Deer dogs back as U.S. Forest Service withdraws ban for Kisatchie

Dec 4, 2012 Full story: The Town Talk 51

The U.S. Forest Service on Monday withdrew -- for now -- its proposed ban of using dogs to hunt deer on the federal forest lands of Kisatchie National Park in Louisiana.

Full Story

Since: Dec 12

San Jose, CA

#23 Dec 20, 2012
It would be great if the LA and MISS men could find someone from Texas that knows how to write letters to politicians and have this resolved.
Txninla

Leesville, LA

#24 Jan 9, 2013
I hunt on leased land. Land owner and lease manager asked that we shoot the dogs and throw carcass and collars in a ditch.

I killed 2 on Saturday, both were tracking a doe I had watched earlier in the morning.

I love dogs but have way too much money invested in hunting to watch a dog chase them off the property!
GOOD DEAL!!

Oklahoma City, OK

#25 Jan 9, 2013
Good for u!! Kill em all!!
Bob B

Leesville, LA

#26 Jan 9, 2013
Therefore you should be shot and your worthless carcass thrown in a ditch. Hopefully you won't be quite dead and it will take several weeks of gnawing by vermin and coyotes to finally do you in.

“Sneaking up on you”

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#27 Jan 9, 2013
Txninla wrote:
I hunt on leased land. Land owner and lease manager asked that we shoot the dogs and throw carcass and collars in a ditch.
I killed 2 on Saturday, both were tracking a doe I had watched earlier in the morning.
I love dogs but have way too much money invested in hunting to watch a dog chase them off the property!
LOL wow kind of harsh, but I understand !!

I understand that if you want to use dogs to hunt then be mindful of others who are in th woods as so must the others be mindful of non- dog hunters.

If you use a dog please use common sense and place GPS locator collars on your dogs and have at least one hunter with a computer watching the dogs location so that if the dog goes into an area that is being used by non-dog hunters then maybe you can get your dog out before it is shot.

For the non-dog hunters I know it pisses you off when you see one or two dogs spook a deer you have been watching for all morning, and you lose that deer due to it but really killing the dog is kind of far out there and really not needed you can shoot at the ground in front or behind the dog and scare it away if your a good shot it would be a very easy shot... right ???

Be careful

Elton, LA

#28 Jan 9, 2013
Txninla wrote:
I feel your pain. And don't blame you one bit the way you feel. But if,you did do this. And there is evidence that this was done. In conjuction with your confession of a crime on this forum. The right person in law enforcement that wanted to push this. Could easily get a suponea for this forum on your post. And also have grounds for a search warrant to be issued for ex. home. My advice to you is. Be careful what you say & how you say it on a blog. There might be better ways to get your point across.
Txninla

Leesville, LA

#29 Jan 9, 2013
Bob B wrote:
Therefore you should be shot and your worthless carcass thrown in a ditch. Hopefully you won't be quite dead and it will take several weeks of gnawing by vermin and coyotes to finally do you in.
If I'm trepassing on your property and harassing your deer, please feel free! Those dogs were killed in an instant. Why do feel the need to leave maimed and in pain. Is that going to somehow teach me a lesson?

Are you missing 2 dogs? I'll be happy to get you your collars.

Txninla

Leesville, LA

#30 Jan 9, 2013
Be careful wrote:
<quoted text>I feel your pain. And don't blame you one bit the way you feel. But if,you did do this. And there is evidence that this was done. In conjuction with your confession of a crime on this forum. The right person in law enforcement that wanted to push this. Could easily get a suponea for this forum on your post. And also have grounds for a search warrant to be issued for ex. home. My advice to you is. Be careful what you say & how you say it on a blog. There might be better ways to get your point across.
Point taken. Land owner has had feral dogs killing/harassing his calves. May or may not be related to deer dogs being abandoned. He asked me to protect his income.
Hummm

Leesville, LA

#31 Jan 11, 2013
Being that I hunt deer both ways, I completely get both sides of this argument. No doubt I'd be pissed if a dog ran off deer that I had been watching all morning, although, I must say, I'd be highly pissed if someone shot my dogs too especially after all the I invest in them in keeping their shots up and not to mention feeding them all year long. I mean, people get angry because dogs know no boundaries. How are dogs suppose to read a "no trespassing" sign? And it doesn't matter if you drop them off in the middle of a lease that's made for solely running dogs, they do no know how to only stay on that lease's property. As far the person that said something about tracking collars and GPS collars, I have both. Sometimes you cannot physically get to your dog before it crosses boundaries. Why kill an instant dog? All who do are complete idiots. It's not their fault they can't read signs. As a still hunter too, there is NO WAY I could kill a dog. Granted, I would try to shoot in the air to scare it off, but no way kill it. And for all the people out there that think dog running is unethical when it comes to hunting, you can take that crap somewhere else. To me, nothing is more unethical than high fenced hunting. I don't care if it's 200 acres or 2000 acres. People do that ALL THE TIME and no one complains.
how the outlaws doit

