Maryland Catholic Conference Rejects ...

Maryland Catholic Conference Rejects Question 6 Wording

There are 18 comments on the lezgetreal.com story from Aug 25, 2012, titled Maryland Catholic Conference Rejects Question 6 Wording. In it, lezgetreal.com reports that:

Let us not be surprised by this, but the Maryland Catholic Conference is objecting to the official language for Question 6. That would be the question about retaining same-sex marriage in the state.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at lezgetreal.com.

Rizla

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Aug 25, 2012
"Churches" more concerned with advancing the political agenda of the homosexuals/liberals than with the spiritual welfare of humanity are hemorrhaging congregants.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#3 Aug 25, 2012
A question for the catholic church (but other religions are free to answer too): In the 8 plus years since same-sex civil marriage has been legal in Massachusetts (17 May 2004), how many same-sex marriages has the state compelled your church to perform and sanctify?

Cue Jeopardy Theme song ...

Zero! That's none, nada, zilch.

Don't believe me? Then how many marriages of divorced couples (male-female couples) does the state, any state, make the Catholic Church perform each year? Again none.

No church is required to perform any civil marriage. Ever. So any argument any 'church' makes to maintain a ban on same-sex CIVIL MARRIAGE is without merit.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#4 Aug 25, 2012
Larry wrote:
No Christian can ever support what God condemns:
Leviticus 18:22 - You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.
Leviticus 20:13 - If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their blood guiltiness is upon them.
Romans 1:26-27 - For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
I Corinthians 6:9 (NIV)- Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
I Timothy 1:8-11 (NASB)- "But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted."
Then it's a good thing none of those verses are part of my religious texts.

Sei

Since: Nov 08

Boston, MA

#5 Aug 25, 2012
DaveinMass wrote:
<quoted text>
Then it's a good thing none of those verses are part of my religious texts.
Any true Christian is not suppose to follow any of those verses. They are suppose to follow only the Gospels and only the words of Jesus Christ.

None of these schmucks are Christians.
hi hi

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Aug 25, 2012
They hate it because it doesn't meet the requirements of THEIR AGENDA: that gays be silenced and made invisible. It's the OPPOSITE of their agenda, and so they *will* complain and fight it by every means they can find. They must be ignored and if the state will not cooperate with ignoring them, they must be fought by every legal means *you* can find. End of issue. You fight and fight and fight them for as many weeks, months or years as it takes.
hi hi

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Aug 25, 2012
Rizla wrote:
"Churches" more concerned with advancing the political agenda of the homosexuals/liberals than with the spiritual welfare of humanity are hemorrhaging congregants.
But like the article says (on different grounds and in a different context), no one can ever, ever, ever explain *FACTUALLY* what is "so bad" or is going to happen.

No one. There's NEVER, NEVER, NEVER an explanation except for this mumbled, unfocused, panicky crying and snot-sucking that "the gays are bad" (no *FACTUAL* reason is given, and definitively and conclusively *NONE* which would ever stand up in a court of law), and that "we're all going to hell if they are recognized" (so once and for goddamn all, refuse to recognize them and *STOP* talking about it; your problem lies absolutely and without question in your attempts to get *EVERYONE* to go along with what you think should be happening).
Rizla

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Aug 25, 2012
DaveinMass wrote:
A question for the catholic church (but other religions are free to answer too): In the 8 plus years since same-sex civil marriage has been legal in Massachusetts (17 May 2004), how many same-sex marriages has the state compelled your church to perform and sanctify?
Cue Jeopardy Theme song ...
Zero! That's none, nada, zilch.
Don't believe me? Then how many marriages of divorced couples (male-female couples) does the state, any state, make the Catholic Church perform each year? Again none.
No church is required to perform any civil marriage. Ever. So any argument any 'church' makes to maintain a ban on same-sex CIVIL MARRIAGE is without merit.
Churches choose to engage in retail politics so they should suffer or enjoy the results of doing so.
If churches want to go bare-knuckle politics, then they better be able to roll with the punches.
hi hi

