"The Navy" The worst thing you can do...
ABE

Rolla, MO

#2776 Apr 5, 2013
I am a civilian now, but was in one of the very toughest jobs in the Navy shy of SPEC OPS and will tell you that the Navy, or any other job on this planet, will give you back what you are wiling to put into it. You will work hard. You will have to make sacrifices. You won't get to pick each and every thing you do while working or even how you choose to spend your off hours. These things are in every job. Period! If you walk into a job expecting a handout, you reap what you sow. There's absolutely nothing that I know of that will give you everything you ask on a platter, as these people have mentioned and whined about. My guess si that if you catch up with these morons, and they tell you the truth, they will find exactly that in the civilian sector as well.
23 years, Aircraft Launch and Recovery Equipment
Jacks

Portsmouth, VA

#2778 Apr 7, 2013
I get out next month, I would like to agree with the above argument but if only it were true, this past month my command sent me to a alcohol rehabilitation program because they are under the impression that I abuse alcohol despite turning 21 two weeks ago, I never showed up to work drunk, or hungover but because I had an empty fifth of jack daniels in my freezer during a surprise room inspection (which I am allowed to have)Im an alcoholic, it is also a command referral meaning that my command sent me, which is implied it interferred with my work so now I am being hemmed up for something i didnt do, also Im tired of being loaned out and talked down to by civilians doing their PERSONAL errands for them, getting their coffee, or taking out their garbage and unpacking their personal belongings. Im tired of people taking credit for the work I put in,staying after hours only to have none of that put on my eval, Also working with people that DONT SHOWER!!!WTF......... the work I do isnt hard, I love working hard, and sweating for my money its the work I do that gets on my nerves the navy advertises "accelerate your life" however my life has not been accelerated at all, I have yet to go on deployment, or do any of the exciting things I hear all these old salts, and other people talking about, I put countless volunteer hours, I take up as many collateral duties at possible just to keep myself busy and be noticeable, I have gotten nothing out this career at all but lonliness and boredom. Im done complaining. Good luck
Highschool

Ephrata, WA

#2779 Apr 8, 2013
I am a sophomore girl in highshool and Im looking to join the navy. Any tips? What should I take advantage of and what should I watch out for? Thanks.
ABE3 Fml

Chicago, IL

#2781 Apr 16, 2013
I was an ABE.
GOT THE HELL OUT AND USED MY GI BILL
Hawk 59

West Union, SC

#2782 Apr 17, 2013
Why should i join the navy besides joining for my country?
Chiefs are assclowns

Virginia Beach, VA

#2783 Apr 17, 2013
I did 3 years active duty in the Navy years ago and now work for a private contractor for the Navy (civilian). One thing that has not been address here is dealing with retired chiefs. These bozos are abundant in the civilian contract world and let me tell you-they are the biggest bunch of asswipe losers that i have ever had to deal with. Doing a stint in the Navy is an overall good experience to put under your belt. You take learn from the experience and move on. But these retired Chiefs-they get so used to the canoe club that they created for themselves in the Navy that they just can't understand when people in the real world tell them to go fuck themselves. They carry the good ole boy chief mentality with them in the civilian world and it usually does not work well for them. You hear about "how we did it in the navy" and no one gives a rat's ass. They think that thier rank transfers to the real world-sorry but NO!! They group together and try to recreate what they had in the Navy.

So if any of you single enlistment Navy folks are considering getting a job in military contacting, be warned. You can never escape the big bellied baffoons with the over inflated egos and permanently hook finger from walking around carrying a coffee cup and barking orders. You can tell them to shove the BS up their flabbys asses-but you can never escape
Hawk 59

West Union, SC

#2784 Apr 19, 2013
why should i join the nazy besides for fighting for my country?
FMF

United States

#2786 Apr 29, 2013
Corpsman wrote:
"u guys! i jus signed up for the navy! i got the job of a hospital corpsman! i dont know if thats a good job!"
well lets see, you will never pick up rank! their is to many of us. going with the marines is not optional, it is now a requierment for males, so you WILL be in iraq. I joined as a corpsman and not even 5 months later me and everyone in my corps school class were kicking sand and getting shot at by ragheads. If you want to do somthing smart, be a Nuke, IT, Crypto, not a corpsman, im sorry i joined as an HM

COWARD!!! I have been a corpsman for 5 years deployed to Afghanistan in 2010. You sound like a whinny bitch
marissa

Alphington, Australia

#2787 Apr 30, 2013
im only 13 but i want to chalenge myself and spexperience different things in life iv aways looked up to soldeirs?
Shipm8

Hilo, HI

#2788 May 3, 2013
To every paperclip who has posted on this excellent discussion, THANK YOU. This thread was my go-to during a 9 month deployment last year when I needed to blow off some steam and read some paperclip material! I can't wait to join you guys who have done your time.

