Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 218749 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#77114 Feb 22, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
In a gadda da vida, honey
Don't you know that I'm lovin' you
In a gadda da vida, baby
Don't you know that I'll always be true
Oh, won't you come with me
And take my hand
Oh, won't you come with me
And walk this land
Please take my hand
I've been looking all over for the long version of that with the drum solo.

Langoliers

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#77115 Feb 22, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Because many Christians believe there is a heaven.

Logic is obviously not one of your strong points.

His song was aimed at people like you. He wants you to imagine the world as it truly is and you will not see that it is so bad. No need to invent false gods and fight wars over them.

By the way, if you need to go to a dictionary to define a word, you have usually already lost the debate.
Fun watching you back peddle and squirm to try and pull your feet out of your mouth.

"By the way, if you need to go to a dictionary to define a word, you have usually already lost the debate."

Ok so from now on you'll just take my word for it then?

Langoliers

Location hidden

#77116 Feb 22, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>Buybull=bible.....get it you christinas buy bull....
buybull is that like a book on the Big Bang?

Langoliers

Location hidden

#77117 Feb 22, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>You lie.
Like a rug!
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#77118 Feb 22, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
buybull is that a book on spontaneous life?
Your just being a child. You know what ai meant...Yell at me for making fun of your cults handbook or shut up with the stupid childish BS.

“what we think we become”

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#77119 Feb 22, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
lol. you won't find the code online, MAAT. There is no reason for anyone to know it anyways.
What is this "serendipity" definition used in science? People study coincidences?

above and beyond

#77120 Feb 22, 2013
Oops! That question was for MAAT.

Langoliers

Location hidden

#77121 Feb 22, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Because many Christians believe there is a heaven.

Logic is obviously not one of your strong points.

His song was aimed at people like you. He wants you to imagine the world as it truly is and you will not see that it is so bad. No need to invent false gods and fight wars over them.

By the way, if you need to go to a dictionary to define a word, you have usually already lost the debate.
"His song was aimed at people like you"

You don't even know John like I did.
I helped him write the song.

Ok maybe not I can't quite remember those days. The 70's. LOL

Langoliers

Location hidden

#77122 Feb 22, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>Your just being a child. You know what ai meant...Yell at me for making fun of your cults handbook or shut up with the stupid childish BS.
Is the buybull a book on owning jiffy lubes?
bohart

White Pine, TN

#77123 Feb 22, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
As the biggest group of deluded fanatical liars who learned all the want to know from their genocidal, child murdering apologist for rape and slavery of a god?
Gee! take a valium.

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#77124 Feb 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Ironically, the Sodom thing I learned from Mormons, it's amazing how things get ignored by religious people when it's convenient for them.
Written clearly inEzekiel, but try telling that!
They probably call you a liar.
Well i do not really expect people to know the bible by heart, but i'm always surprised how little self-proclaimed christians are arare of the actual text. And thus also why its so easy to make fun of them for the practicing atheist.

Like ps. 90:2 states everlasting to everlasting AND NOT apha and omega. And any safety never depending on the worlds creation (make that reordering deviding.)
Or shubee with his short teleomere devolution theory should be thumped in the shrivels with Job 14. Where it states that dying is natural but forever perishing is not on the agenda.

Location hidden

#77125 Feb 22, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
What is this "serendipity" definition used in science? People study coincidences?
Hi, evening!

I was so happy that you were going to give me an answer! lol

Well sofar we learned it's usefull in construction, virtual depictions. But can you be more precise...and i still have some reading up to do. kitten just caught my attention for a quick response.

Location hidden

#77126 Feb 22, 2013
Cybele wrote:
Oops! That question was for MAAT.
WIKI
Etymology
The first noted use of "serendipity" in the English language was by Horace Walpole (1717–1797). In a letter to Horace Mann (dated 28 January 1754) he said he formed it from the Persian fairy tale The Three Princes of Serendip, whose heroes "were always making discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, of things they were not in quest of". The name stems from Serendip, an old name for Sri Lanka (aka Ceylon), from Arabic Sarandib, which was adopted from Tamil "Seren deevu" or originally from Sanskrit Suvarnadweepa or golden island (some trace the etymology to Simhaladvipa which literally translates to "Dwelling-Place-of-Lions Island"[3]). Christophero Armeno had translated the Persian fairy tale into Italian, adapting Amir Khusrau's Hasht Bihisht[4] of 1302.

