Bad Dog to Get New Life as Prison Guard

Bad Dog to Get New Life as Prison Guard

There are 5 comments on the US News & World Report story from May 2, 2012, titled Bad Dog to Get New Life as Prison Guard. In it, US News & World Report reports that:

The wolf dog hybrid named Chief - once ordered destroyed for aggressive behavior - will become a guard dog at Louisiana's maximum security prison.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at US News & World Report.

FundieMentally ill

Cheltenham, PA

#1 May 2, 2012
The article quotes no one saying that Chief bit anyone, and the owner specifically denies Chief bit anyone. Just from his photo he appears to have a good disposition.

Chief kept getting loose and frightening the neighbors.

The comments section with the linked article has some well informed posters; this doesn't sound as good an idea after some thought.

Still, it always the owner - couldn't keep Chief in the house or on a leash at all times....

“Jody”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#2 May 2, 2012
Wolf hybrids, in my opinion, should be illegal. Not fair to the canine, not safe for a pet as the animal will always be torn between the stronger instinctive pack behavior versus bred in domesticated pet behavior. Humans, as usual, don't have a clue.

That said, I start singing,.. "Bad dog, bad dog, what ya gonna do,... what ya gonna do when they challenge you?" Prisoners listen up, this ain't your grandpa's pup, he'll rip your tendons apart or go for your throat. You boys better be good. There's a new alpha in town!!
FundieMentally ill

Cheltenham, PA

#3 May 2, 2012
off the trail wrote:
Wolf hybrids, in my opinion, should be illegal. Not fair to the canine, not safe for a pet as the animal will always be torn between the stronger instinctive pack behavior versus bred in domesticated pet behavior. Humans, as usual, don't have a clue.
That said, I start singing,.. "Bad dog, bad dog, what ya gonna do,... what ya gonna do when they challenge you?" Prisoners listen up, this ain't your grandpa's pup, he'll rip your tendons apart or go for your throat. You boys better be good. There's a new alpha in town!!
The article is interesting as it mentions that the prison itself already breeds wolf hybrids for this duty and quotes them as saying they want aggressive animals, not vicious killer ones.

This pet got out repeatedly with no biting incidents. I'd say the photo of him "smiling" correctly indicates his nature - or there would have been biting incidents in his repeated escapes.

I don't generally favor breeding wolf hybrids - if that's even what they are in scientific terms, there's some ambiguity - but this one is already a pet.

As I said the comments section under the article has some people discussing various viewpoints on the matter. Some of them appear to be quite knowledgeable.

“Jody”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#4 May 3, 2012
FundieMentally ill wrote:
<quoted text>
This pet got out repeatedly with no biting incidents. I'd say the photo of him "smiling" correctly indicates his nature - or there would have been biting incidents in his repeated escapes.
I don't generally favor breeding wolf hybrids - if that's even what they are in scientific terms, there's some ambiguity - but this one is already a pet.
As I said the comments section under the article has some people discussing various viewpoints on the matter. Some of them appear to be quite knowledgeable.
That is what I meant by humans being often being clueless. "Smiling" by a "dog" may mean aggression, but it is actually a wolf characteristic denoting submissive behavior instead of aggression. Scares the hell of people to see a big canines flashing his canines tho. If the wolf side reverted to true aggression, there would be no "smile", just a quick take down and hold for submission or death.

It can be a bad thing if a dog "smiles", but it mostly means peace from a wolf.
FundieMentally ill

Cheltenham, PA

#5 May 3, 2012
off the trail wrote:
<quoted text>
That is what I meant by humans being often being clueless. "Smiling" by a "dog" may mean aggression, but it is actually a wolf characteristic denoting submissive behavior instead of aggression. Scares the hell of people to see a big canines flashing his canines tho. If the wolf side reverted to true aggression, there would be no "smile", just a quick take down and hold for submission or death.
It can be a bad thing if a dog "smiles", but it mostly means peace from a wolf.
I am aware that showing teeth can be a sign of aggression. It was not (always) with my former dog. He had a tic, the facial twitch kind.... It is contextual. Is the dog hunched (trouble, most likely)? Is the dog's body wiggly and loose (all's good)?

Similarly a wagging tail does not mean "happy." It means "ready to interact, for good or ill."

Did you look at the photo of Chief? There is no sign of aggression in that photo in my opinion. An aggressive dog surely would have bitten after numerous escapes and confrontations with scared neighbors - the escape and resulting human reactions being a chaotic situation for an indoor dog.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisiana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 min Regolith Based Li... 221,488
Jimmy Swaggart Ministries Faces New Scandal (Aug '11) Jun 12 Bigcatty7p7 601
News Professional racist Richard Spencer makes his m... Jun 6 Lawrence Wolf 13
News Revamped "Anti-Science" Education Bills in U.S.... May '17 Paul Scott 1
Is Rev. Gabriel Swaggart Teaching False Things? (Jul '14) May '17 Redhen 8
News Police: Louisiana boy dies after accidentally s... May '17 knoe 1
News No Charges for Officers in Alton Sterling Case May '17 About time 1
More from around the web