Audit slams police jury records, pay raises and failure to act

Aug 31, 2010 | Posted by: pragmatist | Full story: www.2theadvocate.com

The West Feliciana Parish Police Jury’s physical financial records “were in disarray” when state auditors responded in December to a request from the District Attorney to look at jury spending practices.

The Louisiana Legislative Auditor’s Office released a report Monday that also questions the controversial $30,000 in total pay raises given to Parish Manager Ambrose Sims last year; says the jury had no controls over credit card use; and notes the jury’s failure to adopt a three-year road improvement plan required to receive state road funds.

The jury last week refused requests from Juror Lea Williams, St. Francisville resident Anne Butler and The Advocate to release the report, despite 20th Judicial District Attorney Sam D’Aquilla’s opinion that the audit documents in the jury’s possession were a public record although the Legislative Auditor had not issued its report.

“The original report is not subject to the public record request from the legislative auditors, but since the jury does have a copy of this and if a request is made, the jury has to provide this to the requestor,” D’Aquilla wrote in an Aug. 20 e-mail to Jury President Ken Dawson.

(NOTE: The report and Dawson's response can be downloaded from the State) http://app1.lla.state.la.us/PublicReports.nsf/9271240EF76221298625778A0062B4A2/$FILE/00018F46.pdf

Monday’s audit report says jury financial records were disorganized; records were in multiple offices rather than a central location.

“Staff offices and floors were cluttered with records, and it was often very time consuming for the staff to find certain records (that) were requested. Without an organized filing system, Police Jury records are at risk of being misplaced, lost or accessible to unauthorized access,” the auditors wrote.

A 12-page response to the auditors’ findings, signed by Dawson, says the jury is converting to an electronic filing system that should be ready by 2012.

The auditors said jurors did not annually review Sims’ job performance, as outlined in his contract, and the raises he received last year were not tied to the annual inflation rate based on the Consumer Price Index, as required by his contract.

Neither a $5,000 raise in February 2009 nor a $25,000 raise approved in December were tied to annual inflation, the report says.

CLICK ON THE HEADLINE, ABOVE, TO SEE THE FULL ARTICLE.
Comments
101 - 108 of 108 Comments Last updated Dec 16, 2011
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
New audit report link

Baton Rouge, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2011

http://app1.lla.state.la.us/PublicReports.nsf... $FILE/00023F49.pdf

above is link to audit report of Coco and Reinhardt from 12/07/2011. Small sample below.

Former Information Services Director
From January 2009 to August 2011, Mr. Reinhardt served as the Police Jury information
services director. During this period, the Police Jury provided Mr. Reinhardt access to American
Express, Master Card, and Office Depot credit cards for business proposes. Police Jury records
indicate that on four occasions from October 2010 to November 2010, Mr. Reinhardt used
rewards certificates earned by making purchases on the Office Depot credit card to make
personal purchases totaling $235. Mr. Reinhardt’s employment was terminated on August 1,
From January 2009 to July 2011, the Police Jury earned 576 rewards certificates for
purchases made by Mr. Reinhardt using the Police Jury’s Office Depot credit card. Certificates
are valued at a dollar per point and redeemable by the cardholder. Although rewards certificates
were issued to the Police Jury, records indicate that Mr. Reinhardt changed the contact phone
number on the Office Depot account from the Police Jury’s primary office phone to his Police
Jury issued cell phone. In addition, Mr. Reinhardt placed his personal email information on the
Office Depot account.
Personal purchases Mr. Reinhardt made with rewards certificates included the following:
1. October 1, 2010 -$65.37 for two children video games and typing software
2. October 9, 2010 -$22.48 for photo supplies and trading card binder pages
3. October 11, 2010 -$16.80 for photo supplies and trading card binder pages
4. November 19, 2010 -$130.77 for ear phones, VHS to DVD computer software,
and recipe manager software
According to Ms. Welsh, Ms. Sherrel Johnson, Police Jury accounting manager, and
Mr. John Hashagen, interim parish manager - operations, Mr. Reinhardt initially stated that his
wife inadvertently used the Police Jury’s reward certificates to make the purchases but later
changed his statement and indicated he made the purchases.
By using the Police Jury’s credit cards for personal use, Ms. Coco and Mr. Reinhardt may
have violated state law.1
Pheww

