"The Navy" The worst thing you can do...
Atheist29

United States

#2689 Oct 27, 2012
I sit here in my rack o. The barge because my ship is dry docked. All you idiots who talk shit on the military are just jack asses that couldn't hack it. One thing you have to understand when in the military you are under contract and can't be fire unless you are a complete moron where as in the civilian world your boss can come up to you tomorrow and tell you to kick rocks and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. I have 9 years in and about to finish my degree in software engineering. Once I retire at 39 I can start a second career and then retire again at 65. So to the idiot who was talking about student loans and paying them off in 10 years you are an idiot. I know 2 good friends with mechanical engineering degrees who are sitting at 12 years and still paying them off. Please don't open your mouths about a subject you didn't have the balls to see through to the end. Oh, and juggerfag how sad you couldn't hack it. Then make excuses that you where lied to, there is a difference between being lied to and failing to open your eyes and see the truth.
Atheist29

United States

#2690 Oct 27, 2012
Jason Braver wrote:
Obviously, you were only semi-literate when you joined, had an attitude problem to go with it, and disklike anything that isn't handed out to you or doesn't go your way. I AM in the Navy right now. I KNOW what it's like, and I KNOW what I'm talking about and I've seen my share of your type during my career. And you don't have a thing in the world going for you except your hatred and inherent need to blame the whole world for the problems you yourself created. The Navy can help you grow, but you have to be at a certain level of maturity when you go in. As I see it, the only mistake the Navy has made is in accepting you in the first place. I feel sorry for you, but then again---nah...you've brought it all on yourself. Good luck in whatever else you try in life. Perhaps someday you will figure it out.
Jason Braver
LTCMDR
USN
Well said sir!!
Atheist29

United States

#2691 Oct 27, 2012
namvet wrote:
<quoted text> First of all never trust your recruiter, I repeat never trust him/her. If they tell you that you're guaranteed a school or special training you get them to put it in writing.(a contract) You're enlisting for a certain amount of time and depending on the length time you may get an "A" school. As far as you're departure date,
the recruiters have so many billets that they have to fill for each month, if they fill these billets it generally means they can stay on as a recruiter that much longer. With you having a departure date of July 2007 tells me he/she is a pretty good recruiter.
Please stop with this kind of non sense...The recruiter is there to simply give a marketing spill that's it. Your job, ship date and school is determined not by your recruiter but by MEPS and when your recruiter takes you to MEPS he/she isn't even allowed past a certain point and at least at the DALLAS MEPS that point of no pass isn't more than a few feet from the elevator. Now, I have heard of some shady recruiters lie about the pay but if a recruit falls for that then they deserve to get played because the pay chart is public knowledge but to imply that a recruiter can lie to you about ship date or school is retarded. USN 9 years active.
noftogive

Honolulu, HI

#2692 Oct 29, 2012
Atheist29 wrote:
I sit here in my rack o. The barge because my ship is dry docked. All you idiots who talk shit on the military are just jack asses that couldn't hack it. One thing you have to understand when in the military you are under contract and can't be fire unless you are a complete moron where as in the civilian world your boss can come up to you tomorrow and tell you to kick rocks and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. I have 9 years in and about to finish my degree in software engineering. Once I retire at 39 I can start a second career and then retire again at 65. So to the idiot who was talking about student loans and paying them off in 10 years you are an idiot. I know 2 good friends with mechanical engineering degrees who are sitting at 12 years and still paying them off. Please don't open your mouths about a subject you didn't have the balls to see through to the end. Oh, and juggerfag how sad you couldn't hack it. Then make excuses that you where lied to, there is a difference between being lied to and failing to open your eyes and see the truth.
You're incorrect, you can't be kicked out for just being a moron as you say. They're are plenty of morons and lazy people that stay in and make it just fine never getting kicked out. They can be repeatedly late and never do work and they'll just get DRB's or restriction. As a civilian you get fired for those things. Unless you do drugs, or commit a no sh!t crime. Odds are you're not get "fired" from the navy. I'm surrounded by these morons you speak of, and that's the majority of people who stay in, they never got "fired". It's also quite apparent you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to the civilian sector. No boss can walk up to you and tell you to "kick rocks" for no reason at all. That's how companies get sewed you moron. If companies are down sizing they give severance to any one let go. To get fired as a civilian there needs to be a valid reason. Since you joined at 18/19 years old I know you have no REAL world experience. All you know is what your weak minded leaders and ignorant military environment have taught you. Nine years not being a civilian and that's proof enough to say anything you knew about the civilian world is now gone and filled with what the Blanket of the DoD has covered you with. Why are these people idiots for talking smack on the military? They're just venting. Let the kids vent, their discontent doesn't effect you. You are proving to be the jackass you claim these other people out to be with every word you type.

Alas you stay your uninformed,ill-educated, ignorant self. So better people will want to get out and make a difference instead of having their minds rot in the military. The fact that you agree with a false O-4 from a post that's 6 years old, by someone who's dumb enough to put the abbreviation of LTCR as LTCMDR just proves how duhhhhhhhhhh dumb you really are.

FTN, PAPERCLIP- 598.
noftogive

Honolulu, HI

#2693 Oct 29, 2012
Sued*
krause

Virginia Beach, VA

#2694 Nov 4, 2012
Why is it you hear so many Enlisted people hating the Navy, and not that many officers?

Thats why Im becoming an officer as soon as my shitty enlistment is up. shit $2800 for being an 0-1 ...plus $1400 BAH, you get to PICK your orders THATS THE LIFE lol, and no god awful shitty barracks....compared to the $1600 an E-1 makes no BAH until your E-5 or your married, which you still can barely support a family on. not to mention the shit work that only enlisted can do, because their not good enough, and all the cleaning an maintenance an extremely long hours put in...you know who gets all the recognition, not the enlisted who actually do most of the work, but the officers mostly the CO who was probably sleeping or lounging in his cabin while you were slaving away. its amazing what a college degree and a kickass time partying it up an college can get you.
Halo

Handa, Japan

#2695 Nov 5, 2012
I liked the Navy before I got in.
I have met some really bad people who are only still in because they are scared of the real world and enjoy the power and safety the Navy gives them. I have also met some really great people, in fact, some of the best I've ever seen. Trouble is, which of those two types of people do you think stays in and makes rank?

The organization itself is a joke. It really is. It is a fake world were stupid shit is regarded as important and real issues are ignored. The only constant is that every day is just a little worse than the last.
Halo

Japan

#2696 Nov 6, 2012
To elaborate on my first post. The Navy loves the reputation it has earned in decades past an loves to throw that in your face. They tell you how you should be proud and motivated one minute and treat you like shit, and expect you to smile and carry on. They talk about honor, courage, and commitment. But I have seen none of that. It's just propaganda.

And then their are the shitbag Joe Navy types that eat that shit up. They are the first to tell you how wrong you are for your bad additude, no matter how fucked up the situation was that caused you to stop caring. They have an excuse for everything. "at least you aren't on a ship" "at least you aren't in the sandbox" "well, that's the Navy for you" "it's just what you make of it". I am done with it. The Navy is a joke.
Giovani

Highland, CA

#2697 Nov 11, 2012
Skippy wrote:
I joined the Navy in March and all I can say is it is the last branch I expected to join. I was all set to enlist in the Marine Corps but I wanted to be a chaplain assistant and the Marines didn't have that job, however the Navy does and I saw that they can be qualified for Fleet Marine Force so I told my recruiter to sign me up. I do have one question though--why are people so insistent on calling the Navy gay? I'm probably the most anti-gay person on the planet and one thing I cannot stand is someone calling me gay solely because I joined the Navy. Can anyone explain this to me?
what the hell man I'm gay
Halo

Japan

#2698 Nov 12, 2012
Giovani,
Navy gets a rap for being "gay" because there is an old stigma about the types of guys who would be ok going out to sea and living in close quarters with other dudes for months at a time. Submariners get it the worst.

And, the Navy isn't one of the "tough" branches like the army or the marines, our dress uniforms look odd by today's standards, and stuff like that.

We got a lesbian in my section and a tranny in the barracks and they get along just fine though. I havnt seen too much at all in the way of anti gay stuff since I have been in.

Paperclip 1098
Halo

Japan

#2699 Nov 12, 2012
Sorry, i was replying to Skippy
pirate

Cardiff By The Sea, CA

#2700 Nov 12, 2012
Skippy wrote:
I joined the Navy in March and all I can say is it is the last branch I expected to join. I was all set to enlist in the Marine Corps but I wanted to be a chaplain assistant and the Marines didn't have that job, however the Navy does and I saw that they can be qualified for Fleet Marine Force so I told my recruiter to sign me up. I do have one question though--why are people so insistent on calling the Navy gay? I'm probably the most anti-gay person on the planet and one thing I cannot stand is someone calling me gay solely because I joined the Navy. Can anyone explain this to me?
Maybe cus you are
DidiMakemistake

