Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 169995 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

betterlatethanne ver

Creston, IA

#80158 Jun 13, 2012
EssentialSalts wrote:
<quoted text>
I already did. If you're religious, I suggest you red it and take it in for what it truly is rather than accepting what your preacher tells you it is.
What do you think it truly is? I think different preachers have different interpretations of it? So how can anyone be mean to someone with a different opinion, if that was how the person was taught when he was little and was told was "right"? Children are taught things in school and told they are correct. Maybe some of them are not correct. But should we be mean to them if someone taught them the wrong thing? It wasn't their fault, and they were not old enough to know better. They are taught to believe and obey adults in authority. But if they are taught not to believe adults in authority, things could get very chaotic. What do you suggest is the solution to these sort of problems? I am curious what you recommend.
Reverend Boyardee

Russell Springs, KY

#80159 Jun 13, 2012
betterlatethannever wrote:
<quoted text> What do you think it truly is? I think different preachers have different interpretations of it? So how can anyone be mean to someone with a different opinion, if that was how the person was taught when he was little and was told was "right"? Children are taught things in school and told they are correct. Maybe some of them are not correct. But should we be mean to them if someone taught them the wrong thing? It wasn't their fault, and they were not old enough to know better. They are taught to believe and obey adults in authority. But if they are taught not to believe adults in authority, things could get very chaotic. What do you suggest is the solution to these sort of problems? I am curious what you recommend.
I'll tell you what I think it is.
It is a book written by secretive and hidden extra-dimensional beings who have trapped us on this world and in this dimension. In each of us is a fragment of what we were before we were trapped here. Upon death, that fragment (the "soul") is released. If someone is tricked into praying to a god that doesn't exist being a fragment of a god themselves, the fragment is routed to a dark, bleak world until it is recycled into another body. If we reject the lies, our fragment escapes this world and rejoins the other fragments that have escaped through the ages. We are far from whole because the majority of Us are slaves to organized religion.
This theory answers many more questions that christianity can.
Of course I'm "crazy" and "doomed to hell" for thinking anything else but I haven't heard anything better lately.
sneaking one in_ ss

El Dorado Hills, CA

#80160 Jun 13, 2012
NSE (New Science Evidence)
Alpha 1:1
“The fool says in his heart,‘There is a God.’”
Alpha 1:2
For centuries men will not put up with sound scientific evidence. Instead listen to the ravings of crazy hell-fire followers and end of time bible thumpers. They will gather around them a great number of pagan teachers to teach them unsound scientific data based on untested and zero evidence.
Alpha 1:3
In time all the religious doctrines will be place along side of mythical teachings as mythology books, then man will advance in science and good will. Until that time comes the Armageddon welcoming committee will continue war and suffering on earth.
Alpha 1.4
Continue steadfast comrades until "Babylon the Great" has fallen. Refute the doctrines of the religion when contrary to true science and history.
Alpha 1:5
So say we all

“Memento mori”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#80161 Jun 13, 2012
<quoted text> What do you think it truly is? I think different preachers have different interpretations of it? So how can anyone be mean to someone with a different opinion, if that was how the person was taught when he was little and was told was "right"? Children are taught things in school and told they are correct. Maybe some of them are not correct. But should we be mean to them if someone taught them the wrong thing? It wasn't their fault, and they were not old enough to know better. They are taught to believe and obey adults in authority. But if they are taught not to believe adults in authority, things could get very chaotic. What do you suggest is the solution to these sort of problems? I am curious what you recommend.
First of all, I don't think people should mistreat others because of their beliefs. Criticize their beliefs? Fine. But don't bully or harass.

What you said with preachers goes along with my point._They_ have different interpretations and they share those with an audience. People will accept what their preacher says because they think "He's well versed in the bible, he's studied this, so he knows what he's talking about." I happen to think it would be better if people read the bible themselves and developed their own interpretation of it rather than having someone else give them their interpretation.

"What do you think it truly is?"
When I said that, I meant just reading it and taking in the information to figure out what it actually means to you.