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2011

Judged:

New audit report link wrote:
http://app1.lla.state.la.us/Pu blicReports.nsf/0/2787062351FF 08AF86257960005B9C66/$FILE/000 23F49.pdf
above is link to audit report of Coco and Reinhardt from 12/07/2011. Small sample below.
Former Information Services Director
From January 2009 to August 2011, Mr. Reinhardt served as the Police Jury information
services director. During this period, the Police Jury provided Mr. Reinhardt access to American
Express, Master Card, and Office Depot credit cards for business proposes. Police Jury records
indicate that on four occasions from October 2010 to November 2010, Mr. Reinhardt used
rewards certificates earned by making purchases on the Office Depot credit card to make
personal purchases totaling $235. Mr. Reinhardt’s employment was terminated on August 1,
From January 2009 to July 2011, the Police Jury earned 576 rewards certificates for
purchases made by Mr. Reinhardt using the Police Jury’s Office Depot credit card. Certificates
are valued at a dollar per point and redeemable by the cardholder. Although rewards certificates
were issued to the Police Jury, records indicate that Mr. Reinhardt changed the contact phone
number on the Office Depot account from the Police Jury’s primary office phone to his Police
Jury issued cell phone. In addition, Mr. Reinhardt placed his personal email information on the
Office Depot account.
Personal purchases Mr. Reinhardt made with rewards certificates included the following:
1. October 1, 2010 -$65.37 for two children video games and typing software
2. October 9, 2010 -$22.48 for photo supplies and trading card binder pages
3. October 11, 2010 -$16.80 for photo supplies and trading card binder pages
4. November 19, 2010 -$130.77 for ear phones, VHS to DVD computer software,
and recipe manager software
According to Ms. Welsh, Ms. Sherrel Johnson, Police Jury accounting manager, and
Mr. John Hashagen, interim parish manager - operations, Mr. Reinhardt initially stated that his
wife inadvertently used the Police Jury’s reward certificates to make the purchases but later
changed his statement and indicated he made the purchases.
By using the Police Jury’s credit cards for personal use, Ms. Coco and Mr. Reinhardt may
have violated state law.1
The assets are gone. Get over it! GEEZ! Life isn't always fair. Move on!
Cquote

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2011

Judged:

Pheww wrote:
<quoted text>The assets are gone. Get over it! GEEZ! Life isn't always fair. Move on!
I'm sorry, but you're not very bright. Your statement indicates that we should just "forgive and forget". The assets are gone so let's simply forget about it. Your attitude simply fosters more of the same and actually encourages further thievery. I hate to say it but you are one of the most dumb asses I've ever run across. As you so aptly stated...GEEZ.
Man o man

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2011

To call him a dumb ass would be paying him a compliment. He's WAY BELOW a dumb ass.
My feelings

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2011

He kinda sounds like Bill Shoemake. Is that you, Billy Boy?
Pheww

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2011

Judged:

Cquote wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sorry, but you're not very bright. Your statement indicates that we should just "forgive and forget". The assets are gone so let's simply forget about it. Your attitude simply fosters more of the same and actually encourages further thievery. I hate to say it but you are one of the most dumb asses I've ever run across. As you so aptly stated...GEEZ.
Dear AH, you apparently don't know how it works in WFP. Somebody screwed you? Let's all say "awwww. Aint that a shame!"
Pheww

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2011

My feelings wrote:
He kinda sounds like Bill Shoemake. Is that you, Billy Boy?
Noooo, its not, AH#2
My feelings

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2011

Pheww wrote:
<quoted text>Noooo, its not, AH#2
YAWN.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••