Hefty Tax For Bongs, Water Pipes Prop...

Hefty Tax For Bongs, Water Pipes Proposed

There are 65 comments on the WUSA Washington, DC story from Jan 30, 2008, titled Hefty Tax For Bongs, Water Pipes Proposed. In it, WUSA Washington, DC reports that:

Bongs and water pipes are billed as tobacco accessories -- but one Maryland lawmaker says everyone knows they're used to smoke illegal drugs and should be heavily taxed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WUSA Washington, DC.

Since: Oct 07

Ashburn, Va

#42 Jan 30, 2008
oddball wrote:
<quoted text>I had some friends that were'nt allowed to go in there as well,so there were times that they relied on us to get their "supplies". Pipes,rolling papes,the "Tokemaster" bong,whew! Just thinking about it all is making my head go into a fog!! I also remember kids taking the beakers that we used in science class,we "experimented" with the beakers as well. You know, a "science project",until we had a snitch that told the teach of what was going on. They replaced the beakers and kept them under lock and key! Some kids even made their own bongs!! Now,remember kiddies, as Nancy Reagan used to say,"Just say no!" HAHAHA
Yes, we had a smoking lounge at our high school and we smoked more than just cigarettes there. Nothing like the late 70s. The lunches at our school consisted of cheesburgers, pizza, cigarettes and pot. However, just like Bill Clinton none of us inhaled. lol Actually, I never smoked it again after I graduated. Well maybe once more, in the early 80s at a Rolling Stones concert...
oddball

Romney, WV

#43 Jan 31, 2008
Your old school sounds like mine as well,we had a lounge and I remember "inhaling",not just just ciggie smoke but something else! Visine was a popular item in school,"It gets the red out!!",as the old T.V. ad would say. The teachers and whoever else was in charge would'nt go out there because they were too busy being in their lounge as well!! We also did'nt have to worry about "lockdowns". The word "lockdown" was meant for prisons!! The good old days can always stay and live in our memories and hearts forever!

“Greetings from the Twin Cities”

Since: Apr 07

Bloomington, MN

#44 Jan 31, 2008
NateKnuckles wrote:
<quoted text>
The best sources were articles published about the autopsies on Rastafarian singer, Bob Marley.
There were studies and reports from his doctors in Jamaica and Miami. Check out the old articles in the Washington Post archives!
Yes, chronic use of Mary Jane can kill you with long term use! Nakedlobo is that smke coming out of your ears???
LMMFAO!
Well, I did a quick google search and found several articles about Bob Marley's death. Every one I read stated that he died of brain cancer. In fact, Yahoo says "Marley's death was the cause for much rumor and speculation. Some credited his survival for so long despite the widespread cancer to his marijuana use, while others have attributed his death to nefarious causes."
Jody B

United States

#45 Jan 31, 2008
NateKnuckles wrote:
<quoted text>
The best sources were articles published about the autopsies on Rastafarian singer, Bob Marley.
There were studies and reports from his doctors in Jamaica and Miami. Check out the old articles in the Washington Post archives!
Yes, chronic use of Mary Jane can kill you with long term use! Nakedlobo is that smke coming out of your ears???
LMMFAO!
Ok, so if you smoke pot daily for like 40 years, it can contribute to your death.... Just like tobacco, which is legal.

That's not what I meant in my original question.

Has anyone ever just sat down and smoked enough pot to kill themselves in 1 day.

I could reference hundreds of articals where people have drank themselves to death in one day, yet alcohol is legal.

NateKnuckles

“"Knuckle Busting Fun!"”

Since: Nov 07

"DC" Where Else?

#46 Jan 31, 2008
nakedlobo wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I did a quick google search and found several articles about Bob Marley's death. Every one I read stated that he died of brain cancer. In fact, Yahoo says "Marley's death was the cause for much rumor and speculation. Some credited his survival for so long despite the widespread cancer to his marijuana use, while others have attributed his death to nefarious causes."
At his death, they felt that the long term effect of smoking may have cause this.

