Legalize Louisiana rallies for marijuana reform tomorrow

May 11, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Best of New Orleans

Grassroots marijuana reform campaign Legalize Louisiana has organized a series of statewide rallies tomorrow, from New Orleans to Shreveport.

Comments
1 - 20 of 167 Comments Last updated Jul 30, 2013
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
smith1

Spring, TX

#1 May 12, 2012
nuts nuts.
no dope

Shreveport, LA

#2 May 13, 2012
Hell no, leave it illegal.
smith1

Spring, TX

#3 May 14, 2012
no dope wrote:
Hell no, leave it illegal.
Medical mj is a joke. a bad joke on the parents and sibling that have to put up with the stoned out of their mind kids, etc. I personally have seen much of it and what happens. I know a few of my kids friends that are dead. Fify dead now on the US / Mexico border. the idoits in our government are giving the cartels thousands of guns and they are killing people going and coming , some are out dea agents and fbi.
Rick Simpson

Central Point, OR

#4 May 14, 2012
Hey, why don't you guys stumble upon the abundance of patient testimony, supporting scientific study, and historical-religious traditions indicating its critical importance as a medicine, and then you'll be qualified to post a comment on the internet.

“Bye bye, Topix. ”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#5 May 14, 2012
Rick Simpson wrote:
Hey, why don't you guys stumble upon the abundance of patient testimony, supporting scientific study, and historical-religious traditions indicating its critical importance as a medicine, and then you'll be qualified to post a comment on the internet.
Or as the informed pothead, you can sit down and in great detail, explain the "tax and regulate" plan you guys seem to think you can put in place. I've never had one single stoner make a solid argument in favor of legalizing weed under the guise of an economic stimulus, seeing as how any of you can just grow the crap in your basement or back yard. I would suspect growing it would be one of the many "regulated" features of your plan and those who do not have permits would be breaking the law.

...But that's just me, someone who has both feet firmly planted in the world of science and medicine where we scoff at your lame attempts at "evidence" supporting its use. I'm qualified, but I don't give two shits about that side of your argument. I want to see if you stoners actually have a plan or if you stopped at a nifty slogan and spaced out on your couch.
rick simpson

Central Point, OR

#6 May 15, 2012
waveform wrote:
<quoted text>
Or as the informed pothead, you can sit down and in great detail, explain the "tax and regulate" plan you guys seem to think you can put in place. I've never had one single stoner make a solid argument in favor of legalizing weed under the guise of an economic stimulus, seeing as how any of you can just grow the crap in your basement or back yard. I would suspect growing it would be one of the many "regulated" features of your plan and those who do not have permits would be breaking the law.
...But that's just me, someone who has both feet firmly planted in the world of science and medicine where we scoff at your lame attempts at "evidence" supporting its use. I'm qualified, but I don't give two shits about that side of your argument. I want to see if you stoners actually have a n
0plan or if you stopped at a nifty slogan and spaced out on your couch.
I am not going to google everything for u...maybe u r qualified to be lazier than a stoner...but medicinal cannabis will be free, and save lives. Industrial hemp is where the money is. Google thai cannabis corp, for one example. Thai gov. Plans to ban oil imports and replace w hemp fuel.
rick simpson

Central Point, OR

#7 May 15, 2012
rick simpson wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not going to google everything for u...maybe u r qualified to be lazier than a stoner...but medicinal cannabis will be free, and save lives. Industrial hemp is where the money is. Google thai cannabis corp, for one example. Thai gov. Plans to ban oil imports and replace w hemp fuel.
also it can be taxed commercially exactly like alcohol...no magic math needed. Cannabistaxact.org

“Bye bye, Topix. ”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#8 May 15, 2012
You did not answer my question, nor did you explain how you plan on regulating a substance that people can just grow themselves. The link you posted both cites allowing adults to grow it, as well as stores to sell it. To me, that is a market that favors growing it yourself, leaving me to wonder how any real tax revenues could be generated. It'll all still operate under the table.

It can be taxed commercially which has been one of my major criticisms of your proposal. It'd be cheaper for you if we kept it illegal. Corporate interference plus a tax means marijuana will probably cost you more, not less.

