Kentucky child support laws

“Howdy”

Since: Dec 06

Paris, TN

#41 Aug 6, 2008
double trouble wrote:
Child support in kentucky is a joke. My fiancee has had custody of his children for four years now and the mother hasn't paid a dime of child support and he has taken her to court and everything. When she had them if he fell one payment behind they were threatening to take him to jail if it wasn't paid.
We have a new judge here in town in Tennessee and it's a female. She's strict on the women just like the men. She puts the women in jail for non support also.
Maybe ya'll need to elect some female judges instead of the males. Males are going to be more soft hearted towards the women somewhat.
Emmitt

Glasgow, KY

#42 Aug 6, 2008
Child Support laws along with many other laws appear to go from one extreme to another, Years ago, When a woman become pregnant, The child was literally "her baby" The Gov. did not make the man take responsibility of any kind.
Now, the Laws have some men paying so much child support they cannot afford to live on their own & many young fathers etc., end up having to move back in with their parents just to have a roof over their head.
As with anything, There are Good Mothers & Good Fathers as well as bad,
My opinion is:
Both the male & the female make a conscious decision to have sex and neither should depend on the other to use protection, Both should take their own responsibility,
They know that a Child could be conceived.
So Both are to blame.
Sadly last but not least it is the innocent child that suffers, whether it be financially, or the fact of not having a good relationship with the other parent they're not with.
I agree there need to be some changes made,
Children need to be taken care of in a good manner, Whoever is the custodial parent should have to show receipts of where the child support money is spent, and if the custodial parent refuses to allow the other parent to visit with the child, Then the child support should be put on hold until they can.
Fathers start writing to your State Represenatives, & Ky. Gov.
It WILL make a difference.
But whether you're a Father or a Mother keep a good relationship with your child.
They only grow up once!!

“Old-fashioned, but not ashamed”

Since: Aug 08

Small

#43 Aug 7, 2008
double trouble wrote:
Child support in kentucky is a joke. My fiancee has had custody of his children for four years now and the mother hasn't paid a dime of child support and he has taken her to court and everything. When she had them if he fell one payment behind they were threatening to take him to jail if it wasn't paid.
You are right! Kentucky child support laws are indeed a joke....a complete failure. Their one sided laws has destroyed many families. And, I seriously doubt that our law makers will change this mess.

Small

#44 Aug 7, 2008
Rockytopzz wrote:
<quoted text>We have a new judge here in town in Tennessee and it's a female. She's strict on the women just like the men. She puts the women in jail for non support also.
Maybe ya'll need to elect some female judges instead of the males. Males are going to be more soft hearted towards the women somewhat.
Great idea! But the probelm is, we have women judges here in Kentucky who are leaning toward the women on the family issue.

Small

#45 Aug 7, 2008
I think if we will look at the whole picture, we will see that the laws in the USA (not just Kentucky) are one-sided when it comes to several issues pertaining to the male and female. Take for instance: the case of the white young female school teacher that had sexual relations with one of her female students. This story was all over CNN. Because she is a “female” and is “good looking” she didn’t spend any jail time. Instead, the court system let her go with just a slap on the wrist. She received some probation and a few weak restrictions. This country, for the most part, is a feminist country, where women can get away (and some do) with murder.

Small

#46 Aug 7, 2008
In my last post, I mistakenly wrote female student. It was a male student she had sexual relations with. Sorry for the mistake.
Jon

