Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 200954 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#76467 Feb 18, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exodus
According to Exodus 12:37-38, the Israelites numbered "about six hundred thousand men on foot, besides women and children," plus many non-Israelites and livestock.[15] Numbers 1:46 gives a more precise total of 603,550.[16] The 600,000, plus wives, children, the elderly, and the "mixed multitude" of non-Israelites would have numbered some 2 million people,[17] compared with an entire Egyptian population in 1250 BCE of around 3 to 3.5 million.[18] Marching ten abreast, and without accounting for livestock, they would have formed a line 150 miles long.[19]
No evidence has been found that indicates Egypt ever suffered such a demographic and economic catastrophe or that the Sinai desert ever hosted (or could have hosted) these millions of people and their herds.[20] Some scholars have rationalised these numbers into smaller figures...
A century of research by archaeologists and Egyptologists has found no evidence which can be directly related to the Exodus captivity and the escape and travels through the wilderness,[3] and most archaeologists have abandoned the archaeological investigation of Moses and the Exodus as "a fruitless pursuit".[
Very likely, nevertheless what are all those 1000 BC with Judean derived artefacts fortresses doing there. The story a methaphore for exile and delivery which is the entire theme of the religion.

But i have a language issue.
Why do orthodox jews keep insisting that it should read çhiefs (of thousands). Well because they understand the language better, no doubt.
We find that in translations just about everything becomes thousand. ish, alef, elef, alfei, elfei, beelfei etc.
f-ph. It alltogether get's a bit ridiculous.
A census in the old days would usually just count the man that were of fighting ability and age...even in the roman days.
ulpan-teaching , study(room)
Going back even further, we find that Klein says that that (hebrew <-) phlé meaning "teaching" derives from a "base probably meaning originally 'to be linked together, be connected'[cp. Akkadian ulapu (=band), elippu (=ship), whence arose the meanings 'to join, to be familiar with'."

From this early meaning we get the word elef (phlé)- thousand, which Klein claims originally denoted "group, crowd". Another related meaning of elef is "part of a tribe" which originally referred to "part of a tribe consisting of a thousand people". The head of the tribe was known as an aluf - and from this we get the modern Hebrew words for "general (in the army)" and champion.

Alef is a guttural letter and therefore occasionally switches with other guttural letters - heh, ayin as well as yod.

Langoliers

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#76468 Feb 18, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>Thought eperiment.
Try and read it as if it concerns god and what he states.
I ask that of all chr.'s i come across.
If you fail you use the wrong language.
Hence the short-sighted interpretation.
What?

Location hidden

#76469 Feb 18, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is forcing you to practice a religion? Do you have a problem with people doing what their own cultures dictates too?
Well no problem if it weren't for all those posts based on incredulity and anxiety turned into total negation of science.
Like the discussion on page 3616.

Mind Matth 24:36 (?) about the son being a bit less knowledgable than the father and another one where spirit is compared to uninhibited inspiration as caused by hard liquor, does not really give the faith more credence.
Also
And according to the bible, for 3 days and 3 nights after his crucifixion, Jesus was NOTHING. He died.
Since God manifests Himself in 3 diff persons, even The God ceased from being A God during that 3D and 3N (assuming that ONLY Jesus died while God the Father and Holy Spirit survived*).
Yet since Jesus and God the Father is one inseparable entity, when Jesus died, God died. The universe runs by itself for 3D and 3N.
God can do anything BUT&#65279; die. Do you agree? ;)

Well there we are.*The eastern church states the father+the spirit=the son. The west the father + the son=the spirit=the church. I'll not bore you with theology but i often wonder why they even bothered.
Or why people presume they are lost without it.
As to that aspect the label 'cult would come close.

Langoliers

Location hidden

#76470 Feb 18, 2013
Barry Bali wrote:
<quoted text>No, bars are proof that the gummint wants us to pay excise on our way to plastered bliss.
What?