As for teaching kids in school, if a teacher is teaching something wrong in school, that can be corrected. What they're teaching isn't meant to be opinion-based, and the problem can be resolved without things becoming chaotic. I don't understand the link between school, teaching kids to not obey authority figures and chaos.

The thing is, a lot of people abuse their authoritative power. I would teach kids that we have rules and authority figures to maintain order, and while they should listen to those figures, they do fault every now and then, but that's no excuse for the kids to do as they please.
sneaking one in_ ss

El Dorado Hills, CA

#80162 Jun 13, 2012
just saying wrote:
<quoted text>
And it'll never get any better. You got to understand, people's passion for their religion stems from many tributaries. Examples: "If I acknowledge another theory, I'm blashpeming and I'll go to hell." "If I doubt my faith, I may abandon it and therefore have wasted years of my life to a fallacy." "My mama and daddy would disown me if I stopped going to church." Ect.
The truth is you are one of the lucky ones. You are gifted with an inquisitive mind and courage to stand up and ask, "why?" You can't argue with these nuts because to give up the argument means damnation for them and fear is the force behind many's faith in that blood-stained book.
Well said.
Zealot

Russell Springs, KY

#80163 Jun 13, 2012
Would our touch screen I-Pads appear to be magic to, let's say, a human living during the Civil War?

No one gets to choose anything anymore. We're told what "the #1 movie in America" is each week. We're told what car we should get based on the safety ratings, not our preference for style.

No one can make fun of anything nor anyone anymore. It's not politically correct. People didn't used to be this touchy.

Religion, media, military and monetary control of the world has always been vested in a handful, not society.

The "end of the world" will be triggered global economic collapse, oil depletion or lack of clean water and/or food brought on by man. Not Al-Qaeda or the antichrist.

People yearn for a return to the values of yesteryear and get mad when they find on scraps of those values they remember from their youth.

Is what's happening to us our progressive advance or manipulated destiny?
sneaking one in_ ss

El Dorado Hills, CA

#80164 Jun 13, 2012
EssentialSalts wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, I don't think people should mistreat others because of their beliefs. Criticize their beliefs? Fine. But don't bully or harass.
What you said with preachers goes along with my point._They_ have different interpretations and they share those with an audience. People will accept what their preacher says because they think "He's well versed in the bible, he's studied this, so he knows what he's talking about." I happen to think it would be better if people read the bible themselves and developed their own interpretation of it rather than having someone else give them their interpretation.
"What do you think it truly is?"
When I said that, I meant just reading it and taking in the information to figure out what it actually means to you.
As for teaching kids in school, if a teacher is teaching something wrong in school, that can be corrected. What they're teaching isn't meant to be opinion-based, and the problem can be resolved without things becoming chaotic. I don't understand the link between school, teaching kids to not obey authority figures and chaos.
The thing is, a lot of people abuse their authoritative power. I would teach kids that we have rules and authority figures to maintain order, and while they should listen to those figures, they do fault every now and then, but that's no excuse for the kids to do as they please.
Well said, you're Sensei.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#80165 Jun 13, 2012
<quoted text> What do you mean by the word "enlightened"? What books do you think people should read instead of the Bible? or in addition to it?(Do you mean instead of, or in addition to?)
Enlightened

merriam-webster

Concentrate

merriam-webster

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#80166 Jun 13, 2012
Yes and Amen said, "The alien thing, only pushes back the problem of Who made them."

He has officially covered his a$$ if we discover there actually ARE aliens.

Wherever planet they came from, it's most important to know who made them.
And he can state positively that goddidit.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#80167 Jun 13, 2012
Reverend Boyardee wrote:
If the bible is going to be taught, I want my doctrine taught as well. Behold!

The Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) is a satirical deity used in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster to promote Pastafarianism, a parody religious movement that challenges the intelligent design form of creationism promulgated by the Seattle, Washington based Discovery Institute. The "Flying Spaghetti Monster" was first described in an open letter written by Bobby Henderson in 2005 that used satire to protest the the Kansas State Board of Education decision to permit teaching intelligent design as an alternative to evolution in public school science classes.In that letter, Henderson parodied the concept of intelligent design by professing belief in a supernatural creator that closely resembles spaghetti and meatballs. Henderson further called for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism to be allotted equal time in science classrooms alongside intelligent design and evolution.

After Henderson published the letter on his website, the Flying Spaghetti Monster rapidly became an Internet phenomenon and a symbol used against teaching intelligent design in public schools.Pastafarian "beliefs" are generally satires of creationism. They are presented both on Henderson's Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster website, where he is described as "prophet", and in The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, written by Henderson and published by Villiard Press in 2006. The central belief is that an invisible and undetectable Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe. Pirates are revered as the original Pastafarians (a portmanteau of pasta and Rastafarian), and Henderson asserts that the steady decline in the number of pirates over the years has resulted in global warming.[4] The FSM community currently congregates at Henderson's website to share ideas and crafts devoted to the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Due to its popularity and exposure, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is often used as a contemporary version of Russell's teapot – an argument that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon those who make unfalsifiable claims, not on those who reject them. While generally praised by the media and endorsed by members of the scientific community, the Flying Spaghetti Monster has received criticism from proponents of the creationist "intelligent design" philosophy. Self-described Pastafarians have engaged in religious disputes, including in Polk County, Florida, where they played a role in dissuading the local school board from adopting new rules on teaching evolution.

The FSM has as much credibility as evolution and christian's magic creation theory, just not the seniority.
I have been touched by His Noodly Appendage! Arrr! Heave to or feel me wrath!

May your penne remain eternally al dente!

Location hidden

#80168 Jun 13, 2012
<quoted text>Why can't we teach practical science matters to those who are just interested in something very useful for their life and work? And teach academic type science for those who are very interested and able to study and understand scientific information and theories and methocs. That way the first group would not slow down the second group. The first group would not be made to feel dumb if they did not understand complicated things they don't see a use for in their lives.

Maybe all students should be taught about scientific matters that they will need to know something about to be smart citizens and voters. For example, they should know both the dangers and benefits of nuclear power, compared with other sorts of energy sources. And everyone should be taught some things about dangers that are explainable by science, including dangers caused by misuse of some technology advances. I think students and adults should learn about appropriate technology, and about the simple principles that they need to function in the world. And people should know about natural dangers, and how to prevent them, or avoid being hurt by them, or at least minimize the danger. For instance, should there be more underground houses, to prevent damage from a tornado? Here we are seeing much new construction completely above ground, right where the tornado just hit us.
The root is good critical thinking. Get that foundation in place and kids will be able to learn whatever they want and know how to tell reality from BS.

Location hidden

#80169 Jun 13, 2012
just saying wrote:
<quoted text>And it'll never get any better. You got to understand, people's passion for their religion stems from many tributaries. Examples: "If I acknowledge another theory, I'm blashpeming and I'll go to hell." "If I doubt my faith, I may abandon it and therefore have wasted years of my life to a fallacy." "My mama and daddy would disown me if I stopped going to church." Ect.
The truth is you are one of the lucky ones. You are gifted with an inquisitive mind and courage to stand up and ask, "why?" You can't argue with these nuts because to give up the argument means damnation for them and fear is the force behind many's faith in that blood-stained book.
Indeed. It seems that Terror Management Theory may be correct. This is the idea that our worldview is tied up with our sense of mortality or immortality. So any information contradicting our worldview threatens us on a fundamental level. Like...we feel mortally threatened. It explains why fundamentalists react so viscously against science.

If the science is right then their entire life's purpose is wrong at the root. But more liberal or mainstream religious people are far less threatened by it.

“There is no god.”

USA

#80170 Jun 13, 2012
just saying wrote:
<quoted text>
And it'll never get any better. You got to understand, people's passion for their religion stems from many tributaries. Examples: "If I acknowledge another theory, I'm blashpeming and I'll go to hell." "If I doubt my faith, I may abandon it and therefore have wasted years of my life to a fallacy." "My mama and daddy would disown me if I stopped going to church." Ect.
"fear is the force behind many's faith"

Yep.