United States

#47 Aug 11, 2008
Wow! I came to this site after using Google to find "in Kentucky, what does my child support cover?" So after reading it all, I couldn't help but add my two cents. I am a male that has been paying CS for about 10 or 11 years. I have had the same problems as most men on here and then some. I can not wait until the day my son turns 18. This has been nothing but a nightmare. I do agree that there are women who lay down for a paycheck, as do I agree it takes two people to make a child. The issue here should not be how the child got here but who pays and what that payment covers. The CS laws in Kentucky ARE written to protect the female. You can not deny that in 75% of custody hearings, the woman receives custody with a paycheck. Now if we talk about what that paycheck covers, I still have not found any legal document, or list that specifies so we will assume the daily necessities such as clothes, shoes, food, rent(or mortgage), and the like. Having said that, I pay nearly 500 per month. I don't mind, it kills me financially, but if thats what it takes, then I'm ok with it. Here is the problem, my ex is asking me consistently for help with things, new shoes, school clothes, haircuts, you name it. All of the stuff I would assume is covered in the CS payment. Is it? Or should I feel bad and tell her to shove it? LEt me tell you, the first 10 years I ate it and gave here whatever she asked for because I felt responsible for half. Then I opened my eyes. I sat back and looked at the last ten years and where she was and where I was. She had built, not bought, built two new houses in ten years, she has a new car every 2 to 3 years, she goes on vacations every year with all of her kids, two of which are not mine and none have the same father(hint,hint). Then I looked at my own situation. I couldn't afford a pot to piss in after paying child support. I lived with family, or split rent with roommates, I drove beat up cars that barely made it from point A to point B. When I did pick up my son, I could never afford to do anything with him. We spent time at home together which is probably the best, but it would have been nice to do things for him that cost money(gatti land, chuck e cheese). I finally had enough and told her to piss off, I pay child support and those things she keeps asking money for are included. Her response? NO THEY ARE NOT! She wants me to show her where these things are included in the payment. She says my 500 a month doesnt even cover her house payment. When did I start providing a house payment for her, another man, and three kids, two of which don't belong to me? Am I not responsible for providing a place to live and clothes and food to eat while my son is with me? It seems to me CS should be broken down by the day or even hour. Is it fair to my son to come to my place and grow up in an area where there is nothing but crime, drugs, alcohol, and whatever else goes on? This is about the only place a person can afford to live after some of the outrageous payments that men are making. Maybe I am biased because I am the one making the payment, but it is hard to see that my hard earned money is going to my son when I look at the life style she maintains and still has the audacity to ask me for money to cover things that are already paid for.
boogs

United States

#48 Aug 11, 2008
Jon, I agree the money you pay should be used for the sole purpose of supporting your son. As well I agree both parents are equally responsible for all of his nees....however, perhaps it is her new husband/partner feels he is in no way responsible for you son. Perhaps it is he who had 2 new homes built, and pays for her a car, vacations, etc. That may be why she is continues to ask for more....When she ask for more money, instead of saying no, ask her what your son needs. Buy whatever it is, then give it to him when he is with you. That way you kill more than one bird a single stone. 1) she doesn't get more cash 2) you can take your son shopping, let him choose what he likes. 3) You are spending quality "out of the house" time with him. 4) You create a memory for him of a loving fun time with his dad!!

Small

#49 Aug 11, 2008
Jon, I do not feel you are bias at all. You have every good reason to feel the way you do. And believe me; I certainly understand what you are going through. You and many other fathers (including myself) are going through the same, or have gone through the same. I am sure your ex is receiving child support from all her kids’ fathers. Women like her, are everywhere, and they are raking in a fortune from their kids ex (s). I would suggest to you that you pay only the child support and nothing more. The extras you ex keeps asking you for are her responsibility, not yours. My ex has 4 kids, 2 of which I adopted. I paid her child support. She lived the same lifestyle that you have described your ex is living. My ex raked in (for all 4 kids) nearly $2500.00 a month. She ended up with 3 mobile homes. One of which is brand new. The other two she rents to her druggie buddies. She too, bought a new car. Who benefited from all that child support money? Well, you do the math.
Oh, yes! It is very possible that your ex is funding her high-society lifestyle with the child support money she is receiving each month. I certainly feel your pain. I prayed for the day when my 2 kids would turn 18. Beware though, because there is a flip-side to this: When the child turns 18, and if he or she decides to continue in school (college, etc), the “custodial parent” can take the “noncustodial parent” to court and ask for the child support to be continued until the child reaches age 22. Remember, the “custodial parent” is the one who has “full custody”. Now we men can see why these women want full custody.
a men fathers

