Jailing of attorney defies explanation

Jailing of attorney defies explanation

There are 304 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 22, 2009, titled Jailing of attorney defies explanation. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Nancy Murphy, a longtime family court lawyer, almost collapsed outside the Daley Center.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Taxpayer

United States

#1 May 23, 2009
Wht was the mom in court for n the first place?
Stephanie

United States

#2 May 23, 2009
Did you read this at all? She is an attorney - she was representing a client seeking child support in a domestic relations matter. This is absolutely shameful and I would love to know the whole story. Judge Lopez should be ashamed of himself. There was no reason to deny bail.
Mr Bill

Melrose Park, IL

#3 May 23, 2009
....judge here is another daley lackie...needs to be voted out and the feds should investtagate another "greylord" here....chicago = corruption = daleys mob.....
A Cops point of view

Des Plaines, IL

#4 May 23, 2009
And Judge LOpez is wondering why his name isnt on the short list for the Supreme Court nomination
Just another arrogant Judge who thinks he's GOD in his courtroom. He should be contacting her personnally with and explainantion
No mistake

Chicago, IL

#5 May 23, 2009
Taxpayer wrote:
Wht was the mom in court for n the first place?
Read the article.
Darrel

Round Lake, IL

#6 May 23, 2009
Let's hope the judge gets a similar night in the slammer.
POl

Romeoville, IL

#7 May 23, 2009
Her husband if he was half a man would find the judge and kick the crap out of him.
momofthree

Yorkville, IL

#8 May 23, 2009
The male Domestic Relations judges in Chicago are an appalling group. They hate women and coddle men.

Judge Lopez should be premanently stripped of his robes. If he does this to attorneys, how do you think he treats the women who come before him petitioning for child support?
CLG

Chicago, IL

#10 May 23, 2009
most of those 30th floor post-dec divorces judges are all a bunch of whack jobs. I've been up there for clients and it's a crap shoot. They're really big on contempt lately.
EJC

Gypsum, CO

#12 May 23, 2009
Mr. Kass -
Although this particular judge clearly has a screw loose, this sounds like a much larger story. Something is clearly wrong in this division of Cook Cty. courts. It is very likely a dumping ground for incompetent elected judges or corrupt a la Greylord. Please use your considerable powers of investigation and reporting to break this disgusting situation wide open. It really stinks.
Henry Bowman

Las Vegas, NV

#13 May 23, 2009
If you knew what people in different parts of the country think about Chicago, Cook County and the state of Illinois it would shock you. Outright CONTEMPT is about the best thing they say. The question that I am constantly asked is how could you stand it? I smile and say at least I got out. The second question is how many governors have been locked up and who is the next pol to go? Yep just a GREAT Reputation all over the country.
KPOM

United States

#16 May 23, 2009
It sounds like a case of intimidation, plain and simple. Did she win a few cases or represent someone in a controversial case?
tim

Chicago, IL

#17 May 23, 2009
Judge Lopez if you had a decent explanation you'd have offered it by now. Judges need to be held accountable, too. Yet those who oversee Lopez don't have the guts to speak up. This is appalling.
WoW

Chicago, IL

#18 May 23, 2009
Calling chief judge Evans fair is a dis-service to the word fair and the word judge.

The nepotism and cronyism that he presides over is equal to anything at City Hall.
Chicago

Woodridge, IL

#19 May 23, 2009
Corruption is everywhere. More than twenty years ago I tried to help my cousin by paying a huge attorney fee. I knew he was going to get major time but tried anyway. The attorney said don't worry about it, disappeared into the judge's chambers before court and when the time came, my cousin got a concurrent 18 months when he should've gotten years. The judicial system is a joke all over. Mr. Kass, keep up your reporting.
Tom and Karen

Coppell, TX

#20 May 23, 2009
The only problem with Operation Greylord was that it stopped too soon. In the first iteration, it was lawyers paying off the judges. Now its probably the gangbangers who are the source of the funds.
Dave

Chicago, IL

#21 May 23, 2009
cabbie wrote:
The Monadnock building is at Dearborn and Jackson and does not overlook Millenium Park. It is nowhere near 111 North Wabash. Are all your facts as accurate as that one?
The building itself does not overlook Millenium Park but from the top floor, there is probably a good view of it. It's only a few blocks away.
Sheila

Williamston, MI

#22 May 23, 2009
This is outrageous! The justice system is going haywire! John Kass - please keep digging until you find the truth. Being jailed for no apparent reason on the word of 1 man and denied bail? The justice system and the political system in Illinois is incredibly corrupt - I am profoundly disgusted. I am moving out of this nasty state in two weeks - I am very thankful.
Taxpayer

United States

#23 May 23, 2009
OK, I even read it again.

"a child support case"?

Only Rahm gets to be this vague and walk away unquestioned.
No mistake wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the article.
Yeah right

United States

#24 May 23, 2009
Silly Joe, I thought you liked Obama.
Joe wrote:
A minority judge. Maybe we should select based on merit rather than affirmative action.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Illinois Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News George Will: All eyes turn to Illinois for an i... Nov 19 Rick Perry s Closet 1
News St. Clair County resident wins $300,000 Illinoi... Nov 17 BornRaised314Stl 3
News Fox's Gretchen Carlson said "connotation" of Ob... (Mar '08) Nov 17 Geriatric pride 3
News Keystone pipeline leaks 210K gallons of oil in ... Nov 16 Erratic Mind 1
News Former Hells Angels Leader Sentenced (Nov '06) Nov 14 Straight things 269
News Arizona sued for seizing money wired from Illinois (Oct '06) Nov 11 The Old Wolf 2
Thanks, Russeann Nov 9 Crew 2
More from around the web