Remember, cigaretes will cause Cancer after a number of years. Maybe you should try Websites like WebMd. They are doctors and researchers that contribute long term pot smoking to death!

It has been a long time since Marley's death. check the European medical websites as well!

Basiclly from what I had read years ago in the post; pot has the same affect as cigs!

Bloomington, MN

#47 Jan 31, 2008
NateKnuckles, I am not seeing your argument. You are saying that pot use kills. But you are limiting the consumption to smoking. There are plenty of ways to partake in THC. You can eat it, for example. You can also use a vaporizer which is significantly better for your lungs (and would probably eliminate the health issues you are leery of).
Now you state the "At his death, they felt that the long term effect of smoking may have caused this." Well, first of all, who is they? Secondly, what medical evidence do "they" have to back up the claim? Thirdly, how are the harmful effects of smoking different in pot that tobacco?
The argument that pot kills is not a valid one. Yes, there may be bad health effects based on HOW one uses it (e.g. smoking), but those health effects are not unique to marijuana.
Jody B, I doubt you will find an article that says someone has smoked themselves to death (except the side effects of smoking itself). I don't remember, nor can I find the reference, but there was something along the lines of... You are able to get XX number of ng/ml of THC out of your body every hour and that fact made it impossible to smoke enough in a limited amount of time to kill yourself. This is not a case where the pot overtakes the bloodstream as in alcohol. BAC is Blood Alcohol Content. You occasionally hear of someone with a .33 BAC. This means that 1/3 of the stuff running through their veins is alcohol, not blood. This is how someone can die from alcohol poisoning, too much alcohol in the blood stream.

NateKnuckles

“"Knuckle Busting Fun!"”

"DC" Where Else?

#48 Jan 31, 2008
nakedlobo wrote:
NateKnuckles, I am not seeing your argument. You are saying that pot use kills. But you are limiting the consumption to smoking. There are plenty of ways to partake in THC. You can eat it, for example. You can also use a vaporizer which is significantly better for your lungs (and would probably eliminate the health issues you are leery of).
Now you state the "At his death, they felt that the long term effect of smoking may have caused this." Well, first of all, who is they? Secondly, what medical evidence do "they" have to back up the claim? Thirdly, how are the harmful effects of smoking different in pot that tobacco?
The argument that pot kills is not a valid one. Yes, there may be bad health effects based on HOW one uses it (e.g. smoking), but those health effects are not unique to marijuana.
Jody B, I doubt you will find an article that says someone has smoked themselves to death (except the side effects of smoking itself). I don't remember, nor can I find the reference, but there was something along the lines of... You are able to get XX number of ng/ml of THC out of your body every hour and that fact made it impossible to smoke enough in a limited amount of time to kill yourself. This is not a case where the pot overtakes the bloodstream as in alcohol. BAC is Blood Alcohol Content. You occasionally hear of someone with a .33 BAC. This means that 1/3 of the stuff running through their veins is alcohol, not blood. This is how someone can die from alcohol poisoning, too much alcohol in the blood stream.
nakedlobo, I am not an expert on the subject, but I am just going by what I have heard, read and experience. You may have to dig deeper or the answers may be sitting in your face and you missed it.

When Marley passed, he visited several doctors in Jamaica and Miami, places where his family and children resided.

His doctors felt that Marijuana was one of the chief drugs of the Rasta religion, contributed to the damage of his brain which resulted in his death.

It has been a long time since his death and you will have to do some digging on it.

Like I said, you may have to check the medical experts who write and research on the subject.

I work with youth and gangs and a few years back a notorious gang leader in Fairmont Heights passed because of drug use; Marijuana was one of the drugs that fried his brain. According to doctors! The guy started at nine years old and died at 21.

Overuse of anything can cause some damage to your body!

Like I said, I am not an expert I am just telling you what I have read and experienced. But do a little more research. Some medical researchers feel that Mary Jane in long term used can cause the death of individuals.

But I do know that MJ has some good use too in medicine. So don't blame me for not knowing all the answers. I am not a physician.

