Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#73105 Jan 30, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
At what point does carbon dating break down?
And how would you really know if it did or didn't?
Carbon dating is only good for up to 60,000 years because the material it measures, C-14, decays into other materials with a half life of just over 5000 years. By the time you get past 60K, there is so little remaining that its not measurable against background noise.

For older materials, other decaying isotopes are used with half lives from thousands of years to several billion years. However, only carbon-14 is actually IN the specimen. For the older datings, they date the rocks around and above the fossil, and they can only be certain types of rock too.

Dubai, UAE

#73106 Jan 30, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Then there can be no real evidence to trace how chickens evolved from dinosaurs without DNA evidence.
We still have the fossil record. It now includes 30+ species that share feathers along with characteristics of therapod dinosaurs.

A chicken would not have evolved from a dinosaur directly. Some early bird evolved from a dinosaur - from something like that bunch above. It then evolved into a bird that evolved in a radiation to other early birds which radiated to other bird and another bird etc. Meanwhile dinosaurs also continued to evolve until they were devastated 65 million years ago.

A chicken is just one of the recent iterations of bird evolution.

Dubai, UAE

#73107 Jan 30, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> You have no evidence either.
There is piles of evidence, from the cosmic microwave background radiation, to the red shift, to observations of galaxies billions of light years away (essentially looking at them as they were more than 10 billion years ago, because that is how long it took for their light to reach us).

These were the EVIDENCE that led scientists to accept the Big Bang, a theory that was not popular until observation confirmed its predictions. And we can now add inflation to that, as an event that occurred just after the big bang itself.
Anonymous

Ashburn, VA

#73108 Jan 30, 2013
Professor wrote:
Even if evolution is true (and there is plenty of evidence to support it), scientists cannot explain how the very first cell came into existence.
After the Big Bang, the universe was sterile. SOMETHING happened to cause life to appear out of nothing.
I recommend you to read Stephen Hawking's The Grand Design.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#73109 Jan 30, 2013
It didn't take billions of years for the heavens and the earth to become formed and the earth was formed from water. It may take a long time for evos to catch up with the truth however........

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#73110 Jan 30, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
It didn't take billions of years for the heavens and the earth to become formed and the earth was formed from water. It may take a long time for evos to catch up with the truth however........
Erm .... what? "The Earth was formed from water?" No, if it was then what are we standing on?
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#73111 Jan 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Erm .... what? "The Earth was formed from water?" No, if it was then what are we standing on?
The word of God says it came about by the dividing of the waters. This is how the other elements were seperated from what was water to begin with and the dry part became solid earth. This is how it happened and the Bible tells us about it.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#73112 Jan 30, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>The word of God says it came about by the dividing of the waters. This is how the other elements were seperated from what was water to begin with and the dry part became solid earth. This is how it happened and the Bible tells us about it.
Which is impossible. For water to collect the Earth's solid surface would have to exist first so that the water would have somewhere to pool onto. Duh.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#73113 Jan 30, 2013
All I have is God's word on how the earth began and I believe it. The truth will stand when the earth is on fire.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#73114 Jan 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is impossible. For water to collect the Earth's solid surface would have to exist first so that the water would have somewhere to pool onto. Duh.
You still don't understand that the earth was purposefully assembled by the Creator and his word said water was involved in the very beginning.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#73115 Jan 30, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
All I have is God's word on how the earth began and I believe it. The truth will stand when the earth is on fire.
Really ... so how is that doomsday stuff coming? Been hearing about it for ... 2000 years, and everything keeps getting better on this planet. So ... when is thise "fire" suppose to happen?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#73116 Jan 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You really are an idiot. Bone is a biological material, so is feces, so is saliva. You need to learn English.
lol...Did I say they wasn't? All I did was quote a science article.

If you payed any attention at all,the idea was about incorporating organic materials into computer design.

Transistors made from organic materials found in the human body

http://www.ecofriend.com/transistors-made-org...

