American teachers display cowardice o...

American teachers display cowardice on evolution

There are 509 comments on the www.washingtonpost.com story from Jun 5, 2011, titled American teachers display cowardice on evolution. In it, www.washingtonpost.com reports that:

The findings of the National Survey of High School Biology Teachers are genuinely dismaying. Only 28 percent of public high school biology instructors consistently use lesson plans, recommended by scientific organizations, that present evolution as the unifying theme linking different areas of biology. About 13 percent of teachers explicitly teach creationism or intelligent design in defiance of federal court decisions. The other 60 percent—the spineless majority—try to avoid controversy, often by substituting a phrase like “changes over time” for the taboo E-word.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.washingtonpost.com.

First Prev
of 26
Next Last
nina

Ottawa, Canada

#1 Jun 7, 2011
changes over time

evolution by any other name is still evolution
pat from Chicago

Milton, FL

#2 Jun 9, 2011
The untold story of American education is that 20-25% of all of our high school biology teachers are either active believers in creation science or at the very least skeptics of evolution.
I know, I know. It is like putting a Roman Catholic bishop in charge of a course on the Freemasons.

But this is America, and all you have to do in order to get your views taken seriously, no matter how silly they might be, it to say that your views are motivated by religion.
quinn the eskimo

Auburn, IN

#3 Jul 15, 2011
AGREE

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#4 Jul 15, 2011
pat from Chicago wrote:
The untold story of American education is that 20-25% of all of our high school biology teachers are either active believers in creation science or at the very least skeptics of evolution.
I know, I know. It is like putting a Roman Catholic bishop in charge of a course on the Freemasons.
But this is America, and all you have to do in order to get your views taken seriously, no matter how silly they might be, it to say that your views are motivated by religion.
Its difficult to convince stupid people. This is an age-old problem.

Its why religious cults still persist.

Kind of sad that education - the thing that actually frees people from religious cults has been hijacked by those very same religious cults.
DONT GET WITH THE PROGRAM
#5 Jul 15, 2011
What is the thing that will free us from the Democrats and their liberal tax and spend village control of peoples lives from the cradle to the grave? They will soon pass laws to control what we eat and allow our children to eat.
smith100

United States

#6 Jul 17, 2011
quinn the eskimo wrote:
AGREE
believers of not: Eolution and creations both should be taught as a theory.
I was taughgt in high school and college, also had bible classes taught in college . no one was forced to believe and bible clases were not force.1981
Chicago Guy

Evanston, IL

#7 Jul 17, 2011
smith100 wrote:
<quoted text>
I was taughgt in high school and college, also had bible classes taught in college . no one was forced to believe and bible clases were not force.1981
Didn't they offer English classes at your high school or college?
smith100

United States

#8 Jul 17, 2011
Chicago Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
yeh boy, had all that good stuff offered in the south too. a little typo or two, little mismatch, shouldn't get an old chicago boy down.
redneck

Glendale, OR

#9 Jul 17, 2011
smith100 wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution should be taught in science and creationism taught in mythology.See the definition of 'myth'.
redneck

Glendale, OR

#10 Jul 17, 2011
Chicago Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's Texas.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11 Jul 17, 2011
smith100 wrote:
<quoted text>
Cretan-ism is NOT A THEORY, doofus.

To qualify for the exalted status of scientific theory?

The idea HAS to be able to PREDICT useful information.

Evolution does that very, very well-- in fact?

ALL of modern medical science is based on scientific evolution.

All.

To date, what has Cretan-ism successfully predicted? Or discovered?

Answer: nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Not a damn thing useful has Cretan-ism contributed to knowledge.

So it AIN'T a theory.

