Living in Kentucky

Since: Jan 09

New York, NY

#6413 Mar 14, 2009
SNJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Many people here would say the same thing, and rightly so. It is the middle class everywhere (normally the biggest in numbers too) that provide the lion's share of the costs of society.
But it is difficult to see how that can be different...except that those who earn the most will have to contribute the most. When there is general consensus for that it works.
Where are the borderlines for justice? We also know that much wants more and those who can best afford the extra "burdens" are those who whine the most (at least here that used to be the case).
Today I think that kind of whining has faded and is at a minimum - hardly noticable. Perhaps due to we having had very good times for decades now.
"The blue-eyed Arabs" as we were named after becoming an oil exporting country.
Our government would have to figure out who the lazy individuals are that take advantage of incentives. I don't know how they would do that but, it would help greatly.
I find with my husbands customers...middle class never argues payments and pays contracts on time. His wealthy clients try and chew down pricing and usually skate around contract payments. Today (Saturday) he has a wealthy client that has avoided his bill for three weeks. He's finally agreed to meet Mike this morning to make payment. Hooray!

“Howdy”

Since: Dec 06

Paris, TN

#6414 Mar 14, 2009
SNJ wrote:
Health: I read now that an American "research" has concluded that "religious kids are more healthy".
What is going on within "research" over there?
I wonder who pay the costs and salaries of such a research.....??
I read that all religion is in decline especially Christianity here.

“Howdy”

Paris, TN

#6415 Mar 14, 2009
SNJ wrote:
Health: I read now that an American "research" has concluded that "religious kids are more healthy".
Is it because religious kids don't go around screwing everything in site like Liberal kids do?

New York, NY

#6416 Mar 14, 2009
Rockytopzz wrote:
<quoted text>LOL. I used to know a man that moved from Michigan and the passenger floor board was completely ate up from salt I guess. He had a wooden board over it. His fenders flapped when going down the road, hood and trunk tied down with rope.
LOL-Sounds like the cars Mike use to drive when we first starting dating. Oh have to tell you this one. When we were dating...he was a commercial shell fisherman. He had a truck that was a big old hunk of junk. He would put unwashed nets with dead fish and shell fish in the back of his truck. My dad would yell at him to park it down the block because every fly in the neighborhood was swarming in front of the house. I made him pull over a few times on dates so I was able to throw up! No lie. After the first month of dating...we started taking my car out instead.

New York, NY

#6417 Mar 14, 2009
Rockytopzz wrote:
<quoted text>Anything to do with cigars and KY jelley?
I sure hope he didn't inhale on those cigars after he used them.

“Howdy”

Paris, TN

#6418 Mar 14, 2009
Norskelt wrote:
<quoted text>
Our government would have to figure out who the lazy individuals are that take advantage of incentives. I don't know how they would do that but, it would help greatly.
I find with my husbands customers...middle class never argues payments and pays contracts on time. His wealthy clients try and chew down pricing and usually skate around contract payments. Today (Saturday) he has a wealthy client that has avoided his bill for three weeks. He's finally agreed to meet Mike this morning to make payment. Hooray!
My step-father is having trouble collecting off a real estate buisness that he roofed for.

New York, NY

#6419 Mar 14, 2009
Rockytopzz wrote:
<quoted text>Construction and remodeling is booming in my town.
Now the stimulus package is suppose to give jobs to people wanting work in the road constuction.
It's said now a whole lot of illegal Mexicans will be getting those jobs because our beloved government of now isn't requiring the employers to do a citizen check.
Mike has a construction company to. Business is not doing so well here. Illegals are a big problem in NY.
He's wanted to leave Long Island for a long time but, he's talking about selling off the business. He wants to move badly and I think I have no choice but, to give in. He wants to get out of the business all together. It was very good to us at one time but, in the past couple of months it hasn't been. And last evening he discussed that he will have to take some personal funds of ours and place it into his business. I didn't know he was having a hard time. He tends to keep things to himself.

New York, NY

#6420 Mar 14, 2009
SNJ wrote:
Now that's strange. It would make more sense if they stated whether it was physical or mental health. They research everything over here...even if it's the most absurd subject matter.
Some research is private and some our tax dollars. They should publicly print what research is public and private and let us vote on it.

New York, NY

#6421 Mar 14, 2009
Rockytopzz wrote:
<quoted text>My step-father is having trouble collecting off a real estate buisness that he roofed for.
This is what angers me. Here your step dad paid for materials and put his time into the work...his time is of value and he has to pay his employees. Some people don't realize, they can place many men out of work and lose a business. Some people have no conscience.
welldiger

United States

#6422 Mar 14, 2009
move to melson ridge

“Howdy”

Paris, TN

#6423 Mar 14, 2009
Norskelt wrote:
<quoted text>
Mike has a construction company to. Business is not doing so well here. Illegals are a big problem in NY.
He's wanted to leave Long Island for a long time but, he's talking about selling off the business. He wants to move badly and I think I have no choice but, to give in. He wants to get out of the business all together. It was very good to us at one time but, in the past couple of months it hasn't been. And last evening he discussed that he will have to take some personal funds of ours and place it into his business. I didn't know he was having a hard time. He tends to keep things to himself.
Move out to Kentucky and Tennesee, the high winds keep blowing the shingles off.
My step-father is asking me if I want to take over the buisness with all the tools and such.
He's about ready to retire, he had a good 30 years here.

