graceland ballroom lupton mi purple gang
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Patty p

Lansing, MI

#125 Apr 21, 2014
My great uncle played the piano at Graceland and his wife was a dancer. They got snowed in at Graceland with the purple gang. My hey said they were treateD like royalty

Gaylord, MI

#126 Aug 30, 2014
South Branch Ranch was located outside Grayling off of Chase Bridge Road. Near the south branch of the AuSable. It was a neat old place but is gone now. Forest Dunes golf course now sits on its grounds.

Sterling Heights, MI

#127 Aug 17, 2015
We have a family cabin on Sage Lake since 1973? Or around there, when I was a little girl my Dad took us (myself & 3 younger sisters) to Graceland several times and we were told stories about the Purple Gang!!

Prior to purchase of the cottage we stayed at Kenyons and my Godmothers cabin all down the road from Kenyons.(Maple a dead end gravel road!) I grew up summers & weekens there! Jimmy (Kenyons) had a gas pump I used to fill my 125 Suzuki at! and a penny candy store! We were in Kenyons ski show as "The Pee Wee ski club" with 12 skiers behind one boat!!

I was sad when that Big Purple Gang Bar (AS we called it!) burnt down, I remember pulling up with Dad after the fire! But in our minds the legend lived on The Notorious Purple Gang!! Who burnt it? Where is the Purple Gangs new hang out? lol On our way to town when we passed the burnt building our minds ran wild "The notorious Purple Gang!"

Cindy (Guzowski, Alquiza, Pataka)

Detroit, MI

#128 Apr 12, 2016
Ed Rychcik wrote:
I had a young lady come over to clean my house last week... She originally said she was from West Branch.... I mentioned Rose City and Lupton, and she said she was really from Lupton, but didn't think anyone knew where it was........
Her last name was a name I knew well.... I had an indian friend who lived in Lupton. We use to call him Indian John... I believe she was his grandaughter.- same last name.
That's my gramps John vincent
Jeff Brodie

Commerce Township, MI

#129 Jul 11, 2017
big brad wrote:
as to your information on where south branch ranch and pere cheney cemetary it is not accurate they are only about 7 miles apart <quoted text>
Dale and Sylvia Rosenquist lived on Rosenquist road off of Thayer road in Lupton. My grandfather and grandmother were good friends of them.
Ed Rychcik

Allen Park, MI

#130 Oct 8, 2017
Floyd Pastula, my uncle was the last owner of the Graceland Ballroom... I owned the Great Northern Amusement Co. and owned all the video games, juke boxes, pool tables, air hockey etc. games in the ballroom...

The place burned down in 1981 and I was there while some timbers were still burning...All of the games had steel coin collection boxes and I was able to retrieve at least $600 in welded together quarters... I still have the quarters along with 2 pre-world war ll steel coat trees..Each weighs 50lbs and I would be willing to sell them if there are any interested parties. I am very familiar with the time period starting when my uncle purchased the place in 1957.....

If any one has any questions, you can contact me at My mother Adele was Floyd's sister.....
Ed Rychcik

Allen Park, MI

#131 Oct 13, 2017
bjvincent wrote:
<quoted text>
That's my gramps John vincent
Indian John was a truly remarkable individual... A true Indian iwthout mean bone in his body.... Very gifted and once built me a porch out of the wood he collected in the forests....Everyone in the area knew John and was well liked by all...

I miss John - spent a lot of time with him.... He was friends with many people and one lady and her husband (name escapes me, but I think her first name was Maryann or Marion) who had a nice place on Rifle Lake and would allow John and I to use her boat to fish the lake...

I never met his wife, but his entire family should know what a fine man John was... Thanks for letting me know that he was your Grandpa...My Uncle Floyd - owner of the Graceland and John were best friends. And my Uncle Floyd was a First Class gentleman also.
Ed Rychcik

Allen Park, MI

#132 Oct 13, 2017

You might know this, but your Grandpa John was from Canada... Every so often he would return to his homeland to visit his native family... He came from a pretty large family and he brought one of his brothers down from Canada for a short spell... I did meet his brother who was on the slender side and quite different from John...
I remember John taking a bunch of guys from Wyandotte, Mi. up to Canada, many years ago to go Moose Hunting...I don't remember how successful they were but I know John showed them a good time....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michigan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... (Nov '16) 55 min Dada 9,428
News Al Capone's West Michigan ties: Fact or fun-fic... (Jan '06) Mar 13 mhh 840
Election Who are you voting for in the Michigan Governor... (Oct '14) Mar 9 david 30
News 'Murder for hire' trio's convictions upheld by ... Mar 2 kyman 1
News Billy Graham's body arrives at namesake library Feb 26 anonymous 2
How many Hells Angels chapters in Michigan? (Oct '12) Feb 18 Anonymous 116
News Mother whose 4 children were murdered by ex-hus... (Mar '17) Feb 16 Faith 5