PAPERCLIP 865 to NC
Lucas

Japan

#2789 May 9, 2013
I am currently a civilian DOD employee and did 4 years in the military from 96-2000. I had a blast living in Japan and visiting other countries on deployment. Sure it was hard work especially on the ship with a 12-18 hour workdays. I worked flight ops on an aircraft carrier and loved every minute of it. The only reason I decided to get out was because I got married and started a family and I thought the 8 months out of a year I was deployed a bit much. I am still living in Japan but moving to Hawaii this month on a PCS move. I am seriously thinking about joining the Navy reserves to serve my country again. The job skills you learn in the Navy may not translate well into the civilian sector but the experience and discipline do. 4 years of the Navy and I did not claim 1 disability like most people do today. I was proud to be apart of the greatest fighting force the world has ever known and proud to serve my country. All you cry babies who join the military then talk about how much it sucks need to grow up. It is what you make it. If you wanna bitch about your duties and how much your vagina hurts then its gonna be a long enlistment for you. If you take advantage of all it has to offer and work hard you might just learn to like it.
ANOTHER CORPSMAN

Arlington, VA

#2790 May 10, 2013
I am currently stationed at the WALTER REED NATIONAL MILITARY MEDICAL CENTER IN BETHESDA MARYLAND. For anyone looking to join the navy or be a corpsman let me tell you..... First off let me just say that I have never recieved anything less than an outstanding on a PRT (physical readiness test i.e. run,sit ups, push ups) I'm 20 years old, black, and not one of the many "wierd folk" that overwhelm the navy. I've spent hours and hours looking up all I thought I would need to know on websites and forums, trying to ask those who have "been there done that" and seek advice or insight. Here is what I have found. THE NAVY, is bullshit. If you want to be treated like a CHILD. Please join. We will hold your hand, micromanage you, and tell you how and when to do something. Literally. No, I am serious, its that literal. And as far as being a CORPSMAN hahahah a medic? lmfao GET THE FUCK OUT. You wanna know what a shore duty corpsman does? You CHANGE SHEETS, MAKE BEDS, TAKE OUT TRASH. DRAW BLOOD (OHHHH SOO COOL). START IV'S. GIVE SHOTS. AND WIPE ASS. But 95% of the time your changing sheets and taking out trash. The job sucks. And I try and always find a "happy place" in all the chaos yet even here you CAN NOT come to work and just work. There is ALWAYS something extra. You can't even lay low and just do your job, BECAUSE SOMEBODY had a bad day/night and guess what HN/E3-E4 ITS YOUR FAULT. SO FUCK YOU. Basically. THE BEST THING I CAN SAY FOR YOU IF YOU DO BECOME A CORPSMAN IS NO MATTER WHAT I SAY AGAIN NO MATTER WHAT GET A FUCKING "C" SCHOOL, I KNOW YOU MAY NOT WANT TO BE A SURG TECH OR DENTAL OR WHAT THE HELL EVER BUT UNLESS YOU WANT TO FOR SURE GO WITH THE MARINES GET A "C" SCHOOL I AM DOING YOU A FAVOR WHICH IS WHY I'M TYPING ALL THIS SHIT. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GET A "C" SCHOOL. AND IF NOT, GO WEST COAST! WEST COAST! WEST COAST! THE EAST COAST IS ANAL AS A BUTTHOLE. FOR EXAMPLE: EAST COAST BE THERE AT 0600... I.E. 0545!! EXACTLY.....(THAT MEANS 10 MINUTES EARLY ON TOP OF THE ALREADY NOTED 15 MINUTES FOR A 0600 START)WEST COAST BE THERE AT 0600 (SO LIKE AROUND 0615). BUT OVERALL DON'T JOIN, GET A FUCKING SCHOOL LOAN, TRUST ME. GET A LOAN. GET GOOD GRADES, AND WORK SMARTER NOT HARDER. LOOK ON SOME STRAIGHT SHIT, ITS LIKE THIS, civilians work to live. military live to work. DON'T FUCK YOURSELF.
ANOTHER CORPSMAN

