Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 195339 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“A stitch in time...”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#80804 Mar 14, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>As to the bright colours, there are two other categories: "warning" colours, such as are exhibited by many toxic/venomous species; and imitations of the same by innocuous species.
Think coral snakes and king snakes.
Fascinatin' stuff.
Yet there are snakes just as colorful, but are not poisonous at all.

Mimicking is an assumption with no proof.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#80805 Mar 14, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay so here's an analogy. Let's pretend God was a computer programmer and he created the genetic code for all living things.
He writes a program 1 and produces an output 1
He writes a program 2 and produces an output 2
And so on...
If you know the genetic code, it is represented with codes A C T G arranged in different sequence, that's the idea of permutation.
Here's and example of Program:
#NoEnv
StringCaseSense On
Nice linguine, but it is irrelevant to genetics. Not to mention that the permutations are rigid in that particular script, not dynamic, and thus making the entire thing completely different than DNA. It also doesn't respond to input, nor changes in the environment, something that coders have been working to actually accomplish for a great many years, and the only real reason I want to develop a video game using a true AI system, ironically. The best analogy to evolution is actually a classic game of dice, called Yahtzee. You roll the dice, keeping the ones you, the ones the benefit you, then on the next generation you reroll the other dice, and on ... and on ... however, with evolution the round never ends, so you ultimately get a Yahtzee.
John777

London, KY

#80806 Mar 14, 2013
If evolution is true? Why did it stop. How come evolution is not happening today. How come there are still not apes turning into men and walking around with us now? Where are these half human half monkey species at today? I believe God created the world and created the "old" stuff in it, he did create time as we know it. Testing that says something is millions of years old can be true and God could have created it a s well to be old when he made it. Was not meant for our human minds to understand in this life.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#80807 Mar 14, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
Asexual reproduction would be the most logical way to go in terms of evolutionary survival. so why wouldn't all species develop along these lines?
And why would some species develop camouflage to avoid predators, while others species exhibit bright colors that would attract predators?
Evolutionary survival claims make no since at all.
That's because you haven't learned anything about it. Asexual reproduction severely limits genetic variation as opposed to sexual reproduction, making the species much more prone to extinction. Variation also answers your second query, although you are simplifying it to the extreme.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#80808 Mar 14, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
sexual reproduction adds huge amounts of information to the gene pool, allowing for greater evolution.
evolution could just as well evolved the information into one, as it could have two distinct entities...so you argument is lame.
Your second sentence is lame because it hardly even passes as English.

“A stitch in time...”

Location hidden

#80809 Mar 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice linguine, but it is irrelevant to genetics. Not to mention that the permutations are rigid in that particular script, not dynamic, and thus making the entire thing completely different than DNA. It also doesn't respond to input, nor changes in the environment, something that coders have been working to actually accomplish for a great many years, and the only real reason I want to develop a video game using a true AI system, ironically. The best analogy to evolution is actually a classic game of dice, called Yahtzee. You roll the dice, keeping the ones you, the ones the benefit you, then on the next generation you reroll the other dice, and on ... and on ... however, with evolution the round never ends, so you ultimately get a Yahtzee.
if this is so true...why do lizards have evolutionary legs and the evolution of the snake had legs in the past but now has none?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#80810 Mar 14, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth - Merriam-Webster Dictionary
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/truth
a (1): the state of being the case : fact (2): the body of real things, events, and facts : actuality...
The Dude wrote:
"truth is meaningless in science"...finally something that we can agree on.
Of course you missed out the inconvenient bits, like: b : sincerity in action, character, and utterance

As a promoter of ignorance and anti-science you are insincere. Therefore my original definition was correct.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#80811 Mar 14, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
just because your comprehension is lacking, only means that it makes no since to you, not everybody.
Go boom. Irony meter duz it.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#80812 Mar 14, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
and why do they mimic those deadly snakes?

why do other butterflies mimic the monarch?

so much fun to be had!

St. Croix valley

#80813 Mar 14, 2013
John777 wrote:
If evolution is true? Why did it stop. How come evolution is not happening today. How come there are still not apes turning into men and walking around with us now? Where are these half human half monkey species at today? I believe God created the world and created the "old" stuff in it, he did create time as we know it. Testing that says something is millions of years old can be true and God could have created it a s well to be old when he made it. Was not meant for our human minds to understand in this life.
it is happeneing today. apes didnot turn into men. hominids and apes branched off a common ancestor.

perhaps you should try to undertand at least the very basics of an idea before you attempt to debunk it, lest you look like a bigger fool.

“A stitch in time...”

Location hidden

#80814 Mar 14, 2013
The evolution of the snake( or serpent) is one of apparent devolution.

