against a particular gender, racial, or ethnic group, then AA should remedy that bias. i don't think anyone is opposed to this idea of AA, but that is not what AA has become, which is why 06-2 passed.
You hit it right on the head...Dealing with instances where there is misapplication of the law would have been far more beneficial in both the short and the long term.
Jim

Clinton Township, MI

#10 Nov 16, 2006
Affirmative Action only applied to education and government employment. The law never did apply to privately held companies.
Dinah

Towson, MD

#11 Nov 17, 2006
Hallelujah! Now THAT's equity! As for the rest of you; would you whiners against it; would you like some cheese with that whine?
Dinah

Towson, MD

#12 Nov 17, 2006
Jim wrote:
Affirmative Action only applied to education and government employment. The law never did apply to privately held companies.
Actually, affirmative action and equal opportunity employment are at odds. When there is no affirmative action in employment either, THEN there will be equal opportunity employment.
CMB14KG

United States

#13 Nov 17, 2006
Dinah wrote:
Hallelujah! Now THAT's equity! As for the rest of you; would you whiners against it; would you like some cheese with that whine?
Arrogant! The way you will understand what the orginal law was about is to become a minority yourself. Believe me, in about 25 years the White race will be a minority. History is DOOMED to repeat itself.
CMB14KG

United States

#14 Nov 17, 2006
Dinah wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, affirmative action and equal opportunity employment are at odds. When there is no affirmative action in employment either, THEN there will be equal opportunity employment.
NO...The EOE guideline is the primary reason non-whites can get consideration for most employment opportunities. Quit pretending that Whites in positions of authority are fair and unbiased across the board. You and I BOTH know they are not.
Dinah

Towson, MD

#15 Nov 17, 2006
CMB14KG wrote:
<quoted text>
NO...The EOE guideline is the primary reason non-whites can get consideration for most employment opportunities. Quit pretending that Whites in positions of authority are fair and unbiased across the board. You and I BOTH know they are not.
I know no such thing. Where I live; it is different.
Matt

United States

#16 Nov 17, 2006
Im glad that its gone its just reverse racism, just because your black dosen't mean that you should get speical treatment, I'm sure there are still some discrimination, but there always will be, it's not just whites towards blacks it also works the other way. There are streets in detriot that I can't even walk down because I'm white. If you want to end racism it starts with you not in the government. I have been rejected for jobs and schools and I don't say it's because I'm white. I think that it's because you are just looking for an easy reason why, and race is something you can't control, so that way it's not your fault, take some responsibilty in your life and stop blaming stuff on your skin color, GROW UP!!!
Matt

United States

#17 Nov 17, 2006
lativia wrote:
all i want to say is that its ashame to know that people wanted affirmative action out because to "many minorities" was getting jobs over white people, but since these white people claim that racism is over then why am i at a university where the percentage of black people is 8-9%. is that fair, affrimative action helped get rid of that kind of nonsense. so before i end this i just got a quetion for all those who voted yes on proposal 2. since you say your not affected by affrimative action, why make it harder for someone who is?
Because I am effected I can't get into a college because a black guy with lower grades, and lower test scores is taken before me, how is it fair to give something like this to a less qualified student becasue he's black?
CMB14KG

United States

#18 Nov 17, 2006
Matt wrote:
Im glad that its gone its just reverse racism, just because your black dosen't mean that you should get speical treatment, I'm sure there are still some discrimination, but there always will be, it's not just whites towards blacks it also works the other way. There are streets in detriot that I can't even walk down because I'm white. If you want to end racism it starts with you not in the government. I have been rejected for jobs and schools and I don't say it's because I'm white. I think that it's because you are just looking for an easy reason why, and race is something you can't control, so that way it's not your fault, take some responsibilty in your life and stop blaming stuff on your skin color, GROW UP!!!
Blame? Who is assigning blame? This is ultimately about human nature. You DONT know me. YOU have no idea what YOU are talking about. YOUR experiences as you describe them have not even scratched the SURFACE in terms of OVERT discrimination. YOU are the one that needs to grow up.

The issue with college admissions is simply a misapplication of the law by the universities. Correcting how the law was being used and dealing with abuses was the answer. Eliminating the law was a MISTAKE.

As this nation's history has repeatedly shown, people tend to gravitate toward their own race/kind and this has shown up in how people are selected for admission to public universities and jobs in the public sector from the end of slavery till the moment the law was inacted. THAT IS WHY THE LAW WAS PUT INTO EFFECT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

AA is good law if applied CORRECTLY.
CMB14KG

United States

#19 Nov 17, 2006
Matt wrote:
Im glad that its gone its just reverse racism, just because your black dosen't mean that you should get speical treatment, I'm sure there are still some discrimination, but there always will be, it's not just whites towards blacks it also works the other way. There are streets in detriot that I can't even walk down because I'm white. If you want to end racism it starts with you not in the government. I have been rejected for jobs and schools and I don't say it's because I'm white. I think that it's because you are just looking for an easy reason why, and race is something you can't control, so that way it's not your fault, take some responsibilty in your life and stop blaming stuff on your skin color, GROW UP!!!
My life is running just fine thankyou very much...Blame? READ my post again.

YOUR experiences as you describe them do not even scratch the surface of OVERT acts of racism. YOU are the one that needs to grow up!!!!

This issue is NOT about my life or your life. This is ultimately about human nature. The AA law was put into place for a GOOD REASON.

Our nation's history has repeatedly shown WE as human beings tend to gravitate toward our own race/kind. This has been reflected in local, state, and federal hiring practices & admission policies to public universities from the end of slavery all the way to the civil rights amemdment was inacted our nation's constitution in 1964. THIS IS WHY THE LAW WAS ENACTED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

YOU or NOBODY ELSE can sit back and tell me that dealing the specific instances in which the AA law was being abused was NOT the answer to public concerns about the AA law.

Striking down this law was a MISTAKE and non-whites are the ones who are going to pay the price.

But then again, YOU could care less. All YOU see is somebody getting something that you don't think they deserve. The AA law is a GOOD law IF APPLIED CORRECTLY.

Colleen

Pittsburgh, PA

#20 Nov 19, 2006
If you were really educated on the subject you would know that minorities, which include women,still continue to be plagued with institutionalized discrimination. Meaning, whether anyone wants to admit it or not, it's built into the system. One example, predominantly white males make up paid fire depts across this country, when it comes to promotional exams, it's the white fathers who groom their sons for these exams. Minorities who came late in the game don't have access to that kind of mentoring. Don't believe it? Check statistics.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michigan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
duh legal kidnapping (Dec '13) 18 min Dragonsword 6
EstateSalesNews.com Reports Celebrities and 100... 20 hr Gerald Vonberger 1
Al Capone's West Michigan ties: Fact or fun-fic... (Jan '06) Wed mick 798
Who's got your vote in the Michigan Senate race? Tue Sandy 1
Who's got your vote in the Michigan Secretary o... Mon Topix Polls 0
Who's got your vote in the Michigan Attorney Ge... Mon Topix Polls 0
Lisa Henrryx and Dean Nowaczyk (Apr '14) Oct 20 Kimlov 3

Michigan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE