"The Navy" The worst thing you can do...
CTR2

Wahiawa, HI

#2750 Jan 28, 2013
Most enlistees are stupid.
SubNukeMM

United States

#2751 Jan 30, 2013
bdt781 wrote:
i serve my coutry blindly no matter what
It sounds like you'd have made a good Nazi. If you really were "patriotic" or whatever, you'd care about what your government does and question the policies and actions they pursue, not "blindly" follow them.

Your Founding Fathers would be appalled by your statement. Dissent and questioning systematic power structures is a good thing. Simply "following orders" is not only detrimental to your country, but also detrimental to your intellectual development. I suggest you read Arendt's "The Banality of Evil" to understand the mindset that you seem to value.
SubNukeMM

United States

#2752 Jan 30, 2013
Read this if you want to really understand what the Navy is all about: http://www.answercoalition.org/march-forward/...
colt1911

Portsmouth, VA

#2753 Jan 31, 2013
For the prospective Sailors wanting to enlist, read.

Enlist only if you have no other choice and you want to serve your country, if you have no job, no career or a sub par education than it is a good idea to enlist, when you do your 4 years you get health care, a way to build your resume, money for college and housing and valuable life experience on what not to do.

However....if you have a college education, your not struggling with finances, you want your voice heard, you like healthy competition and a decent standard of living, and leadership opportunities become an Officer.

if you are in highschool right now and saying "I really want to enlist" get that idea out of your head, do no go to a recruiter, instead GO TO COLLEGE, do NROTC if you want to serve.
SubNukeMM

United States

#2754 Feb 1, 2013
- If you want your opinion to matter, don't join the Navy.

- If you have common sense and enjoy dealing with other rational people, don't join the Navy.

- If you think that "because I told you so" is a poor argument, don't join the Navy.

- If you value spending time with your family, friends, and loved ones, don't join the Navy.

- If you enjoy having time off from your job to pursue your hobbies, don't join the Navy.

- If you join the Navy, don't volunteer for submarine service, it's the worst of the worst of the Navy.
EX-NAVY CORPS WAVE

Gastonia, NC

#2755 Feb 6, 2013
All of the negative vibes about Corpsman are true, sadly, it is what it is.
Unless you plan to make the Navy a life-long career, it is most definitely not the rate you should choose for 4 years. With the changes in the Navy, I don't know of too many people that want to stay in for 20 years. It's just not what it use to be. I should know...I'm a Navy Vet and my son is getting ready to be medically retired at the age of 24.
The Navy is huge...there is no camaraderie anymore...it's a dog eat sailor Navy.
Go Coast Guard...they are small, they care about their Enlisted ranks...officers and enlisted tend to become close friends.
Upon leaving the Navy, a trained Navy Corpsman, irregardless of how much experience they have, must undergo all of the necessary training to become a licensed health practitioner just like civilians. No brownie points for your sacrifice to Country. I'm living proof.
Halo

Japan

#2756 Feb 6, 2013
Swcc wrote:
None of you have a clue. You're all just a bunch of complaining pukes that can't handle being away from mommy.
Yup, take note because this guy is the sort of fine individual you will meet in the Navy. Never mind that the Navy is fucked up on every level, if you call them out on their bullshit you will be told real quick that it is all your fault. Good job Navy. Keep it classy.
mslady

Hayward, CA

#2758 Feb 11, 2013
if you don't attend college and obtain a degree before you go to the navy, or if you can't past all the test to make rank then why torture yourself and joining the navy. Just go to college who cares if you get student loans hell its better than not having a life, and besides the military is an institutionalized environment to control the minds of people
changingmind

Atlanta, GA

#2760 Feb 18, 2013
So do any one have any advice for a 33 year old leaving in less that ninety days. Will be comming in as a E-3. Should I consider. Wanted to join to pay off student loans as well as earn money for going back to school for a more practical degree. Andy suggestions would be a great help.
Halo

Japan

#2761 Feb 26, 2013
changingmind wrote:
So do any one have any advice for a 33 year old leaving in less that ninety days. Will be comming in as a E-3. Should I consider. Wanted to join to pay off student loans as well as earn money for going back to school for a more practical degree. Andy suggestions would be a great help.
First and foremost, make damn sure that the student loan repayment is in your contract before you enter.

Don't let the e3 thing fool you. E3s are just seamen, nothing more. Sure, you get to take the e4 test before an e1 or e2, but you also won't have the time in rate, or award points that those guys have. Those tests are all jus luck of the draw. Best bet is don't get in trouble and kiss ass to get a good evaul. That is about all you can do.

Also, get ready to have a 25 year old tell you that you are a waste of skin if you don't have a shinny toe on your boots.

And God help you if you have a family.
Danny

Los Angeles, CA

#2762 Mar 8, 2013
What's life like in the navy as an sh?
Strfkr

Santa Ana, CA

#2766 Mar 13, 2013
Biggest waste of my time and life, I could've been doin something else.

It's not like you know what your getting into when u first join but after a while you'll see how the majority are only out for themselves and will fukk you over if they don't like you, want to get great evals, place blame ,etc... The navy will fukk every aspect of your life. Your relationships with family, friends, wife, kids and all. The navy is always first. Your life and everything else means nothing to them.

I been in for 5 years, never ever got in trouble, did all that I needed and stayed under the radar. The moment you have one small mistake and they treat u. Like a sh!tbag, like all the hard work you put in doesn't exist.

I came here to do a job and learn, not to kiss a$$ to be close to the leadership. This isn't highschool, there is no need for groups, cliques or popularity circles , but that's all it is. I got like a year left once I'm out, I'm out. I won't be like the rest of them that depends on the navy like a baby to a breast nipple sucking all it can to get big and plump. I rather have a real job.
Charlie

Bloomfield, CT

#2767 Mar 13, 2013
I served in the Navy for six years as an electrician's mate some moments good and some not so good. I always be thankful of places I have visited that I might have seen otherwise. Not so much how far I made it and what I learned from a book.
Jake

Virginia Beach, VA

#2768 Mar 17, 2013
I signed up for a six year program where I was supposed to get an NEC coded 'C' school and early advancement to E-4. It did not work out that way. I didn't get paid for E-4 for a whole eight months (with no back pay!) and every time I was to be sent to 'C' school the division officer would decide to send someone else in my place. I was to be on my first ship for only a year if they did not honor my contract. I was on the USS Milwaukee for more than four years. The detailer could not help me because my ship refused to update my service record in D.C..
David Yoder Retired E7

Asahicho, Japan

#2770 Mar 18, 2013
Like all jobs there are good and bad. I was in the Navy twice then the Army and then the Air Force. They all have good and bad points just like a job in civilian life. I am sure that if the complainer above had leave to take and was in good standing he would have been granted leave to take care of family business. If he had taken 8 days off from his civilian job without permission he would have been fired. The part he left out about Japan is because two enlisted men went out got drunk and raped a 13 year old Japanese girl so to make sure it don't happen again they make them go out with buddies who will hull their dumb ass back to the ship if they get drunk and disorderly.
So as you see there are always two sides to a story. if you want good honest advice email me at [email protected] and I will tell you the good and bad of any military job.
Yuuupppppppp

Kirkland, WA

#2771 Mar 20, 2013
Did my six years, made it to E-5, always got EPs, hated every second.

To those who are in: do your time, get out, go to college, enjoy your life, and spend time with your family. Life is too short to be one of these drones that come here and tell people that don't like the Navy that they are dumb or lazy.

It sucks soooo bad while your in, but once your out you will be glad you went through it and will be a better person for the experience. Just don't do anything stupid that can negatively effect your civilian life.
Halo

Japan

#2772 Mar 21, 2013
Oh yeah. As mentioned above. The navy is super big abou punishing everyone for one persons mistake. Not just in boot camp where everyone might have to do PT cause some guy forgot to shave, but that is like their whole philosophy throughout the entire fleet.

If one guy messes up, they will punish an entire ship/command/country. It's like they get off on that stuff. And if you say anything about how rediculous it is, they tell you the same navy bullshit excuses over and over again "there is a reason for everything, even if you can't see it", "I could always be worse.", "this is nothing compared to what I went through back when blah blah blah blah.".

Rinse and repete. Same navy BS.
Captain Redneck moon pie

United States

#2773 Mar 23, 2013
I was thinking about joining the Navy Reserve, looking for giving back to my country any info.
Halo

Japan

#2774 Mar 25, 2013
Captain Redneck moon pie wrote:
I was thinking about joining the Navy Reserve, looking for giving back to my country any info.
All the reservists I've met have been pretty cool people and since they have to live in the real world and not just Navy land, they seem to be pretty removed from a lot of the bullshit that goes on in the regular fleet.

Can't speak from first hand knowledge, but I've got nothing bad to say about the reserves.
CTR2

Wahiawa, HI

#2775 Mar 25, 2013
Halo wrote:
<quoted text>
All the reservists I've met have been pretty cool people and since they have to live in the real world and not just Navy land, they seem to be pretty removed from a lot of the bullshit that goes on in the regular fleet.
Can't speak from first hand knowledge, but I've got nothing bad to say about the reserves.
I agree with everything you said. The fact I would add is that they can deploy reservists as easily as full time active duty, which, may cause problems.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Illinois Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Region's homeless shelters awarded grants (Oct '08) Sun friendly user 267
Illinois lottery scam? (Feb '10) Sun judged 168
News Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner signs gay conversion... Aug 26 Sneaky Pete 26
News Rauner, GOP rally at state fair; Dems nix vetoes Aug 23 sam 1
News Chicago Bankruptcy Expert Brian P. Deshur Share... Aug 21 KnutesNiche 1
News Full court won't rehear ex-Gov. Blagojevich's a... Aug 20 see the light 3
Can the newly elected Carrollton alderman save ... Aug 19 Greene County Wat... 18
More from around the web