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#73117 Jan 30, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>You still don't understand that the earth was purposefully assembled by the Creator and his word said water was involved in the very beginning.
You need a lot of evidence to make what you say anything less than a delusion.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#73118 Jan 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Really ... so how is that doomsday stuff coming? Been hearing about it for ... 2000 years, and everything keeps getting better on this planet. So ... when is thise "fire" suppose to happen?
No man knows not even the angels in heaven, only the Creator knows that.

Location hidden

#73119 Jan 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Because hereditary material is carbon based, duh.
Again, missed the point entirely.

Location hidden

#73120 Jan 30, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Universal Intelligence is a term used by some to describe what they see as organization, or order of the universe. It has been described as "the intrinsic tendency for things to self-organize and co-evolve into ever more complex, intricately interwoven and mutually compatible forms."
In attempting to design an artificial machine intelligence, the term universal intelligence is a descriptive term based on a mathematical formula.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Intell...
There is math in everything. That's the universal language and the universal intelligence of everything! It's simple matrix.
Intrinsic intelligent design.

Location hidden

#73121 Jan 30, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
You write:
“Actually the truth of the matter is, Science has to tie ID in with religious creationism to avoid the real issue...that of an obvious intelligent process behind the Universe.”
Well it was the courts that made the final decision; Intelligent Design is nothing more than Creation Science (religion) rebranded. And the court was right. There is no obvious intelligence process behind the universe, and there is no obvious intelligence behind Intelligent Design.
You write:
“The very same ploy is used to tie Christianity in with the barbaric practices of the historical hebrewic <sic> culture. The one's that the Christ abhored <sic> and spoke out against. There can be no real argument against the true teaching of Christ, so it's one of non existence...”
It is my understanding that Jesus was a Hebrew and remained one through-out his life. I think you would find that the dreams and aspirations of the average Jew today is about the same as the average Christian. They just don’t believe that Jesus was the messiah…and they might be on to something.
Anyway, all of that is superfluous to Intelligent Design being religion and you’re trying to insert Christian religion into secular schools. If you want your children to know the religion, teach it in your home or send your kids to religious schools.
Just be aware that you are dumbing down your children and they might not be able to integrate into modern work situations. Also, they may be pretty mad at you when they finally find out all that religious stuff is just a big scam.
Could care less about the politics involved.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#73122 Jan 30, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Could care less about the politics involved.
Since you don't care about the facts, then why do you care at all?

Location hidden

#73123 Jan 30, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Carbon dating is only good for up to 60,000 years because the material it measures, C-14, decays into other materials with a half life of just over 5000 years. By the time you get past 60K, there is so little remaining that its not measurable against background noise.
For older materials, other decaying isotopes are used with half lives from thousands of years to several billion years. However, only carbon-14 is actually IN the specimen. For the older datings, they date the rocks around and above the fossil, and they can only be certain types of rock too.
The only point I was making was that tree rings used to verify the method....but there is quite a difference between one hundred year old tree rings, and millions of year old fossils.

Location hidden

#73124 Jan 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you don't care about the facts, then why do you care at all?
I said I don't care about the politics...politics and facts might be the same to you...but there's a world of difference.

Science taught with political bias, to support the ideology of science is not true science.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisiana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HELP U.S. send MARY LANDRIEU back to her 2.5-MI... 3 hr MARK TRAINA - NAAWP 1
Is Rev. Gabriel Swaggart Teaching False Things? 4 hr Bible Bearer 6
Jimmy Swaggart Ministries Faces New Scandal (Aug '11) Sep 10 Ruthie W 340
Louisiana Poll Shows Tight Race Between Cassidy... Sep 10 Le Jimbo 9
Shreveport couple will appeal gay marriage ruling Sep 8 The Troll Stopper 3
Super Derby LuncheonSuper Derby LuncheonThe Shr... Sep 7 BossierDarby 1
Renee Stringer: Jonesboro's issues being ignored (Jun '12) Sep 2 Well 27
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••