Atlanta, GA

#2701 Nov 19, 2012
hello all,
I recently enlisted into the DEP Navy as a AZ (Avivation Maintanance Adminstrationman)under the rank E-3 (because I have a MS Degree). I was wondering if anyone had any experience or knows anything about this classification. The reason why I didnt go attempt the officer program was becauase I had some bumps and brusies during my the college school years(2 MJ charge posseion both dropped ) which required me or apply for a civil waiver. So I fiqured I would just work my way up. Anyways, I was so happy that I was accpected into the Navy and my waiverd was approved that I picked the first thing offered that was based in administration (since my degree in in Public Admistraion). Now as time went on I began to read up on the duties and responsibilites of the job title in addtion to reading various experiences of enlisted saliors with the navy and doubt began to surface about the recent decision I made about enlisting into the NAVY. So I come to ask two questions : First: Can any help me out as to whether or not this is classification(AZ)would be of any interest or has any potential of advancement in rank; Second: Should I inquire about the offcier program instead, or is it difficult to become/transition from an officer from an enlisted? Help any would be of great benefit.
Halo

Japan

#2702 Nov 19, 2012
DidiMakemistake
My personal opinion. The navy is not for smart people. I have a BS and admit that some times I feels like I don't fit in. They don't care how smart you are or what you know how to do. They have their way of doing things, even if it is stupid, they expect you to just smile and nod. Your education and intellect will most likely be wasted.

I supposed you were told that as an E3 you would be put into leadership positions? You won't E1-E3 is just seaman. That's all. There is no respect what so ever. You will get bitched at by high school drop outs because you didn't tie your shoes right or something.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good people in the navy, but they tend to get out asap so they aren't in positions of power.
NavyJack

Virginia Beach, VA

#2703 Nov 21, 2012
DidiMakemistake wrote:
hello all,
I recently enlisted into the DEP Navy as a AZ (Avivation Maintanance Adminstrationman)under the rank E-3 (because I have a MS Degree). I was wondering if anyone had any experience or knows anything about this classification. The reason why I didnt go attempt the officer program was becauase I had some bumps and brusies during my the college school years(2 MJ charge posseion both dropped ) which required me or apply for a civil waiver. So I fiqured I would just work my way up. Anyways, I was so happy that I was accpected into the Navy and my waiverd was approved that I picked the first thing offered that was based in administration (since my degree in in Public Admistraion). Now as time went on I began to read up on the duties and responsibilites of the job title in addtion to reading various experiences of enlisted saliors with the navy and doubt began to surface about the recent decision I made about enlisting into the NAVY. So I come to ask two questions : First: Can any help me out as to whether or not this is classification(AZ)would be of any interest or has any potential of advancement in rank; Second: Should I inquire about the offcier program instead, or is it difficult to become/transition from an officer from an enlisted? Help any would be of great benefit.
Whatever you do, and I cannot say this in strong enough words, if you have a degree DO NOT ENLIST! Officer programs are the only way it's worthwhile to join the Navy unless you have no other way to put food on your table. As an E-3 your pay will be abysmal, your work hours will be beyond terrible, and you will be someones bitch for menial tasks and scrubbing decks. It doesn't matter if you're older than JO's and have a degree and some real life experience. You will have no respect on any level as a junior enlisted person. The officer life is completely different from the enlisted life. Look at the pay charts, look at the living conditions, and please believe if you enlist you will hate yourself for wasting your time in college first. Get the waiver, go officer, and if you have any student loan debt the military will most likely pay it off.
DeepSea doc

Lake Elsinore, CA

#2704 Nov 21, 2012
Halo wrote:
To elaborate on my first post. The Navy loves the reputation it has earned in decades past an loves to throw that in your face. They tell you how you should be proud and motivated one minute and treat you like shit, and expect you to smile and carry on. They talk about honor, courage, and commitment. But I have seen none of that. It's just propaganda.
And then their are the shitbag Joe Navy types that eat that shit up. They are the first to tell you how wrong you are for your bad additude, no matter how fucked up the situation was that caused you to stop caring. They have an excuse for everything. "at least you aren't on a ship" "at least you aren't in the sandbox" "well, that's the Navy for you" "it's just what you make of it". I am done with it. The Navy is a joke.
Man oh man. Perfect description of the navy. And I don't even have a " shit job" I am a diver, it's supposed to be cool, but the navy found a way to make it shit
DeepSea doc