Arlington, VA

#2791 May 10, 2013
Captain Redneck moon pie wrote:
I was thinking about joining the Navy Reserve, looking for giving back to my country any info.
LET ME WARN YOU NOW, EVERY NAVY CORPSMAN RESERVIST THAT I KNOW HAS TOLD ME. RESERVISTS GET DEPLOYED TWICE AS MUCH AS ACTIVE DUTY.
ANOTHER CORPSMAN

Arlington, VA

#2793 May 10, 2013
ABE wrote:
I am a civilian now, but was in one of the very toughest jobs in the Navy shy of SPEC OPS and will tell you that the Navy, or any other job on this planet, will give you back what you are wiling to put into it. You will work hard. You will have to make sacrifices. You won't get to pick each and every thing you do while working or even how you choose to spend your off hours. These things are in every job. Period! If you walk into a job expecting a handout, you reap what you sow. There's absolutely nothing that I know of that will give you everything you ask on a platter, as these people have mentioned and whined about. My guess si that if you catch up with these morons, and they tell you the truth, they will find exactly that in the civilian sector as well.
23 years, Aircraft Launch and Recovery Equipment
You sir are a moron.

False: It is in fact NOT like the civilian sector.

False: If you "get what you put into it" lets think... Put in all the scheduled hours, off duty hours, and personal investment a 23 year retired cheif puts in.... hmm CEO (civilian) Chief (navy) hmm.... thats a tuff choice. I'll take CEO

False: As a civilian, you actually DO choose what you do in your off hours. Dumb ass.

False: You do pick what you do at work because if you don't like it, hey.... quit.

True: You are a MORON.

You see, the problem here is ignorance. The reason why people talk shit about those who got out and aren't doing anything is because you more frequently here about the BAD stories rather than the good. The typical oh hey joe smoe doesn't have a job. Well guess what, joe smoe didn't use his GI bill, or failed his classes, joe smoe is lazy, and joe smoe is burnt out. And now, he is the image of those who don't retire from the military.[You sir, are simply ignorant]
ANOTHER CORPSMAN

Arlington, VA

#2794 May 10, 2013
Highschool wrote:
I am a sophomore girl in highshool and Im looking to join the navy. Any tips? What should I take advantage of and what should I watch out for? Thanks.
yeah, read the forums. don't join. take out a student loan. be free child.
Halo

Japan

#2796 May 10, 2013
Lucas wrote:
I am currently a civilian DOD employee and did 4 years in the military from 96-2000. I had a blast living in Japan and visiting other countries on deployment. Sure it was hard work especially on the ship with a 12-18 hour workdays. I worked flight ops on an aircraft carrier and loved every minute of it. The only reason I decided to get out was because I got married and started a family and I thought the 8 months out of a year I was deployed a bit much. I am still living in Japan but moving to Hawaii this month on a PCS move. I am seriously thinking about joining the Navy reserves to serve my country again. The job skills you learn in the Navy may not translate well into the civilian sector but the experience and discipline do. 4 years of the Navy and I did not claim 1 disability like most people do today. I was proud to be apart of the greatest fighting force the world has ever known and proud to serve my country. All you cry babies who join the military then talk about how much it sucks need to grow up. It is what you make it. If you wanna bitch about your duties and how much your vagina hurts then its gonna be a long enlistment for you. If you take advantage of all it has to offer and work hard you might just learn to like it.
Once again, another Joe Navy who simply doesn't get it. For real, how do you guys even find this place?

In case anyone thinking of joining the world's most pathetic navy finds this place, take note. You have the Joe Navy's who keep talking about how a art the real world is and how you deal with the same down sides in the navy as you do as a civilian because "it's what you make of it".

Ask yourselves this, how many times do adult civilians get a curfew because someone in another city got in trouble (Japan 2012)? How many times did you have to let your boss inspect you car before you took a trip on vacation? How many times did you get put on restriction because you got caught out past 7pm without your "librirty buddy"? How many times did you have to show your boss a written report if your plans for the weekend including where you will be; who you will be with; and what you will be doing? How many times did you get woken up because someone was coming in your room to do a random inspection? How many months were you seperated from your family because you aren't a high enough pay grade to be allowed to be with them? How many of you aren't allowed to have a car; not because you can't afford it but because you aren't a high enough pay grade? how many of you sleep in the same room as 2 to 3 other adults (and that is shore duty). Ansewer those questions then tell me how much better the Navy is than the civilian world.
ANOTHER CORPSMAN

