Trapped in Tamms: Inmates in Illinois' only supermax prison face battle proving mistreatment

Aug 3, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Belleville News

Anthony Gay always fought back. Even in first grade he was quick with his fists, especially when kids mocked his temper or taunted him because he lived with foster parents.

Comments
21 - 40 of 45 Comments Last updated Jun 20, 2013
Give me the gun

Baldwin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

I would gladly shoot each one of these prisoners in the face, they are never going to get out and they don't deserve to. Their a waste of life and my money.
Hack Alert

Wheaton, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

Give me the gun wrote:
I would gladly shoot each one of these prisoners in the face, they are never going to get out and they don't deserve to. Their a waste of life and my money.
Spoken like a true prison town guard who was picked on as a kid. YOU are a waste of taxpayer money too screw!!!
Jim

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2012

Stelbell wrote:
People are so quick to judge. Unless you been to Tamms or know someone in there shut up because you don't have a clue. It is deplorable and everyone that thinks that everyone in prison never was a tax paying citizen are idiots. And another point I would like to make is what do we need court system for if we want to through people in holes and let them rot. Tamms cost 60,000 per prisoner and usually it's 18,000 per prisoner I as a tax paying citizen says stop paying the extra money to torture people when the state is broke. Some people go to Tamms because they fight for prison rights or complain too much or are targeted for being whistle blowers and everyone incarcerated are people and should be treated like humans at least and they do have to pay for dental maybe not a lot but what the hell Illinois and all the other states are making money off of prisons it's a business you idiots. It's suppose to be rehabilitation, do you want to live next door to someone who may have been in a bar fight and killed someone in self defense and is incarcerated in Tamms and been locked up like a dog alone thinking crazy and hateful all the time he was in prison. With your attitude I hope he moves next door to you so you can share your views all of incarcerated people Mr. Know NOthing At all.
. You are a total dumbass i have worked around these animals for 21 years and you could let these basturds out of their cells yourself and they would rape and kill you and your family just like they did someone elses. They have it way to good they should be executed
Jim

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2012

Stelbell wrote:
<quoted text>So have you been to Tamms No because if you had been you know they are locked away and cannot have contact of any kind and they do pay a small amount for dental care. The prison system is a business and Tamms is costing the state 4 times what normal prisons cost and for what to torture humans. What does that say about the society that we live and and people like you. No one is playing chess in there but with themselves. And the meals I give my dog better and the medical is not better so what are you saying you want a suite there you couldn't handle it anyway that't why you have to time to write about something you know nothing about.
. I have been there ive worked around these pathetic pieces of shit for several years they are not now nor have they ever been mistreated at tamms but they are worthless and should all be executed for their crimes so why dont you shut the hell up cause your liberal dumbass has obviously never been there. I wish you could be allowed in there amongst those animals lets just see if the same basturds your defending would rape and kill you or if they are just misunderstood and mistreated. You are pathetic
Free Market

Wheaton, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2012

Well, the market will adjust my friends and the former employees of tamms will go back to cooking meth for a living. Meth of course being the southern Illinois cash crop of choice.
tom

Marion, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2012

lock them down and flush the key. ask yourself does the person are family get to see there love one they harmed are killed. why should a person who takes another life even get to see tomorrow, you talk about the cost of keeping them there, well a bullet is chep to me there no better then a mad dog.
fbf

Baldwin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

I'm not a prison guard.
Browngirl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

Judged:

I visited Tamms with a childhood friend. If I could read his prison file then I would feel different, but he is a smart, intelligent young man being housed in Tamms for a murder he didnt commit on the streets. Yes he has been in prison for over 18 years. Doing his up bringing in the prison system he has had to protect himself for other inmates and also big headed guards who over step their authority. This landed him in Tamms. He has sat in Tamms for over 10 years and the original agreement was to keep inmates there for only a year. Now get this Everytime I visit the prison the staff give good reports on him. So why hasnt he been transfered out? Im down with housing criminals where they belong, but im against holding innocent men and turning them into dangerous criminals. Our very own prison system should be strict, but it should also be one that rebuilds and not destroy.
hate prisoners

