Spanish Creole?Hispanic Identity?

Posted in the Louisiana Forum

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#1 Mar 12, 2014
Hello, I am a full blooded creole born and raised in louisiana. I always thought my ancestry was completely french and african, including my last name. But recently I discovered that my last name is Hispanic in origin and it can trace back to Spanish Texas and Mexico and Spain. I've always been interested in Spanish culture, but it's really cool that I've discovered that I'm actually directly linked to that culture in some way.

my question is, is it ok to recognize my spanish origin more than other creoles? All of my family and all other creole families only recognize the french and have no interest in the Spanish language or interest embracing that origin despite the fact that we (my family) carry spanish blood and a spanish surname. And by that statement that would classify my dad's family as Hispanic. I want to learn spanish and discover more about the culture, but I don't want to become a "poser" either, trying to force myself into something I don't belong in. Any advice?

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#2 Mar 12, 2014
i live in minnesota and female
Le creole

Omaha, NE

#3 May 16, 2014
dyel133 wrote:
Hello, I am a full blooded creole born and raised in louisiana. I always thought my ancestry was completely french and african, including my last name. But recently I discovered that my last name is Hispanic in origin and it can trace back to Spanish Texas and Mexico and Spain. I've always been interested in Spanish culture, but it's really cool that I've discovered that I'm actually directly linked to that culture in some way.
my question is, is it ok to recognize my spanish origin more than other creoles? All of my family and all other creole families only recognize the french and have no interest in the Spanish language or interest embracing that origin despite the fact that we (my family) carry spanish blood and a spanish surname. And by that statement that would classify my dad's family as Hispanic. I want to learn spanish and discover more about the culture, but I don't want to become a "poser" either, trying to force myself into something I don't belong in. Any advice?
a creole is not just french its equally spanish. There are many spanish creoles in louisiana called canary islanders aka islenos from spain from 1700's. As well as the millions of creoles in latino countries that arent french. We're all spanish. So of course you would want to learn your language its part of your heritage just like a latino.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisiana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 min Beyond The Wall 159,496
Jimmy Swaggart Ministries Faces New Scandal (Aug '11) 22 hr Cambuff 403
#1 Bisexual Dating Site in US (Sep '13) Apr 14 bisexualwoman 13
News Louisiana Is Latest State in Religious Objectio... Apr 12 Wondering 31
News 44 arrested in Sabine on drug charges (Oct '12) Apr 8 truth is out there 41
Need Louisiana Law School Scholarships! Mar 30 John Favinger 1
News How To Remove Florida Arrest.org And a Dui Mug ... (Jun '11) Mar 28 the shield 138
More from around the web