[edit] Science and technologyMain article: Role of chance in scientific discoveries
Various thinkers discuss the role that luck can play in science. One aspect of Walpole's original definition of serendipity, often missed in modern discussions of the word, is the need for an individual to be "sagacious" enough to link together apparently innocuous facts in order to come to a valuable conclusion. Indeed, the scientific method, and the scientists themselves, can be prepared in many other ways to harness luck and make discoveries.

[...]

Serendipity is a key concept in competitive intelligence because it is one of the tools for avoiding blind spots (see Blindspots analysis)[5][dead link][clarification needed]

[edit] UsesSerendipity is used as a sociological method in Anselm L. Strauss' and Barney G. Glaser's Grounded Theory, building on ideas by sociologist Robert K. Merton, who in Social Theory and Social Structure (1949) referred to the "serendipity pattern" as the fairly common experience of observing an unanticipated, anomalous and strategic datum which becomes the occasion for developing a new theory or for extending an existing theory. Robert K. Merton also coauthored (with Elinor Barber) The Travels and Adventures of Serendipity[6] which traces the origins and uses of the word "serendipity" since it was coined. The book is "a study in sociological semantics and the sociology of science", as the subtitle of the book declares. It further develops the idea of serendipity as scientific "method" (as juxtaposed with purposeful discovery by experiment or retrospective prophecy).

Related terms
William Boyd coined the term zemblanity to mean somewhat the opposite of serendipity: "making unhappy, unlucky and expected discoveries occurring by design".[7]
A zemblanity is, effectively, an "unpleasant unsurprise". It derives from Novaya Zemlya (or Nova Zembla), a cold, barren land with many features opposite to the lush Sri Lanka (Serendip). On this island Willem Barents and his crew were stranded while searching for a new route to the east.

Location hidden

#77127 Feb 22, 2013
In information technology, serendipity often plays a part in the recognition of a new product need or in solving a design problem. Web surfing can be an occasion for serendipity since you sometimes come across a valuable or interesting site when you are looking for something else.

Also 'whatever happens to cross my desk today'.

Location hidden

#77128 Feb 22, 2013
Looking at coincidences gives:
http://plus.maths.org/content/coincidences-ch...
I take it you have read it allready.

Location hidden

#77129 Feb 22, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Fun watching you back peddle and squirm to try and pull your feet out of your mouth.
"By the way, if you need to go to a dictionary to define a word, you have usually already lost the debate."
Ok so from now on you'll just take my word for it then?
'WHAT'?

;p

Location hidden

#77130 Feb 22, 2013
Cybele
http://www.google.nl/search...
google: The study of coincidences.
Yes people study allsorts of coincidences and have developed statistical methods for it.
And also whether gravitational fields have coinciding overlap and the appropriate math.
Which would get us back to angry bird space again and oscillations.

Location hidden

#77131 Feb 22, 2013
Elohyms image

derived imagination
Langoliers wrote:
imag·ine\i-ˈma-jən\
transitive verb
1 : to form a mental image of (something unreal) <imagine accidents at every turn>

Heaven nor hell is featured in the tanakh.

Your translation or attribution is miles of the mark.

But i'll say all this bible thumping can make one skip page after page.

Location hidden

#77132 Feb 22, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
You're really fascinated with poop, aren't you?
I know you meant as a riposte to langoliers remark...but honestly they are.
just read some lines in the judaism forum or any christian forum for that matter and the anal obsessed are all christians.
I even developed an entire psychological profile based on development phases in their comments over the years.
Some made it to the titty phase.
Hurray!:~[

above and beyond

#77133 Feb 22, 2013
MAAT, that's interesting. It happens all the time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisiana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jimmy Swaggart Ministries Faces New Scandal (Aug '11) 7 hr Jean foley 558
News Why 1,000 women from Louisiana are planning to ... 20 hr Ghost with the most 1
News Weird 4 mins ago 9:09 p.m.Me-ouch! La. kitty ge... Jan 8 Xstain Mullahs 5
News Part 1 -- Louisiana Third Circuit Affirms Conno... (Jul '09) Dec 27 Nancy 11
News Lawmakers face flood of inauguration ticket req... Dec '16 Le Jimbo 2
News Judge tosses Louisianan's gay-, sex-shift-right... Dec '16 Magic Utah Uwear 1
News Trump rallies Louisiana GOP voters for final 20... Dec '16 bottlecap 1
More from around the web