Accusing me of not googling this does not negate my criticism that you are not a well informed supporter of legalization. If you are informed and comfortable with this subject, then you should have no reason to live up to the task I have asked you to perform.

As for wiping out crime, recent news out of the Netherlands reveals that no more will tourists be allowed to partake because it has led to problems with organized crime. I'm just throwing that little tidbit out there for you to ponder. Decriminalizing possession does not equate to a reduction of crime. That's a shell game maneuver if I ever saw one.

“Bye bye, Topix. ”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#9 May 15, 2012
Questions raised related to regulation:

Will people who grow it themselves be required to attain permits or will this be open to any and every adult fond of horticulture?(I would think that companies selling marijuana would lobby Congress to outlaw freelance production.)

At what age will people legally be able to buy and use the drug?

What behaviors will remain illegal? Alcohol brought with it a whole host of problems and now we have laws related to operating vehicles while intoxicated and laws related to public intoxication. Knowing this, use will be limited to places like bars they have abroad, but also in your own home. As we have seen with alcohol, the line between public and private domain is easily crossed, leading to safety concerns.

Will possession while driving remain illegal or will it be more like open container laws? What about intent to distribute? What amounts to a reasonable stash for personal use and who becomes a dealer? This points back to my comment regarding permits for production and distribution.

Suddenly, it doesn't sound very simple and local governments will still enforce many of the laws we already recognize. Decriminalizing is not cut and dry. Certain behaviors will remain criminal offenses.
Rick Simpson

Central Point, OR

#10 May 15, 2012
The answers to all of your questions as to how to end prohibition of this harmless plant, that there be no limits on the amount of tomatoes or cannabis any one adult may produce for his/her personal use, deatils of regulated commercial sales of these products, banning sales to/posession for minors (unless the parent's say its ok especially religious use, or if they need it medically) the harmlessness of driving with .05 ng/ml phytocannabinoid biproduct compound in your blood, the amandine in your blood already, where you can/cannot smoke, that it should be eaten, usually, all can be found on google. for a successful model of decrim. look at portugal. what about the messianic anointing oil of the hebraic/christian traditions, the recipe of which calls for cannabis, which christians are called to use to bring the healing of the nations, what about THAT?
Rick Simpson

Central Point, OR

#11 May 15, 2012
I guess if 'certain behaviors will remain criminal offenses' forever, then we should give up trying to perfect our laws, and settle for deadly, insanely wasteful and moronic behavior modification campaigns, and that Christ was crucified for nothing because no souls chose redemption, and that He would be in federal prison, today, all over again!
Rick Simpson

Central Point, OR

#12 May 15, 2012
If you had bothered to read the Oregon Cannabis Tax Act 2012 which I linked you would have seen that our founding fathers used hemp for medicine and industry, and that they would be no doubt appalled and disgusted at the American story of the cannabis plant.

“Bye bye, Topix. ”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#13 May 15, 2012
Rick Simpson wrote:
If you had bothered to read the Oregon Cannabis Tax Act 2012 which I linked you would have seen that our founding fathers used hemp for medicine and industry, and that they would be no doubt appalled and disgusted at the American story of the cannabis plant.
This is what we call propaganda. You are putting words in the mouths of the Founding Fathers. That's unacceptable when talking with me.

“Bye bye, Topix. ”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#14 May 15, 2012
Rick Simpson wrote:
The answers to all of your questions as to how to end prohibition of this harmless plant, that there be no limits on the amount of tomatoes or cannabis any one adult may produce for his/her personal use, deatils of regulated commercial sales of these products, banning sales to/posession for minors (unless the parent's say its ok especially religious use, or if they need it medically) the harmlessness of driving with .05 ng/ml phytocannabinoid biproduct compound in your blood, the amandine in your blood already, where you can/cannot smoke, that it should be eaten, usually, all can be found on google. for a successful model of decrim. look at portugal. what about the messianic anointing oil of the hebraic/christian traditions, the recipe of which calls for cannabis, which christians are called to use to bring the healing of the nations, what about THAT?
This is disorganized and still unclear from a legal standpoint. You are not allowed to refer to the web site. You are required to post here, standing on our own two feet, using your own words, and relying on your own understanding of the rules and regulations you yourself support.