Ville Platte, LA

#32 Jan 12, 2013
Hummm wrote:
Being that I hunt deer both ways, I completely get both sides of this argument. No doubt I'd be pissed if a dog ran off deer that I had been watching all morning, although, I must say, I'd be highly pissed if someone shot my dogs too especially after all the I invest in them in keeping their shots up and not to mention feeding them all year long. I mean, people get angry because dogs know no boundaries. How are dogs suppose to read a "no trespassing" sign? And it doesn't matter if you drop them off in the middle of a lease that's made for solely running dogs, they do no know how to only stay on that lease's property. As far the person that said something about tracking collars and GPS collars, I have both. Sometimes you cannot physically get to your dog before it crosses boundaries. Why kill an instant dog? All who do are complete idiots. It's not their fault they can't read signs. As a still hunter too, there is NO WAY I could kill a dog. Granted, I would try to shoot in the air to scare it off, but no way kill it. And for all the people out there that think dog running is unethical when it comes to hunting, you can take that crap somewhere else. To me, nothing is more unethical than high fenced hunting. I don't care if it's 200 acres or 2000 acres. People do that ALL THE TIME and no one complains.
If was like you say about dogs crossing boundries, there would be no problem. However it is the hunters in charge of the dogs and purposely letting dogs trail on the leases so they will jump the deer and run them out. Plus leaving the dogs out over nite for them to roam private land and get run over on the highway.
Mr Hunter

Ville Platte, LA

#33 Jan 12, 2013
I have hunted with deer hours for 20 years but chose to give them up. I love nothing more than to hear my hounds at work and wait to see that beautiful white tail bust out weather I got a shot or just for the enjoyment.
I am now a land owner with a nice little heard of deer and it's mighty nice to sit and watch them beautiful animals browse around while sitting on a stand. Us as Americans has let greed take away from our freedom of hunting whereever you choose when the posted signs went up and hunting leases was created. Back in the day there was 30 plus days for dog hunting and could be done at your leisure but today it is cramped into a weeks worth of hunting. I wish every boy and girl out there could grow up as I did with there own pack of hounds and carefully plan the next moorings hunt as we did carefully choosing the right set of tracks for the eager hounds. Instead today you have folks looking for the best tracks well befor daylight with lights and such. Hell just last week a few pillars of the community was hunting with beages sitting on the paved country road with guns big as cannons with scopes the size of stovepipes waiting on them beagles to flush out a rabbit from a deer lease they wasn't members of, Hummmm I wonder why dog hunting is in question today. I think dog hunting is a act of Freeman but the american greed has taken this from the good ole boys that loved it so much.
As for as you concrete pounders out there call me a Hick if you want but I bet if you had a choice you would have love to grow up as I did, hunting the Ber months not really worried is season was open or not, but because it was part of our freedom. So if we gonna roll with the flow give,um up boys it's a thing of the past. I never taught my dogs to read but I sure as hell hope you have.
Know who you are

Ville Platte, LA

#34 Jan 14, 2013
Them dog hunters have never stopped running their dogs since the dog season ended on Kisatchie. Also those groups of dog hunters using them so called hog dogs as an escuse to run deer are also doing very well also. Yall are a parasites to the woods. But keep it up boys, more ammo. to get rid of deer dogs on Kisatchie. All dogs caught on private property or highway at this point will be hauled to the pound. At least they will get feed.
Disgusted by all of this

Pineville, LA

#35 Jan 15, 2013
Know who you are wrote:
Them dog hunters have never stopped running their dogs since the dog season ended on Kisatchie. Also those groups of dog hunters using them so called hog dogs as an escuse to run deer are also doing very well also. Yall are a parasites to the woods. But keep it up boys, more ammo. to get rid of deer dogs on Kisatchie. All dogs caught on private property or highway at this point will be hauled to the pound. At least they will get feed.
If you're in Ville Platte, you may not know that there is no pound in Grant Parish. The dogs are just left to starve and die along the roadways and at the dumpsters. But apparently that makes some of you happy.

Since: Sep 12

United States

#36 Jan 16, 2013
Txninla wrote:
<quoted text>
If I'm trepassing on your property and harassing your deer, please feel free! Those dogs were killed in an instant. Why do feel the need to leave maimed and in pain. Is that going to somehow teach me a lesson?
Are you missing 2 dogs? I'll be happy to get you your collars.
I am missing two yard dogs and I would love for someone to return my collars. So if as you said you would love to return my collars then come on.
No Lie

Ville Platte, LA

#37 Jan 17, 2013
Anybody want to buy a power chair. New batteries.
Woodworth

Ville Platte, LA

#38 Jan 17, 2013
Disgusted by all of this wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're in Ville Platte, you may not know that there is no pound in Grant Parish. The dogs are just left to starve and die along the roadways and at the dumpsters. But apparently that makes some of you happy.
Happy,what happy would be is catch those yellow back worthless cowards that abandon all the dogs. Then take them far back in the woods and tie them to a tree without food and water until their tongue was parched.
Mr get real