Crockett, TX

#50 Aug 11, 2008
the ky court system sucks on child support. how much back support owed does it have to before anything is done. how much does the custodial parent have to spend to get anything done. how much time do you have to give to get anything done. more than we really want to. you can thank you local child support office and your local court system for this. kentucky child support system sucks, no matter if it is custodial mother or father, but it sucks more for a custodial father. good luck to anyone who is seeking back support because it want happen. there is no room in any jail for the dead beats who don't pay. so suck the government dry for food stamps and anything else you can get and let the government take care of you because the state laws want do it. getting an attorney to help is also a joke because all your doing is putting dinner on their tables.
Jon

Louisville, KY

#51 Aug 11, 2008
Boogs, I am sure having the extra money in the house is helping her do some things, but she was having homes built and new cars long before he came into the picture. I agree with the accountability issue. There needs to be some accountibility of how the money is being spent. As far as her asking for more cash, she will spend it on him when she asks for it, the point is she is asking for money for things that he should already have and that are included in CS.

“Howdy”

Paris, TN

#52 Aug 11, 2008
boogs wrote:
Jon, I agree the money you pay should be used for the sole purpose of supporting your son. As well I agree both parents are equally responsible for all of his nees....however, perhaps it is her new husband/partner feels he is in no way responsible for you son. Perhaps it is he who had 2 new homes built, and pays for her a car, vacations, etc. That may be why she is continues to ask for more....When she ask for more money, instead of saying no, ask her what your son needs. Buy whatever it is, then give it to him when he is with you. That way you kill more than one bird a single stone. 1) she doesn't get more cash 2) you can take your son shopping, let him choose what he likes. 3) You are spending quality "out of the house" time with him. 4) You create a memory for him of a loving fun time with his dad!!
I'm not sure about Kentucky laws but here in Tennessee the child support continues until the age of 21 if the kid is in college and making passing grades. No passing grades no child support.
boogs

United States

#53 Aug 11, 2008
Rockytopzz wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not sure about Kentucky laws but here in Tennessee the child support continues until the age of 21 if the kid is in college and making passing grades. No passing grades no child support.
Her it is until the child is 18, or until 19 if he/she is still in high school....
boogs

United States

#54 Aug 11, 2008
Jon wrote:
Boogs, I am sure having the extra money in the house is helping her do some things, but she was having homes built and new cars long before he came into the picture. I agree with the accountability issue. There needs to be some accountibility of how the money is being spent. As far as her asking for more cash, she will spend it on him when she asks for it, the point is she is asking for money for things that he should already have and that are included in CS.
I'm glad she does use the money for he boy...I know several people (just common these days) who pay or receive child support. I've heard accusations from both sides of the street so to speak...One lady in particular charges her ex for half the parking fee when she takes the child to the Dr., dentist, etc. it's in their divorce....she receives social security for the boy (from his father), a monthly amount from dads workman's comp settlement, in addition he has to pay her $125 per week.....she had all additional cost (parking fee's etc) included in the divorce settlement. She had a really good lawyer who the ex paid in excess of 20K....He also has to pay spousal support until she completes her degree.

“Howdy”

Paris, TN

#55 Aug 11, 2008
boogs wrote:
<quoted text>Her it is until the child is 18, or until 19 if he/she is still in high school....
There was a popular talk show the other day talking about child support. A man was paying child support for his boy who was in college but he was not making passing grades. The man unknowingly paid for a year while his ex was blowing his money.