I don't drink or use drugs, but everyone that I try to turn their lives around do!
LoL

Gate City, VA

#49 Jan 31, 2008
Here is a good article that goes over everything. http://www.norml.org/index.cfm...

NateKnuckles

“"Knuckle Busting Fun!"”

"DC" Where Else?

#50 Feb 1, 2008
LoL wrote:
Here is a good article that goes over everything. http://www.norml.org/index.cfm...
nakedlobo,

Here is your answer, LOL did the research and wacky weed is bad for you this s--t can kill you, so stop trying to find reasons to use it!
MacDoc

Woodbridge, VA

#51 Feb 1, 2008
Legalize Pot and Tax it, and lower our dam Taxes in Maryland.
All you Dems know to do is Tax and Spend. Md. is one of the most TAXED states in the US.
LoL

Gate City, VA

#52 Feb 1, 2008
NateKnuckles wrote:
<quoted text>
nakedlobo,
Here is your answer, LOL did the research and wacky weed is bad for you this s--t can kill you, so stop trying to find reasons to use it!
Fast food kills people to so stop trying to find reasons to eat it. Your statement is pointless noone is "trying to find reasons to use it" they already have a reason they like it they smoke it thats all they need. If you want to lecture everyone on how smoking marijuana is bad give some real evidence for it. Smoking tobacco is the leading cause of preventable deaths in the US if you want something to lecture about do it on tobacco.
DAn

Upper Marlboro, MD

#53 Feb 19, 2008
the idea that taxing bongs will prevent drug use is ridiculous because there are so many of other ways to smoke, it just wont work the way the lawmakers want it to work... unless they really just want the money, and in that case this tax will be a huge success for the government.

thank you government.

NateKnuckles

“"Knuckle Busting Fun!"”

"DC" Where Else?

#54 Feb 19, 2008
LoL wrote:
<quoted text>
Fast food kills people to so stop trying to find reasons to eat it. Your statement is pointless noone is "trying to find reasons to use it" they already have a reason they like it they smoke it thats all they need. If you want to lecture everyone on how smoking marijuana is bad give some real evidence for it. Smoking tobacco is the leading cause of preventable deaths in the US if you want something to lecture about do it on tobacco.
Ok, I will do it now!

Tobacco, Marijuana, crack and the like will kill you stupid, dead brained, f--ked up azz.

Just slower than putting a glock to your head!

Dumb azzes!

Well, that was a fine lecture, if I say so Smokey!

Bloomington, MN

#55 Feb 20, 2008
NateKnuckles, if you are going to go off on a tirade about what will kill you, you are pretty limited in your views. Microwaved foods will kill you (does anyone else remember this scare?), walking across the street will kill you, obesity will kill you. Are any of these illegal? The government doesn't make stuff illegal because it is good for the general public. The reason that marijuana is still illegal is because the Big Pharm companies who add millions to the coffers of the politicians don't want something taking the place of their money makers... pain killers and psychoactive drugs. Psychoactive... hrm? Isn't that how marijuana is classified? If the general public was able to grow their own pain relief or a safe, natural alternative to antidepressants, then the Big Pharm companies would be out tons of money.
Let's take a look at the logic of taxing bongs and water pipes when there are plenty of states that offer needle exchange programs... are there taxes on the needles? Are the needles illegal? The Federal Governement has lost it's ever-loving mind!

NateKnuckles

“"Knuckle Busting Fun!"”

"DC" Where Else?

#56 Feb 20, 2008
nakedlobo wrote:
NateKnuckles, if you are going to go off on a tirade about what will kill you, you are pretty limited in your views. Microwaved foods will kill you (does anyone else remember this scare?), walking across the street will kill you, obesity will kill you. Are any of these illegal? The government doesn't make stuff illegal because it is good for the general public. The reason that marijuana is still illegal is because the Big Pharm companies who add millions to the coffers of the politicians don't want something taking the place of their money makers... pain killers and psychoactive drugs. Psychoactive... hrm? Isn't that how marijuana is classified? If the general public was able to grow their own pain relief or a safe, natural alternative to antidepressants, then the Big Pharm companies would be out tons of money.
Let's take a look at the logic of taxing bongs and water pipes when there are plenty of states that offer needle exchange programs... are there taxes on the needles? Are the needles illegal? The Federal Governement has lost it's ever-loving mind!
To each his own...my body is my temple. I don't poison it!

