Kentucky child support laws

Posted in the Kentucky Forum

First Prev
of 63
Next Last
Pa Dad

Hollidaysburg, PA

#1 May 28, 2008
Ok I pay child support in KY but the laws there are stupid, first of all I am disabled and I try my best but I fell behind in my child support payments, due to surgeries and being laid off from 3 jobs in 4 years. My ex-wife would go over to the Jefferson courthouse on the 1st of each month and file stating that I have not paid yet in the last 7 years she has filed 56 times and then turns around and cash the check. For the last 10 years payments have been going though the court. Just 2 years ago she stopped doing that, but since I live in a different state she had them file to extradite me, except the judge here in PA said that they had no grounds since I am current.
But hereís the real kicker, when we separated she moved back home and when my son was 4 years old, she left him with her mother, never told anyone and used all the child support money on herself, every time I would travel over to see my son she and him would be out of the area, I tried making arrangements for weeks at a time and still I could not see him, the courts said she was making an effort to let me see him and it was me who was causing the problems, finally I got a good job and hired a lawyer that told her and her family that if I did not see my son I would file for custody, they let me see him for a whole week he was 10 years old by then. I dropped the custody stuff since I could see my son finally, but as soon as I was laid off all visitations stopped. I later found out what was really happening. I told the courts they ignored me so I filed for a modification order since my ex-wife did not actually have custody, the court changed the name of the recipient, and ordered and increase of child support dated 6 years prior so at that time I went from being ok with the child support (I had made it to be 1 payment behind) to now being $10,000 behind since my son did not receive the support I sent. I said well I did not take it why should I be punished for this, why well lets see there was a female judge, a female lawyer for my ex (I did not have one and could not talk for the whole proceeding) my ex and her mother. And since I was the only person on recored of pay child support I had to make up the difference. My ex skates away from not paying any child support and I ended up having to pay double, 2 years latter I have less than 2 years of payments left. Whereís the fairness in a state that punishes the people who tell the whole truth and praises those that lie and steal.
My ex-wife and my sonís grandmother have sent back for my sonís whole life every card letter gift etc I have sent him. They spent a month in Hawaii for one summer and ever since his 4th birthday spent a week in Disney land as a birthday present and for a graduation present they bought him a $500 graduation ring, they take him over to see my parents who live less than a mile from me yet they can not bring him over to see me or even tell me that they are visiting till they have already left. Like these people need my $380 month children support. They lied to him his whole life and he is finally coming around to that fact, but he still hates me. But I donít blame him I blame the system that let this happen and my ex-wife for that.
Itís not his fault that they taught him to hate
Kentucky need to fix there child support system, and Louisville courts need to see beyond the whitewash. Some parents are just trying to avoid paying child support but some of us fall behind for understandable reasons. Sometime its not our fault but an outside source we cant control, so donít label all of us as deadbeat parents.
it just that in Kentuckyit seems that the courts favor the word of the custodial mother to proof.
Local Yokel

Bowling Green, KY

#2 May 28, 2008
I sypathize with you on the fact of falling on hard times. And I agree that some parents abuse their rights (both custodial and non-custodial). I'll have to say as a single mom, in my case it's been the exact opposite. I won't bore you with details but my kids are 10 and 16 and I've raised them wothout a dad and until the last 5 years have had no financial. I remember calling to report where my child's father worked and I was told that unless I also had a home address to go with the employment information they couldn't help me. Even though there were tough times, I was umemployed at one time and then worked part time for a year, their support still fell on me. I love my kids and don't regret anything.
I wish you the best and hope you and your son can patch up your relationship.
Owed Child support

Radcliff, KY

#3 Jun 11, 2008
I am a woman that is owed 12,000.00 in child support. I have given my Ex a break by NOT GOING to the child support office and all i get from him is bull!! Yes, i agree that a lot of women are really hateful and there are other women that want to keep the peace(like me) but there does come a time when the peaceful ones have had enough. I look at it this way, If my ex has the money to dring EVERY DAY than he should make it a point to try and HELP!!!
concerned father

Knoxville, TN

#4 Jul 13, 2008
well i am paying on three children that i don't know if they are mine. i had a one night stand with one of the girls.and the other 2 i don't even know.and they are just garnishing my wages without paternity on any of these children. and i have asked for a paternity test but i was turn away.
lindalou