“Howdy”

Paris, TN

#56 Aug 11, 2008
London citizen wrote:
<quoted text>Great idea! But the probelm is, we have women judges here in Kentucky who are leaning toward the women on the family issue.
That's why I like this new judge we have here that's a woman. She is just as tough on the women as she is with the men when it comes to child support.
She's hard on them and it usually amounts to jail time for non-payment.
Jon

United States

#57 Aug 13, 2008
boogs wrote:
<quoted text> I'm glad she does use the money for he boy...I know several people (just common these days) who pay or receive child support. I've heard accusations from both sides of the street so to speak...One lady in particular charges her ex for half the parking fee when she takes the child to the Dr., dentist, etc. it's in their divorce....she receives social security for the boy (from his father), a monthly amount from dads workman's comp settlement, in addition he has to pay her $125 per week.....she had all additional cost (parking fee's etc) included in the divorce settlement. She had a really good lawyer who the ex paid in excess of 20K....He also has to pay spousal support until she completes her degree.
Just to clarify, she spends the additional money on him that she is asking for. Who knows where the original CS payment has gone that should have paid for the stuff that she is asking for more money.
Tammi in Kentucky

Plainsboro, NJ

#58 Aug 14, 2008
Robyn wrote:
To the ones with complaints, have you contacted the state representatives about changing the child support laws? I am female, and am currently trying to get a modification. I have tried for over a year, and just now received notice that there is a court date later this month. I have a soon to be 16 year old daughter, and I receive $173 a month. Now, do you really think that gets much of anything for her? Her sperm donor father could care less about her. I now live in Texas, and let's just say that I wish I had divorced him in this state. The laws here are 20% of the father's gross income, period. Second child, 17.5% of gross income. I had my child support reduced because he was a sperm donor two times after our daughter. He has never wanted anything to do with the child that was born after ours, yet, that mother gets $100 MORE a month than I do. Now just how fair is that? Just because I was smart enough to get an education, that makes it fall on me totally for financial support?(not including the emotional support, being that she has to call her father IF she ever wants to talk to him) I will be writing a letter to all state representatives as to how unfair the whole system is, and suggest they look at other states' systems to improve theirs.
Good news for you: I wanted to tell you that I moved from Georgia (also 20% gross income) to Kentucky (where child support is a complete embarassment). My ex argued that since we now live in Ky, he should only pay support by Ky guidelines. He won, and his support was halved. You should be able to be paid by Texas standards since you live there.
bucknasty

Gray, KY

#59 Aug 14, 2008
Tammi in Kentucky wrote:
<quoted text> Good news for you: I wanted to tell you that I moved from Georgia (also 20% gross income) to Kentucky (where child support is a complete embarassment). My ex argued that since we now live in Ky, he should only pay support by Ky guidelines. He won, and his support was halved. You should be able to be paid by Texas standards since you live there.
how much do you expect your ex to pay its crazy to make a man pay outragous amounts to the point he cant live. i get child support from my ex she is supposed to pay me 60.00 a month never got the first payment dont care if i ever do. the reason men get behind is because they are just about raped every month by the amount they have to pay good ol dad has to have a little money to live too and would like to have a little something in life other than driving a beat up car and living in a shack. in what world does it cost over 3 to 4 hundred a month to meet a childs basic need i do it and i would be ashamed to ask my ex for 20% of her income i dont want it most woman just use the money as disposible income anyway. i used to work with a lady who took this guy for a ride had two kids by him then socked it to him she quite work and bragged that she made enough from child support that she only had to babysitt part time to live now why the hell does this guy have to support her deadbeat a@@

“Howdy”

Paris, TN

#60 Aug 15, 2008
I have a question. If a man or woman that is paying child support be able to claim them on his or her taxes?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kentucky Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 32 min Jamie 174,887
Democrats sue Russia & Trump 1 hr freelancehobo 10
The dem house. IT scandal 3 hr Truth comes out 1
Libs say don't call the police 7 hr Libs always wrong 1
teachers are so greedy ,they should teach for f... 16 hr princpal 1
Anyone remember this crime? 20 hr MemoryTest 1
Ky Swap Shop Online ! Mon Kentucky 2