Location hidden

#76471 Feb 18, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
What?
Subduction zone jumped into that one. The second set.
But try it with the ones that christians presume to be the ten.

Location hidden

#76472 Feb 18, 2013
government or gemeente, as to the universe running on beer. Poster suggest the proper spelling is tax.
Now say WHAT! langoliers

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#76473 Feb 18, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Look at him, a bloody mortal saying this. I reserved my comments.
Chuckles the Clown believes that because he cannot understand the concept of evidence no one can understand the concept of evidence. A mental disability called "projections", or assigning your faults to others.

Location hidden

#76474 Feb 18, 2013
The other issue is that verse alef would with that kind of reasoning really be verse thousand or as also translated thousands.
Genesis 1:1 thus genesis 1000s

Everett, WA

#76475 Feb 18, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Subduction zone jumped into that one. The second set.
But try it with the ones that christians presume to be the ten.
Well according to God the second set is the same as the first, that is if the Bible is true. So the tenth commandment is a ban on cheeseburgers. At least if you go by the Ten Commandments that were carved into stone.

“what we think we become”

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#76476 Feb 18, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Well no problem if it weren't for all those posts based on incredulity and anxiety turned into total negation of science.
Like the discussion on page 3616.
Mind Matth 24:36 (?) about the son being a bit less knowledgable than the father and another one where spirit is compared to uninhibited inspiration as caused by hard liquor, does not really give the faith more credence.
Also
And according to the bible, for 3 days and 3 nights after his crucifixion, Jesus was NOTHING. He died.
Since God manifests Himself in 3 diff persons, even The God ceased from being A God during that 3D and 3N (assuming that ONLY Jesus died while God the Father and Holy Spirit survived*).
Yet since Jesus and God the Father is one inseparable entity, when Jesus died, God died. The universe runs by itself for 3D and 3N.
God can do anything BUT&#65279; die. Do you agree? ;)
Well there we are.*The eastern church states the father+the spirit=the son. The west the father + the son=the spirit=the church. I'll not bore you with theology but i often wonder why they even bothered.
Or why people presume they are lost without it.
As to that aspect the label 'cult would come close.
God can do anything but die? How can he die when he's not human? The holy trinity in Christians is a personification so that humans can relate but apparently many do not.

Langoliers

Location hidden

#76478 Feb 18, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
Obviously Langoliers is not going to meet my challenge for what the Tenth Commandment is that was carved in stone by God himself.

The Tenth, and last Commandment carved in stone was....

A ban on cheeseburgers. That was choice number one.

Don't believe me?

Go to Exodus 34 where it will tell you what god carved into stone. Of course these were the replacement stones but God said he would carve the same words that he did in the first stone.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...

The tenth of the Ten Commandments that Langoliers quoted was only the tenth of a whole slew of commandments given by God orally.

I was talking about the big ten, those carved in stone.

Here is a nice video discussing this aspect of the Bible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =pkCJ8rb8GrwXX
I see now the hole in your head. I always knew it was there but the hair was covering it up. Thanks for lifting your hair (the pony tail) and exposing the hole.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Evolution is true.....

#76479 Feb 18, 2013
List of arguments for creationists to avoid--and arguments to never use—by the 'Answers in Genesis' people.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/get-answers/t...

Location hidden

#76480 Feb 18, 2013
The question and comment Cybele answered was by the way form kong to bohart.

What get's to me in Boharts reply is this:
.It's either that ,or all that exists , came into being by accident ,from nothing, for no purpose, with no meaning, and absolutely no direction.Thats not only illogical, its irrational.No sentient being not bound up in denial or with some simmering hatred for God would believe that.
end quote

What if the meaning of life was that we all had to reproduce. Or that we all had to get a little blue stone.Or wear a tinfoil hat or had to find aliens or invent elastics for our knckers so we would invent stringtheory. The idea, by the way, comes from music instruments and thinking a lot about particle wave duality. And why waves work better in formulas.
I'm so happy we have free choice also into giving meaning to my life, and not being dictated.
That was by the way what the parable of adam and eve was really about, but hey it got lost in translation. Islam is even worse, they allready filled in that the serpent was shaitan, the conclusion christianity had reached about that time.
But Boharts end conclusion that we must thus be filled by hate is truly strange.
Given that saving or holy is all about healing, making whole. That's the revelation. No destruction whatsoever involved.
And you do not need to be religious to be a humanitarian.