If you don't fully understand the issue you support so strongly, just say so.

It should be very easy for you to discuss this topic, but again, I have to complain. No stoner has been able to address the questions I've asked. You need to put on your big boy college pants and convince me you are more than just a follower. Show me you have answers.

FWIW, the religious aspects of marijuana you mentioned have absolutely nothing to do with the questions I asked.

Come on now, man. Step up your game. I demand more from you because this is a serious topic. Our lawmakers will need people who understand this debate to help shape the future laws and regulations in order to tax and earn revenue.

You know how bureaucracy works. It's unavoidable. Embrace the bureaucracy or die trying. Legalizing marijuana isn't like waving a magic wand. It's gonna come with lots of baggage.

“Bye bye, Topix. ”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#15 May 15, 2012
Listen, the biggest problem I see has to do with tax revenue. I do not for the life of me understand how you can allow adults to grow as much marijuana they want, yet argue that we will be earning lots of money through taxing commercial sales of marijuana in stores.

In other words, if you can grow the plant, why shop around? You can grow it. Smoke your own harvest. Sell it at a lower price and pocket the profits, minus the tax. Who would buy it at the store if they could grow it at home? If your neighbor charges $5 and the corner store charges $8, you're going to buy from your neighbor. Should your neighbor be fined? Should he fall under some sort of regulation?

Simply allowing adults to grow the stuff eats into any idea that we can profit from taxation. It doesn't make any sense from a business perspective.

By the way, don't bring up Christ. I'm an Atheist. Leave that crap out of this conversation. It's irrelevant.
Rick Simpson

Central Point, OR

#16 May 16, 2012
First, when the benefits of this medicine are better understood and more widely known and utilized, only about .003% of all use will be considered 'recreational' if any. There are states right now making a LOT of money just taxing medicine sales (that won't last forever, eventually the medicine will be as free as it ever was, finally.) There are also lots of drug dealers/murderers making a LOT EVEN MORE money on what would come to be called 'commercial sales' and all that money will directly transfer to the free and regulated market. YOU and the community-absentee college professors can iron out those details, eventually if the money dries up, AT LEAST THE MEDICINE WILL HELP SAVE LIVES.
Since, once the medicine is freed, it will not have as much monetary value, can we project any continued revenue from cannabis production? Duh, yes. Industrial applications should probably create a few lucrative business models, again, see thai cannabis corp.

Jesus started a whole new religion based on the Fact that 'the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations; no longer will there be any curse" Remember please that the priests were once the medical practitioners. In romans, Paul has warned us against 'counterfeit sacraments' and that we should, in any event,'not argue over disputable matters' but to 'do what leads to peace and mutual edification,''for the kingdom of god is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteoussness, peace and joy in he Holy Spirit." and we know from the hebrew texts that that those who 'love righteoussness and hate wickedness have been anointed with the oil of gladness.' Containers have been found marked with the messianic seal, and the words, "for the oil of the spirit."
Now consider all this Truth add a little Grace and some cannabis science and it is not hard to believe.

So, Christianity is relevant, here.

AND the founding fathers grew hemp for industry and medicine, that is a FACT, don't shoot the lowly messenger.
Rick Simpson

Central Point, OR

#17 May 16, 2012
oh yeah and this is based in language science, the Father gave moses instructions to use 'kannehbosm' when preparing the oil, which has been mistranslated usually as calamus or sweet cane, probably to purposefully hide this information.

“Bye bye, Topix. ”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#18 May 16, 2012
Rick, the Founding Fathers may have done those things, but saying that they would be "appalled and disgusted at the American story of the cannabis plant" is pure speculation on your part. You have nothing to back up how they would view the current story of cannabis. It is fact that they used it for the reasons you stated, but beyond that, you're talking out of your ass and I will kindly ask you to avoid letting your ass cheeks spread too wide.

From a legal standpoint and in terms of taxation and regulation, NO, Christianity has absolutely jack shit to do with this. Scripture is bullshit. It's just useless. Go back a few weeks and browse my run ins with Jesus freaks. I'll not entertain any scripture. The Bible is hogwash. Leave it out of this conversation, unless you want me to really turn into an asshole. I hate preachy Jesus freaks with a passion and I will turn this conversation away from marijuana and focus on your naive Faith-based greed and misguided horse manure you call scripture. I've done it before. I don't like doing it again, but I will in a heartbeat.

