Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 209834 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#77173 Feb 23, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe means you have no knowledge in the material world.
By my definition i am not an agnost. But then again people would be hard pressed to argue life and evolution.
Nothing in the tanakh disproves it.
So how christians make it all up is beyond me. Only by having invented a new god, new rules.
Wrong definition. Believe stands for the truth and what one loves or cherishes.
God is real, because the universe have said yes to that, i don't means that, it is beyond science.

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#77174 Feb 23, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Oscillations are cycles in nature and Solomon called them circuits. There is nothing new under the sun.
kohelet kahal (to call, loud this time)
Ecclesiastes 1:5 "The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose."

In other words, the old sun just keeps following it's path across the sky, as the flesh man watches it come up and go down, day after day, year after year and flesh generation after flesh generation. She comes up in the east, and sets in the west, then she hurries around the dark side to do the same old thing that she has always done. Flesh man watches the process as each time shortens the time of the flesh, and hastens the day of the decay. Same old thing day in, and day out, it never changes.

Ecclesiastes 1:6 "The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits,"

The thought in the Hebrew text here is an extension of the verse prior. Meaning that in it's seasons, in the summer the sun moves to the north and we have warmth, and in the summer the sun moves to the south position and we have the cold and blistery conditions. Solomon is saying that the seasons, just as the days are marked continually with the same old movements, just as they always have. By this we continue to have the seasons, the times of growing, and the times of harvesting.

Ecclesiastes 1:7 "All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again."

Solomon is reminding us that the rivers are not going to overflow the ocean. We know that through the evaporation of the waters in the seas, and oceans we have the rains, that fill the rivers, and flow to the seas to be evaporated again. This is a process that we can count on year after year, over and over; does is sound empty? It has a purpose that we will see.

Ecclesiastes 1:8 "All things are full of labour; man cannot utter it: the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing."

"Labor" in the text is "weariness. The labors, or weariness of the societies that flesh man hears and sees, man never quite understands. Anytime you get to the point that you know everything in this flesh body, you are just kidding yourself.

Ecclesiastes 1:9 "The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun."

Solomon, with the guidance of the Spirit of God, is telling you that those things that have happened before, will happen again. It is important that you understand this. There is no new idea or thing that can happen to man that has not already happened to man. >>Remember that "under the sun" in in reference to "this flesh body of man".

Location hidden

#77175 Feb 23, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
and further more, the creation of the flying spaghetti monster, would suggest a need to worship on a psychological level, even for atheists.
That's just a joke gone viral, and before you know it you have to make it more eleborate. Idols.
A theological thesis stated that because we need idols like Lady Gaga, that proofs we are essentially 'worshippers'(he stated: inbuild need of a god.)
But atheism takes a very open mind, just like any learning.
If you are prejudiced against the material you are not going to remember much or have a lot of motivation.
For an atheist critical reading would be leit-motive.
And a memory of cast-iron, so as to hold on to the different things you've seen, in the face of a good 500 years of established conviction.
Most people do not start out atheist but by reading they become so.

But i consider that healthy. usually that wold mean developing a deeper meaning.
And if it's not rational, it's a metaphore.
FREE SERVANT
#77176 Feb 23, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>kohelet kahal (to call, loud this time)
Ecclesiastes 1:5 "The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose."
In other words, the old sun just keeps following it's path across the sky, as the flesh man watches it come up and go down, day after day, year after year and flesh generation after flesh generation. She comes up in the east, and sets in the west, then she hurries around the dark side to do the same old thing that she has always done. Flesh man watches the process as each time shortens the time of the flesh, and hastens the day of the decay. Same old thing day in, and day out, it never changes.
Ecclesiastes 1:6 "The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits,"
The thought in the Hebrew text here is an extension of the verse prior. Meaning that in it's seasons, in the summer the sun moves to the north and we have warmth, and in the summer the sun moves to the south position and we have the cold and blistery conditions. Solomon is saying that the seasons, just as the days are marked continually with the same old movements, just as they always have. By this we continue to have the seasons, the times of growing, and the times of harvesting.
Ecclesiastes 1:7 "All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again."
Solomon is reminding us that the rivers are not going to overflow the ocean. We know that through the evaporation of the waters in the seas, and oceans we have the rains, that fill the rivers, and flow to the seas to be evaporated again. This is a process that we can count on year after year, over and over; does is sound empty? It has a purpose that we will see.
Ecclesiastes 1:8 "All things are full of labour; man cannot utter it: the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing."
"Labor" in the text is "weariness. The labors, or weariness of the societies that flesh man hears and sees, man never quite understands. Anytime you get to the point that you know everything in this flesh body, you are just kidding yourself.
Ecclesiastes 1:9 "The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun."
Solomon, with the guidance of the Spirit of God, is telling you that those things that have happened before, will happen again. It is important that you understand this. There is no new idea or thing that can happen to man that has not already happened to man. >>Remember that "under the sun" in in reference to "this flesh body of man".
Very good insight. The natural circuit is another term for cycles in all of creation.