Florence, KY

#5 Aug 4, 2008
My son has been paying child support in Ky for 19 years and hes 35!When he was 15 a 22 year old female had sex with him,yea,I should have had her put in jail,but I was busy grieving for my oldest son that I had just lost in a car accident!He has had a pretty hard life,as 2 years after we lost his brother,their dad took his own life,and my son found him.He went on to have 3 more children.Two of the mothers were on HUD,and every kind of goverment help they could get.So neither were really"supporting" the children.because my son has money from an insurance policy that dad left grandmother in charge of,the courts wont even let him get 250.00,or they will issue warrants for him.Hes been in and out of jail so many times,I cant count it anymore.I know that child support is a must for our children,but why shouldnt the mother also be responsible for supporting them,or NO HELP!On top of all this hes never really gotten to be with his kids as he should.They were always jealous of other women or had an excuse for not letting them see them.Why should the man not be able to pay his own bills,and mom gets free rent?Men who "hurt"children have more rights than fathers who get behind in support!Put them on house arrest,not jail,what good does that do anyone!and go after "all" of them,not just the ones that do pay,and get behind.There are men who are years behind,but I guess they know its a waste of time,so they pick on the same ones!Ky is a mess,their system is so backwards and unfair!

“Old-fashioned, but not ashamed”

Since: Aug 08

Small

#6 Aug 4, 2008
Kentucky is one of the worst states in the USA when it comes to child custody and child support. The so-called justice system here in Kentucky will grant full custody to the woman, regardless. I know some tramps who have full custody of their children right now. They children are left to themselves while their mothers go out and party, get drunk, and have sex with every man they can jump in the bed with. I had to pay child support for 2 kids who were only my stepchildren, not my biological. I support a system that would make it to where any and all child support would be shared by both parents and deposited into an account where it could only be used for paying the bills and supporting the intended child(ren). With a system like this, there would be less children conceived. If the women have to share the burden of support they will not be giving birth every nine months. Trust me on this one.
lindalou

Florence, KY

#7 Aug 4, 2008
AMEN!

“Howdy”

Since: Dec 06

Mckenzie, TN

#8 Aug 4, 2008
lindalou wrote:
My son has been paying child support in Ky for 19 years and hes 35!When he was 15 a 22 year old female had sex with him,yea,I should have had her put in jail,but I was busy grieving for my oldest son that I had just lost in a car accident!He has had a pretty hard life,as 2 years after we lost his brother,their dad took his own life,and my son found him.He went on to have 3 more children.Two of the mothers were on HUD,and every kind of goverment help they could get.So neither were really"supporting" the children.because my son has money from an insurance policy that dad left grandmother in charge of,the courts wont even let him get 250.00,or they will issue warrants for him.Hes been in and out of jail so many times,I cant count it anymore.I know that child support is a must for our children,but why shouldnt the mother also be responsible for supporting them,or NO HELP!On top of all this hes never really gotten to be with his kids as he should.They were always jealous of other women or had an excuse for not letting them see them.Why should the man not be able to pay his own bills,and mom gets free rent?Men who "hurt"children have more rights than fathers who get behind in support!Put them on house arrest,not jail,what good does that do anyone!and go after "all" of them,not just the ones that do pay,and get behind.There are men who are years behind,but I guess they know its a waste of time,so they pick on the same ones!Ky is a mess,their system is so backwards and unfair!
I think the biggest mess up would be your son at 15 getting a woman knocked up and then going and get more women knocked up. Sounds like your son is not too bright.
boogs

Wixom, MI

#9 Aug 4, 2008
London citizen wrote:
Kentucky is one of the worst states in the USA when it comes to child custody and child support. The so-called justice system here in Kentucky will grant full custody to the woman, regardless. I know some tramps who have full custody of their children right now. They children are left to themselves while their mothers go out and party, get drunk, and have sex with every man they can jump in the bed with. I had to pay child support for 2 kids who were only my stepchildren, not my biological. I support a system that would make it to where any and all child support would be shared by both parents and deposited into an account where it could only be used for paying the bills and supporting the intended child(ren). With a system like this, there would be less children conceived. If the women have to share the burden of support they will not be giving birth every nine months. Trust me on this one.
I like your idea to put the money in an account for the children.....however I would want to be an administrator. I totally disagree w/a reduction in reproduction.....countless women were prenant every 9 months, way before child support was in the equation. They will continue to reproduce, he/she will continue to skip out and be irresponsible. not fair to the children, yet it is the reality.