So no more Jesus freak BS. Irrelevant. No more.

I am not questioning the usefulness of the drug as a medicine. Nowhere in any of my posts did I condemn its use as a medicine. Any comments from you on that subject take us down a tangent I have specifically avoided on purpose. My questions are economic, so we are not talking about medicinal use. We are talking about the recreational users. I don't believe for one second that supporters of legalization all have medical issues which require medicinal marijuana. I do believe they are just supporters because they like to get high.

Now, economically, I disagree with the money going to drug dealers being shifted to the free market. I've already explained why. If you can grow it, you won't buy it. If your neighbor grows it, you can buy it from him or he can give you some. That's not a regulated market, man. You and I have different definitions of the word regulation.

My point is, if we are allowed to grow it as private citizens, that outlet alone competes directly with sales. No commercial enterprise would want that. If you want to legalize marijuana for personal use, you are going to have to treat it like we handled moonshiners. It will be regulated. We will not be able to grow it privately without proper licenses/permits. That is a reality you are just going to have to accept as part of the process.

I am not interested in cannabis as an industrial crop. It's a joke. The real world uses will be limited and only a green hippie believes hemp is that big of an industry.

This has to be compared to alcohol from a commercial standpoint. It must be treated like alcohol under the law. The same rules and regulations we have in place for alcohol consumption and sales will apply to marijuana, regardless of how safe you think it is. Tobacco is regulated. The FDA regulates all kinds of things we consume every day. You need to live with the reality that if you want marijuana legalized for recreational use, it will come at a cost and you will be shouldering that cost as a pothead, not me.

I really do not think stoners have thought this all the way through. It's an incomplete plan, reliant on magical thinking, not an understanding of commerce, bureaucracy, or laws.

This conversation is about the economical reality of recreational use and my questions highlight just how ignorant you stoners are. Your plan is taxation and regulation, but what you want cannot be taxed or regulated. It's all one gigantic contradiction.
Rick Simpson

Central Point, OR

#19 May 16, 2012
Can you legally make your own homemade beer? Do folks still buy beer? and is society better off with such regulatory policies than we were with those of alcohol prohibition?

TBH You underestimate the medicinal/industrial value. As a preventative medicine, every human being should consume cannabis as "the most important dietary element." - Dr. William Courtney( we have an endocannabinoid system that needs supplementation.)
You don't need to treat it like alcohol, it should be treated more like, umm..water (I'm sure it costs money for to regulate that, too.) that's if you are basing your law and policy on science, ok?

"I am not interested in cannabis as an industrial crop. It's a joke. The real world uses will be limited and only a green hippie believes hemp is that big of an industry. " in a real world run by fascist big oil suckers, maybe hemp use can be limited. But hemp may not be discredited as the material responsible for the rise and advancement of human beings as a species up to until roughly this point.

you misunderstand our founding fathers, our constitutional freedoms, and NOT invoke a religious argument, because, guess what, I have a perfectly strong one and the Christian faith should be respected by law and I should be free from interference from you and the government to practice that EXACTLY AS I PLEASE.

for that matter, I should be able to grow my own free and excellent medicine in this FREE COUNTRY exactly as I please, especially if you cannot produce a victim.

And, finally, you know what, the economy can fall into the dump forever and I really do not care, for if there still be soil and seeds we will be OK.
Rick Simpson

Central Point, OR

#20 May 16, 2012
**and i can't not invoke a religious argument*

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisiana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr deutscher Nationa... 115,307
Jimmy Swaggart Ministries Faces New Scandal (Aug '11) 21 hr NellHard 336
sammyboy Sat Lim 1
Alexandria sting results in 17 arrests on solic... Fri Hahahaha 21
Is Rev. Gabriel Swaggart Teaching False Things? Fri boom 2
Former Louisiana governor Edwin Edwards: Yester... Aug 29 hang them rats 1
Louisiana Senate race: Yes, Landrieu's vulnerab... Aug 22 Har 4
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Louisiana People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••