Carbon tax would spike area power bills

May 19, 2009 Full story: Thegleaner.com 97

Power costs in Kentucky and Illinois would shoot up under federal carbon tax legislation targeting states heavily dependent on coal-fired electricity.

Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Guy Mann Dude

Russellville, KY

#1 May 19, 2009
why does this suprise anyone?

The BOOGEYMAN, aka MAN MADE GLOBAL WARMING (the planet goes in cycles. Manmade c02 accounts for....drum roll please.....6% of all CO2.) will be the next great way the public will be deceived into giving up their money.

The planet IS warming, but it isn't us. And guess what happens when you have more CO2 in the air???

More plants. They really dig CO2, see..

I was an eco-nut many years ago. After MUCH research, I realized...

we ARE polluting the planet. No doubt. But to say we are affecting climate change??

Total junk science. The largest number of scientists that espouse otherwise are affiliated with the United Nations, who need a worlwide problem in order to have WORLDWIDE CONTROL.

It is a powergrab.

Do the research. Perhaps you will have a flexible mind and realize, as I have, that the CO2/climate change paradigm that asshole Al Gore preaches is bullshit.
YouAskedForHimYo uGotHim

Elizabethtown, KY

#2 May 20, 2009
Where's all that anti-Republican rahrah for Obama now you people that voted for this noob? Oh no we cant vote for a Republican because we dont like Bush. WTF is wrong with the voting public anyway. You actually fell for his BS that he would fix the economy quick, reduce taxes, fix the deficit, etc - he hasnt been in 6 months and already he's 180 degrees from November. People will never learn but now we ALL have this nitwit wanting to cover increased taxes in some BS tax on basically air. If they mandated scrubbers or cleaner sources of coal or modification of coal to reduce carbon (which by the way we are all carbon based life forms) then the increase in electrical costs would be understandable but this is nothing more than some make up tax in the name of environmental protection. We need this guy out, now.
Walther

Hampton, VA

#3 May 20, 2009
Here's your hope and change you morons! Voted for Obama? You are officially an idiot and you hate America. Do you see what you've done? Do you see the millions of people out of work because of Obama and the Democrats? Do you see how your taxes keep going up and up? Do you see how you've totally destroyed this country? Nice work fu__ckwads!
Fun Facts

AOL

#4 May 20, 2009
If money can fix it, it's not the climate that is broken.
Jack Schidt

Houston, TX

#5 May 20, 2009
YOUR M-A-N Obama......is..........ta-da.. .....RAISING YOUR TAXES..........those doofuses out there who "thought" he said that anyone making UNDER......I repeat.......U-N-D-E-R $250,000 WON'T HAVE THEIR TAXES RAISED..........well.......... GUESS WHAT F-O-O-L.........he is going to RAISE YOUR TAXES ANYWAY........by making your electric bill SO LARGE YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO PAY IT. And what does that mean???? Well......let's see........YOU will be going to get WELFARE........even more than you do now......you IDIOT PORCHSITTER who can't pick their nose and walk at the same time.
YouAskedForHimYo uGotHim

Elizabethtown, KY

#6 May 20, 2009
Guy Mann Dude wrote:
Do the research. Perhaps you will have a flexible mind and realize, as I have, that the CO2/climate change paradigm that asshole Al Gore preaches is bullshit.
Couldnt have said it better myself. Besides why are WE the ones that get it up the butt to "save the world" when China (who is gigantic compared to us) has ZERO pollution controls - they are way worse than the US has ever been in history. Besides what all of us make in a year can be done real quick - one major volcanic eruption.

As I mentioned above, these Dems have the general population brain dead and following this crap.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#7 May 20, 2009
Congressional elections, November next year. If we get higher taxes, throw the bums out.

“Denying those who deny nature”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#8 May 20, 2009
The peart that people are not seeing is that not only your electric bills will go up. The cost of everything produced in the states will go up and more manufactoring jobs will leave the country along with other jobs that do not require direct face to face with the customer.
YouAskedForHimYo uGotHim

Elizabethtown, KY

#9 May 20, 2009
tina anne wrote:
The peart that people are not seeing is that not only your electric bills will go up. The cost of everything produced in the states will go up and more manufactoring jobs will leave the country along with other jobs that do not require direct face to face with the customer.
Exactly - anything that deals with electricity. Even coal mines use electricity for a lot of the equipment. Just pumping fuel out of the underground tanks at your local gas station takes a fair amount. Guess it's time to polish up the oil lamps like we had to in late January when the ice storm came through.