“There is no god.”

USA

#80171 Jun 13, 2012
Justin wrote:
<quoted text>
But none of that has anything to do with Christ-ianity. It really is unfortunate the Midieval Catholic Church decided to bundle the Gospels of Christ together with the Old Testament books, which are full of weird Jewish history and customs.
I guess you missed "revelations" it is at the end of the new testament.

“There is no god.”

USA

#80172 Jun 13, 2012
Idiot Hater wrote:
I have a secular view.
No religion has any place being taught in any public school. That book (as well as the Koran and the Torah) is full of half-truths, outdated observations, outright contradictions and superstitious thinking dating back 2,000 to 5,000 years. It makes irrational claims that cannot be sustantiated or proven in modern times (6 days to create the world, no mention of dinosaurs, ect). And it is stained with the blood of untold innocents killed in its name or for refusal to submit to its dogma. It professes to have all the answers and yet not one would be accepted as rational nor reasonable. It has contributed directly to the life-long devotion to it by millions upon millions who died believing in it on nothing more than its own assertion that it is the word of god. It is contantly misinterpreted and misquoted depending on the interpretor at the time.
When viewed in its entirety from its conception and in light of its view on mankind as a whole, in my opinion, it has done way more harm than good.
"Half truths"?

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#80173 Jun 13, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>"Half truths"?
Well, so-and-so was the son of so-and so, who begat so-and-so.
That could be true. Maybe.

“There is no god.”

USA

#80175 Jun 13, 2012
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, so-and-so was the son of so-and so, who begat so-and-so.
That could be true. Maybe.
Ahhh, I stand corrected, as usual a very wise Witch, thank you.

“There is no god.”

USA

#80176 Jun 13, 2012
Pastor_Sock wrote:
Numbers 6:24-26
King James Version (KJV)
24 The Lord bless thee, and keep thee:
25 The Lord make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
26 The Lord lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
Ezekiel 9:5-6
King James Version (KJV)

"Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and woman: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house."

Joshua 6:21 and 10:40
King James Version (KJV)

"Joshua defeated the whole land... he left no one remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the LORD God of Israel commanded."

Location hidden

#80177 Jun 13, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Ezekiel 9:5-6
King James Version (KJV)

"Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and woman: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house."

Joshua 6:21 and 10:40
King James Version (KJV)

"Joshua defeated the whole land... he left no one remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the LORD God of Israel commanded."
Countdown to "We're under a new covenant" dodge tactic in 3...2...
The truth sets you free

Cape Canaveral, FL

#80178 Jun 13, 2012
All of that was answered for you in detail! You have one of two problems, either you cannot read or you don't have the mentality to comprehend what you read. The parable of 'the rich man and Lazurus' was explained to you in simple terms so that a small child could understand. There is no need to try to explain it to you again if you did not comprehend it the first time.
All you know is what false religion has handed down to you. You keep repeating the same nonsense over and over again with no scriptures to back what you are saying. Again I ask, please answer the simple questions I posted for you!
EXAMPLE:
Where does the Bible say we only have 2 choices either heaven or hell?
Where does the Bible say we have an immortal soul?
Where does the Bible say we go to heaven or hell when we die?
Where in the Bible do you find the word 'Rapture'?
Where in the Bible do you find the word 'Trinity'?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kentucky Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kim Davis Denied This Gay Man A Marriage Licens... 9 hr Rick Santpornum 5
sex trafficking be alert Sun wake up 12
Graves Co KY Sheriff'sdepluties disregarding Co... Sun crime stopper 1
The Clark's Nov 18 Wannabee 1
News Danville approves first reading of fairness ord... (May '14) Nov 18 Woodlawn 2
News KY Power economic grant to fund Pikeville geolo... Nov 15 big daddy here 10
looking for dave phillips Nov 15 ROSEPETAL 1
More from around the web