I am in my 50's, I jog, sprint, spar (wrestle, boxing, ju jitsu), eat good foods and make love to my wife regularly!

I rather grow old gracefully, instead of looking like Keith Richards!

LMAO!

Bloomington, MN

#57 Feb 21, 2008
Very good NateKnuckles. To each his own is a great response. That is the philosophy that our Government was founded on... and sadly this is the thought that his now disappeared. It is no longer "live and let live." The Government has thrown this ideal out the window. They now tell you how to live and what to do.
If you choose to not drink alcohol, that is great. That doesn't mean that alcohol should be illegal for everyone!
Think about this Nate; you seem to be a very logical person. What if the federal government came out with a law today that said sparring is now illegal as is all forms of fight training. Now you no longer have the right to wrestle (except with your wife of course - but that may be regulated pretty soon too if we don't change the path we are on), box or train in ju jitsu. This law was put in place because there has been a rash of children imitating the moves and hurting each other and there has been a rash of serious injuries due to the professional fights. How would this make you feel? What right does the goverment have to dictate morality or values? Now, I don't train or spar, so this law would not impact me. But I would fight such a law due to the fact that the Federal Government is overstepping their authority. If they are willing to do this to keep pot illegal (when there are case studies after case studies that prove the benefits - and a large medical assocaiation - about 130K + members - recently sent notice to the Government that they support testing of marijuana to determine the medicinal benefits it offers), then where will they stop? Just as the slippery slope argument can be applied to pot smoke (it leads to pot smokers becoming heroin addicts), it can more appropriately be applied to the limitations of the government.
You know, Nate, I think you are correct... I don't want to look like Keith Richards either. You know I am not going to drink or shoot heroin. But you know, what if his looks are due to him making love to women every night? Would you stop that to save your looks? LMAO

NateKnuckles

“"Knuckle Busting Fun!"”

"DC" Where Else?

#58 Feb 21, 2008
nakedlobo wrote:
Very good NateKnuckles. To each his own is a great response. That is the philosophy that our Government was founded on... and sadly this is the thought that his now disappeared. It is no longer "live and let live." The Government has thrown this ideal out the window. They now tell you how to live and what to do.
If you choose to not drink alcohol, that is great. That doesn't mean that alcohol should be illegal for everyone!
Think about this Nate; you seem to be a very logical person. What if the federal government came out with a law today that said sparring is now illegal as is all forms of fight training. Now you no longer have the right to wrestle (except with your wife of course - but that may be regulated pretty soon too if we don't change the path we are on), box or train in ju jitsu. This law was put in place because there has been a rash of children imitating the moves and hurting each other and there has been a rash of serious injuries due to the professional fights. How would this make you feel? What right does the goverment have to dictate morality or values? Now, I don't train or spar, so this law would not impact me. But I would fight such a law due to the fact that the Federal Government is overstepping their authority. If they are willing to do this to keep pot illegal (when there are case studies after case studies that prove the benefits - and a large medical assocaiation - about 130K + members - recently sent notice to the Government that they support testing of marijuana to determine the medicinal benefits it offers), then where will they stop? Just as the slippery slope argument can be applied to pot smoke (it leads to pot smokers becoming heroin addicts), it can more appropriately be applied to the limitations of the government.
You know, Nate, I think you are correct... I don't want to look like Keith Richards either. You know I am not going to drink or shoot heroin. But you know, what if his looks are due to him making love to women every night? Would you stop that to save your looks? LMAO
Like my father said, "A good piece of pussy makes you live a day longer!" LOL!

But seriously though!

Drugs have fueled the ills of modern society. Weed, crack and the like has hurt my "hood" in the past, but now that has changed because the area which I live (Congress Heights) is slowly bringing in a new middle class.