Small

#10 Aug 4, 2008
True. But way back then there were no child support or money payments for women to readily get hold of. That is a great difference compared to what they have to use at their disposal nowadays. If there is no easy money for these modern-day money grabbing women to get hold of, they will use birth control. NO MONEY, NO BABIES. Times are different now, and so is the mentality of women.
boogs wrote:
<quoted text>I like your idea to put the money in an account for the children.....however I would want to be an administrator. I totally disagree w/a reduction in reproduction.....countless women were prenant every 9 months, way before child support was in the equation. They will continue to reproduce, he/she will continue to skip out and be irresponsible. not fair to the children, yet it is the reality.
Robyn

Killeen, TX

#11 Aug 4, 2008
To the ones with complaints, have you contacted the state representatives about changing the child support laws? I am female, and am currently trying to get a modification. I have tried for over a year, and just now received notice that there is a court date later this month. I have a soon to be 16 year old daughter, and I receive $173 a month. Now, do you really think that gets much of anything for her? Her sperm donor father could care less about her. I now live in Texas, and let's just say that I wish I had divorced him in this state. The laws here are 20% of the father's gross income, period. Second child, 17.5% of gross income. I had my child support reduced because he was a sperm donor two times after our daughter. He has never wanted anything to do with the child that was born after ours, yet, that mother gets $100 MORE a month than I do. Now just how fair is that? Just because I was smart enough to get an education, that makes it fall on me totally for financial support?(not including the emotional support, being that she has to call her father IF she ever wants to talk to him) I will be writing a letter to all state representatives as to how unfair the whole system is, and suggest they look at other states' systems to improve theirs.

Small

#12 Aug 5, 2008
How much money in monthly child support do you think it is worth for your one-time sex encounter with the child's father? Add up all the monthly child support payments you will be getting, and it is clear that a one-time sexual encounter pays back in BIG dividens. I wonder if you are the reason the child's father doesn't have anything to do with her.
Robyn wrote:
To the ones with complaints, have you contacted the state representatives about changing the child support laws? I am female, and am currently trying to get a modification. I have tried for over a year, and just now received notice that there is a court date later this month. I have a soon to be 16 year old daughter, and I receive $173 a month. Now, do you really think that gets much of anything for her? Her sperm donor father could care less about her. I now live in Texas, and let's just say that I wish I had divorced him in this state. The laws here are 20% of the father's gross income, period. Second child, 17.5% of gross income. I had my child support reduced because he was a sperm donor two times after our daughter. He has never wanted anything to do with the child that was born after ours, yet, that mother gets $100 MORE a month than I do. Now just how fair is that? Just because I was smart enough to get an education, that makes it fall on me totally for financial support?(not including the emotional support, being that she has to call her father IF she ever wants to talk to him) I will be writing a letter to all state representatives as to how unfair the whole system is, and suggest they look at other states' systems to improve theirs.

“Let's see what's goin' on.”

Since: Aug 07

East Bernstadt, ky

#13 Aug 5, 2008
concerned father wrote:
well i am paying on three children that i don't know if they are mine. i had a one night stand with one of the girls.and the other 2 i don't even know.and they are just garnishing my wages without paternity on any of these children. and i have asked for a paternity test but i was turn away.
Well all I have to say is you are foolish for not checking paternity. Before ever paying the first cent you have a right to request a paternity test. Have it done now. It would benefit all of you greatly.
lil o me

Glasgow, KY

#14 Aug 5, 2008
Robyn wrote:
I received child support for 18 years of my life. I only got $150 a month. My dad never wanted anything to do with me and so my mom didn't want me to have anything to do with him for that simple fact. He made almost 30 dollars an hour and all he was made pay was not even 10% of what he made in a week. My mom and me had to have help in order to make it. She used that money the way she thought it would best benefit me whether it meant part of the rent that month or paying the electric bill.It didn't help pay a lot on anything for me when I needed it whether it was for clothes or things for school. When I turned 16 I drove out by his house one day just to see what his house and vehicles looked like, and it was unreal. He had a new house and new truck while my mom and I were barely getting by. The sight of that made me sick. Knowing that he could be helping more and he didn't want to and was not even made to. I'm 21 now and I know times have changed a lil in 18 years but still. 150 dollars is nothing when you consider what all parents have on ther back. The laws really do need to be changed so that other children and parents get the help they need.
boogs

Wixom, MI

#15 Aug 5, 2008
London citizen wrote:
True. But way back then there were no child support or money payments for women to readily get hold of. That is a great difference compared to what they have to use at their disposal nowadays. If there is no easy money for these modern-day money grabbing women to get hold of, they will use birth control. NO MONEY, NO BABIES. Times are different now, and so is the mentality of women.
<quoted text>
Oh please, get real....It's unlikely large groups of women are plotting to have a one night stand, to get pregnant "only to collect child support"....makes no sense what so ever. As well it takes 2 to bump uglies and make the baby....right?????? right! Whether or not he intends to impregnate his one night stand or not. If he does, he takes responsiblity for the baby, least ways thats what real stand up guys do. Not to mention the fact both are wrong in participating in a 1 night stand, to begin with.