“Keep the change...”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#77177 Feb 23, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
That's just a joke gone viral, and before you know it you have to make it more eleborate. Idols.
A theological thesis stated that because we need idols like Lady Gaga, that proofs we are essentially 'worshippers'(he stated: inbuild need of a god.)
But atheism takes a very open mind, just like any learning.
If you are prejudiced against the material you are not going to remember much or have a lot of motivation.
For an atheist critical reading would be leit-motive.
And a memory of cast-iron, so as to hold on to the different things you've seen, in the face of a good 500 years of established conviction.
Most people do not start out atheist but by reading they become so.
But i consider that healthy. usually that wold mean developing a deeper meaning.
And if it's not rational, it's a metaphore.
"That's just a joke gone viral"

yes...in the beginning...but it has actually evolved into a cult...which I find quite ironic.lol

Location hidden

#77178 Feb 23, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe means you have no knowledge in the material world.
By my definition i am not an agnost. But then again people would be hard pressed to argue life and evolution.
Nothing in the tanakh disproves it.
So how christians make it all up is beyond me. Only by having invented a new god, new rules.
If truly you are not an agnost, don't judge others .
If you don't know, God's existence is beyond scientific understanding.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#77179 Feb 23, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong. There are many gods and deities that are worshiped in buddhism...
And there are many atheist buddhists.

Location hidden

#77180 Feb 23, 2013
Thomas Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
We have to believe in anything that can't be disproven?
I guess we have to believe in witches, warlocks, werewolves, vampires, leprechauns, hobbits, gnomes, fairies, unicorns, abominable snowmen, extreterrestrials, and dragons, then.
What about dinosaurs?
Just try another road. No one can rule out the existence of spirits, God is a spirit.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#77181 Feb 23, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
and further more, the creation of the flying spaghetti monster, would suggest a need to worship on a psychological level, even for atheists.
You know, the whole "worship" thing is one of the first things that started me on the road to atheism.

It never made sense to me that some supposedly perfect, all powerful being would require worship.

That just struck me as a very vain and egotistical thing to require. It made the god I was supposed to believe in seem petty and more akin to an ego-maniacal human than any kind of supreme being.

From there, it was just a matter of time before the god of the bible, and any god for that matter, became matters of pure fiction for me-much like Santa Claus.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#77182 Feb 23, 2013
No need to rule out things there are no evidence for, Chip. No proof ever of any spirits of any kind. Never. None. Nada. Zippo. Zilch.

Location hidden

#77183 Feb 23, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Wrong definition. Believe stands for the truth and what one loves or cherishes.
God is real, because the universe have said yes to that, i don't means that, it is beyond science.
Believe...attributions: the truth, what one loves, what one cherishes.
God is real: is giving it a value.
And then we see another set of attributions.

Believe is not based on general concepts, or material knowledge. Some people believe in the devil, a little purple stone, magic.
And they could make the same claims you made, saying it is their believe, god...etc.

We are strugging for pages now , getting you to understand that believe is nothing but the few ideas you dress it up with.

Mind i'm not saying it is meaningless. But to each it's own.

But science can be counted upon.

“Keep the change...”