Everett, WA

#76481 Feb 18, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
I see now the hole in your head. I always knew it was there but the hair was covering it up. Thanks for lifting your hair (the pony tail) and exposing the hole.
Did you check out your Bible? No, you didn't. Do you need the whole chapter that describes how God carved this in stone and the modern day interpretation of that commandment is a ban on cheeseburgers.

I know, it is crazy, but true. No wonder most Christians go to such lengths to avoid that embarrassment.

Location hidden

#76482 Feb 18, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
God can do anything but die? How can he die when he's not human? The holy trinity in Christians is a personification so that humans can relate but apparently many do not.
That's an explanation for a frankly totally unneeded concept that only confused the heck out of people.
And leaves us with people that are confused about whether to worship god or The worshipper to god.
And the entire idea that it is free choice and about healing yourself by doing away with the scape-goat in yourself is totally lost to people.

Everett, WA

#76483 Feb 18, 2013
Just for Langoliers, and with an explanation too since he is incredibly dense and a poor loser to boot.

The latter half of Exodus 34:26, the Tenth of the Ten Commandments that were carved in stone:
“Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk.”
This is viewed as a general ban of cooking milk with meat since you cannot really tell who the mother of the cow that you are eating was. A cheeseburger is cooking milk with a meat product, both from cows.

God, or at least the writers of the Bible, thought cooking meat in milk that may have come from its mother was in very poor taste.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#76484 Feb 18, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Both are irrelevant to science. In science there is only ONE school of thought - the scientific method.
Then you must be an alien.

Location hidden

#76485 Feb 18, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually since I've read more science than you do, I'd wager I understand them better than you do.
In fact other than the concept of fundamentalism, understanding anything seems to be a skill you lack.
I am not dragging any thing with you.
My position is that, no one can disprove the existence of God. And again, God almighty is the creator of the universe. You can eat your science, that is your business.

Location hidden

#76486 Feb 18, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>Blah blah blah... yeah, I know... bald is a hair color, abstinence is a sexual position, not collecting stamps is a hobby, short is tall, up is down, fat is skinny, lying is only a sin for christians if they are not promoting their faith in the process... etc, etc, etc
A true faith does not promotes its precepts at the detriments of other faiths, but the people in question are the ones drawing closer to the faith, because seen they say, is believing.

Location hidden

#76487 Feb 18, 2013
Bluenose wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Dude (again) but Chuck does not understand fundamentalism, if he did he would not be a fundamentalist. What he actually does is mindlessly repeat tired old long refuted fundamentalists non-arguments. He has a good memory for fundy bullet points and catch-phrases, but no discernible critical faculties to evaluate them.
Blacknose, Rednose or what ever your name is, do you really have any thing relevant to say? I think, no!
Any way, welcome back from your lost paradise.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisiana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Baton Rouge horror: When the breaking news is m... Jul 18 Le Jimbo 2
hey black folks (Nov '15) Jul 17 hunter 3
News Obama: Police shootings show US has a 'serious ... Jul 8 Guardian Angels 1
Jimmy Swaggart Ministries Faces New Scandal (Aug '11) Jul 6 ConnieB 525
News Jeff Sadow: Public should not let Edwards fool it Jun 24 julikemp 1
#1 Bisexual Dating Site in US (Sep '13) Jun '16 Aliyyyy 18
News 164 days to election, 51 days to Cleveland, 58 ... May '16 Three Psyche 14
More from around the web