Norfolk va

#10 May 20, 2009
YouAskedForHimYouGotHim wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly - anything that deals with electricity. Even coal mines use electricity for a lot of the equipment. Just pumping fuel out of the underground tanks at your local gas station takes a fair amount. Guess it's time to polish up the oil lamps like we had to in late January when the ice storm came through.
Not to mention get out that old pot belly stove for heating and cooking. Or a bucket and rope to get water out of the well.
YouAskedForHimYo uGotHim

Elizabethtown, KY

#11 May 20, 2009
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to mention get out that old pot belly stove for heating and cooking. Or a bucket and rope to get water out of the well.
Out where we are, rural KY, that's a normal thing in many places to heat with wood and draw water from a spring but the bulk of the people have either county water off a main or have wells - and you are right - no power, no water. We have both types of heat - woodstove and LP central heat/air. Cant run the furnace without electricity but we can run our LP stove and oven.

So much for progress - modern utilities and improvements are politician's taxable items. Ride a horse and you'll get there slower but you wont pay for tags, license, insurance, road tax, fuel, etc.
whitehair

Mount Washington, KY

#12 May 20, 2009
The idea of cap and trade is one Al Gore came up with from Europe or out of his lamebrain somewhere.He will of course get some job or position to run the gov`t entity controling this.What a joke this has become!Not only will Obama`s promise to help the poor and the middle class put all of us in debt to the eyeballs with this bail out of any and all,but the cap and trade will send out of sight all heat and electric bill.Help us? Maybe Rev.Wright taught him to damn us!!Not many of us out of work can afford our bills now,what will we do with double heat and electric bills.!???If we last long enough,we better vote all out of Congress and get a different President.
MoreFactLessHype

Hamilton, Canada

#13 May 20, 2009
Cap and trade means political pwower to avboid real change. Carbon tax will actually make a difference because you can't lobby for 'permits to pollute'.

Carbon charge with rebate will increase fuel price at the pump, penalizing waste, while not cutting income for the smart consumer.

Since: May 09

United States

#14 May 20, 2009
Brian_G wrote:
Congressional elections, November next year. If we get higher taxes, throw the bums out.
Amen!!Don't wait for the tax increase to come.Vote them all out and send a message that we want change.Not just a change of face,Real change and quit spending us into the poorhouse!!

Since: May 09

United States

#15 May 20, 2009
whitehair wrote:
The idea of cap and trade is one Al Gore came up with from Europe or out of his lamebrain somewhere.He will of course get some job or position to run the gov`t entity controling this.What a joke this has become!Not only will Obama`s promise to help the poor and the middle class put all of us in debt to the eyeballs with this bail out of any and all,but the cap and trade will send out of sight all heat and electric bill.Help us? Maybe Rev.Wright taught him to damn us!!Not many of us out of work can afford our bills now,what will we do with double heat and electric bills.!???If we last long enough,we better vote all out of Congress and get a different President.
I saw a report on Al Gore that said if these "Global BS" laws pass that he will become the first billionnare of this kind.His movie was faked.The UN put out a memo that acknowledged "Global Warming" was made up to pass laws that will raise taxes.This is insane that this bs is still an issue at all!!
MoreFactLessHype

Hamilton, Canada

#16 May 20, 2009
So one vote for 'change' as a synonym for 'status quo' and one vote for censue of Al Gore for waking up the nation to the problem.

I think you overestmate Al Gores influence and totally underestimate the rejection of the 'status quo'.
Madam

Barnesville, OH

#17 May 20, 2009
Yep welcome to the new world order
www.infowars.com

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#18 May 21, 2009
We need to Cap spending,
Or we will Trade those bums for representative who will!
Sugaray

Goldonna, LA

#19 May 21, 2009
More to come from BUCKWHEAT OBAMA He's just getting started. what a DISGRACE.

Norfolk va

#20 May 21, 2009
YouAskedForHimYouGotHim wrote:
<quoted text>
Out where we are, rural KY, that's a normal thing in many places to heat with wood and draw water from a spring but the bulk of the people have either county water off a main or have wells - and you are right - no power, no water. We have both types of heat - woodstove and LP central heat/air. Cant run the furnace without electricity but we can run our LP stove and oven.
So much for progress - modern utilities and improvements are politician's taxable items. Ride a horse and you'll get there slower but you wont pay for tags, license, insurance, road tax, fuel, etc.
I grew up on a farm and our primary heat source was wood. My dad used a chain saw to cut that wood. Very few people cut wood without a chain saw or a truck to haul it.

They would tax horses for the amounts of methane they emit as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Illinois Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr KiMerde 51,255
Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 12 hr Justice1313 1,972
Former Hells Angels Leader Sentenced (Nov '06) Thu Mike 141
Tuesday's election will be hard to take sober Dec 18 swedenforever 190
GOP Victory Sets Stage for Fresh Antiabortion... Dec 17 tha Professor 78
U.S navy Dec 15 Justin 1
Governor Blagojevich being forced to put commit... (Jun '06) Dec 13 Banana Hammock 16
More from around the web