54% of Maine Voters Approve Marriage Equality

Nov 7, 2012 Full story: EDGE 10

Marriage Equality activists and supporters in Maine rejoiced on early Wednesday morning when 54 percent of the state's voters approved same-sex marriage, the Portland Press Herald reports.

Full Story

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#1 Nov 7, 2012
from the article, "We made the case for traditional marriage and we’re terribly disappointed that we were not able to convince enough voters to hold on to the value of traditional marriage for society and we genuinely fear for the consequences we’ve raised during the campaign."
----------
OMG!! Fear!! Panic!! Run for your lives!!!!

We can't define the problem or what's going to go wrong or how anything bad will ever happen but RUN!!!! The end is near!!! Quick, everbody!! PANIC!!!!

What a bunch of idiots. They don't even know why they're against it. They're just against it. And that's all that matters.
Allen

Louisville, KY

#2 Nov 7, 2012
eJohn wrote:
from the article, "We made the case for traditional marriage and we’re terribly disappointed that we were not able to convince enough voters to hold on to the value of traditional marriage for society and we genuinely fear for the consequences we’ve raised during the campaign."
----------
OMG!! Fear!! Panic!! Run for your lives!!!!
We can't define the problem or what's going to go wrong or how anything bad will ever happen but RUN!!!! The end is near!!! Quick, everbody!! PANIC!!!!
What a bunch of idiots. They don't even know why they're against it. They're just against it. And that's all that matters.
Let the crybabies whine. We are gaining our civil rights, and there isn't a damn thing they can do about it.

“Adam and Steve”

Since: Aug 08

Earth

#3 Nov 7, 2012
My husband and I can now vacation in Maine again. Bravo, the people of Maine. We have really missed Billy's Chowder House and the antique shops and the rocky shore.

What really gets my goat are the talking points from the "traditional marriage" mouthpieces.

" ... we’re terribly disappointed that we were not able to convince enough voters to hold on to the value of traditional marriage for society and we genuinely fear for the consequences we’ve raised during the campaign."

Consequences? LMFAO. The hetero married community has enough to do to straighten out (pun) the disaster it has made of this "sacred institution." Mysteriously, marriage equality will confound this -- already present -- fiasco of 40% of all babies being born out of wedlock, and the 50%+/- divorce rate.

I think most Mainers (minus the RCC) will soon realize that the world will not end with marriage equality. No fire and brimstone. No locust infestations. Life will go on.
Allen

Louisville, KY

#4 Nov 7, 2012
Edio wrote:
My husband and I can now vacation in Maine again. Bravo, the people of Maine. We have really missed Billy's Chowder House and the antique shops and the rocky shore.
What really gets my goat are the talking points from the "traditional marriage" mouthpieces.
" ... we’re terribly disappointed that we were not able to convince enough voters to hold on to the value of traditional marriage for society and we genuinely fear for the consequences we’ve raised during the campaign."
Consequences? LMFAO. The hetero married community has enough to do to straighten out (pun) the disaster it has made of this "sacred institution." Mysteriously, marriage equality will confound this -- already present -- fiasco of 40% of all babies being born out of wedlock, and the 50%+/- divorce rate.
I think most Mainers (minus the RCC) will soon realize that the world will not end with marriage equality. No fire and brimstone. No locust infestations. Life will go on.
You're married? Lucky you! Wish I could get a husband. Yes, Maine is a beautiful state with great people. The so called "traditional marriage" people are bigots who simply can't stand the thought of equality for gays. They whined about gays being allowed in the military, they're whining about Maine, and they will continue to whine as we gain more civil rights....but I want them to. Watching them cry like babies is F-U-N. LOL!

“Adam and Steve”

Since: Aug 08

Earth

#5 Nov 7, 2012
Allen wrote:
<quoted text>You're married? Lucky you! Wish I could get a husband. Yes, Maine is a beautiful state with great people. The so called "traditional marriage" people are bigots who simply can't stand the thought of equality for gays. They whined about gays being allowed in the military, they're whining about Maine, and they will continue to whine as we gain more civil rights....but I want them to. Watching them cry like babies is F-U-N. LOL!
My feeling is that the anti-marriage equality people think of the institution of marriage, and/or the military, as a type of country club where "undesirables" will somehow mar the landscape. It wasn't long ago that this was literally true with respect to country clubs and race. And even certain towns advertised their homes-for-sale as "white only" or "WASP" only. Marriage equality issues are the same sort of mentality. It boils down to ego. We define ourselves not only by what we are, but what we are NOT. If gays are allowed to marry, somehow it confuses the line between "us" and "them."

Yes, Maine is beautiful. If you ever get a chance, visit Acadia National Park, or Baxter State Park. Then, eat some lobstah! ;-)

Bubba

Louisville, KY

#6 Nov 7, 2012
Edio wrote:
<quoted text>
My feeling is that the anti-marriage equality people think of the institution of marriage, and/or the military, as a type of country club where "undesirables" will somehow mar the landscape. It wasn't long ago that this was literally true with respect to country clubs and race. And even certain towns advertised their homes-for-sale as "white only" or "WASP" only. Marriage equality issues are the same sort of mentality. It boils down to ego. We define ourselves not only by what we are, but what we are NOT. If gays are allowed to marry, somehow it confuses the line between "us" and "them."
Yes, Maine is beautiful. If you ever get a chance, visit Acadia National Park, or Baxter State Park. Then, eat some lobstah! ;-)
I agree with everything you said. The road to equality will be a long one, but we'll get there. Have a good day.
Harry Butts

Dallas, TX

#7 Nov 7, 2012
I don't think queers should be allowed to have sex with children.

Since: Mar 07

United States

#8 Nov 7, 2012
Harry Butts wrote:
I don't think .
You don't really have anything else, do you?

Poor soul.
Harry Morgenstern

Oxford, ME

#9 Nov 25, 2012
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't really have anything else, do you?
Poor soul.
Not AIDs, anyway, like you. Poor soul.

Since: Mar 07

United States

#10 Nov 25, 2012
Harry Morgenstern wrote:
<quoted text>
Not AIDs, anyway, like you. Poor soul.
That's the best you can do?

Silly stuff.

Why not try a little harder? Reality would be a good start.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maine Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I'm a mixed-race, middle-aged woman. Is Maine m... Dec 15 harryjr 1
Police: Mainer raped woman after impersonating cop (Oct '08) Dec 14 Sneaky Pete 28
Bear-baiting ban helps drive Maine voters to polls Nov 24 Ace McMillan 1
Gay Marriage vs. Obama in Maine, and why Cutler... Oct '14 spectrumuser 1
Gay marriage fight returns (Apr '09) Aug '14 carlina 76
Remember Maine! The Whitest State, Where Americ... (Aug '13) Dec '13 tomin cali 58
Maine candidate for governor announces he's gay (Nov '13) Nov '13 WeTheSheeple 52
More from around the web