Democrats lose bid to end tax breaks ...

Democrats lose bid to end tax breaks for oil

There are 23 comments on the DispatchPolitics story from May 18, 2011, titled Democrats lose bid to end tax breaks for oil. In it, DispatchPolitics reports that:

Senate Democrats tried yesterday to channel public anger at $4-a-gallon gasoline into passing a bill to repeal federal tax breaks and subsidies for five major oil companies, but they fell short.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at DispatchPolitics.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
HowRad

Amelia, OH

#1 May 18, 2011
Imagine that even with a dem majority
DrC Ohio

Columbus, OH

#2 May 18, 2011
Big oil is sitting back, smoking $100s, and laughing their a $$ off while republicans serve them cognac.
HowRad

Amelia, OH

#3 May 18, 2011
DrC Ohio wrote:
Big oil is sitting back, smoking $100s, and laughing their a $$ off while republicans serve them cognac.
I'm sure them dems are drinking cognac too. My guess this was a "stunt" vote, they knew ahead a time it wasn't going to pass and allowed some to make "politically" correct votes. They do that all the time.
Tea Party Tim

Blacklick, OH

#4 May 18, 2011
HowRad wrote:
Imagine that even with a dem majority
Yes, braniac...it's called a filibuster, and it requires more than a simple majority vote to break it.

Besides, the Constitution requires this type of bill to originate in the House. This was just a stunt to demonstrate that the GOP will gladly slash grandma's Medicare, but will fight to death for Big Oil welfare.
ramseyjames

United States

#5 May 18, 2011
a bill to repeal federal tax breaks and subsidies for five major oil companies,...Three Democrats - Sens. Mary Landrieu of Louisiana, Mark Begich of Alaska and Ben Nelson of Nebraska - voted against the measure...The Big Five oil companies' profits totaled about $35billion in THIS YEARS FIRST QUARTER! Every voter in Louisiana, Alaska and Nebraska should now know were these phony politicians loyalty lies, and who they REALLY work for! Although these three are not the EXCEPTION, THEY ARE THE RULE!
HowRad

Amelia, OH

#6 May 18, 2011
Tea Party Tim wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, braniac...it's called a filibuster, and it requires more than a simple majority vote to break it.
Besides, the Constitution requires this type of bill to originate in the House. This was just a stunt to demonstrate that the GOP will gladly slash grandma's Medicare, but will fight to death for Big Oil welfare.
Well at least you realize it might be a stunt vote, I'm sure if it had been a real push more dems would have been voting with the majority of repubs because when it comes down to the bottom line both parties cater to big business
Tea Party Tim

Blacklick, OH

#7 May 18, 2011
HowRad wrote:
<quoted text>
Well at least you realize it might be a stunt vote, I'm sure if it had been a real push more dems would have been voting with the majority of repubs because when it comes down to the bottom line both parties cater to big business
Are you fully literate? The article clearly says that the vote to end the filibuster was a majority of 52-48, short of the 60 votes needed for cloture. So what "majority of repubs" are you speaking of?

Commenting on the story without even reading it is lame internet trolling. Get back under your bridge!
Just the Facts

Columbus, OH

#8 May 18, 2011
What?!

Democrats lose?!

I AM DISENFRANCHISED! This is against my constitutional rights! Racism is the reason!

Just the Facts
Chicago Guy

Evanston, IL

#9 May 18, 2011
HowRad wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure them dems are drinking cognac too. My guess this was a "stunt" vote, they knew ahead a time it wasn't going to pass and allowed some to make "politically" correct votes. They do that all the time.
You mean, like the House GOP repealing "Obamacare"?
Just the Facts

Columbus, OH

#10 May 18, 2011
Chicago Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Republicans have no constitutional rights.
Democrats need only apply.

Just the Facts.
HowRad

Amelia, OH

#11 May 18, 2011
Chicago Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sort of, but we have to keep Obamacare around a little longer. The longer it is around the more it stinks and more those who voted for it will pay. But if you remmeber the repealing tha Obamacare "passed" the house.
Ohia

New York, NY

#12 May 18, 2011
Repealing the tax breaks will simply add the the price at the pump. Big companies dont absorb taxes - they pass it along ot the customers. Your $4 gas could end up being $4.50... so be careful what you wish for. Youre going to pay either way!

Alternative - dump your SUV, drive as little as reasonably possible, utilize public transportation and carpool. Sounds like Europe doesnt it (where there ARENT subsidies).

