Hopes high for Md. smoking ban

There are 20 comments on the Feb 9, 2006, Worcester County Messenger story titled Hopes high for Md. smoking ban. In it, Worcester County Messenger reports that:

For the third straight year lawmakers in the Maryland General Assembly have introduced legislation to ban smoking in bars and restaurants and establishment owners -- and legislators -- say chances of it ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Worcester County Messenger.

Jim

Hyattsville, MD

#22 Feb 19, 2006
Well...I'm a smoker. Along with other smokers I'm sure I'll just have to start drinking at home or something when this crap starts. So you non-smokers go ahead and get in your exhaust spewing SUV, meet up with the other 4 people that actually show up, drink yourself under the table (which I'm sure is healthy in it's own right), get back in your car and get in a drunk driving accident...it's way more a problem than smoking indoors anyways and good luck to the person you T-bone in the intersection, they probably weren't even at the bar.

There's nothing keeping the non-smokers from staying at home and drinking though now is there?
Polly

AOL

#23 Feb 19, 2006
Gary wrote:
Ok, for the guy nagging on pet owners..........do you have down syndrome or something? I myself, am severly allergic to dogs, cats, and birds. Now, I get the same symptoms as your wife does, but this is a problem that can not be fixed because people like us are such a small percentage of the population.

Comparing pet dander to smoking is like comparing a normal person such as myself, to you, with down syndrome.
Actually most people with Down Syndrome are very lovable people. This comparison is not fair to people with Down Syndrome.
Polly

AOL

#24 Feb 19, 2006
Jim wrote:
Well...I'm a smoker. Along with other smokers I'm sure I'll just have to start drinking at home or something when this crap starts. So you non-smokers go ahead and get in your exhaust spewing SUV, meet up with the other 4 people that actually show up, drink yourself under the table (which I'm sure is healthy in it's own right), get back in your car and get in a drunk driving accident...it's way more a problem than smoking indoors anyways and good luck to the person you T-bone in the intersection, they probably weren't even at the bar.

There's nothing keeping the non-smokers from staying at home and drinking though now is there?
I'd like to see them ban drinking in bars too!
Bill Hannegan

New Church, VA

#25 Feb 19, 2006
Before antismokers take away any more freedoms, they ought to read the arguments of the people they are hurting:
http://www.nycclash.com/CaseAgainstBans/Intro...
JBC

Baltimore, MD

#26 Feb 19, 2006
Banning smoking in public spaces would also help smokers. It would reduce the amount of cigarettes smoked and encourage smokers to stop smoking. It is in the interest of the people as a whole in that it is promoting the health of the entire state.
Snow Hill Local

Annapolis, MD

#27 Feb 19, 2006
What the smokers seem to miss is that their smoke stinks and I don't want to smell it.

A restaurant is in the business of selling food. A bar is in the business of selling alcohol. Neither is in the business of selling tobacco products, so why do smokers feel it is their right to smoke there? When I go out, I go to enjoy the food or the entainment. Smelling someone's smoke does not add to that experience any more than someone working in a chicken house just prior (and without showering) to going to these places. There is certainly no evidence that breathing second hand chicken house smell has ever caused anyone any harm, but I doubt that anyone else would really want that person in the restaurant or bar.

Well, I don't want smell your smoke either.
Bill Hannegan

New Church, VA

#28 Feb 19, 2006
But I like the company of indoor smokers at the bar and don't want to send them outdoors. Can't we have both smoking and smoke-free places? Isn't America a big enough place for both?
Julia

Laurel, MD

#29 Feb 20, 2006
Haha, apparently some of these pro-smoking people are in denial about second hand smoke causing cancer, and even cigarettes causing cancer in the person smoking them! No one would allow someone spreading asbestos around in a bar, so why should any other carcinogen be allowed? Just because it's a part of our 'culture' and you're addicted to it, doesn't mean you should be allowed to subject innocent people to it! And even if you don't care about cancer...isn't it enough that we have to smell smoke on your clothes and hair? We don't need to smell it coming out of your mouth.
Bill Hannegan

