TV show searching for home to fix up

Jun 22, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Times

"Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," a television show on ABC that airs at 9 p.m. on Sundays, is searching for a home to renovate in central Indiana and a compelling story about the family chosen for the home ...

Comments
1 - 20 of 46 Comments Last updated Jan 5, 2014
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Gloria myers

Cypress, CA

#1 Jul 15, 2008
I would like to know if you are going to york pa some time. I have a mother in law that we all call late Loretta. She has had the worst luck in her life. She only whent to school till 3graed and has cronic lung problems and her house is full of mold. every part of her house is falling or you just don't know how she could live there.
audrey

Bridgeport, CT

#2 Oct 25, 2008
i have a very heartwarming story for extreme home makeovers-i also have a permit until 2009-i live ridge,long island,new york-my boyfriend started to add an extension w/ an attached garage-unfortunately mark had 3 stints put into his heart 2007 and even worse this past sept.2008 he is diagnosed with a very rare Cancer merkel cell sarcoma-he is undergoing radical chemotherapy & is going back into hospital 10/27/08 for more chemo-besides we ran out of money, he probably can never finish our house, which is his master bedroom and kitchen-so we do not have a completed kitchen-therefore,he does not eat good enough to build up his immune system-we also have 8 dogs,20 cats and 2 birds, most of which were rescues that he kept-we barely have enough money for our animals food which is very important to mark-the weather will be getting colder and because the back 2 rooms(kitchen and bedroom) are not finished along w/the garage all our heat goes out the door-i was hoping that since we have a permit your show would help us finish the house and mark could live comfortably for the time he has left. my e-mail is arfbbb@aol.com -hoping to hear from you,thank you, audrey and mark
sherrie

United States

#3 Oct 30, 2008
I WATCH YOUR TV SHOW ALL THE TIME AND I THINK HOW LUCKY ALOT OF PEOPLE ARE TO HAVE HOMES OF THEIR OWN I AM 36 AND I HAVE A 2 YEAR OLD SON I LIVED WITH ABUSE FROM MY FATHER ABUSE THAT ONLY GOD KNOWS I RECEIVE SSI AND SS BECAUSE THE ABUSE CAUSED BY MY FATHER ENABLED ME TO LEARN AND GET A GOOD EDUCATION I HAVE BEEN MARRIED FOR 3 YEARS AND MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE NEVER LIVED TOGETHER DUE TO INCOME REASONS AND I HAVE DREAMED OF HAVEING A HOME TO RAISE MY SON I LIVE WITH MY MOTHER AND IT IS VEERY HARD MY SON AND I SHARE THE SAME BEDROOM TO HAVE A ROOM JUST FOR HIM I PURSUED AND BOUGHT A PIECE OF LAND FOR AMONTHLY PAYMENT OF 100.00 I THOUGHT MAYBE I COULD GET A USED TRIALER BUT MY CREDIT SCORE IS NOT GOOD MY HUSBAND DOES NOT WORK DUE TO A INJUREY THAT HAPPENED AT A MINE SIGHT HE HASN'T RECEIVED ANY INCOME FROM THAT OR HASN'T WORKED SINCE I RAISE MY SON ON WHAT I RECEIVE A MONTH I DON'T RECEIVE ANY OTHER INCOME TO HELP TO HAVE A HOME BUILT ON THE LAND I BOUGHT WOULD BE MY DREAM COME TRUE TO HAVE MY FAMILY TOGETHER AND HAVE MY HUSBAND SHARE IN THE REASPONSIBLITIESOF OUR SON THIS MAKES 3 YERAS MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE HAD TO SPEND HOILDAYS APART AND THAT I COULD START HEALING THOSE BROKE WOUNDS THAT WILL SCARE MY MEMORY FOR LIFE SO IF YOU ARE IN THE WV AREA PLESAE CONTACT ME I JUST HOPE BY SOME GRIAN OF FAITH THIS WILL REACH YOU GOD BLESS ALWAYS SHRRIE JENNINGS
Connie