Lake Elsinore, CA

#2705 Nov 22, 2012
Kevin wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, anger from someone who played and failed. Well, first of all, he didn't call you or refer to you all as "Parasites". He never even said you were weak. You either failed to meet certain standards or decided it wasn't for you. I've been in for 9 years, and I have had my ups and downs. There are more reasons than money that I joined. Money is a good thing to have these days, but it's not everything. I'm a Corpsman myself and have been deployed 4 times in my career. As of now I'm a 2nd Class and working on 1st and probably will get it... Because I know I can. People like me like watching people like you jump up and down and squeal when things don't go your way. Now people like YOUUUU are weak. We are grateful to see you go because you are definitely one of those who does not have what it takes to be here. I know I am probably not getting through to you, but I'm glad to know you are not in my navy. You are right, it's great to have a guaranteed paycheck every month. It's the least my tax dollars can do for me for being away from family for months/years on in.
Good advice for next response you have to this... Please make sure you spell check your work, don't let your fingers shake in anger on the keyboard, you did this to yourself.
Wow. Well I am a corpsman too, and I have been with the marines too, and made it through one of the navy's toughest schools ( dive school) so I am in no way weak. I was with recon in the marines, again not weak. Glad you love the navy. But people don't get out because they are weak, the Navy is full of shit. Hardworking people don't get good evals or advance, people who neglect their work, only do collateral duties, and take college courses ( most of which they do during working hours) get EP's. I came into the navy to do a job, and I have done a damn good one, but the political and all other bull shit the military is full of, is too much for a sane and STRONG man to take. Men stick up for themselves and for what is right. Yet this is not the way of the military so who's weak? also who did you deploy with?
CTR2

Honolulu, HI

#2706 Nov 23, 2012
Regardless of your personal feelings on the navy, it is, indisputably, very hard on family life. Especially the early years of marriage and the lives of your children.
If you are able to provide for your family any other way, I would say get out, otherwise, be prepared to be a stranger to your children.

- 5 Year USN (separated)
Bog Saget

Luling, LA

#2707 Nov 26, 2012
I feel like most of the people who have commented on this thread are either A. Butt Hurt that they've never been recognized in the Navy as someone competent enough for a promotion, B. Don't know what they're talking about, C. Didn't know shit about what they were signing up for, or D. Bitter over something that has no real business being translated over to someone else's past or future experiences.
It's relative. It is all freaking relative and YES--you /can't/ really expect someone to have the same shitty experiences that you've had.
Honestly, everyone I've talked to about joining the Navy or Air Force has given me straight answers. This, my fucking strangers, includes the good, the bad, and the ugly. The ugly is pretty goddamn ugly by the way. But you know what? If you want to serve you're going to have deal with it. Suck it up and stop whining about how unfair and cooperate the Navy is. The hell did you think you were joining?
Like holy crap. If you thought that you could escape politics by joining ANY military branch, you're probably a conceited elitist who isn't nearly as smart as you think you are. You've also probably have been living under a rock.

I see a lot of complaining on this thread about people getting treated like shit and getting denied grade advancements and bullshit like that. All I can say is no duh.
To the dude that goes: "Oh gee, well I'm an intelligent bloke and all I do each and every day is get bossed around by some thumb sucking dick fresh out of OTS. And oh? My job? It sucks! Here I am with a 91 on my ASVAB and I'm scraping gum off the floors and painting the ships pretty pale pink for the guys who spit on my boots and call me Darling."
You're an idiot.
By the way, the Air Force is just as bad. You get screwed over there too--probably more so. Advancements are a lot slower, they'll screw up your orders and make you wait for forever to get new ones, and they will LIE about your "future" job's deployment rates.
The posts on this thread are truly disgusting.
Bog Saget

Luling, LA

#2708 Nov 26, 2012
By the way, if you've gotten screwed over EVER: You probably weren't doing it right.

It's a nasty world out there. Learn to keep up and do what you have to do, what you NEED to do, or forever be doomed to bitch and complain on forums like this.

Cynicism may patch up your bruised ego along the way. I mean, we don't live in Utopia, so stop expecting everything to work out just SWIMMINGLY for you.

And really, some people just don't have what it takes. Take the time to do some extensive research on what you're joining before you do so. At least then when you get fucked over, because there is no "if", you can take it in stride and MAYBE even flip it over to work for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Illinois Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Illinois lottery scam? (Feb '10) Oct 20 Butchieboy 219
robbing a bank to pay another bank and the henc... Oct 17 r getting paid an... 1
News Pawar picks Cairo mayor as running mate Oct 12 over here 7
dcfs tearing apart familie (Mar '06) Oct 11 Hannah Gibson 1,322
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) Oct 3 ABC 52,051
News Ill. state employee union calls on Legislature ... (Jan '10) Oct 1 C Kersey 2
News Morning Spin: How Rauner signing abortion bill ... Oct 1 Le Jimbo 1
More from around the web