Fairhaven Residents Tortured By Wind ...

Fairhaven Residents Tortured By Wind Turbines Treated Like Inmates

Posted in the Massachusetts Forum

Jack Kelly

Jamestown, RI

#1 May 23, 2013
Fairhaven Massachusetts

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...

Letter: Fairhaven turbines need to be shut down
May 23, 2013 12:00 AM
Fairhaven turbines
need to be shut down

As a Fairhaven resident, I can truthfully say this is the first time that I agree with former Fairhaven selectmen Chairman Brian K. Bowcock. Mr. Bowcock was asked what he would do if the two Fairhaven wind turbines were not in compliance with the Massachusetts state 10-decibel limit on noise levels. He stated (Advocate, March 14), "I will shut them down. That would be immediate. That's not a debatable issue." This is a compelling statement coming from a former selectman who was instrumental in bringing the turbines to town.

Well, at the May 21 Fairhaven Board Of Health Meeting, DEP Deputy Commissioner Martin Suuberg stated that the turbines were in fact in violation of noise levels.(Violation dates were 11/9, 3/20, 4/2 and 4/12). All three developers were in attendance Sumul Shah, Gordon Deane and James Sweeney and in my opinion looking very worried, as well as they should be.

The town voted to accept these turbines after these developers assured us there would be no ill effects. This obviously is not the case, especially after hearing the many heartfelt testimonials from the residents negatively affected. Emotions ran high as residents spoke of how their children were negatively affected. Now there is legitimate testing evidence to validate what has been going on. The turbines are too noisy.

Gordon Dean stated he would agree to work with the town and DEP to "see what might be done in a cost-effective manner." So this has nothing to do with being "green" and caring about the folks in Fairhaven. It is what we knew all along about the developers. These turbines were going to make them a lot of money at the expense of our residents.

Ironically, on one of developer Gordon Dean's slides during his presentation, he states, "The turbine does not have a built-in noise reduction mode." Exactly. And that is why there is no other remedy. The turbines need to be shut down. Dr. Bowcock, you got that right.

Joyce Pottel

Fairhaven
Jack Kelly

Jamestown, RI

#2 May 27, 2013

Massachusetts has a renewable energy goal of 2000 Megawatts of renewable energy by the year 2020. The method is commercial wind power. The state issued wind turbine model by-laws to assist towns in
establishing reasonable standards.

The cities and towns wind turbines have become a catastrophic fiasco. The turbines noise and shadow flicker causes sleeplessness, nuisances, headaches along with property devaluations. Fairhaven, Falmouth, Kingston, and Scituate have their communities fractured over the placement of the 400 foot structures.

Environmentalist insist the turbines cut back of fossil fuel illnesses but at what cost? The residential home owners who abut the turbines are having their health, quality of life and property taken away from them in the trade off.

Massachusetts is facing a major crisis to reach the mandated renewable energy goal. Many communities have slowed or stopped projects . Massachusetts has failed a comprehensive energy plan of action that includes the health and welfare of our citizens.

The communities want the turbines shut down. The resolution looks like the best plan is the Falmouth plan 7-7-24. The turbines are shut down from 7 PM until 7 AM every day all week. At least people can get some sleep.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Massachusetts Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
If there is no God, no heaven or hell...then pl... (Nov '09) 12 hr Shawn 318
News Clinton-era welfare rule gets little notice in ... May 20 Three Days 1
Andrea Nuciforo tried to jail me (Jonathan Mell... (May '09) May 20 Pittsfield politics 19
News High-power prismatic devices may further expand... May 18 Reaper seven 1
Real Father Son Incest (Aug '15) May 18 Jack 13
top lowell cops of all time (Oct '09) May 16 We Remember You 232
Trackers MC Boston? (Apr '13) May 16 Sand and Gravel 33
More from around the web