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2012

Browngirl wrote:
I visited Tamms with a childhood friend. If I could read his prison file then I would feel different, but he is a smart, intelligent young man being housed in Tamms for a murder he didnt commit on the streets. Yes he has been in prison for over 18 years. Doing his up bringing in the prison system he has had to protect himself for other inmates and also big headed guards who over step their authority. This landed him in Tamms. He has sat in Tamms for over 10 years and the original agreement was to keep inmates there for only a year. Now get this Everytime I visit the prison the staff give good reports on him. So why hasnt he been transfered out? Im down with housing criminals where they belong, but im against holding innocent men and turning them into dangerous criminals. Our very own prison system should be strict, but it should also be one that rebuilds and not destroy.
A majority of the prisoners, if not all of them- claim they're innocent, were railroaded, unjustly convicted or just simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. I call bullshit. America needs to just stop housing these criminals- just start shooting them point blank in the head after conviction! If the convict lives past a bullet then that would be God telling the judge and jury that the accused convict was innocent after all. If you're bad enough to where you land your stupid ass in jail or prison- you should be bad enough to face your punishment. Bet the Americans crime rates would either come to an end or at least to a screeching decline drastically.
Britnie

Kalamazoo, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2012

Dusk wrote:
<quoted text>
So Dawnie, I guess your meal ticket is coming to an end.
Hey Dawnie or whoever you are, You better get to voting cause like ole Mitt says if you dont vote for him your fired anyway. LOL! Now dont forget. You have already been pink slipped too. So why sell your poor soul anymore.
Olive Branch Mayor

Villa Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2012

Stelbell wrote:
People are so quick to judge. Unless you been to Tamms or know someone in there shut up because you don't have a clue. It is deplorable and everyone that thinks that everyone in prison never was a tax paying citizen are idiots. And another point I would like to make is what do we need court system for if we want to through people in holes and let them rot. Tamms cost 60,000 per prisoner and usually it's 18,000 per prisoner I as a tax paying citizen says stop paying the extra money to torture people when the state is broke. Some people go to Tamms because they fight for prison rights or complain too much or are targeted for being whistle blowers and everyone incarcerated are people and should be treated like humans at least and they do have to pay for dental maybe not a lot but what the hell Illinois and all the other states are making money off of prisons it's a business you idiots. It's suppose to be rehabilitation, do you want to live next door to someone who may have been in a bar fight and killed someone in self defense and is incarcerated in Tamms and been locked up like a dog alone thinking crazy and hateful all the time he was in prison. With your attitude I hope he moves next door to you so you can share your views all of incarcerated people Mr. Know NOthing At all.
How long were you incarcerated there? I know you are a bleeding heart liberal. Vote Romney
Mary Ann

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

I worked for a jail and I think when they have been convicted and sent to a prison, they should only have what they need. No one put them there but their self. I had to work for insurance, food, clothes, they get all this free, plus education, exercise room, free tv and cable. Let one of their victim family have them for 1 hour
tom

Herrin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

I think that they should all be chained together and made to work. pulling weeds.out of fild's road sides,are what ever, if they try to run shoot to kill,If they don't want to work.are pull there own weight, go on put them to sleep for ever. they dont need rights.they aren't there for being good boys, so put them to hard work are death
Meth Heaven

Wheaton, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2012

tom wrote:
I think that they should all be chained together and made to work. pulling weeds.out of fild's road sides,are what ever, if they try to run shoot to kill,If they don't want to work.are pull there own weight, go on put them to sleep for ever. they dont need rights.they aren't there for being good boys, so put them to hard work are death
Tom, besides Tamms what else makes the Alexander County so prosperous? For that matter, what about southern Illinois in general?
Browngirl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Give me the gun wrote:
are you serious......... You wouldnt last a day in the life. And one things for sure you wouldnt have the guts to pull the trigger. Because most killers move in silence not on internet blogs.
Browngirl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Britnie wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Dawnie or whoever you are, You better get to voting cause like ole Mitt says if you dont vote for him your fired anyway. LOL! Now dont forget. You have already been pink slipped too. So why sell your poor soul anymore.
THATS A GOOD ONE....... Lol! And I cant wait until they finish vacating.
Hard-Hearted