Powhatan, VA

#4 Dec 22, 2008
Please, please let me know if you come to the Richmond, VA area. There is a woman here who has some serious medical problems. She has a 12 year old daughter who is excellent in school and very well mannered. Their house is falling apart and because she is on a limited income she is unable to pay to fix her house. The roof is filled with mold, the walls are cracked, the water sucks...their place is falling apart around them. They live so far out in the country, and it is hard for friends to get out to her. She has no family and is totally dependent on her daughter. She has been in touch with all of the agencies who can help and she always falls just above or below the limits. They need help really bad. She has proof of everything, medical & physical damages. Anything that can be done for her and her daughter would be very helpful. We are all on the edge with the economy, however, this family is in dire need. Thanks for reading this.
Heather

Red Deer, Canada

#5 Jan 3, 2009
I was wondering if you guys were ever coming to Canada. I have a very inspiring story I just wish that i could do more for my Wonderful aunt and uncle that have gone through alot in the last 10 yrs. They have both bet the odds of death. I just wish that i have as much fight as they both have to beat the odds. My uncle had a massive stroke doing what he loves to do. Racing Chuchwagons and Chariots. My thoughts are the love of my aunt brought him back to us and let him live life to the fullest but he gets so tired by the end of the day that there is no time for the fixing of the house or doing much.He is a work ahaullic and never slows down cause he knows there is not much time. While my aunt is looking after my uncle she was told that she has breast cancer.She has gone through all the treatments but it may come back at anytime. What are the odds. Two very deadly diseases that happen to two very wonderful people that love to help others before they help themselves.
Their dreams are to move to a small cabin home on a acreage that they have purshased just to look out the window in the morning with their coffee and see their horses running in the pasture that we have built with them. They are the most admirable and loving family that i could ever amagine having. There heart and soul is just in everthing but i am afraid that my uncles time my be running out he just does not want to admit it.So it would be very special just to go to there house to see them just enjoying the day and not have to worry about anything for just a day so they could relax and call it home.
I know that the love of god is there and will help them get through the day, But just a little help would be loved by all.
Thanks for listening.

PAMMY

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Jan 10, 2009
I would love it if you came to NJ!! I have a home here that is just falling apart. I need help so bad. My husband recency past away. I am a care giver to my 7yr & 2yr old grandkids, so I am unable to work. My daughter helps me out paying my bills. Things just seem to get worst. I try my best to put a smile 0n my face for the kids, but deep down in side I feel I sliped away. I pray to my higher power every day, hoping things will get better. So if there is ever a chance you will be in NJ, please keep me in mind. Thank you& God Bless
brotherpank

United States

#8 Jan 12, 2009
How interesting. The article says they are coming to central indiana, yet all of the posts are from other states. i guess no one in indiana needs a home makeover.
david melton

Moline, IL

#9 Jan 12, 2009
help rev james erickson please he has spent his life helping others in need see kztv21 on lapine fire please help
GNURSE

Jeffersonville, KY

#10 Jun 19, 2009
My daughter has recently been divorced, not by choice, from a marrige of 24 years, Her living situation has definitely decreased. She has bought a small home, which she will be strugling to keep. Her kitchen has no counter tops, and her bedroom is defintely in bad shape. She lives in OLIVE HILL,KY, and we greatly appreciate help fixing up her home, as she has no resources except her job which pays very little. She is definitly in need, and is trying so hard.
Ruby - Darlington SC

Florence, SC

#11 Jun 27, 2009
Hi, I've watched Extreme Makeover and like everyone else I dream of help but realize how impossible that really is. I'm a 51 disabled widow who has decided to build her own house with the help of friends. I house burnt and while my husband was in the hospital, our contractor burnt me, then we found out he had falsified documents and he wasn't even licenced. They still haven't found him. To make a long story short. I lost most everything in the world a person can loose, my husband, sister, friend, child, and my home of 22 years but I've regained my joy for life again and have decided foolishly to build my own home. I'm to scared to trust contractors again. Sure the house my never get through and I have resigned myself to this, but my dream is to once more have another home. Were almost 80 percent through with the foundation (8 weeks) but still striving for the American Dream. I hope others who read this will remember not to give up on their dream no matter how long it takes. Good luck to everyone. You can email me at Ruby29532@yahoo.com. in Darlington, South Carolina
Sudie