“jimmy agler”

Since: Jul 09

grandview hts

#13 May 18, 2011
everyone of us, no matter what party or political leaning have one thing in common. we are all getting rogered by big oil and rather than unite to do anything about it you guys all sit here and try to blame the other side. no wonder nothing ever gets done. the big companies might write big checks to campaigns but a ceo only gets to vote once, same as you. everyone blames washington for partisan gridlock but the truth is we caused it. this is one issue that any sane person can see needs addressed but you are all to busy trying to score points on each other. the big 5 oil companies made a combined 35 BILLION in the first quarter ,,,i think they can get by without our tax dollars. also could someone please ask exxon when or if they ever plan on paying off the valdez disaster?
Chicago Guy

Evanston, IL

#14 May 18, 2011
HowRad wrote:
<quoted text>
Sort of, but we have to keep Obamacare around a little longer. The longer it is around the more it stinks and more those who voted for it will pay. But if you remmeber the repealing tha Obamacare "passed" the house.
Yes, it passed the House in a "stunt" vote by GOP lawmakers.

That was precisely my point.
Chicago Guy

Evanston, IL

#15 May 18, 2011
Ohia wrote:
Repealing the tax breaks will simply add the the price at the pump. Big companies dont absorb taxes - they pass it along ot the customers. Your $4 gas could end up being $4.50... so be careful what you wish for. Youre going to pay either way!
Alternative - dump your SUV, drive as little as reasonably possible, utilize public transportation and carpool. Sounds like Europe doesnt it (where there ARENT subsidies).
We hear this argument over and over form conservatives.

But is the converse not true?

I mean, we give them billions in tax cuts so we DON'T have to "absorb" the costs of new exploration and drilling.... yet they make world-record profits of $35 BILLION, while the price of gas more than DOUBLES, anyway.

So the notion that we're not seeing cost hikes passed on to us now seems ludicrous, frankly. Seemingly we can either end the tax cuts, and they'll screw us, or we can extend the tax cuts... and they'll screw us anyway.

It's hard to make a convincing argument for leaving the tax cuts in place.
Chicago Guy

Evanston, IL

#16 May 18, 2011
Just the Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Republicans have no constitutional rights.
Democrats need only apply.
Just the Facts.
I don't understand this post.
HowRad

Amelia, OH

#17 May 18, 2011
Chicago Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
I mean, we give them billions in tax cuts so we DON'T have to "absorb" the costs of new exploration and drilling.... yet they make world-record profits of $35 BILLION, while the price of gas more than DOUBLES, anyway.
So the notion that we're not seeing cost hikes passed on to us now seems ludicrous, frankly. Seemingly we can either end the tax cuts, and they'll screw us, or we can extend the tax cuts... and they'll screw us anyway.
Do away with the tax cuts, fine with me but also get rid of the subsidies for alternative energy sources. We shouldn't be funding business when it is the business that profits from it.
Sick of Stupid

Davenport, IA

#18 May 18, 2011
Gas prices never go down.
Bob

Alexander City, AL

#19 May 18, 2011
ramseyjames wrote:
a bill to repeal federal tax breaks and subsidies for five major oil companies,...Three Democrats - Sens. Mary Landrieu of Louisiana, Mark Begich of Alaska and Ben Nelson of Nebraska - voted against the measure...The Big Five oil companies' profits totaled about $35billion in THIS YEARS FIRST QUARTER! Every voter in Louisiana, Alaska and Nebraska should now know were these phony politicians loyalty lies, and who they REALLY work for! Although these three are not the EXCEPTION, THEY ARE THE RULE!
And ramseyjames does not understand the differance between a 35 billion dollar profit and return on the dollar. The return on the dollar is much higher for Pharma, cosmetics and alcohol than oil. Since the big five are so huge, the dollar amount they rake in is huge. As far as investing, big oil is returning about 8%, not that great. Since Landrieu is a senator from a state that produces oil, her loyalty lies with the group that employs her constituants, it's not that difficult to understand.
Bob

Alexander City, AL

#20 May 18, 2011
Chicago Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Another idiot that does not understand the differance between profit and profit margin.
It is no surprise that so many lefties are happy with Social Security, you do not comprehend return on the dollar. Why do so many that think big oil is reaping record returns yet choose not to invest in their stock, you would be rich right ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisiana Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obama to tour Louisiana amid criticism that he'... 5 hr Synque 27
News 'Unprecedented' flooding slams Gulf Coast Tue Eternal truth 10
News Former KKK grand wizard David Duke launches bid... Aug 22 Unite again 2
News Thankful flood victim finds humor among devasta... Aug 22 Stephany McDowell 2
News Jeff Sadow: Public should not let Edwards fool it Jun '16 julikemp 1
News Judge Orders Louisiana to Continue Funding Plan... (Oct '15) Apr '16 private guy 60
News Relief on way for public defenders office Apr '16 yocki2009 1
More from around the web