Fayetteville, NC

#39 May 14, 2013
It is illegal to hunt deer with dogs where I am, but you don't go messing with a mans dog either, I know if someone hurt one of my squirrel dogs. They wouldn't have legs left to stand on. Any man can shoot a dog, aint worth a bullet himself. Dog dont know any better than what he is taught. Sounds like yall have it mixed up to me. I deer hunt by sittin still, but that dont mean I shoot a dog if it comes up. Besides, some people that hunt dogs. The dogs cost more than any equipment any hunter can have, more than any plot you got. Plus the time they put in the dogs. If you ain't done it, don't knock it. End of story. I feel like I'm readin a bunch of post by a bunch of youngins.
me

Oklahoma City, OK

#40 May 15, 2013
poet wrote:
<quoted text>“National Forrest Resident,”“I Agree” and ",Rudolph the Raindeer"
First I want to make mention of the racist/bigot statement made by “I agree” where he stated in post #8.“Have fun., just keep dogs off other ppl land, you won't even he a collar. Back from me!!! I"ll give your dog to the chiniese ppl. Down the road, lol. Dog , deer. It's the same to them!!!
Really Dude, are you actually that stupid? Do you really think Chinese people eat dogs?
For the last year(s) I have listened to you so called “Kisatchie Residents” whine and cry about deer hunting with dogs. Hunting with dogs has been going on since the days of cavemen. You cry because a few hunters want to use the Kisatchie Forrest for a few days, to hunt the way they want to hunt, and not the way you want them to hunt. Now listen up, I know most of you so called “Kisatchie Residents” and you have been hunting/trapping in the Kisatchie Forrest for years. Let me point out a few things to you before you get all “high and mighty.” For years you have hunted/trapped/fished, etc., during hunting season and out of hunting season. You have taken deer, quail, dove, fish, turkey and wild hogs both legally and Illegal. You have hunted over illegal food plots and have set illegal traps. Just because you live within the Kisatchie National Forrest does not give you the right to break every hunting regulation on the books. Most of you so called “Kisatchie Residents” are a disgrace to the real/legal sportsman who follows the hunting laws. Now let the dog hunters hunt “legally” with their dogs and shut the F### up. Like I said earlier, I will have no problem snatching a knot in your ass if you shoot one of my dogs.
Amen!!! I'm with you 100 percent!
me

Oklahoma City, OK

#41 May 15, 2013
Humane Society Member wrote:
Why outlaw dogs on Kitsatchie? What is so different today compared to 30 years ago? Do you reckon the groups of outlaw dog hunters have poisoned the sport giving those dog hunters who do obey the law a bad name. Absolutely true. The same groups that run deer on Kisatchie starting in Oct. and other months out of the year. The same groups that are using the the reason to be out in the woods just before season opens with Hog/Deer dogs. "We are hog hunting" lining up the road with standers. Today you have hunting clubs and private land where running deer with dogs are not allowed. No one likes to spend $600.00 on club dues to have a pack of hounds come thru while you are still hunting on your stand. Are when the deer hounds are left in the woods over night roaming to invade the private lands and hunting clubs. Listen up folk, the time has come to give up the hunting deer with dogs.
Here's what I don't understand, these "private land owners" the gripe about dogs running over their stand while running deer, damn sure don't waste any time shooting at the deer they are running!! The deer don't have name tags on them. They don't belong to these specific group of people. If its still legal for people to hunt with dogs, then suck it up buttercup and give it up for a few days if they don't like it. My comments aren't to one person in particular, it's for everyone on this thread griping about it. Shooting someone's dogs--what are you like, 6 years old?! Grow up! When it's illegal, ill stop. Shoot my kids dogs, and get ready for my wrath. And yes, I am a woman who loves to still hunt, dog hunt, and the sport of hunting. I hear more griping from men about this than I do from women in general. It's only a few days, get over it......
me

Oklahoma City, OK

#42 May 15, 2013
Kevin Hagan wrote:
I think it is a great thing that the ban has been lifted for there are some people that grew up doing this and are very safe and courtious of others and there are some bad, but that is the case in everything in the world today. As for me i am very thankful to have because I want my kids to see the things that their ancestors enjoyed and the way of life they had.
Agreed!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisiana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 27 min Hidingfromyou 133,925
Number of Louisiana towns have pit bull bans wh... Dec 22 countrylad 18
Gay marriage ruling appealed to La. Supreme Court Dec 19 KiMare 42
Jimmy Swaggart Ministries Faces New Scandal (Aug '11) Dec 18 peter 365
new orleans roads Dec 15 jimmifsu85 2
Jerry Lee Lewis sustained by brief glory Dec 13 squeezers 2
Louisiana voters decide fate of Mary Landrieu, ... Dec 12 serfs up 46
More from around the web