New Church, VA

#30 Feb 20, 2006
Oh come on Julia! Can't you put up with guys hanging around the local pool hall or corner bar smoking cigars? Where is the denial in all that? No one wants to breathe asbestos! But people do take the risk of smoking or being around smoke for the sake of pleasure, fun and comradery. You don't need to send the police after us to stop us in our bad choices. You're not that much of a Puritan, are you?
Patrick

Riva, MD

#31 Feb 20, 2006
In a restaurant,while eating I aggree that the owner of that restaurant should set the rules. The govt does not want for people to stop smoking, there is way to much money in taxes from it. Our country was part founded on tobacco. There are some many special intrest groups in this country, it's funny.I should have a choice to go to a restaurant that allows or does not allow smoking.Keep the gov't out of our personal affairs.
(I am a non-smoker.)
Bill

Shreveport, LA

#32 Feb 20, 2006
Gary wrote:
"Ok, for the guy nagging on pet owners..........do you have down syndrome or something? I myself, am severly allergic to dogs, cats, and birds. Now, I get the same symptoms as your wife does, but this is a problem that can not be fixed because people like us are such a small percentage of the population.

Comparing pet dander to smoking is like comparing a normal person such as myself, to you, with down syndrome."

Ok Gary you bumbling idiot. No wonder it can't be fixed. There's too many idiots out there that are just not sensitive enough to other people's needs. You are not the least of those and you deserve every ashtma attack you get and then some. I was hoping to gain some attention to help people like you and my wife and their unique problems, but I can see all that some like you want to do is insult people, even the ones trying to help you. What a waste of my time to try to do anything for a holes like you! Yes Polly, people with Down Syndrome are much more loving than idiots like Gary and if I had Down Symdrome I'd be forgiving him right now, but I don't so to hell with him.
Gary

Washington, DC

#33 Feb 20, 2006
Whats your solution to fix the problem eh? Getting rid of cats and dogs? Making it a law for people boil their clothes before they leave the house?

Tell of a way to fix this problem, and I will retract my down syndrome remark. But if you can't it seems you are the idiot, and there is no point in making an arguement to fix something, that can't be.
hmmmmmm

Manchester, MD

#34 Feb 21, 2006
i wonder if all of you out there that are so concerned about smokers "health" are as equally concerned about all the obese people's health? Chances are that you probably stop at a fast food place as often as a smoker stops to pick up a pack of cigarettes, are you bitching about all the fat people too? From what i have been reading lately, obesity is fastly becomeing the most expensive health care crisis. Maybe all you people would like to arrest anyone fat if they are caught at burger king or somethin. Hey maybe you can fine the owner of the burger king if he lets a fat person buy some fries! Yes, you mprobably don't want to share space at a restaurant with fat people either do you? Hey maybe they can have a special restaurant for fat people! Would that satisfy you? Where does it end people? Live and let live ya know
signed,
a non-smoke
Holier than thou

Cockeysville, MD

#35 Feb 21, 2006
I don't think people should drink. I think alcohol destroys more lives, kills more people, and causes more damage than smoking ever could. I guess alcohol shouldn't be allowed in public places either, right? After all, drunks start fights, they're unruly and rude, and the worst of all is, THEY KILL FAMILES WHEN THEY CRASH THEIR CARS!!!

2nd hand smoke "may" cause some damage. Maybe. There is no CREDIBLE proof of that anywhere at this time. But let's for the sake of argument say 2nd hand smoke does damage people who work in bars. GET ANOTHER JOB! Get it!?!?! Nobody is forcing you to wait tables and serve drinks, so leave!

I'm sure painters are exposed to safety hazards with all the chemicals they inhale, but they don't cry about it because they choose to paint for a living. You whiners are so pathetic it's almost funny. The barworker has more to fear from the drunks they've spent the entire night serving alcohol to than they do from 2nd hand smoke.....

What all the "do-gooder" anti-smoking fools fail to understand is they will come for you too. They will come for your alcohol. They will come for your greasy burger and fries. They will come for the violent movies you watch.

