|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

Norskelt wrote:
SNJ
Forgot to add...Lately how I see things to be...If you work hard all your life and own things, you are treated less kindly by government in U.S.
If you don't own things..And there are some people who do work very hard but, have fallen on hard times, however, their are other individuals who don't care to work..Anyway, If you don't own things the government treats you better and there are many incentives for these individuals. I don't know how this came to be but, people feel as if they have been scolded by government for doing the right thing. The middle class here has been paying the most into government. It doesn't seem right.
Many people here would say the same thing, and rightly so. It is the middle class everywhere (normally the biggest in numbers too) that provide the lion's share of the costs of society.
But it is difficult to see how that can be different...except that those who earn the most will have to contribute the most. When there is general consensus for that it works.
Where are the borderlines for justice? We also know that much wants more and those who can best afford the extra "burdens" are those who whine the most (at least here that used to be the case).
Today I think that kind of whining has faded and is at a minimum - hardly noticable. Perhaps due to we having had very good times for decades now.
"The blue-eyed Arabs" as we were named after becoming an oil exporting country.

“Howdy”

Since: Dec 06

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

Norskelt wrote:
<quoted text>
Girls in TN materialistic? I always preferred the guy with the old beat up truck. More character and not a girly girl.
We had a station wagon when we were young. It had a hole in the floor in the back...you were able to watch the street move past you. After my sister threw two pair of shoes in the hole, my parents had it welded up. They use to throw our pillows and sleeping bags in the back and take us to the drive in movie. I think people may have had large families back then, thanks in part to station wagons and double feature films.-LOL
LOL. I used to know a man that moved from Michigan and the passenger floor board was completely ate up from salt I guess. He had a wooden board over it. His fenders flapped when going down the road, hood and trunk tied down with rope.

“Howdy”

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

Norskelt wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm, I wonder how he ended up with the nickname Slick Willy?
Anything to do with cigars and KY jelley?

“Howdy”

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

Norskelt wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, right now it's 8% and they say it won't be long before the end of the year, that it may reach 10%. I can only hope it doesn't go above that.
Construction and remodeling is booming in my town.

Now the stimulus package is suppose to give jobs to people wanting work in the road constuction.
It's said now a whole lot of illegal Mexicans will be getting those jobs because our beloved government of now isn't requiring the employers to do a citizen check.
SNJ

Norway

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

Health: I read now that an American "research" has concluded that "religious kids are more healthy".
What is going on within "research" over there?
I wonder who pay the costs and salaries of such a research.....??

Since: Jan 09

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

SNJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting.
Rough comparison: Family of 5 here. Social security scheme takes care of all medical treatment free of charge. Hospitals free. Medicines. Medicines required for single, short term cases we pay ourselves. For patients with chronic deseases (diabetes/heart patients etc)the patient pays
a certain part limited to a ttl of max $250 per year. All expenses above that are absorbed by the
public health system.
We pay for this by a certain part of the tax deductions in average about 7% of gross income.
For the majority of people that adds up to some 20-40% of your insurance costs of $845 per month.
We also buy private insurance policies such as a life insurance, accident insurance policies to cover needs above the minimum provided by the social security system in case of permanent disabilty, loss of working ability - or partly lost ability. You can chose the size of the policy of course and pay accordingly. Many people
enter into a "life-debt" kind of insurance to fit
the family's debt in case of death / permanent desease of the providing member(s)(= husband a/o wife)- allowing the family to keep their home with all debts paid down in case of death/permanent disabilty.
Impossible to compare exactly - but seems that our public health scheme leaves us with a bill of less than half of yours - and "price" (tax) for this is predictable for years ahead (more or less fixed price - automatic increase when income increases (tax as a percentage of income).
BUT: we are taxed also indirectly through sales taxes (=VAT) of 25% and special taxes on cars and gasoline etc.etc. So at the end of the day our TOTAL taxes and expenses may very well prove to exceed yours. If you lose your job and income here you still enjoy free health care without paying the (7%) tax. I guess when someone loses job/income at yours and being unable to pay the monthly premium (845)you have no cover???
I forgot to add dental and vision are included in my health plan. I'm going to drop Mike and I dental because we don't use it that much. We'll pay for cleanings or fillings ourselves and save roughly $80 per month. We'll keep the kids dental.
People with chronic illness have a hard time acquiring coverage. Another shouldn't be.
We only have a life insurance policy and 529 plans (college fund) for the boys. No retirement.
I withdrew my 401k back in 1998 to help buy our first home. Mike has a business and if he failed at it, we would have no coverage. I would have to go back to work and carry the coverage...which I intend to do soon anyway.
They payment into health insurance should go according to salary. I think when a woman is pregnant...they should pay more into health insurance for the first two years. This the only thing I can think of that will help the elderly by keeping the cost of theirs down. Oh if they don't use it often, the elderly should be reimbursed because the younger generation is healthy enough to work.

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

SNJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Many people here would say the same thing, and rightly so. It is the middle class everywhere (normally the biggest in numbers too) that provide the lion's share of the costs of society.
But it is difficult to see how that can be different...except that those who earn the most will have to contribute the most. When there is general consensus for that it works.
Where are the borderlines for justice? We also know that much wants more and those who can best afford the extra "burdens" are those who whine the most (at least here that used to be the case).
Today I think that kind of whining has faded and is at a minimum - hardly noticable. Perhaps due to we having had very good times for decades now.
"The blue-eyed Arabs" as we were named after becoming an oil exporting country.
Our government would have to figure out who the lazy individuals are that take advantage of incentives. I don't know how they would do that but, it would help greatly.
I find with my husbands customers...middle class never argues payments and pays contracts on time. His wealthy clients try and chew down pricing and usually skate around contract payments. Today (Saturday) he has a wealthy client that has avoided his bill for three weeks. He's finally agreed to meet Mike this morning to make payment. Hooray!