Location hidden

#77184 Feb 23, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
And there are many atheist buddhists.
I believe you mis-understand the concepts of Buddhism pertaining to "atheism"...

Most "atheist" Buddhists do not believe they evolve from un-intelligent goo...

Location hidden

#77185 Feb 23, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> If truly you are not an agnost, don't judge others .
If you don't know, God's existence is beyond scientific understanding.
Judging is only human...we all do it.
Do you have issues with judgements-calls!
I thought you couldn't wait for the big rapture.

God is spirit..how would you know jesus had returned?

“Keep the change...”

Location hidden

#77186 Feb 23, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, the whole "worship" thing is one of the first things that started me on the road to atheism.
It never made sense to me that some supposedly perfect, all powerful being would require worship.
That just struck me as a very vain and egotistical thing to require. It made the god I was supposed to believe in seem petty and more akin to an ego-maniacal human than any kind of supreme being.
From there, it was just a matter of time before the god of the bible, and any god for that matter, became matters of pure fiction for me-much like Santa Claus.
worshiping in essence, is just showing deep respect....

Location hidden

#77187 Feb 23, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
That would indeed be religion.
Never really saw the point either.
I consider it more a cultural phenomenon.
Nevertheless i'm thankfull for free choice and for the ability to give my own meaning to life.

Location hidden

#77188 Feb 23, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you mis-understand the concepts of Buddhism pertaining to "atheism"...
Most "atheist" Buddhists do not believe they evolve from un-intelligent goo...
your kidding, are you now imposing your standards on all buddhists?

Atheism is a roman concept. Well being jewish you would have the honorary titles of : atheist, heretic, pagan.
So i basicly wipe my shoes on this kind of racism.

Location hidden

#77189 Feb 23, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
worshiping in essence, is just showing deep respect....
Another attribution.
Why shouldn't f.i. joy fit the bill.
Or a feeling of sharing.

Football fans feel the same towards their idols.
They've just learned that church is putting the solemn face on.

“Keep the change...”

Location hidden

#77190 Feb 23, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
your kidding, are you now imposing your standards on all buddhists?
Atheism is a roman concept. Well being jewish you would have the honorary titles of : atheist, heretic, pagan.
So i basicly wipe my shoes on this kind of racism.
racism?...lol...what?
IRVINE

London, KY

#77191 Feb 23, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Judging is only human...we all do it.
Do you have issues with judgements-calls!
I thought you couldn't wait for the big rapture.
God is spirit..how would you know jesus had returned?
God is a Spirit and Jesus is now seated at his right hand and he and his father are one. When Jesus returns,I believe he will have a body just as he had when he ascended into heaven. Jesus has a glorified body.

Location hidden

#77192 Feb 23, 2013
Well before you can read the tanakh you should work on being an atheist.

Freservant:
Solomon, with the guidance of the Spirit of God, is telling you that those things that have happened before, will happen again. It is important that you understand this. There is no new idea or thing that can happen to man that has not already happened to man.

>>Remember that "under the sun" in in reference to "this flesh body of man".
FREESERVANT WROTE: Very good insight. The natural circuit is another term for cycles in all of creation.

FOR THE SEASONS, or seven circumambulations and a handy explanation to f.i. keep the flood at bay.(Someone should notify KAB.)

Just bringing it to the fore, so you will never forget that "UNDER THE SUN" references "THIS FLESH BODY OF MAN".

But oscillation does not feature much, a bit in moonphases.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisiana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Louisiana accordionist Buckwheat Zydeco has died Sep 24 Old Sam 1
Jimmy swaggert (Feb '16) Sep 24 thomas gibbons 3
Jimmy Swaggart Ministries Faces New Scandal (Aug '11) Sep 22 tom g 535
News This is NOT OKAY | Austin Westdale Parke former... (Jul '08) Sep 17 Www 15
#1 Bisexual Dating Site in US (Sep '13) Sep 14 JessicaKen 22
News America and Israel Share a Weird Political Path... Sep 5 Cath League of Du... 54
News Anti-Nazi PAC to defeat David Duke includes ex-... Sep 3 zionism is racism 1
More from around the web