Arlington, VA

#2797 May 10, 2013
bdt781 wrote:
you make it seem like enlitees are dumb... i take offense... i was in top 10 % in high school... have an iq of 160 ... spent some time in college ... pre med .... realized it was not for me... and joined the navy... oh i am an eagle scout too... military is in my family and navy was and is my dream .... i serve my coutry blindly no matter what
All those brains and you don't amount to anything more than a chess piece? Cool story bro.
ixion

Redlands, CA

#2798 May 14, 2013
@Jason Braver...Lieutenant Commander is LCDR and not "LTCMDR"...EPIC FAIL!!!
Jason Braver wrote:
Obviously, you were only semi-literate when you joined, had an attitude problem to go with it, and disklike anything that isn't handed out to you or doesn't go your way. I AM in the Navy right now. I KNOW what it's like, and I KNOW what I'm talking about and I've seen my share of your type during my career. And you don't have a thing in the world going for you except your hatred and inherent need to blame the whole world for the problems you yourself created. The Navy can help you grow, but you have to be at a certain level of maturity when you go in. As I see it, the only mistake the Navy has made is in accepting you in the first place. I feel sorry for you, but then again---nah...you've brought it all on yourself. Good luck in whatever else you try in life. Perhaps someday you will figure it out.
Jason Braver
LTCMDR
USN
krated

United States

#2799 May 18, 2013
I personally don't care what an officer has to say about The Navy..I didn't have the luxury of getting my college payed for my family was broke despite having a 4.0 gpa I enlisted 3 days after I graduated highschool june 2010 I was told I could attend college while in...chits never got approved, I was told I could attain leadership...false.....I was told my rate was honorable, hard working, action oriented and important....false as well. I paint ships....I desperately wanted to prove my worth to the higher ups the work I actually did I didn't receive credit for my chief did despite never stepping foot in my department. No deployment, no sea stories. Of course officers are going to love the Navy you get payed while getting an education. You get treated like human beings people care enough about you to teach you...whereas me being a 3rd class no one cares to teach you anything. I got a 93 on my asvab im not stupid but im treated and looked at like I am . Im young I want to do nothing but make my mother proud and prove that im invaluable but I don't get any opportunity, now when I get out I will be 24 I will already have a latestart on my career and education...recruiters lie....I was heavily lied to...but I was also ignorant.
Halo

Iwata, Japan

#2800 May 19, 2013
krated wrote:
I personally don't care what an officer has to say about The Navy..I didn't have the luxury of getting my college payed for my family was broke despite having a 4.0 gpa I enlisted 3 days after I graduated highschool june 2010 I was told I could attend college while in...chits never got approved, I was told I could attain leadership...false.....I was told my rate was honorable, hard working, action oriented and important....false as well. I paint ships....I desperately wanted to prove my worth to the higher ups the work I actually did I didn't receive credit for my chief did despite never stepping foot in my department. No deployment, no sea stories. Of course officers are going to love the Navy you get payed while getting an education. You get treated like human beings people care enough about you to teach you...whereas me being a 3rd class no one cares to teach you anything. I got a 93 on my asvab im not stupid but im treated and looked at like I am . Im young I want to do nothing but make my mother proud and prove that im invaluable but I don't get any opportunity, now when I get out I will be 24 I will already have a latestart on my career and education...recruiters lie....I was heavily lied to...but I was also ignorant.
I feel for you man I really do. The navy sure is good at wasting the lives of its people. Personally I feel nothing but shame and embarrassment every time I put on this uniform.

Don't be too hard on yourself though. It isn't like they tell you about all the ways they will fuck you before you join. They do a real good job of keeping that stuff hush hush. The best thing we can do is be a vocal as possible so that other people see what we have been through and know to stay as far away from the Navy as possible.

Best of luck to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Illinois Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Hells Angels Leader Sentenced (Nov '06) Fri Frank 196
News Why Is Pelosi Losing Sleep Over Bustos' Re-Elec... Sep 27 Le Jimbo 1
News Morning Spin: Trump's suburban Chicago fundrais... Sep 26 Flying carpet 2
News The 'Spiritual Battle' Over the Dakota Access P... Sep 20 the Stand 1
News Easy resolution unlikely for contentious Dakota... Sep 19 the Stand 1
News Liberals, Labor Unions Come To Blows Over Dakot... Sep 19 the Stand 1
News Native American Student Union joins efforts opp... Sep 19 the Stand 1
More from around the web