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Aug 25, 2012
The "church" is so laughably failing in these objectives because it actually, incredibly, stunningly believes it must get *EVERYONE* to cooperate or we're all doomed. You're never,

never,

never,

never,

never, between now and eternity, going to get "everyone" to cooperate with these objectives, and you KNOW this and still you whine like snot-nosed brats all the time. You *can't* get everyone to cooperate because people believe things *ideologically opposed* to what you claim to be "truth," yet still you whine. Unbelievable, because anyone from the age of six upwards can *tell you* you'll never get total cooperation on this matter. Never. You *can't*; life does not work that way, and never will.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#10 Aug 25, 2012
Larry wrote:
No Christian can ever support what God condemns:
Leviticus 18:22 - You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.
Leviticus 20:13 - If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their blood guiltiness is upon them.
Romans 1:26-27 - For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
I Corinthians 6:9 (NIV)- Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
I Timothy 1:8-11 (NASB)- "But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted."
And no Christian can ever call themselves a Christian if they refuse to follow Our Lord's very Words:"They shall know that you are My Followers by the Love that you show for one another."
Larry

Manito, IL

#11 Aug 25, 2012
STEPHMAR wrote:
<quoted text>And no Christian can ever call themselves a Christian if they refuse to follow Our Lord's very Words:"They shall know that you are My Followers by the Love that you show for one another."
And you REALLY think love is letting people go to hell without a word of warning???
Dogma Doctor

Alpharetta, GA

#12 Aug 25, 2012
Larry wrote:
<quoted text>And you REALLY think love is letting people go to hell without a word of warning???
Other people's business is none of your business

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#13 Aug 25, 2012
Larry wrote:
<quoted text>And you REALLY think love is letting people go to hell without a word of warning???
Fine, consider the gays warned, now leave them alone to be who they want to be with.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#14 Aug 25, 2012
Larry wrote:
And you REALLY think love is letting people go to hell without a word of warning???
We LOVE you too David, but you're going to HELL, the Bible says so.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#15 Aug 25, 2012
Historically, the RCC has attempted to reserve to itself the authority to define ... well ... EVERYTHING.

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#16 Aug 25, 2012
Maryland Catholic Conference wrote:
According to the actual legislation, religious organizations that accept any sort of state or federal funds are excluded from religious liberty protections. They are not exempt, and there are no protections for individuals.
This position begs the question.

What the fcuk are religious organizations or individuals doing taking tax money, and then having the gall to insist that they be able to discriminate against citizens when doing so?

Keep your grubby superstitious paws off public funds, keep your religious business in-house, and you can discriminate to your heart's content.

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#17 Aug 25, 2012
Larry wrote:
"A word"?

Like a single word?

Look David, we got your "warning". Like a bazillion posts ago.

Still, there is no empirical evidence for the existence of gods, monsters, angels, devils, saints, heaven or hell.

Your word of "warning" doesn't change that at all.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#18 Aug 25, 2012
Jerald wrote:
<quoted text>
This position begs the question.
What the fcuk are religious organizations or individuals doing taking tax money, and then having the gall to insist that they be able to discriminate against citizens when doing so?
Keep your grubby superstitious paws off public funds, keep your religious business in-house, and you can discriminate to your heart's content.
Here here!

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#19 Aug 25, 2012
Larry wrote:
Larry,discrimination against LGBT is based upon prejudice,bigotry,narrow-minde dness,hatred;and, none of these qualify a person as a Christian,including those in the Clergy.True love,regardless of gender,certainly will not qualify a person to go to hell.If it does,then,I can guarantee you that they will be there WAITING FOR THE REST OF US.Keep in mind what Our Lord said on His Sermon on the Mount:"Blessed are the peacemakers;for THEY shall be called the CHILDREN OF GOD."REALLY, Larry,can you tell me how many Christians you know that would qualify?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maryland Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Assault has Maryland high school at center of i... Fri CodeTalker 1
News Maryland high school thrust into immigration de... Mar 23 tomin cali 1
News Networks Censor Alleged Rape by Illegal Immigra... Mar 23 tomin cali 1
News Bill curbing suspensions, expulsions of younges... Mar 23 Sweetheart4 3
News Illegal Immigration Advocates Trying to Make Ma... Mar 21 kyman 5
News Busch, teachers union vow to fight privatizatio... Feb '17 DR X 12
News Opioid users filling Maryland hospital beds and... Jan '17 noobieR 1
More from around the web