This means it's a RELIGION.
smith100

United States

#12 Jul 17, 2011
redneck wrote:
<quoted text>Evolution should be taught in science and creationism taught in mythology.See the definition of 'myth'.
Neither has been proven to be Mythology. Both should be taught as a theory. People in the USA are not forced to believe. evolution has never been prove as a true science. their are many missing links., so it is a theory too. I have my belief, but no one forces me to believe either. In some countries,,they use guns and torture to make you believe.Thank a military man or woman for this.
smith100

United States

#13 Jul 17, 2011
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Cretan-ism is NOT A THEORY, doofus.
To qualify for the exalted status of scientific theory?
The idea HAS to be able to PREDICT useful information.
Evolution does that very, very well-- in fact?
ALL of modern medical science is based on scientific evolution.
All.
To date, what has Cretan-ism successfully predicted? Or discovered?
Answer: nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Not a damn thing useful has Cretan-ism contributed to knowledge.
So it AIN'T a theory.
This means it's a RELIGION.
Note: most people have faith in something, especailly, when life getts rough. take your pick
smith100

United States

#14 Jul 17, 2011
redneck wrote:
<quoted text>Evolution should be taught in science and creationism taught in mythology.See the definition of 'myth'.
I am fully aware of the definition of myth
redneck

Glendale, OR

#15 Jul 17, 2011
smith100 wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither has been proven to be Mythology. Both should be taught as a theory. People in the USA are not forced to believe. evolution has never been prove as a true science. their are many missing links., so it is a theory too. I have my belief, but no one forces me to believe either. In some countries,,they use guns and torture to make you believe.Thank a military man or woman for this.
You are not paying attention. Evolution is a proven scientific theory, like gravity.Experimental laws apply. Now look up 'myth'. Creationism is a religious explanation by goat hearders for why the sun comes up and things like that.Believing bull$#it won't make it true.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17 Jul 17, 2011
smith100 wrote:
<quoted text>
Note: most people have faith in something, especailly, when life getts rough. take your pick
Putting faith in REALITY?

That's one thing--

-- akin to putting your faith in the power of your car to take you places safely and at your command.

-- and also akin to trusting a college or acquaintance who you know, FROM EXPERIENCE, has not let you down before.

-- and also akin to trusting a spouse you've lived with for years.

That >>is<< a kind of "faith" of sorts.

BUT.

It is based on REALITY and EXPERIENCE OF REALITY.

Faith in gods?

That is based on FANTASY and LIES.

Always.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18 Jul 17, 2011
smith100 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am fully aware of the definition of myth
I doubt this-- you think your Holey Babble is NOT a myth, for example...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#19 Jul 17, 2011
smith100 wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither has been proven to be Mythology.
100% FALSE.

Scientific evolution? IT HAPPENED. Period. It is FACT.

There is ALSO a THEORY which explains this FACT, of course.

As for Cretain-ism? THAT HAS BEEN PROVEN 100% FALSE.

Time and time again? Cretain-ism has to BACK-DOWN IN COURT, because it is shown to be 100% FALSE.
smith100

United States

#20 Jul 17, 2011
redneck wrote:
<quoted text>You are no7030t paying attention. Evolution is a proven scientific theory, like gravity.Experimental laws apply. Now look up 'myth'. Creationism is a religious explanation by goat hearders for why the sun comes up and things like that.Believing bull$#it won't make it true.
paying very good attention, it has some good scientifice theories, but they are not proven. so has crationism.
smith100

United States

#21 Jul 17, 2011
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
100% FALSE.
Scientific evolution? IT HAPPENED. Period. It is FACT.
There is ALSO a THEORY which explains this FACT, of course.
As for Cretain-ism? THAT HAS BEEN PROVEN 100% FALSE.
Time and time again? Cretain-ism has to BACK-DOWN IN COURT, because it is shown to be 100% FALSE.
who proved it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 26
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisiana Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Judge tosses Louisianan's gay-, sex-shift-right... Dec '16 Magic Utah Uwear 1
News Critics calle for Rep. David Wallace to quit Se... (Nov '16) Nov '16 Guest 4
News Obama to tour Louisiana amid criticism that he'... (Aug '16) Oct '16 o see the light 39
News America and Israel Share a Weird Political Path... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Cath League of Du... 54
News 'Unprecedented' flooding slams Gulf Coast (Aug '16) Aug '16 Sally 10
News Former KKK grand wizard David Duke launches bid... (Jul '16) Aug '16 Unite again 2
News Thankful flood victim finds humor among devasta... (Aug '16) Aug '16 Stephany McDowell 2
More from around the web