“Howdy”

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

SNJ wrote:
Health: I read now that an American "research" has concluded that "religious kids are more healthy".
I read that all religion is in decline especially Christianity here.

“Howdy”

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

SNJ wrote:
Is it because religious kids don't go around screwing everything in site like Liberal kids do?

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

Rockytopzz wrote:
<quoted text>LOL. I used to know a man that moved from Michigan and the passenger floor board was completely ate up from salt I guess. He had a wooden board over it. His fenders flapped when going down the road, hood and trunk tied down with rope.
LOL-Sounds like the cars Mike use to drive when we first starting dating. Oh have to tell you this one. When we were dating...he was a commercial shell fisherman. He had a truck that was a big old hunk of junk. He would put unwashed nets with dead fish and shell fish in the back of his truck. My dad would yell at him to park it down the block because every fly in the neighborhood was swarming in front of the house. I made him pull over a few times on dates so I was able to throw up! No lie. After the first month of dating...we started taking my car out instead.

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

Rockytopzz wrote:
<quoted text>Anything to do with cigars and KY jelley?
I sure hope he didn't inhale on those cigars after he used them.

“Howdy”

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

Norskelt wrote:
<quoted text>
Our government would have to figure out who the lazy individuals are that take advantage of incentives. I don't know how they would do that but, it would help greatly.
I find with my husbands customers...middle class never argues payments and pays contracts on time. His wealthy clients try and chew down pricing and usually skate around contract payments. Today (Saturday) he has a wealthy client that has avoided his bill for three weeks. He's finally agreed to meet Mike this morning to make payment. Hooray!
My step-father is having trouble collecting off a real estate buisness that he roofed for.

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

Rockytopzz wrote:
<quoted text>Construction and remodeling is booming in my town.
Now the stimulus package is suppose to give jobs to people wanting work in the road constuction.
It's said now a whole lot of illegal Mexicans will be getting those jobs because our beloved government of now isn't requiring the employers to do a citizen check.
Mike has a construction company to. Business is not doing so well here. Illegals are a big problem in NY.
He's wanted to leave Long Island for a long time but, he's talking about selling off the business. He wants to move badly and I think I have no choice but, to give in. He wants to get out of the business all together. It was very good to us at one time but, in the past couple of months it hasn't been. And last evening he discussed that he will have to take some personal funds of ours and place it into his business. I didn't know he was having a hard time. He tends to keep things to himself.

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

SNJ wrote:
Now that's strange. It would make more sense if they stated whether it was physical or mental health. They research everything over here...even if it's the most absurd subject matter.
Some research is private and some our tax dollars. They should publicly print what research is public and private and let us vote on it.

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

Rockytopzz wrote:
<quoted text>My step-father is having trouble collecting off a real estate buisness that he roofed for.
This is what angers me. Here your step dad paid for materials and put his time into the work...his time is of value and he has to pay his employees. Some people don't realize, they can place many men out of work and lose a business. Some people have no conscience.
welldiger

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

move to melson ridge

“Howdy”

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

Norskelt wrote:
<quoted text>
Mike has a construction company to. Business is not doing so well here. Illegals are a big problem in NY.
He's wanted to leave Long Island for a long time but, he's talking about selling off the business. He wants to move badly and I think I have no choice but, to give in. He wants to get out of the business all together. It was very good to us at one time but, in the past couple of months it hasn't been. And last evening he discussed that he will have to take some personal funds of ours and place it into his business. I didn't know he was having a hard time. He tends to keep things to himself.
Move out to Kentucky and Tennesee, the high winds keep blowing the shingles off.
My step-father is asking me if I want to take over the buisness with all the tools and such.
He's about ready to retire, he had a good 30 years here.

“Howdy”

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

Norskelt wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what angers me. Here your step dad paid for materials and put his time into the work...his time is of value and he has to pay his employees. Some people don't realize, they can place many men out of work and lose a business. Some people have no conscience.
They're only nice when they are selling YOU a home.

What my step-father found out from an insurance agent here is all the roofing buisnesses are underestimating the roofs. The owners add quite a bit of money to the estimate and when the insurance pays they pocket the add on that should go to the roofers.
Martia

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

Rockytopzz wrote:
<quoted text>Construction and remodeling is booming in my town.
This has been going on in TX for yrs. That is why business owners have been so profitable. They have contracts and hire illegals to do the work. They don't always check everything out, and I'm thinking what a mess they made of the SS records when their number belongs to someone else. My son in 28 and his ID has been stolen a few times. I haven't seen his SS report, but then maybe they're not sending them out until one is 30 or 40 yrs old.

“Bryant Park”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

This is formerly Norskelt. I had a problem earlier today with Topix. It didn't let me sign in and it could be I have the wrong password. I've never signed out of it before. I had to make another email address to start a new log in. I'll try it again later...if not I'll retire it and keep this one.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kentucky Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min Straw Grasping Te... 150,885
Supreme Court: Was gay marriage settled in 1972... 5 min TomInElPaso 328
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 7 hr Khatru 130,415
Fugitive- Donald Eugene Webb-(DEW) . 10 hr Wimpy 1
Job Corps is worth a second look (Mar '09) 12 hr Ren and stimpy 587
breast augmentation/boob job questions (Mar '09) 13 hr Sandy 73
Miller Faces Parole Board (Oct '07) 16 hr countertruth 6

Search the Kentucky Forum:
•••