English-Only Bills Gain Steam in States

English-Only Bills Gain Steam in States

There are 14 comments on the Fox News story from Feb 1, 2011, titled English-Only Bills Gain Steam in States. In it, Fox News reports that:

State legislators in Indiana and Minnesota are pushing laws requiring public documents and other government business in those states to be done only in English.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox News.

Bruin

Black Canyon City, AZ

#1 Feb 2, 2011
Only on Fox would you get crucial news such as this. If you live here speak the language. If you are unable to learn it, go back to where you came from. We have enough immigrants on welfare already.

Since: Jan 11

Jackson, TN

#3 Feb 2, 2011
I believe that its definitely should be the states to decide this issue. In other Countries they demand that you conduct "official" business with them in ther own language whether you need a translater or not.
Sue

Brooklyn, CT

#4 Feb 2, 2011
I agree with Brian 100 percent
Sue

Brooklyn, CT

#5 Feb 2, 2011
Bruin wrote:
Only on Fox would you get crucial news such as this. If you live here speak the language. If you are unable to learn it, go back to where you came from. We have enough immigrants on welfare already.
Whoops not Brian but bruin
Vikings Fan

Rochester, MN

#6 Feb 2, 2011
Ahhhhh, this is only common sense! So if you take your drivers test in a different language then english, how are you to understand english language traffic signs?

Leave it to progressive liberal democrats to come up with a dumb argument against an english only bill. Let me guess? English only bill will trample on the civil rights of our un-documented workers (illegal immigrants)!

It's as bad as the Federal government making border patrol agents call illegal immigrants quote: "un-documented workers".

Rico from East LA

“But it's so Racist”

Since: Mar 10

United States

#7 Feb 2, 2011
Bruin wrote:
I totally agree, nothing is more important to Fox News viewers than to discriminate against those people who have not assumed the English language or who could care less about the English language.

Fox News viewers are very concerned about forcing people who they'd never want to talk to in the first place to speak English only in America becuase forcing things on others is a favorite American past time!

Rico from East LA

“But it's so Racist”

United States

#8 Feb 2, 2011
Sue wrote:
I agree with Brian 100 percent
Sue wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoops not Brian but bruin
How ironic, you want others to speak English only yet you can hardly spell English yourself. You're another sad case of "Do as I say, Not as I do!"

Rico from East LA

“But it's so Racist”

United States

#9 Feb 2, 2011
Vikings Fan wrote:
Ahhhhh, this is only common sense! So if you take your drivers test in a different language then english, how are you to understand english language traffic signs?
Leave it to progressive liberal democrats to come up with a dumb argument against an english only bill. Let me guess? English only bill will trample on the civil rights of our un-documented workers (illegal immigrants)!
It's as bad as the Federal government making border patrol agents call illegal immigrants quote: "un-documented workers".
Do yourself a favor and look at a drivers test thats in a non-English format. You'll easily see that on the test the signs in English are translated into the respective language taken by the testee!

People who take a drivers test will understand the signs becuase they have to know WTF the sign means to pass the test, OK! Also, the majority of traffic signs are symbols to begin with, OK! A person who possesses a drivers license would know that, OK!

You should now throw your fear mongering bullshit in the trash, OK!
Vikings Fan

Rochester, MN

#11 Feb 2, 2011
Rico from East LA wrote:
<quoted text>
Do yourself a favor and look at a drivers test thats in a non-English format. You'll easily see that on the test the signs in English are translated into the respective language taken by the testee!
People who take a drivers test will understand the signs becuase they have to know WTF the sign means to pass the test, OK! Also, the majority of traffic signs are symbols to begin with, OK! A person who possesses a drivers license would know that, OK!
Yes, feeding trolls like you is fun! Guess I must have struck a nerve with the facts "rico"!
racer42

Hayward, CA

#12 Feb 2, 2011
Rico from East LA wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree, nothing is more important to Fox News viewers than to discriminate against those people who have not assumed the English language or who could care less about the English language.
Fox News viewers are very concerned about forcing people who they'd never want to talk to in the first place to speak English only in America becuase forcing things on others is a favorite American past time!
The majority of the people who came here in the mass migrations of the early 20th century didn't speak English either. But they desperately wanted to participate in the Great American Experiment and be an "American". They knew that they would have to learn to speak English in order to be an American so they learned. They didn't learn in school, they didn't have ESL classes but they learned. And while and after assimilating into the American culture (often while maintaining their own culture and language as well) the became great contributors to America. The modern immigrants (sadly the majority being from Latin America) could care less about "being and American" and all that entails. I'm not say that they can't speak their native language with their friends or during social functions, but in their dealings with the government and their dealings with English speakers they should learn to speak English. Only speaking their native language and not English isolates them from the main stream and the melting pot doesn't melt.
racer42

Hayward, CA

#13 Feb 2, 2011
Rico from East LA wrote:
<quoted text>
Not entirely true. I've seen situations in the DMV near where I live where the person taking the test has an interpreter with them to help them with the test. That's BS.
Archie from Coon Rapids

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Feb 2, 2011
Someone has been watching too much FOX.
djigoo

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Feb 2, 2011
Bruin wrote:
Only on Fox would you get crucial news such as this.
Ha ha ha...
Oh, ho ho hohooooooo....
Hee heeeeeeee heeee!
Oh, man...that's rich! Only on FOX! Didja ever wonder WHY that is?
Can You Hear Me

United States

#16 Feb 2, 2011
English should be the legal and official language of the entire U.S.

It would save untold amounts of taxpayer dollars due to the fact all functions, government agencies, paperwork, court procedings, booklets, information and everything would have to be in English.

No more taxpayer funded interpreters. No more duplicated instructions, booklets and the list goes on...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indiana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Con artist 19 hr Buttercup 1
News Man gets 65 years for fatally beating gay South... Wed Veteran 2
Antidote for opiod overdoses Aug 10 just sayin 1
News Grandfather of Indiana teen found dead near hik... Aug 8 Concerned 138
News Girl Scouts work on improving lot of young Hoos... Aug 5 yoman 1
roads need fixing 10 th street Aug 1 ULMAES 1
News The Hoosier way - a better way Jul 27 nnono 1
More from around the web