Warsaw, IN

#12 Sep 29, 2009
My husband and I live on 20 acres in Northern Indiana and he built it from scratch everything himself started in 1974. He is now disabled at 60 yrs. old and we need to sell it. The problem is it is in dire need of an update. It has the gold countertops are gold and has the original water heater. The problem is we have had no income for 3+ years from him and finally was declared disabled but the hospital bills are taking every dime we have from my income and are going to lose the home if it does not sell and for the amount owed. We have always had perfect credit but now couldn't even buy a car. He worked so hard to build this all his life to now lose it would devistate him. This was suppose to be his retirement. Please it would not take much but alot for me to handle and cannot pay anyone. My e-mail is sudieh0526@aol.com Thanks
Carolyn

Junction, WV

#13 Dec 28, 2009
Me and my Fiance was building our home for our two children that are 7 & 2. We have it pretty well done, It needs siding sinks flooring beds furniture. put it this way all I have is a refridgerater, dishwasher, bathtub, 1 bed, tv. and micawave. but to make a long story short. He shot himself about a week ago, and killed himself, and I have no idea how to finish it. Please help me. oh yes I do have water and sewer and hotwater tank. I need help so bad. Carolyn from Wv.
Michelle

Flint, MI

#14 Dec 29, 2009
It sounds like everyone on this blog think that this is an ABC/Extreme Makeover Home Edition website. You must understand that there is a 20 page application that you must submit as well as a video application before you would ever be considered for the show. This can only be found on ABC's website, not a blog. The website is www.abc.com and look for Extreme Makeover Home Edition page.
Also, before you even apply, please consider the information entered on many other blogs and websites across the web talking about the many families who are losing their homes built by Extreme Makeover Home Edition due to foreclosure because people cannot afford to pay the extremely high taxes, insurance and utilities of these mini mansions. If you do not make at least $5K per month, you might want to reconsider. You could not possibly afford the maintenance on these beautiful homes.
You would be better off contacting your local HUD program or Habitat for Humanity. There are even outreach programs through your county that might pay for home renovations and even some provide furniture vouchers. Dreams are great, but I'm just trying to keep it real here, folks.
suzanne dwyer

Watertown, CT

#16 Feb 11, 2010
I stiII beIve in miricaIs
suzanne dwyer

Watertown, CT

#17 Feb 11, 2010
sorry miracIes
Amanda Zuroff

Brainerd, MN

#18 Mar 14, 2010
I was just wondering if you were every going to come to Minnesota. I have a farm house that I ne fixe. My father n laws dream was or all of us o go back home but he died 2 weeks ago today and we never made it out there, we want to live up his dream.
Carol

Des Moines, IA

#19 Mar 17, 2010
I love extreme home makeover and watch it every day.What I see them do for familys is unbelievable.But why is it always people who already own homes? Why not the less fortunate that can't afford to own a home.And why do you have to stand out in your community???You don't have to stand out to be a good person. I have taken in so many teens from time to time over the last 13 years that they all call me mom now.I didn't announce it to the community or ask anyone for any help.I did it out of the goodness of my heart and now that I am disabled and my husband in a wheelchair I live in a low income apartment where I imagine I will die. I dont "need" a fancy exspensive house, I need a bathtub, my landlord has agreed to have one put in but her plumber is so backed up on work I have waited over a year and was told hopefully this summer.I have severe osteoperosis,osteoarthritis, COPD, enlarged liver, epilepsy, diverticular disease (colon) gastritis and Renal gland failure. I am 51 years old and all I dream of in life is a bath tub so I can soak my achy body twice a day as instructed by the doctor and maybe room for my sons to stay when they vist.One just got home from Iraq and the other was just diagnosed a year ago with MS.My husband and I have worked hard all our lives and lost everything we had overnight, was forced to move into low income housing and now 13 years later unfortunately I am still here.I lost my father when I was 13 and my mother when I was 17 and I have always worked hard to get some where without asking anyone for anything.Why is there not help for familys like mine and possibly yours?...Carol in Illinois
J Brown