You will find very few deaths in "making love" and sparring. Over the years, government has step in and regulated boxing and mixed martial arts to make the sports better.

England began to clean up boxing with the Marquis of Queensbury Rules.

Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) was on its way to being ban by the US government until Dana White and his associates bought the Ultimate Fighting Championships (UFC) and they negotiated to bring safety to the sport with members of Congress.

Recreational drug users are not doing anything to make drug use better. Drugs do nothing, but poison a body. There are a few medicinal uses for recreational drugs, but drug use has no great value other than the sell of it and the "high".

Fighting sports and arts builds a person up and gives them self confidence and discipline.

Drug use does the total opposite. It also contributes the growth of crime and murders!

The fighting arts don't!

NateKnuckles

“"Knuckle Busting Fun!"”

"DC" Where Else?

#59 Feb 21, 2008
nakedlobo wrote:
The best drug you should take is a hot cup of Ginseng Tea!!!

LMMFAO!

“Geeze here they come again!”

Since: Feb 08

MD

#60 Mar 5, 2008
did you know wrote:
Back in the 70's they had a store on St. Barnabus Road called Float n Smoke. You could buy all kinds of drug related paraphernalia there!!
I remember my dad going there hahaha. Now thats funny. I used to live in forrestville as a child. have since moved south and love it.
Mystic Crow

AOL

#61 Mar 11, 2008
Marijuana, or Cannabis Sativa, is an herb. This is not a well known fact and one that government propaganda rarely boasts. As with any herb Marijuana has herbal characteristics that both identify it as and differentiate it from other herbs.

As a small, leafy, flowering plant Marijuana fits the description of an herb as defined by Dictionary.com , "a flowering plant whose stem above ground does not become woody.". It is common knowledge that the stem of a Marijuana plant is very fibrous and in the past has been valued for this strong tensile quality.

Few would argue that Marijuana does not provide a distinct odor that is easily distinguished from any other plants. Due to this distinct aroma and flavor Marijuana has long been used as a culinary ingredient. Cooking with Marijuana and Marijuana recipes are common both in history and modern times. The quantities of the herb used can vary from chef to chef and those who use more of the herb may find psychoactive effects from eating the herb.

Certainly you've heard of Medical Marijuana. The medicinal value of herbs, including Marijuana have, been documented throughout history. According to, Raphael Mechoulam and co-workers at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, the origin of the term cannabis can be traced as such: Greek cannabis < Arabic kunnab < Syriac qunnappa < Hebrew pannag (= bhanga in Sanscrit and bang in Persian)." The authors think it is probable that pannag, mentioned in the Bible by the prophet Ezekiel (5, 22), is in fact Cannabis, or Marijuana. The medicinal uses range from pain relief to exorcism and everything in between.

Wikipedia describes Cannabis or Marijuana as "an annual, dioecious, flowering herb". As an herb, Marijuana should be explored for its full human potential. The concept of spending billions of tax payer dollars on a world wide war on a flowering herb seems rather ridiculous. In fact, the absolute worst thing about the herb, Marijuana, is that it is illegal.

The prohibition of this herb has driven the price per ounce to over $480 for high quality Marijuana. This illegal product is not manufactured, rather grown from a seed in closets and backyards all around the world. It is the prohibition that creates this inflated price and the profit motive of criminals. This concept was clear to us during alcohol prohibition but still escapes the leaders today.

The fact remains Marijuana is an herb. However, no substance in human history has ever been the subject of such persecution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maryland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Maryland Move to Ban 'Ex-Gay' Therapy Reveals F... Apr 9 Gremlin 4
News Gay politician had the best response when he wa... Mar 31 Christsharia sLaw 1
News Supreme Court hears Marlyand gerrymandering case Mar 29 mr gleeble 1
News Supreme Court takes up 2nd major partisan redis... Mar 27 Retribution 13
News Another key redistricting case goes in front of... Mar 27 mr gleeble 1
News Officer's response in Maryland school shooting ... Mar 21 WTH 5
News MS-13 Dreamers Charged in Brutal Baseball Bat B... Feb '18 tomin cali 3