Sullivan, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

cassie wrote:
Well said Dawn. Although what you say about the inmates may be true, I certainly dont agree with the isolation the men are in. I do know that to play chess, they have to scream out their moves, make their own chess boards, no games aloud in Tamms. They cannot even have a jigsaw to pass the time. To me, it smacks of third world conditions and these men are being driven insane without the touch of a human, a kiss from a mother etc.
Yes, they are criminals, and bad boys, but for God's sake, this is inhumane treatment. The sooner the place is shut down, the better.
I bet you would'nt say that if one of those poor mistreated thugs had shot one of your loved ones in the head or shot you in the knee caps!!! if you want to feel sorry for someone or some thing take in a stray dog or cat.The scum in that supermax is there for a reason and I hope they all rot there!!!
Browngirl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

Hard-Hearted wrote:
<quoted text>I bet you would'nt say that if one of those poor mistreated thugs had shot one of your loved ones in the head or shot you in the knee caps!!! if you want to feel sorry for someone or some thing take in a stray dog or cat.The scum in that supermax is there for a reason and I hope they all rot there!!!
poor mistreated thugs huh? I dont agree with the name calling because they are human beings. Yes they are. And get this Tamms is being closed down and those same thugs are being moved. AS OF TODAY TAMMS will be history in a couple of weeks. You claim you hope they rot there, but God has said it aint so and it wont be. So stop wishing for the worse and look for the best. Their mistreated anytime a guard put cuffs on them then beat them. Now who's the animal?
Browngirl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Hell yeah! TAMMS IS CLOSING DOWN! And all you bloggers who were talking all that slick mess about shooting them and letting them rot, you better hope they dont get a hold of your blog. Lol. Dont get scared now....... Their about to be transferred. Hahahahaha. And no more supermax in tamms. Hell I was tired of the drive.
Christy

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Dawn wrote:
<quoted text>
I work at Tamms - you have no clue what you are talking about. Your relative who told you this crap is a liar. Inmates at Tamms talk to other inmates & they play chess all the time. They call out there move to the cell below/above them & then that person calls his move back to that person & so on. They talk to other inmates in the wing constantly! These inmates pay $5.00 to see a doctor/nurse & their meds are free. When is the last time you went to see the doctor for $5 & got your meds for free? None of the men at Tamms are these because they were trying to prove that they were mistreated at other facilites - no matter what your relative may have told you. ALL of the inmates at Tamms are there because they raped/murdered/assaulted other inmates &/or staff at previous facilities where they were housed. Most of these inmates also attempted to escape from these other facilites. YOU are being lied to by a master manipulator - these are the kinds of people that are in Tamms. Maybe your relative shouldn't have committed the crimes that landed him in prion. Maybe he shouldn't have committed the crimes that earned him his way into Tamms. Want to talk about torture? I would love people like you to read the files of these "poor inmates" to see what they are really like. Talk to their victims & you'll see what the word 'toture' really means.
Sorry Dawn but you are incorrect when you say that every inmate that goes to Tamms has either raped/murdered/assaulted other inmates or staff at previous facilities. I know for a fact that there was an inmate that was sent to Tamms and was kept there for a little over 6 years and he went without ever having so much as a "ticket". He did not rape, murder, or assault anyone in prison. I have all of his records.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Illinois Forum right now

Search the Illinois Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 13 hr Terry rigsby 48,944
Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) Sun newpoly 1,864
Illinois lottery scam? (Feb '10) Jul 26 Playin kid 130
Hannah Montana concert (Dec '07) Jul 25 Big mike 6
Obama Won't Arm Ukraine Because He Led the Disa... Jul 23 Lansing-News 1
Rauner keeps up push for Illinois term limits Jul 22 Corrupt Democrats 1
The Fed is dumpig illegals in Illinois. Jul 21 Bob Rooney 1
"The Navy" The worst thing you can do to yourself (Apr '06) Jul 8 outty 2,754
•••
•••