“Howdy”

Paris, TN

#6424 Mar 14, 2009
Norskelt wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what angers me. Here your step dad paid for materials and put his time into the work...his time is of value and he has to pay his employees. Some people don't realize, they can place many men out of work and lose a business. Some people have no conscience.
They're only nice when they are selling YOU a home.

What my step-father found out from an insurance agent here is all the roofing buisnesses are underestimating the roofs. The owners add quite a bit of money to the estimate and when the insurance pays they pocket the add on that should go to the roofers.
Martia

Austin, TX

#6425 Mar 14, 2009
Rockytopzz wrote:
<quoted text>Construction and remodeling is booming in my town.
Now the stimulus package is suppose to give jobs to people wanting work in the road constuction.
It's said now a whole lot of illegal Mexicans will be getting those jobs because our beloved government of now isn't requiring the employers to do a citizen check.
This has been going on in TX for yrs. That is why business owners have been so profitable. They have contracts and hire illegals to do the work. They don't always check everything out, and I'm thinking what a mess they made of the SS records when their number belongs to someone else. My son in 28 and his ID has been stolen a few times. I haven't seen his SS report, but then maybe they're not sending them out until one is 30 or 40 yrs old.

“Bryant Park”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#6426 Mar 14, 2009
This is formerly Norskelt. I had a problem earlier today with Topix. It didn't let me sign in and it could be I have the wrong password. I've never signed out of it before. I had to make another email address to start a new log in. I'll try it again later...if not I'll retire it and keep this one.

“Bryant Park”

Location hidden

#6427 Mar 14, 2009
Rockytopzz wrote:
<quoted text>Move out to Kentucky and Tennesee, the high winds keep blowing the shingles off.
My step-father is asking me if I want to take over the buisness with all the tools and such.
He has a bond out on a condo complex and should be receiving their last payment next month. It'll help replenish some (not all) of personal savings. We certainly won't be taking vacation any time soon. Time to tighten the reigns. It could be a heck of a lot worse though.
Mike's parents are moving to Johnson City TN. I like TN and Kentucky. We were just in KY this past December.
It sounds as if it is a good business to take over. With thirty years in, you have a built up clientele which is wonderful. That is the hardest thing to do when starting a business...building up your reputation and name. It's just all the paperwork, chasing your money and employee headaches that increase the risk of a stroke.

“Bryant Park”

Location hidden

#6428 Mar 14, 2009
Rockytopzz wrote:
<quoted text>They're only nice when they are selling YOU a home.
What my step-father found out from an insurance agent here is all the roofing buisnesses are underestimating the roofs. The owners add quite a bit of money to the estimate and when the insurance pays they pocket the add on that should go to the roofers.
They do the same thing here to.

“Bryant Park”

Location hidden

#6429 Mar 14, 2009
Rockytopzz wrote:
<quoted text>Move out to Kentucky and Tennesee, the high winds keep blowing the shingles off.
Mike wants to buy a farm.-LOL We visit my cousins in Missouri (my relatives with the cattle ranch) and he pictures himself living like them. I shouldn't laugh at him because he is serious. When we visit...he helps my cousin Les with the farm chores and Mike's learned quite a bit through the years. The only books he own are a biography of Teddy Roosevelt and at least 15 books on raising cattle.
This is why we were in Kentucky in December. This man drives me crazy but it's one of the reasons why I like him so much.
SNJ

Norway

#6430 Mar 15, 2009
Norskelt wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, some times (often!)lack of cash is not the
reason for late payments - some people are just like that. Unfortunately too often they get away with it too and "gain" wealth by acting nasty
and trying to run away from their obligations or agreements entered into, hopeing at least to get
a reduction in price...one-time customers.
SNJ

Norway

#6431 Mar 15, 2009
Norskelt wrote:
<quoted text>
Cash up front next time !
SNJ

Norway

#6432 Mar 15, 2009
Rockytopzz wrote:
<quoted text>I read that all religion is in decline especially Christianity here.
So one may expect deteriorating kid-health in the US from now on then?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kentucky Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min Calvin_Coolish 182,805
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 36 min ChromiuMan 138,119
News Hillary Clinton rolls out the pantsuit tee 14 hr Kar 43
News Job Corps is worth a second look (Mar '09) May 26 Yolanda Evans 588
News Kentucky Governor's Race 2015: Matt Bevin Lies ... May 26 Cordwainer Trout 2
News PSC approves purchase agreement for biomass pla... (Oct '13) May 23 Conservative in K... 74
News Recount looms after just 83 votes separate top ... May 22 Le Jimbo 12
More from around the web