St. Croix valley

#80815 Mar 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying I'm a Yahtzee?! awww...and I didn't get you anything...

oh wait...maybe we're not done yet...

can i be a full house? chance? four threes in the three slot at least?

“A stitch in time...”

Location hidden

#80816 Mar 14, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>and why do they mimic those deadly snakes?
why do other butterflies mimic the monarch?
so much fun to be had!
another assumption to support your evolutionary theory.

like I said, just an assumption with no actual proof.

St. Croix valley

#80817 Mar 14, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
The evolution of the snake( or serpent) is one of apparent devolution.
Why would you say that? they seem perfectly adapted to their environs...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#80818 Mar 14, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay so here's an analogy. Let's pretend God was a computer programmer and he created the genetic code for all living things.
He writes a program 1 and produces an output 1
He writes a program 2 and produces an output 2
And so on...
If you know the genetic code, it is represented with codes A C T G arranged in different sequence, that's the idea of permutation.
Here's and example of Program:
#NoEnv
StringCaseSense On
o := str := "Hello"
Loop
{
str := perm_next(str)
If !str
{
MsgBox % clipboard := o
break
}
o.= "`n" . str
}
perm_Next(str){
p := 0, sLen := StrLen(str)
Loop % sLen
{
If A_Index=1
continue
t := SubStr(str, sLen+1-A_Index, 1)
n := SubStr(str, sLen+2-A_Index, 1)
If ( t < n )
{
p := sLen+1-A_Index, pC := SubStr(str, p, 1)
break
}
}
If !p
return false
Loop
{
t := SubStr(str, sLen+1-A_Index, 1)
If ( t > pC )
{
n := sLen+1-A_Index, nC := SubStr(str, n, 1)
break
}
}
return SubStr(str, 1, p-1). nC . Reverse(SubStr(str, p+1, n-p-1). pC . SubStr(str, n+1))
}
Reverse(s){
Loop Parse, s
o := A_LoopField o
return o
}
And this will be the output of that program:
Hello
Helol
Heoll
Hlelo
Hleol
Hlleo
Hlloe
Hloel
Hlole
Hoell
Holel
Holle
eHllo
eHlol
eHoll
elHlo
elHol
ellHo
elloH
eloHl
elolH
eoHll
eolHl
eollH
lHelo
lHeol
lHleo
lHloe
lHoel
lHole
leHlo
leHol
lelHo
leloH
leoHl
leolH
llHeo
llHoe
lleHo
lleoH
lloHe
lloeH
loHel
loHle
loeHl
loelH
lolHe
loleH
oHell
oHlel
oHlle
oeHll
oelHl
oellH
olHel
olHle
oleHl
olelH
ollHe
olleH
get it yet???

Yup. And there are a number of problems with this analogy. It's not an accurate model of evolution. For one thing it doesn't take natural selection into account. For another thing DNA is not limited by symbolic language factors but rather chemical interactions. Also there are currently 7 billion different ways to make a human, but only one way to spell "Hello" in English. Your "permutation" model simply does not apply to DNA.

“A stitch in time...”

Location hidden

#80819 Mar 14, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you missed out the inconvenient bits, like: b : sincerity in action, character, and utterance
As a promoter of ignorance and anti-science you are insincere. Therefore my original definition was correct.
like: b : sincerity in action, character, and utterance.

wow that sounds like JC.

well I know you character, and I know JCs.

Guess who I'm going with.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#80820 Mar 14, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
whatever. I don't care. I bet you couldn't even write a simple HTML code to change your font. meh
Back at school at the end of the IT year they had us programming a 100+ line database program in BASIC from memory and from scratch. I couldn't do it now though. My bro on the other hand became an expert programmer.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#80821 Mar 14, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I just said that.

Quick, is *that* a coral snake or not??

Took too long. You're dead.

See how that works?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#80822 Mar 14, 2013
John777 wrote:
Why do you hate kittens?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#80823 Mar 14, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
if this is so true...why do lizards have evolutionary legs and the evolution of the snake had legs in the past but now has none?
"cos they don't need them.

BTW, some lizards don't have legs, either.

Nor do worms, nor many invertebrates.

It's whatever works given the evolutionary niche.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisiana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jimmy Swaggart Ministries Faces New Scandal (Aug '11) 8 hr Pastor Jerry 512
News Number of Louisiana towns have pit bull bans wh... (Dec '14) Apr 24 sunshine 21
News Pointe Coupee man knows history (Feb '09) Apr 24 joselyn90 23
News Judge Orders Louisiana to Continue Funding Plan... (Oct '15) Apr 22 private guy 62
News Louisiana 'sanctuary' cities under fire in the ... Apr 22 tomin cali 2
News Relief on way for public defenders office Apr 19 yocki2009 1
News Louisiana work requirements for food stamps deb... Apr 3 Vicky 2
More from around the web