They will come for everything "they" find offensive and when they do, I'll be the first in line cheering them on as they take whatever "unapproved" thing you do in life.
Herman from Nebraska

United States

#36 Feb 21, 2006
Ol Bill down there by MEMPHIS. I guess you're better off being pissed off than pissed on by that old dog that's been humping your leg, you sorry sack of dung. By the way, where the hell's those chances on that tractor your promised me? Don't forget to double your prozac tonight so you don't go out and attack some poor asthmatic or, heaven forbid, your own wife. Sic 'em, Gary!!
Snow Hill Local

Annapolis, MD

#37 Feb 21, 2006
Holier than though and Hmmm both seem to miss the point.

A restaurant is a place for serving food.
A bar is a place for serving alcohol. You can tell that is the case because of all the bottles of alcohol usually displayed behind the bartender.

Neither of those places generally sell tobacco products. In both of those places it is generally frowned upon to bring your own food or alcohol. When I go to those places, I go to enjoy what the establishment is offering. If I drink, I don't drive. If I don't want to be around people drinking, I don't go to a bar. Pretty simple.

If smoking is so great for business, why aren't smoke taverns opening up? A place where you would go to buy and smoke all sorts of tobacco products (and not bring your own)?

I don't care about the smoker's health. I'm not trying to save them. They can do whatever they want in their private homes or establishments. Restaurants and bars are public places. Being subjected to someone smoking when I am not going into an establishment for smoking, does bother me. Just the same as dealing with people drinking. At a bar, I would expect to find people drinking too much and tolerate that accordingly, but at a supermarket or movies I'd be highly annoyed. And just because public drinking is also usually prohibited at supermarkets and movie theaters does not make me "fear' that "they'll be coming for me next". Get over it and grow up.

So again, tell my why I should be subject to your smoking at public places that are not specifically in place to cater and sell to smokers?
Polly

AOL

#38 Feb 21, 2006
Bill Hannegan wrote:
Oh come on Julia! Can't you put up with guys hanging around the local pool hall or corner bar smoking cigars? Where is the denial in all that? No one wants to breathe asbestos! But people do take the risk of smoking or being around smoke for the sake of pleasure, fun and comradery. You don't need to send the police after us to stop us in our bad choices. You're not that much of a Puritan, are you?
Odd there'd be such a staunch support of tobacco just a few miles away from the Phillip Morris headquarters in Richmond Virginia. Odder still is all this information he has contradicting studies about the effects of second hand smoke. Who's your daddy, Billy?
Bill Hannegan

New Church, VA

#39 Feb 21, 2006
Polly, I donít know how they placed me in Virginia, but I didnít type that. I am from St. Louis and started the group KEEP ST. LOUIS FREE! that beat the smoking here last summer. Do people think I work for Big Tobacco? No, I am just a guy who likes to be free to have a smoke in the bar with his friends. Give me a call (314) 367-3779 and I am sure you will be quickly convinced I am not from Virginia. Usually I am a live and let live guy, but these antismokers with their universal restrictions really piss me off. When I started to do research to fight the St. Louis ban, I happened across Audrey Silkís website www.nycclash.com and was shocked how flimsy the case for smoking bans really is. I just want people to be warned about this before any more bans go into place.
DS-Lakewood

Denver, CO

#40 Feb 21, 2006
Bill and Bill - thanks for your support. The problem is you are trying to fight fanaticism with fact.
Bill Hannegan

New Church, VA

#41 Feb 21, 2006
DS-Lakewood, what is the best way to fight this? Since the tobacco companies have abandoned their customers with the MSA, ragtag groups of citizens, many of them nonsmokers who just love freedom and fear government excess, have been left to fight these bans with their own time and money. I have used up a bunch of both this year working against St. Louis bans. But the antismokers are often paid health advocates, with endless tobacco and pharmaceutical money to spend, and always ready to push for further restrictions.
What can we do?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maryland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fact check: O'Malley lays claim to an ambitious... Apr 20 Brian 1
News Maryland legislature revamps public information... Apr 20 Marian 1
News Cold Case: Lyon Sisters Disappearance (Feb '08) Apr 19 kmls 94
News Authorities take kids without adult into custod... Apr 14 Sneaky Pete 2
News Uber bill passes Maryland Senate, heads to House Apr 13 joe glazer 2
News Oyster poaching continues on bay despite enforc... Apr 5 Will 1
News Busch: Governor Has To Set Priorities Apr 5 eml1227 1
More from around the web