If you make a baby you pay plain & simple.
P.s. perhaps those same men should invest in a condom or 2....

“Howdy”

Since: Dec 06

Mckenzie, TN

#16 Aug 5, 2008
boogs wrote:
<quoted text>Oh please, get real....It's unlikely large groups of women are plotting to have a one night stand, to get pregnant "only to collect child support"....makes no sense what so ever.
I dunno, I know some young women to do exactly this.
It backfired on this one young woman that I know. She had two kids by two different fathers but was declared an unfit mother because of drug consumption. The kids were taken away and she was forced to pay child support. When she did not get a job to pay support they put her in jail.
Do you know what she wants to do now that she's out of jail? Make another baby.

Small

#17 Aug 5, 2008
I never said the women are masterminding one-night stands. You said that....not me. It appears that you are living in a dream world. Get real! All one needs to do is just look at the documented cases where the man is portrayed as some horrible monster, and in return the woman gets full-custody of the child(ren). Bingo! Full custody equals child support, plus all the other cash flows, of which all flows into her hands. The evidence is too strong for me to believe anything different. I say make both parents pay child support, and the women will then get their act together and start thinking about being a mother to their children, and not a beneficiary. Too many good men have be portrayed as some lowlife, by the very woman who at one time said, "I love you, and want to spend my life with you", only so she could get full custody and receive all the money benefits, and be in total control, even to the point that the father never gets to see his own child(ren). Now, study on that for awhile.
boogs wrote:
<quoted text>Oh please, get real....It's unlikely large groups of women are plotting to have a one night stand, to get pregnant "only to collect child support"....makes no sense what so ever. As well it takes 2 to bump uglies and make the baby....right?????? right! Whether or not he intends to impregnate his one night stand or not. If he does, he takes responsiblity for the baby, least ways thats what real stand up guys do. Not to mention the fact both are wrong in participating in a 1 night stand, to begin with.
If you make a baby you pay plain & simple.
P.s. perhaps those same men should invest in a condom or 2....

Small

#18 Aug 5, 2008
You tell'em Rockytop. I am with you. We know the truth.
Rockytopzz wrote:
<quoted text>I dunno, I know some young women to do exactly this.
It backfired on this one young woman that I know. She had two kids by two different fathers but was declared an unfit mother because of drug consumption. The kids were taken away and she was forced to pay child support. When she did not get a job to pay support they put her in jail.
Do you know what she wants to do now that she's out of jail? Make another baby.
Robyn

Killeen, TX

#19 Aug 5, 2008
London citizen wrote:
How much money in monthly child support do you think it is worth for your one-time sex encounter with the child's father? Add up all the monthly child support payments you will be getting, and it is clear that a one-time sexual encounter pays back in BIG dividens. I wonder if you are the reason the child's father doesn't have anything to do with her.
<quoted text>
Oh you're just too smart for your own good! I would say congrats on guessing correctly, but you're dead wrong. I was married to the "sperm donor" for eight years. It was not a one time sexual encounter. And no, I'm not the reason he doesn't want anything to do with her. But damn if you're so quick to know everything about everyone's situation, then you must be God!! Woohoo, you're such a dumb jackass....must be a "man". So, I guess it would be okay to let my daughter go live with her father, and me pay $173 a month? I highly doubt he would keep his mouth shut about that little bit of money. So to further educate you about myself, I do have an education. I have provided for my daughter ALONE for EIGHT years since we divorced. Yes, he did provide a grand total of $2,076 a YEAR. Oh, so let me hear you spew your Godly know-it-all sh!t now....
confused

AOL

#20 Aug 5, 2008
i agree with both i have full custody of my son and have never been paid a penny!it toook 10k to get custody but i did it so i knew he would be taking care of!the system is one sided i paid 125.00 a wk for 4 years now i'm not entitled to any thing? what a deal?l.o.l

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 63
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kentucky Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 51 min uMoron 143,019
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr red and right 193,540
News Reluctant Kentucky clerk gets time for gay marr... 3 hr WasteWater 4
News Members of Fairness campaign arrested at Kentuc... 15 hr Yogi 1
News For Obama, golf is an escape, even when he brin... Fri American_Infidel 58
News Benton teacher to seek House of Representative ... Aug 26 George Jetson 2
News Kentucky GOP OKs caucus; allows Rand Paul to se... Aug 25 Rightwing Idiot 2
More from around the web