Manassas, VA

#20 Apr 3, 2010
WOW do I have a house for you. We live on the Occoquan River, Just outside of Washington, D.C.. However, our place is in major disrepair. I could go on about my health problems, but I won't. I just can't do the work like you guys can. I married my High school sweetheart 20 years ago and we have 2 kids now. Man have they ripped this place up. They are getting into the tween age now and I thought this might be a good program to help people update their young child home to a more hip place for tweenager's to grow up healthy and happy. Sure wish you'd think about this idea for a show. All families need to grow..why not as the kids grow and change. Just think of all the families that could benefit from an exercise in youthfulness. It's gonna be fun!!
Gracie

Mesquite, TX

#21 Apr 19, 2010
Hello...I have a family I've been trying to help...well all of us have..but I've recently learned that there is allot more to their troubles than just merely helping to pay their electric and cable...They live in Melbourne AR...I live in Texas...the way I met them is through the internet on FB playing a game called Mafia Wars...we all became close as a game family...I've learned that they have 3 small boys..one of which has a club feet..her husband is also injured from a car accident and cannot work for the pain he feels in his legs...they have no insurance for these medical needs and it seems that Arkansas is one of the states that is a "Right to work State"...they are trying for disability for the son and have to travel to another city and can't afford to even do that...but will have to find some way of getting there...I've also learned that they live in a double wide on 2 acres of land...their home is in shambles...plumbing, walls, floors...well the whole home is falling apart around them...their children are constantly ill from the elements as they can only afford clothing for the kids as they are needed...she is taking online courses which will end if she cannot keep her electric and cable on, which I'm trying to help with as well as the other clan members of the game, Mafia Wars...I've just about exhausted all other avenues for helping this family and don't know where else to turn to in getting them the help they need...with a special needs child and a house falling around them...I was hoping that your show could help them in some way to get their home at least up to a decent standard so she doesn't have to worry about when her home will come falling down and they are left in the street. Right about now is when we need an angle or several angels to come and bless them...any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You for your time
Gracie
Kimberly Garcia

Brooklyn, NY

#22 Jun 7, 2010
in 2008 we all moved into our first home.This old house was my fiance house when he was younger until his parents retired and moved to a new house in florida. In this time Ive only been able to do as much as possible to bring it up to date(brady bunch)is its look ,beside making it handicap safe for myself. the colors are sick to my stomach yellow (master br) stairs are not so sturdy and old wood all over the house. The laundry room is the worst to get around. The guest bathroom is to small & real old tiles on the floors & walls. There are walls that where built all over that are not needed. For me with having M.S. this has become a challage I'am afraid we cant do this job alone with 3 kids.This is where I hope you come in and rip and destroy all of these problems to make my ny home the place we all deserve to enjoy.
hope to hear from you soon
KIM AND DAN

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indiana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay marriage opponents take lower profile 6 hr Gremlin 31
Indiana gay marriage supporters push hard in 2014 Mon WeTheSheeple 1
Quinn vetoes tollway speed limit hike, Oberweis... Aug 29 Steve Doner 1
Low temps, high bills (Feb '07) Aug 28 Coletrane_exe 18
Three judge panel will decide Indiana gay marri... Aug 25 Mitt s Baptism of... 1
Pence draws fire in same-sex case Aug 23 WasteWater 5
Same-sex rulings gather steam Aug 21 WasteWater 17
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Indiana People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••